Canada AM Story on geocaching

HomerJFong

Here is the article to go along with the video clip. The article is pretty basic although I think they could use a little work on their math skills.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...808?hub=SciTech

In Canada, estimates of cache sites number over 7,000. Quebec is estimated to have 6,400 and B.C. is believed to host 5,500 sites.
<_< Well, yes that would be over 7000. <_<

Cheers!

Bill

Edited by ace862

Three cheers for Sticky Moose and her support for geocaching. A simple explanation in the very short period of time allowed by CTV on CANADA AM - but, 'Sticky Moose' had a positive influence on wanna-be geocachers. She was on the eastern Canada feed as well as the western Canada feed; AND, the CTV.CA news article made the weekly Geocaching.com newsletter as well. Three Cheers - I say!

But then, I'm somewhat prejudiced, living so close to the 'Geocaching Capital of Canada'.

Three cheers for Sticky Moose and her support for geocaching. A simple explanation in the very short period of time allowed by CTV on CANADA AM - but, 'Sticky Moose' had a positive influence on wanna-be geocachers. She was on the eastern Canada feed as well as the western Canada feed; AND, the CTV.CA news article made the weekly Geocaching.com newsletter as well. Three Cheers - I say!

But then, I'm somewhat prejudiced, living so close to the 'Geocaching Capital of Canada'.

I really enjoyed watching the segment on Canada AM the other day. It was very informative, relaxed and flowed nicely. Great job, Sticky Moose. Well done!

Because of this segment we are thinking of heading up to the Geocaching Capital of Canada for the Thanksgiving weekend for some caching and sightseeing and plus I have never been to that part of Ontario before. Now my question is, any recommended reasonably priced hotels/motels/places to stay in Wilberforce or the surrounding area? I couldn't find anything when I did a search.

Mostly it's motels and resorts throughout that area, there are motels and hotels both in Bancroft, I believe in Haliburton as well, and also Minden. (I just can't recall about Wilberforce off top of my head.....) Some places are seasonal, so making sure they are available is a good idea. (Though more are year round these days because of the amount of winter snowmobiling and other activities.) I can likely think up some names though if you are searching.

You will find that travelling 20-30 mins in that area is common from town to town. Also...keep in mind.....though I can check, October may be moose season, and there is moose hunting in those areas. Some hunter orange is always a good idea during any open seasons. (I can also check on exact dates for that too....I know deer season is November, with moose before, just don't remember when exactly.) Moose season in that area used to be only a one week season, I would guess it's still the case.

Caching...well....haven't cached up that way yet, so I'm not a good one for recommendations yet. Sightseeing....well....though others may disagree, I find thanksgiving almost hits exactly the peak of the fall colours between here and Algonquin, though it does depend on weather. As far as the sightseeing goes.....my best advice, get out caching and you will likely see the best sights (non-tourist related at least) that there are. There are old rail trails in some areas, old mines and quarrys throughout the area, lots of lakes and rivers too of course. You'll be a little late for swimming unless we have an exceptionally warm fall.

Greywynd