Laminating

jeffgorc

I recently tried the self-seal adhesive laminating pouches and was not happy with the results. The adhesive became gooey and the lamination leaked. The paper got wet even with minimal moisture. I really don't want to buy one of those heat laminating machines because I'm not going to use it that often and they can be expensive. I'm really just looking to laminate stash notes.

So what has been your experience? Can the heat ones work with just using an iron?

After the self-sealing pouches failed miserably for me, in early 2005 I purchased a cheap laminating machine at Wal-Mart. "Duck" is the manufacturer of both the machine and the packages of laminating sheets. For around $40, as I recall, I got both the machine and a large supply of sheets in assorted sizes, for everything from stash notes to multicache clue cards to travel bug goal cards. I'm nowhere close to running out of lamination sleeves, and I've never had a problem with anything I've laminated.

I do not have to laminate things often. I go to kinkos. the one here charges $1.99 for letter and legal size papers, there are smaller sizes available cheaper. I go there to laminate the cards I attach to travel bugs. I laminate several on the legal size. Only costs a couple dollars to laminate 6-8 cards.

I haven't had problems with the 3M self-laminating sheets. You have to make sure to give them a good 1/4 inch seal along the edge. Don't cut it close.

Same here. They're sturdy and cheap. I use them for a lot of things -- including an "In Case of Emergency" card that's always with me.

I bought a laminating machine for 90 bucks. I got it just for geocaching stash notes, but wound up using it for a lot more so it was worth it.

If you are laminating something small just use clear packing tape. I use this method for the little notes I include with my geocoins. I take a length of packing tape, stick the note to one side, then fold the tape over and trim.

Works great.

Edited by briansnat

Xyron -- they make small and large ones, available at Michael's and other craft stores. Can't quote the price off the top of my head -- but with the 50% coupon they run it shouldn't be too bad.

Or you could check on Ebay.

I've got one. It works reasonably well. And you can get sticker rolls for the machine too and make your own stickers and labels. As mentioned above, don't cut too close. I'd suggest letting your stuff sit a little while and see how much it separates the laminate before cutting. I trimmed a bit too close and had it "open up" so to speak within a few minutes. Kind of a drawback of adhesive laminates versus heat.

My only complaint on the laminating material is that you can't write no it. My plan was to make calling card with a line for find number and date that could be filled in later, but that didn't work out. :(

Edited by wandererrob
I recently tried the self-seal adhesive laminating pouches and was not happy with the results. The adhesive became gooey and the lamination leaked. The paper got wet even with minimal moisture. I really don't want to buy one of those heat laminating machines because I'm not going to use it that often and they can be expensive. I'm really just looking to laminate stash notes.

So what has been your experience? Can the heat ones work with just using an iron?

I've laminated tags for some of my travel bugs very cheaply and it worked great. I bought the small size laminating pouches at Office Depot. They have them for business cards, etc. I put the tag into the pouch and then put the pouch into the cardboard sleeve that you are supposed to run through the laminating machine. I then put that inside of a small washcloth and ironed it with the iron on the highest setting. I turned it over and ironed the other side as well making sure that each side had been heated very thoroughly. I am extremely satisfied with the result.

Great subject, thanks for bringing it up.

The machines that use heat and a roller are far superior to any other home laminating solution out there. You can find the smaller 3 x 5 laminating machines for under 25.00 on eBay or as stated a new one will run you about 40.00 at Walmart. If you own a lot of caches, this is a very worthwhile investment. I liked mine so much that I bought a full sized one for my office and have found all kinds of uses for it. I laminated 15 full sized found it logs for give away at our CITO event and they were pretty popular.

Laminating really makes sense for Found it Notes but there's a lot of other uses for caching too. I like to laminate the instruction card on my TBs and my sig cards I leave in caches. My advice is to invest in one if at all possible.

Thanks for the all the great input. Sounds like everyone has a way that works great for them. The ones I used were SelfSeal Repositionable by GIBC. Any of the above ideas should work better. I will also heed the advice about not cutting too close.

