Bad mannered Cacher

Trinka518

Instead of accepting the risks of having a travel bug in the wild, travel bug owners have invented "rules" for travel bug and promulgated them in the forum as if they are official rules.

The only 'rule' I see is a dislike for a cache with rules on how visiting cachers are supposed to handle other people's travel bugs when visiting that cache.

And I will continue to state my dislike for such a cache rule, here and anywhere else I choose.

Perhaps I could chime in here...seeing how I'm directly involved...

So, the family and I are new to caching. I've been trying to learn the in's and out's and and whatnot. I now see and understand the point about why TB hotels are up for debate - really, I do. I understand why the "1 for 1 rule" might not have been appropriate and why keeping so many in one place could cause a problem. Really, I do. So please give me a break and recognize that this has been a learning experience.

Now, allow me to elaborate on why we were so stinking upset. You all know as well as I do that Highpointer could have gotten in touch with us (I'm referring to the "official" owner and I) to convey his concerns. But he didn't. Do you know what he did? He left a nasty note in our log book - even asking other cachers not to leave TB's or coins in our cache. Part of the title of our cache had it's name crossed out...we're assuming he was responsible for that too. Then he took ALL of the bugs. Hey, we want to see these bugs move along just as much as everyone else...we were just hoping they could pass through our cache, that's all. He didn't post anything about it or let us know what had happened and one of our little girls went to check on it only to find it empty. Nice.

So maybe we shouldn't have called them "our" bugs, but we just wanted them to feel at home! We know they aren't OURS, but they're part of the geocaching community and, up until now, we had a feeling of unity in our little part of the world.

I see and hear all of your points. I guess I just wish that he would have given us a little more consideration. It seems like he doesn't respect us, as fellow geocachers, - the game - or the cache itself. It's been a learning experience and we value the feedback from well experienced cachers like Highpointer. We just don't understand why it was so mean spirited on his behalf.

I think you're right on. Travel bug angst from all sides is annoying, but this guys "save the bugs" campaign irritates more than anything you did with the cache setup.

Moral to the story: stay away from the bugs. Far away. People are nutty about them.

I think both sides are bad on this one.

The guy who took all the TBs out is a jerk for passing judgment on their safety or the safety of the cache without contacting the cache owner about it. Yes, bugs are supposed to be moved, but it was out of line for them to take them all out of an active cache at once. It's stuff like this that harbors bad will and gets people to quit caching.

The cache owner, however, over reacted to it and was a jerk in the first place for hoarding bugs to place in a hotel. And I can see why they would want to make the rule of trade a bug for a bug so the cache doesn't go empty, but in the spirit of bugs, it's really not a good rule.

Then what really upset me was the log about the sick child. In my opinion that was just tacky.

I'll just make it a point not to go to that area and geocache.