HCx & EGNOS

nivko

I'm new with GPS and planning to buy one of Etrex HCx models (Legend or Vista). I've read somewhere that some people had not been able to catch any of EGNOS corrective satellites with HCx Vista (there should be 3 EGNOS satellites , 2 currently working I think). Can anyone from Europe with Etrex HCx (Legend or Vista) tell me his/her expierience? Does your HCx see EGNOS? I 've read that it works in USA with WAAS, but I'm interested in Europe with EGNOS.

Thanks.

I remember a post discussing this. I think Garmin stated once it would be compatible and later that they won't be compatible. Try a search with string EGNOS

I think you are speaking about GALILEO instead of EGNOS. Galileo is european equivalent of GPS and EGNOS is european equivalent of WAAS. I know it doesn't work with Galileo (although there were rumors that it would), but EGNOS is compatible with WAAS and it should work with it.

I live in Sweden and my Vista HCx landed two days ago. I have also had some thoughts regarding the EGNOS and my gps. I have not had time though to investigate. However, I will be outside in the forests this evening and I can check then and get back to you =)

That would be very nice from you. :blink:

Btw, european fellow, do you know how many EGNOS satellites are out there? I think there are 3, 2 of them currently working. Am I right? Do you have any information regarding it?

Edited by nivko
That would be very nice from you. :blink:

Btw, european fellow, do you know how many EGNOS satellites are out there? I think there are 3, 2 of them currently working. Am I right? Do you have any information regarding it?

As a matter of fact, I had no idea about EGNOS until yesterday when there was some thread regarding the WAAS satelites. I searched on wikipedia and saw that WAAS is North America only and thats when I first heard of EGNOS which also can be read about at wikipedia. They also have som links to ESA about EGNOS. Have not had time to check them out though... still at work :blink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGNOS

@hedtjarn

So, does HCX Vista work with EGNOS? Have you tried?

I have had the WAAS/EGNOS as enabled when I am using the GPS but I don't get any confirmation that I actualy receive signals. But then again, I looked at the coverage maps from ESA and the part of Sweden I live in is outside of the main coverage area so to say =P I have to do som emore testing I think...

Edited by hedtjarn

I have a 60CSx, and from where I am in Kent, England the unit can receive signal from (as I recall) EGNOS satellite No.s 33, 37 and 39, though not all at the same time. This is confirmed by getting 'D's in the bottom of the satellite reception bars. It would be inconceivable that the new improved 'H' models wouldn't be able to receive these signals as well.

Where I am, I seem to only get the EGNOS satellites when I have a low horizon view, so not that often when in a built-up town environment. But I would add that the improvement in accuracy is not that noticeable compared to simply getting lots of nice strong bars on the 'normal' satellites.

Added:

[There is a bug in the software of the new 'H' series units that switches off WAAS/EGNOS reception by mistake. This may have something to do with the problem you describe in not picking up EGNOS satellite signals. I'm not sure if you can override the problem by switching reception back on when the unit is powered up.]

Edited by jonners

Hello,

I'm in Switzerland and have an etrex Vista CX. Egnos works fine and I obtain a precision down to 2 - 3 meters. One condition, you need to have a good view to the south where the Egnos satellites are.

You can see if you receive the Egnos signals. In the satellite page, on the bar showing the satellite, you will see a little d when you receive Egnos for this satellite.

Egnos has nothing to do with Galileo!

Regards

I have had the WAAS/EGNOS as enabled when I am using the GPS but I don't get any confirmation that I actualy receive signals. But then again, I looked at the coverage maps from ESA and the part of Sweden I live in is outside of the main coverage area so to say =P I have to do som emore testing I think...

Where did you find coverage maps from ESA? Can you give me a link?