Thanks

Thanks for the all the great input. Sounds like everyone has a way that works great for them. The ones I used were SelfSeal Repositionable by GIBC. Any of the above ideas should work better. I will also heed the advice about not cutting too close.

Thanks

Let us know your results. I certainly can't afford to check them all out.

I'd like to hear about your choices.

After the self-sealing pouches failed miserably for me, in early 2005 I purchased a cheap laminating machine at Wal-Mart. "Duck" is the manufacturer of both the machine and the packages of laminating sheets. For around $40, as I recall, I got both the machine and a large supply of sheets in assorted sizes, for everything from stash notes to multicache clue cards to travel bug goal cards. I'm nowhere close to running out of lamination sleeves, and I've never had a problem with anything I've laminated.

We use this as well and it works great for us. Even after getting beat up in the Librarian.

About writing on the lamination from Xyron -- I haven't tried this myself, but it might work. Rub the surface with alcohol and try a sharpie.

There is some coating on it that repels adhesive, perhaps it repels ink as well.

I'll try it out. I was astounded when paint markers and even an industrial Sharpie from work wouldn't stick! <_<

Those industrial Sharpies write on anything! (well, almost apparently)

I purchased a 4" laminator at Staples and use it to laminate all my cache notes and all my TB tags. I also make a small lainated card that fits in a geocoin pouch that explains travelers and says "Don't take me".

A laminator is an inexpensive way to ensure that you are not creating moisture issues when adding paper to a cache, I wish everyone would buy a laminator. :(

I also laminate items that are made of paper that I find in my caches if they are geocaching related, I remove the item, take it home and laminate it and then replace it on my next visit.

I make sure there is a good border on everything I laminate, with no sealed border laminating becomes a waste of time because moisture just seeps in a splits the laminate. Laminating really improves the life of items and it can turn a plain card into a neat sig item. I have relaminated quite a few TB tags that were done with tape or cold laminate, the heat laminate is effective and inexpensive.

That said I have one bit of advice : If you get a 4" laminator just skip over the little packages of custom sized laminates (business card size, luggage tag size etc) and buy the large bulk packages of 81/2 x 11 laminate. They are 3 mil rather than 5 but the difference is minor and doesn't impact the result. Cut the larger sheets down to size for whatever you are laminating, this will save you a lot of money.

I purchased a 4" laminator at Staples and use it to laminate all my cache notes and all my TB tags. I also make a small lainated card that fits in a geocoin pouch that explains travelers and says "Don't take me".

A laminator is an inexpensive way to ensure that you are not creating moisture issues when adding paper to a cache, I wish everyone would buy a laminator. :lol:

I also laminate items that are made of paper that I find in my caches if they are geocaching related, I remove the item, take it home and laminate it and then replace it on my next visit.

I make sure there is a good border on everything I laminate, with no sealed border laminating becomes a waste of time because moisture just seeps in a splits the laminate. Laminating really improves the life of items and it can turn a plain card into a neat sig item. I have relaminated quite a few TB tags that were done with tape or cold laminate, the heat laminate is effective and inexpensive.

That said I have one bit of advice : If you get a 4" laminator just skip over the little packages of custom sized laminates (business card size, luggage tag size etc) and buy the large bulk packages of 81/2 x 11 laminate. They are 3 mil rather than 5 but the difference is minor and doesn't impact the result. Cut the larger sheets down to size for whatever you are laminating, this will save you a lot of money.

Gotta go with you there! My 4" laminator has served quite well over the years.

I also bought the same machine and the front edge curls pretty bad but it seals really well and I have never had it leak or discolor. Price per page is about 50 cents and the warm up time is pretty slow. Still a real good way to go. I like it. Place it, feed it, done. Dry map. I use it for back packing cause my back pack has a pocket made for it. It is hard to fold after Laminated, so you got to have a pack to put it in. You could hand carry or roll it up.