Garmin 76CSx vs eTrex Vista HCx

kcls

Hello All -

I'm looking to buy a new GPS primarily for geocaching. Its cost is not an issue. I like gadgets with all the bells and whistles. It seems like the 76CSx and the Vista HCx are at the top of the line for handheld GPS units. I like the fact that the 76CSx floats (we're sometimes on a boat) but with the Vista HCx being newer - does it have other features or better sensitivity? How long has the 76CSx been out for? Is it due for a refresh?

Thanks for the info!

Edited by kcls

The two units' primary differences are the form factor. The 76 is much bigger, and has its buttons on the front. That makes it great in a car or boat where you can prop it up and hit the buttons to make it work. The Vista is smaller, lighter, and has buttons on the side. That makes it nice for hiking and use in cold weather while wearing gloves (that is speculation, as we southeast Texans rarely wear gloves). The smaller screen on the Vista makes it a little harder to use for us old cogers with a bit of presbyopia.

Both have "high sensitivity" chips that make them very accurate. The 76 uses a SiRF III chip. The Vista uses a different model that is purported to use less power. The 76 has been out (in the x version) for about a year, but its older brother, the MAP76CS, has been around for lots longer. The Vista's big brother (the non-h version), has been around for about as long.

You can't go wrong with either of these units. My advice is to go to a good sporting goods store where you can hold both (or at least hold their older siblings) and see what feels best to you.

IMO- You are talking about the right brand but might be leaving out a great candidate. I have a Vista and I had an E-map (predecessor to the 76CSx). I now use a GPSMAP 60CSx. The satellite reception on my 60CSx blows my other GPSs in to the weeds. It’s easy to use and the screen looks great.

I don’t have any direct experience with the 76CSx so I don’t know how good its reception is, but I used have to carry my Vista upright in my hand at all times in order to maintain satellite connection and it would quite often still lose connection in wooded areas. Loss of connection has never been a problem with my 60CSx; I hang it around my neck and head off, confident that it is tracking my route.

In other words they are all good units but if your GPS doesn’t maintain connection to the satellites it’s just dead weight. So I would urge you to consider the 60CSx.

I have the 60CSx which is similar to the 76 CSx except in form. The new Vista HCX should have the same sensitive reception than the 60/76. The key differences for me - the screen is larger on the 60 but it is dimmer and not as crisp as the Vista. The difference in screen brightness is very evident during the daytime. I now have a Vista cx and hcx. The hcx arrived yesterday so I'm still playing with it to assess its capabilities. Quick assessment - great reception, much better than the cx.

With the new features of the Vista hcx look for a price break on the 60 and 76 since the Vista HCx now has nearly the same specs.

I have the 60CSx which is similar to the 76 CSx except in form. The new Vista HCX should have the same sensitive reception than the 60/76. The key differences for me - the screen is larger on the 60 but it is dimmer and not as crisp as the Vista. The difference in screen brightness is very evident during the daytime. I now have a Vista cx and hcx. The hcx arrived yesterday so I'm still playing with it to assess its capabilities. Quick assessment - great reception, much better than the cx.

With the new features of the Vista hcx look for a price break on the 60 and 76 since the Vista HCx now has nearly the same specs.

:blink: If you go to http://www8.garmin.com/whatsNew/currentpromotions/ you will see that Garmin is offering a $50 rebate on their 60s and other promotions. My $.02 worth...

I can't comment on the HCX, but I've recently bought a 76CSx and I'm very impressed with it. I'd previously been using my dad's old (monochrome) Legend and wasn't overly impressed with it. It didn't like tree canopies, which wasn't a lot of use for where I was walking (but it didn't present him with problems because he tends to hike in open spaces like moors). The 76CSx works really well by comparison. I can get a signal in my living room, so trees present no problems. The accuracy seems very good too, even though I hardly ever get WAAS (I'm in Europe).

The base maps weren't very good (not much detail) but I soon discovered a utility to convert Open Street Map maps to Garmin format. Much cheaper than buying City Navigator or topo maps.