FRS/PMR channel

dragbike

FRS is Family Radio Service (USA), PMR is Professional Mobil Radio (UK). These are the small handheld walkie talkies sold everywhere. Most of them are also GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) radios (more power, more channels). The Garmin Rino series combines GPSr and FRS/GMRS radios into one unit.

Edited by The Jester

From the Geocaching FAQ (http://www.geocaching.com/faq/)

Do you have an FRS/PMR channel to find out if other Geocachers are in the area?

Yes. The community has decided on channel 2 as the primary for both FRS and PMR, and 12 as the alternate FRS (Family Radio Service) channel and 8 for the alternate PMR (Europe). FRS and PMR radios are longer distance walkie talkies, like the Motorola Talkabout.

Hmm I don't get what you guys mean for those PMR channels.. Is it channel 2 and/or 8, or is it channel 2-subchannel 8 ?

The geocaching community has agreed that PMR channel 2 will be our primary calling channel and PMR channel 8 will be our secondary calling channel. This is because, unlike broadcast radio, no one has the exclusive right to any PMR channel. So if channel 2 is currently being used by someone else first then we move to channel 8 so that we don't interrupt their conversation.

Subchannels are a different matter and we decided not to use one on either channel. Subchannels also known as selective calling isn't a separate channel of its own. What it is essentially is an ignore feature. When you have channel 2 selected you transmit on channel 2 no matter what subchannel you have selected. However only those with no subchannel selected or those that have the same subchannel as you selected will be able to hear you. A radio with a subchannel selected will still receive everything transmitted by others on that channel but it will only turn on the radios speaker so that you can hear what it is receiving only when the subchannel matches.

Using a subchannel doesn't keep your conversation from being heard by others it only keeps you from hearing everyone but the person you want to hear. That is why when listen for another geocacher on channel 2 that neither of you have a subchannel set. Otherwise one of you may be ignoring the other and not even know it.

Some geocaching clubs have decided among its members to monitor other channels. However, if you are looking to talk to other geocachers it is best to start on channel 2. If there is conversation going on already and they are not geocachers then move to channel 8 and see if you can find a geocacher there.

The GMRS channels require a license according to the regulations, but the government does not seem to care and very few bother to actually get one.

I can't speak for others, but I got mine.

on my frs/gmrs radios it says you can use

-hi and low power on 1-7 / license required for hi power

-low power on 8-14

-hi power on 15-22 / license required

1-7 = frs/gmrs

8-14 = frs

15-22 = gmrs

---------------------

here in tooele i hear kids playing on all 22 channels / they never use fcc calls

The GMRS channels require a license according to the regulations, but the government does not seem to care and very few bother to actually get one.

on my frs/gmrs radios it says you can use

-hi and low power on 1-7 / license required for hi power

-low power on 8-14

-hi power on 15-22 / license required

1-7 = frs/gmrs

8-14 = frs

15-22 = gmrs

---------------------

here in tooele i hear kids playing on all 22 channels / they never use fcc calls

here is a rundown of radio usage i have researched so far that i posted to frs-open

Yahoo! Groups

Name: CHANNEL USE

Table Description: FRS/CB/MURS/GMRS USERS - list is used to help reduce interference

