Cache Material?

I've had an idea brewing for my first cache hide, and I recently got out to do some research into possible materials for use in constructing it. So far my best bets are to use either PVC pipe, or galvanized steel sheet metal. Each has its pros and cons as far as cost and left-over scrap, but I was wondering if anyone had some input on which might be best as far as environmental exposure was concerned. It's going to be a camouflaged cache (though not in the sense of woodland camouflage, more like mimicry camouflage), pretty much out in the open 24/7, so it needs to stand up to the elements. Which would be better to use, PVC or galvanized steel sheeting? Either way, it's going to be painted before being placed.

Edited by ScarabDrowner

As far as PVC pipe, as has been noted in other threads, those can be mistaken for pipe bombs. The reaction by authorities, while sometimes humorous, can be somewhat intimidating. (There's nothing like watching a bomb squad robot trash your PVC pipe cache to see if it will go boom)

I'd stick to something that looks as innocent as possible. I know that limits your options, but that's my opinion.

I always get really nervous when I see a PVC cache. I don't like handling them, because I'm already walking around with a little electronic box, traipsing around the woods or lurking around the back side of a park, now I'm futzing around with something that looks like the a bomb. And I've never known them to be especially good at keeping water out. People don't use teflon tape on the threads, not that it would do any good since they're being opened and closed so often, it would wear out anyway. Sheet metal might be okay as an outer housing for a cache, but I'd still go with something more watertight inside of that. Ammocans, Lock & Locks, and old Thermoses have worked well for us.

The OP is using the "mimicry" method of camo, which means the container will like things that are already there or are common to the area. Maybe a utility box or a drain cleanout. An ammo can won't cut it, unless he can make an outer container larger enough to fit an ammo can inside. Actually, that might work... SD - how big is the sheet metal object? If the actual container is inside, then it doesn't matter if the outer container is completely waterproof as long as any water that gets in can drain out the bottom. The best TB hotel I've ever seen is similar to that... a fake utility box strapped to a light pole using metal bands with a slightly smaller lock-n-lock inside. The outer box has a combination lock on the hasp with the combination indicated in the online description. It's labeled as a "Geocache Monitoring Station" in smallish official looking type on the front.

As for the actual question... hand-making a waterproof sheetmetal container would be extremely difficult unless you have the proper tools and experience. Since it sounds like the object will be fixed in place and not just lieing around, a PVC pipe might work if it's oriented vertically. Seal the bottom with an end cap and use a threaded clean-out type cover for the top. Or a tight slip-on cap using a short piece of slightly larger pipe as a "knocker".

But if you're planning on making this look like a sewer clean-out, remember that digging is against the guidelines.

the container will have an inside and outside. the outer part will be about 8 inches in diameter, and maybe 3 feet tall. I seriously doubt it'll be mistaken for a bomb if I make it out of PVC. If I go with either pvc or metal, the top section will be caulked and sealed as much as possible, though it will be open at the bottom. No holes will be dug, as a few tent stakes will be attached to the bottom to help keep it oriented right. It will be completely above-ground, and in full view.

Right now I'm just concerned with what to make the outer casing out of... the internal container and how it's supported is left for a future stroke of inspiration.

I found what would be considered a micro PVC cache. It was half inch PVC about 3 inches long. One cap was sealed and the other was on very tight. It was stuck upside down inside some old poison ivy vines. Log book was dry. My hands got poison ivy. Still wouldn't recommend making one though. Anything bigger than that really would look like a pipe bomb.

So, judging by the replies so far, it seems people would suggest I go with the sheet metal, but only because of the fear that something made of pvc might look like a bomb. Thanks for that input, though it's not quite the info I was asking for. It may be a valid concern for other pvc caches, but I believe the sheer size and detailing would put this one out of the "potential pipe bomb" category.

So, does anyone have any input on which material would stand up to the elements better? I already know about how waterproof it will or will not be, so no need to worry about that. More like, how long will pvc last sitting out in the GA sun? How long might I expect a galvanized steel container to last in this humidity before it starts to rust? Which one would last longer and require less maintenance on the container than on the contents?

So, judging by the replies so far, it seems people would suggest I go with the sheet metal, but only because of the fear that something made of pvc might look like a bomb. Thanks for that input, though it's not quite the info I was asking for. It may be a valid concern for other pvc caches, but I believe the sheer size and detailing would put this one out of the "potential pipe bomb" category.

So, does anyone have any input on which material would stand up to the elements better? I already know about how waterproof it will or will not be, so no need to worry about that. More like, how long will pvc last sitting out in the GA sun? How long might I expect a galvanized steel container to last in this humidity before it starts to rust? Which one would last longer and require less maintenance on the container than on the contents?

There should be enough real life examples of these two materials available in any urban area in the state of GA. You'll get a much better idea by observing the material in the environment you are going to use it in.

Edited by Team GeoBlast
What's wrong with a lock and lock? Wally World sells them sells them in several sizes and even round ones. Pretty cheap to boot, and they stand up to the weather.

I may use a lock and lock on the inside, but unless they make lock and locks that are approximately 8 inches in diameter and 3 feet tall, then no it won't work for this project.

So a lock&lock or an ammo can wouldn't work for your idea?

not for the external container, but perhaps for the inside, once the external is finished.

There should be enough real life examples of these two materials available in any urban area in the state of GA. You'll get a much better idea by observing the material in the environment you are going to use it in.

true, but that only gains me info on the current state of those materials. I would have no idea how long they've been in the environment. If I find something made of the sheet metal I'm considering using, and it's rusted in spots, how would I know if it's been out there for a month or 5 years? I was hoping someone with first-hand experience with these materials might be able to help.

Edited by ScarabDrowner

true, but that only gains me info on the current state of those materials. I would have no idea how long they've been in the environment. If I find something made of the sheet metal I'm considering using, and it's rusted in spots, how would I know if it's been out there for a month or 5 years? I was hoping someone with first-hand experience with these materials might be able to help.

New materials are a dead giveaway to an experienced Geocacher. The goal should be for your cache to match the "current state of those materials" where you want them to blend. New is your enemy. If the sheet metal is in your area is rusted in a few spots, then that is what your cache should look like. Try to work with naturally aged material it's cheaper and it's more covert.

Edited by Team GeoBlast