Garmin service?

br549

A sad tale to tell. Grand daughter got a hold of my Garmin Rino 120 and gave it flying lessons. Wife and daughter didn't catch on until after the fact. The case and outer shell held up very well but when you boot up and wait for the confermation that its working it keeps telling me it has poor reception, move to a clear area over head. Done that and in checking on the satelite page only shows one satelite showing like that is all its seeing. I suspect the antena has a broken wire or something. For service its a flat rate of $90 and you'll get your unit back after a period of time or a factory refurbed unit. Would it be worth my time and effort to open up my unit to see or would Garmin see it was opened and say NO to my unit being repaired for said amount. I'm interpiting this as being flat rate nonnegocitable for repairs to the unit. What have I got to loose. I am a competant tech of electronics and computers and think I could open it and see if there was anything I could do for it. Any sugjestions are appreciated.

Edited by br549

Did you call the Customer Service number, or send an email? I suspect you emailed, as that's what they usually tell you. Call them and ask to talk to someone in CS. You will get a different response. When my GPSr died, I sent an email, and they emailed back, telling me to send it in with a check for $125. I then called them, and the CS guy told me to send it in, even though it was past the warranty by 4 months! Didn't cost me a penny, (except for shipping) and I had a brand new unit in my hands 3 days later! Garmin CS is second to none, but you have to do it right...

The $90 flat rate is posted on thier web page for service after warrenty, that is now over by one year. I don't think they would warrent against the flying lessons by a grand daughter. I would like to know if any here had opened one up though.

The $90 flat rate is posted on thier web page for service after warrenty, that is now over by one year. I don't think they would warrent against the flying lessons by a grand daughter. I would like to know if any here had opened one up though.

Did you check the odometer or track log to see how fast she was able to throw it? <_<

BTW, the flat rate repair fee applies no matter what condition the unit is in, so you have nothing to loose in trying to fix it yourself.

Edited by rwsmith123