GPSr Screen Protection?

murfster

For a cheap and easy option, try a PDA static-cling shield, they are about 8=9 bucks for a packet of 8 or so. Cut them to size with scissors and peal off the backing paper and stick it on. One friend uses them on his GPS and also on the display of his digital camera.

I use Palm screen covers on my all my GPS screens, camera and PDA. Wait for a clearance sale at one of your local computer stores. I paid $5 for a package of 12 and each sheet covers two Garmin 60's.

I bought an InvisibleShield and trust me it's really strong. It has just one minor scratch ( which I need to look very carefully at to see it) because it fell on rocks.

Plus you can choose free shipping (It takes two weeks, however).

And if it becomes really deep-scratched, send it back and they'll ship you another one.

Thanks everyone. I ordered the Invisible Shield. I think it is worth the price to protect the investment. It is also pre cut to fit exactly.

Murfster

Based on comments here I just ordered them too for both my "Maggie" and PDA too. I found the films mentioned by others dimmed the display quite a bit. Hopefully Invisible Shield is truly invisible.

Thanks everyone. I ordered the Invisible Shield. I think it is worth the price to protect the investment. It is also pre cut to fit exactly.

Murfster

Based on comments here I just ordered them too for both my "Maggie" and PDA too. I found the films mentioned by others dimmed the display quite a bit. Hopefully Invisible Shield is truly invisible.

It isn't.... But it is as good as any other options out there. Note that on a PDA, they don't appeal to everyone as the stylus does not glide as easily.

i was looking for something to use as a screen protector the other day and i ended up

useing some packing tape. this stuff is strong and does not leave any residue. it has been on for about 2 weeks and took it off today to see how it came off.... cheap idea and can be done if u are in a hurry

Great idea. :D That one will get stored in my memory bank. :tongue:

i was looking for something to use as a screen protector the other day and i ended up

useing some packing tape. this stuff is strong and does not leave any residue. it has been on for about 2 weeks and took it off today to see how it came off.... cheap idea and can be done if u are in a hurry

Great idea. :anitongue: That one will get stored in my memory bank. :anitongue:

While it might come off quickly after two weeks, these adhesives tend to dry out over time. The plastic tape also deteriorates quickly. It is best to use something designed for removability over time. If these covers do get damaged, you want to be able to replace it without destroying the face plate you are trying to protect.

I use PDA covers and cut them to size. Apply them with water with a very small amount of dish soap added. It doesn't take much of the solution and it will help eliminate bubbles.

Edited by mtn-man

I wish I had bought one. I was out at a cache digging through rocks and afterwards noticed a HUGE gash in the screen in the shape of a "7". I checked out some local suppliers of Invishield, but they only carried them for PDAs. I ended up just buying the case protector for my Garmin. It now has a gash in the clear screen cover (I don't take care of my toys, do I?) but the unit was protected.

I wonder if those "Liquid Lense" products that are supposed to repair scratches in eyeglasses would work on the glass screen. Anyone tried that?

Great idea. :) That one will get stored in my memory bank. :laughing:

While it might come off quickly after two weeks, these adhesives tend to dry out over time. The plastic tape also deteriorates quickly. It is best to use something designed for removability over time. If these covers do get damaged, you want to be able to replace it without destroying the face plate you are trying to protect.

I use PDA covers and cut them to size. Apply them with water with a very small amount of dish soap added. It doesn't take much of the solution and it will help eliminate bubbles.

I ordered and am now using Invisible Shield screen protectors on both my GPS and PDA. Before that I'd been using protectors manufactured by Fellowes for my PDA. I love the Invisible Shield protectors, they're MUCH clearer than the others and I can't see where they dim the display at all. If I have any complaint about the Invisible Shield product it is that the stylus don't move as smoothly on the screen of the PDA but I can live with that.