CHANNEL CTCSS LOCATION USER v USE radio type cb/frs/murs/gmrs DCS

4 0 ALL 4WD CLUBS AND DRIVERS MONITOR CB

18 ? national "Black Dot" GMRS

20 ? national "Orange Dot" GMRS

16 0 Santee CA "TOTI EMUL ESTO" 4WD Club monitor CB

16 ? national "White Dot" GMRS

20 ? national (Emergency Channel) GMRS

? ? tooele utah <Q> quality chevy mechanics FRS

19 0 MISC ALL USERS CALLING, ETC CB

11 22 national AMERICAN BIRDING ASSOCIATION <ABA> BIRD WATCHERS - PRIMARY FRS

6 6 national AMERICAN BIRDING ASSOCIATION <ABA> BIRD WATCHERS - SECONDARY FRS/GMRS

5 1 UTAH ATV RIDERS secondary FRS/GMRS

5 0 UTAH ATV RIDERS primary FRS/GMRS

10 33 Eastern Massachusetts BIRD WATCHERS BIRD WATCHING FRS

10 10 Missouri BIRD WATCHERS BIRD WATCHING FRS

10 10 Utah County UTAH BIRD WATCHERS BIRDWATCHING FRS

7 7 Yolo County California BIRD WATCHERS BIRD WATCHING FRS/GMRS

8 18 Los Angeles California BIRD WATCHERS BIRD WATCHING FRS

2 12 Pinellas County Florida BIRD WATCHERS BIRD WATCHING FRS/GMRS

11 22 Illinois BIRD WATCHERS BIRD WATCHING FRS

11 22 Indiana BIRD WATCHERS BIRD WATCHING FRS

7 10 Manitoba BIRD WATCHERS BIRD WATCHING FRS/GMRS

18 0 national Caravans rv and other rec vehicles CB

1 0 ALL Citizen Radio Network (CRN) designated as the emergency channel. There are already many efforts being made by others to make this a defacto emergency channel FRS/GMRS

11 1 ALL Citizen Radio Network (CRN) should be designated as the information channel FRS

14 1 ALL Citizen Radio Network (CRN) is designated as the overflow channel. FRS

9 0 ALL Citizen Radio Network (CRN) since it is already designated as an emergency channel by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Traveler assistance is also allowed on this channel CB

11 0 ALL Citizen Radio Network (CRN) Local bulletins, traffic diversions, shelter information, etc. should be broadcast here. It can also serve as a calling frequency to contact other operators since will be the channel most important information be transmitted and should be well monitored. Once contacted, parties should move to another channel so that it does not inhibit further use of this channel CB

13 0 ALL Citizen Radio Network (CRN) is designated as a secondary or overflow channel. If things get busy on channel 11, movement of traffic to this channel is recommended. Can also be used for special operations CB

1 0 NATIONAL F-R-S network National F-R-S Call Channel FRS/GMRS

7 31 las vegas nv FJ Cruiser Car Club car club FRS/GMRS

1 0 LAKEPOINT UTAH FLYING J SCALES CB

2 0 national GEOCACHERS GEOCACHING - PRIMARY FRS/GMRS

12 0 national GEOCACHERS GEOCACHING - SECONDARY FRS

1 0 NATIONAL MILITIA ? FRS/GMRS

5 0 NATIONAL MILITIA ? FRS/GMRS

2 0 NATIONAL MILITIA ? FRS/GMRS

11 0 NATIONAL MILITIA ? FRS

14 0 NATIONAL MILITIA ? FRS

1 0 national National SOS Radio Network FRS/GMRS

5 0 new england New England Mini Owners' Club car to car/etc FRS/GMRS

7 0 reno nevada Northern California Rover Club 4wd outings FRS/GMRS

9 0 OREGON OREGON ROCKET CLUB EMERGENCY/SAFETY FRS

11 0 OREGON OREGON ROCKET CLUB ROCKET RECOVERY FRS

5 0 WENDOVER UT/NV PEPPERMILL TRUCKERS LOUNGE SHUTTLE CB

1 22 national REACT Travel Tone System FRS/GMRS

20 22 national REACT Travel Tone System GMRS

1 0 NATIONAL - INTERNATIONAL REACT COMMON CALL CHANNEL FRS/GMRS

9 0 Flagler County REACT Team 4800 TAC 1 - Emergency channel - monitored by Base Stations CB

22 0 Flagler County REACT Team 4800 TAC 2 - CB working channel CB

22 0 Flagler County REACT Team 4800 TAC 4 - GMRS Simplex working channel - Working frequency for events GMRS

20 22 Flagler County REACT Team 4800 TAC 8 - GMRS Repeater frequency, [Designated GMRS Emergency Frequency] Covering Palm Coast & Northern Flagler County GMRS

