Magellan Triton series

Actually, they do have it on their website. If you go to magellan and get to the Products, then GPS units, then pick Triton. Go to your model and click on Products and Support. Towards the bottom of the text there is a section for updates of firmware. If the model has any available, it will say it and the ones I've seen in the past tell you to go to your VP software for it.

Good luck all, we took back two units.

Following those links, only the "product support" links for the 500 and 2000 models show that there is an update available, and there is no date, so there is no way to tell how current the update is. The 200, 300, 400, and 1500 still show "Updates/Upgrades There are no updates for this product."

You're correct, as that is all that I saw too. I was just mentioning that they do have it on their site. Is it kept up with? Clearly not. Hopefully, it will be in the future. Unfortunately, when you try to contact their support via email, they don't list the Triton as a product either. I wrote the webmaster on Magellan about that issue, but they don't seem to be doing anything about it. From what I understand though, Vantage Point is supposed to alert you when your unit has available updates. Why would you need the notices online? We had our two units for a very short time, but when we tried it out, it immediately told us on VP that we had updates available. Is your software not alerting you?

Following those links, only the "product support" links for the 500 and 2000 models show that there is an update available, and there is no date, so there is no way to tell how current the update is. The 200, 300, 400, and 1500 still show "Updates/Upgrades There are no updates for this product."

The website is out of date then. There are updates for the 300 that I know of. You have to use VantagePoint to update.

The website is out of date then.

imagine that.. :unsure:

i am SO done with maggie

I think it's a shame that they dropped the ball with this one. We were really looking forward to upgrading with Magellan because we were so happy with our older one. We tried two units and neither would function even after the updates. But, I do think that they will get the firmware fixed in time. Hopefully, they won't lose too many customers in the meantime.

I think you'll start seeing some of that happen when the new Colorado comes out though too. They've been advertising full capabilities with Wherigo and paperless caching, but that's not the whole truth either. I think they are going to find some unhappy customers after the purchase. In my opinion, both companies messed up this round.

Why would you need the notices online?

1) Because it's easier and faster to start up an internet browser than to start up VantagePoint.

2) I only have VantagePoint installed on one of my computers. I have internet access from a variety of places and computers.

3) Because the Magellan website itself says that it is "where you can find out what's happening"

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

OK,.. when I was first introduced to caching, I had a nuvi 650,.. it worked really well for paperless caching and would stand up to 4 hours on a charge,.. 2 years later the unit won't last 20 minutes,..

I'm not made of money... I just want a unit that will load my gpx file and l;et me cache.

So after considering my money angle I ended up with a Triton 300,.. now I can't get it to load the file so that I can even read the cache list as a GCxxxx

can anybody give me a clue ???

I'm just not up to a $300 to $500 gps just to cache...

Try this...

Changing Map Datum

1. Press Menu->view->Settings->Navagation

2. Where it says Map Datum(second one Down), make sure WGS84 is selected.

Changing coordinate systems

Here you go...

1. Menu->View->Settings->Navagation

2. Highlight Lat/Long Press Select(You may need to press it twice) It should say...Accuracy

3. Change that to Deg/Min.MMM

Downloading Caches...

You have to use Magellan's VantagePoint software.

You need to be a premium member to download gpx files. If you are not a premium member, follow the same procedure using the .loc files, except for the use of pocket queries; and you will not get the info listed at the bottom, only the location of the caches..

You can use either step 2a, 2b or 2c to get the caches from the website in VP.

1. On the page of a cache, click GPX eXchange File(or LOC Waypoint File) and save it to your hard drive; I organized mine into different folders, basically by city(I usually name them the same as on the website; make sure that the file name ends in .gpx or .loc(accordingly))

2. Choose option a, b or c.

a. Upload the .gpx/.loc file into Vantage point; from Vantage Point software, click the Import Icon, 3rd from the left; then select the file from your hard drive. You can only do one file at a time, pain in the butt.

b. To import multiple gpx/loc files at once, open the folder that contains the gpx/loc files and open VP. Select the files(hold down CTRL and click the ones you want); then drag them into VP

c. Create a Pocket Query; unzip zip it; then import in into VP.

