Vista HCX waypoint bug?

lechwe

Just got my vista HCX yesterday and started playing with it. I entered some waypoints and then went and deleted them individually. They disappeared from then waypoint list but when I go to the map page the icons are still there. Some of them I can bring up when I click on them but others I can't. I can go to the waypoint list and they are still not there. The only way I found to make them disappear from the map page was to go through the reset page and ask that all waypoints be deleted. Has anyone else seen this problem? I just got off the phone with Garmin. The first person I talked to was rather arrogant and told me that couldn't happen. I got to talk with a software person who was very helpful and interested in the problem. He didn't have a fix but was going to submit it to teh engineers to fix. He also asked for the website here so he could read through the HCX threads and make sure Garmin was addressing any issues we are having.

Just got my vista HCX yesterday and started playing with it. I entered some waypoints and then went and deleted them individually. They disappeared from then waypoint list but when I go to the map page the icons are still there. Some of them I can bring up when I click on them but others I can't. I can go to the waypoint list and they are still not there. The only way I found to make them disappear from the map page was to go through the reset page and ask that all waypoints be deleted. Has anyone else seen this problem? I just got off the phone with Garmin. The first person I talked to was rather arrogant and told me that couldn't happen. I got to talk with a software person who was very helpful and interested in the problem. He didn't have a fix but was going to submit it to teh engineers to fix. He also asked for the website here so he could read through the HCX threads and make sure Garmin was addressing any issues we are having.

Glad to hear that Garmin is interested in reading the forum to see what issues are discussed with their products. I'd say that speaks rather highly of the company's philosophy and goes along with their unbeatable Customer Service. I am a little surprised they allowed one arrogant individual in Customer Service, maybe he won't be there for long; would hate for 1 bad apple to ruin their reputation.

Edited by eaparks

Just got my vista HCX yesterday and started playing with it. I entered some waypoints and then went and deleted them individually. They disappeared from then waypoint list but when I go to the map page the icons are still there. Some of them I can bring up when I click on them but others I can't. I can go to the waypoint list and they are still not there. The only way I found to make them disappear from the map page was to go through the reset page and ask that all waypoints be deleted. Has anyone else seen this problem?

I can't duplicate this problem on my new Vista HCx. I created and deleted several waypoints and they were deleted from both map and waypoint list. I'm running version 2.20.

I don't have this problem on my Legend HCx with software version 2.30(I also didn't see it with 2.20 before). I asked a friend who has the Vista HCx(version 2.30) and he hasn't had that problem either.

Just got my vista HCX yesterday and started playing with it. I entered some waypoints and then went and deleted them individually. They disappeared from then waypoint list but when I go to the map page the icons are still there. Some of them I can bring up when I click on them but others I can't. I can go to the waypoint list and they are still not there. The only way I found to make them disappear from the map page was to go through the reset page and ask that all waypoints be deleted. Has anyone else seen this problem?

I can't duplicate this problem on my new Vista HCx. I created and deleted several waypoints and they were deleted from both map and waypoint list. I'm running version 2.20.

I too have a Vista HCx and was unable to duplicate your issue.

In the process I discovered a peculiar thing. While panning in the map, I pressed the toggle button to create a waypoint where the arrow was pointing. However, in the Mark Waypoint window that popped up, the coords listed were for the center of the map page that I had first brought it up. No matter where I moved the arrow, this center set of coords would pop up. Then, almost miraculously, the faithful would claim, the problem fixed itself and I got a pop-up window asking if I wanted to "...create a user waypoint here". Then, I realized the problem. If I held down the toggle button too long, I would get the 1st window; but, if I pressed down and released right away, I got the window asking to create a new waypoint. Kinda odd but at least I figured this out now then out in the field.

I don't have the problem either with my Legend HCx.

Are you sure you wern't looking at your waypoints as they were sorted by "nearest" instead of by "name"? You might not see all your WP's if you are looking at just the nearest but all WP's stored will appear on the maps.

He also asked for the website here so he could read through the HCX threads and make sure Garmin was addressing any issues we are having.

They sure know about geocaching.com already. How many units they are selling just for geocaching itself!

tried it with deleting my home point and re-entering it, both times it disappeared from my map just fine.

I don't have the problem either with my Legend HCx.

Are you sure you weren't looking at your waypoints as they were sorted by "nearest" instead of by "name"? You might not see all your WP's if you are looking at just the nearest but all WP's stored will appear on the maps.

This is exactly what was happening. I am used to my map 12 showing me all of my waypoints at once. I'm really liking some of the upgrades the newer units have but the users manuals really suck. My older units have a very thorough manual and you don't have to guess.

Thanks for the input. Sorry to scare everyone with another bug.

D