15 22 Flagler County REACT Team 4800 TAC 9 - GMRS Repeater frequency - Covering Bunnell & South Flagler County GMRS

17 25 Flagler County REACT Team 4800 TAC 10 - GMRS Repeater frequenty - Covering Flagler Beach & East Palm Coast GMRS

6 0 Flagler County REACT Team 4800 Working channel for events FRS/GMRS

6 0 NATIONAL RVS AND OTHER GROUPS OF TRAVELERS Caravanning FRS/GMRS

8 0 NATIONAL RVS AND OTHER GROUPS OF TRAVELERS CARAVANNING FRS

9 0 NATIONAL RVS AND OTHER GROUPS OF TRAVELERS CARAVANNING FRS

1 0 DRIPPING SPRINGS TEXAS THE FLIPSIDE MANIFESTO EMERGENCY/CALLING FRS/GMRS

2 0 DRIPPING SPRINGS TEXAS THE FLIPSIDE MANIFESTO Pyropolis Services Channel FRS/GMRS

3 0 DRIPPING SPRINGS TEXAS THE FLIPSIDE MANIFESTO Special Purposes Channel FRS/GMRS

8 0 NATIONAL TRUCKS CARAVANS CB

1 0 NATIONAL The National Hummer Organization ? FRS/GMRS

2 0 NATIONAL The National Hummer Organization ? FRS/GMRS

21 0 I-80 - UT/NV UPS DRIVERS CHAT CB

5 0 RUSH VALLEY & SALT FLATS UTAH UTAH ROCKET CLUB ROCKET RECOVERY FRS/GMRS

14 0 national/world Wally Byam Caravan Club <airstream owners club> wally byam control CB

2 12 arizona arizona geocaching society adopt a highway - geocaching - etc FRS/GMRS

11 22 west valley city utah backcountry.com security FRS

4 0 tooele utah construction trucks belly-dumps CB

? ? tooele utah desseret industries <D.I> FRS

14 0 misc fmca rv CB

13 0 misc good sam rv CB

8 8 tooele ut movie theatre ushers etc FRS

8 20 seattle washington outdoor group hiking, geocaching, gps, 4wd, atv, etc FRS

1 0 pennsylvania rescue international Wilderness Area General Calling Channel for non-emergencies Directions, Weather and other information. FRS/GMRS

6 17 pensylvania rescue international emergency/calling FRS/GMRS

1 0 Snohomish County sparc ? FRS/GMRS

1 11 Snohomish County sparc ? FRS/GMRS

9 0 Snohomish County sparc ? FRS

9 11 Snohomish County sparc ? FRS

10 ? Chiloquin, Oregon train mountain road FRS

6 ? Chiloquin, Oregon train mountain qth FRS/GMRS

11 ? Chiloquin, Oregon train mountain yard FRS

12 ? Chiloquin, Oregon train mountain inspection FRS

13 ? Chiloquin, Oregon train mountain control FRS

1 0 chiloquin oregon train mountain road CB

6 ? stansbery park utah uofu clinic apointment paging FRS/GMRS

4 ? tooele utah walmart MURS

11 0 national (unofficial general calling channel) CB

9 0 national (emergency channel) CB

19 0 national (unofficial trucker's channel) CB

38 0 national (lsb national calling frequency) CB

BINGO!

But that is national legislation (FCC in the USA). In Canada, Industry Canada is the regulatory body, and there is no need for a licence for GMRS here. That is nice because I can buy a FRS radio that also uses the GMRS band. The GMRS band has much higher power limit, so the range on my radio is much farther than a FRS radio. Howerver, if I ever go State Side, I can't use the GMRS channels. I don't remember the rules, but it may actualy be illegal to even bring the radio into the USA. Have to go review CFR47 Part 2.

---------------------

The thing is, the FCC doesn't go hunting violators like the British equivolent (Ofcom?). They only act on complaints. So, unless a licensed user (you) complain to the FCC, they will not take any action. If unlicenced persons are interfering with a licensed user, the FCC will take it seriously.