3. Transfer the file to GPSr. Connect your unit the the computer via usb. Then Click the Transfer From PC to My GPS icon where it says Snyc. Then a window will popup and to can select waypoints or geocaches; I uncheck both boxes. Then click the plus sign next to geocaches; then chech the boxes next to all the caches you want to transfer; it'll do how many ever you select. Then click OK and let it do it's thing.

What you will get on your Triton(if using .gpx files) is…

1. Name

2. Short Description

3. Long Description

4. Cache Type

5. Coordinates

6. Hint

6. Short Description

7. Long Description

Try this...

Changing Map Datum

1. Press Menu->view->Settings->Navagation

2. Where it says Map Datum(second one Down), make sure WGS84 is selected.

Changing coordinate systems

Here you go...

1. Menu->View->Settings->Navagation

2. Highlight Lat/Long Press Select(You may need to press it twice) It should say...Accuracy

3. Change that to Deg/Min.MMM

Downloading Caches...

You have to use Magellan's VantagePoint software.

You need to be a premium member to download gpx files. If you are not a premium member, follow the same procedure using the .loc files, except for the use of pocket queries; and you will not get the info listed at the bottom, only the location of the caches..

You can use either step 2a, 2b or 2c to get the caches from the website in VP.

1. On the page of a cache, click GPX eXchange File(or LOC Waypoint File) and save it to your hard drive; I organized mine into different folders, basically by city(I usually name them the same as on the website; make sure that the file name ends in .gpx or .loc(accordingly))

2. Choose option a, b or c.

a. Upload the .gpx/.loc file into Vantage point; from Vantage Point software, click the Import Icon, 3rd from the left; then select the file from your hard drive. You can only do one file at a time, pain in the butt.

b. To import multiple gpx/loc files at once, open the folder that contains the gpx/loc files and open VP. Select the files(hold down CTRL and click the ones you want); then drag them into VP

c. Create a Pocket Query; unzip zip it; then import in into VP.

3. Transfer the file to GPSr. Connect your unit the the computer via usb. Then Click the Transfer From PC to My GPS icon where it says Snyc. Then a window will popup and to can select waypoints or geocaches; I uncheck both boxes. Then click the plus sign next to geocaches; then chech the boxes next to all the caches you want to transfer; it'll do how many ever you select. Then click OK and let it do it's thing.

What you will get on your Triton(if using .gpx files) is…

1. Name

2. Short Description

3. Long Description

4. Cache Type

5. Coordinates

6. Hint

6. Short Description

7. Long Description

I am using GSAK and attemptiong to export out a gpx file from my DB filtered to only show my "not found" caches. but no matter what I try to set up. after the import through Vantage Point the cache list is not really "readable" on the Triton ? something tells me it just a small thing,.. but I am baffled at the moment..

Thank you for the info I may have to try a few things with the direstion you have given me and will let you know

I have not had much luck with GSAK and our Tritons the couple times I have tried it.

I agree - Be sure and set up your query with "have not found" checked so you only get ones you haven't already found. I also check "are active" and "I don't own" and leave everything else blank.

Then I do a shortcut to get them on the GPS - I don't even load them on Vantage Point -

Create your query - when it comes in unzip the .gpx file and save it somewhere such as your desktop (you can even rename it if you like - just keep the file extension the same). Then open Vantage point, plug in your GPS and get connected to VP, click on the VP logo in the top left of your computer screen, click on "Load GPX File to my GPS". Another screen will come up and ask you which file to load. Browse to the file on your desktop, and click it. It will automatically load everything right to the GPS. Then if you want, you can put it in VP the standard way too. I have found this to be the quickest way, with no hangups.

Do you know how to clear all the old caches and waypoints from your GPS using the 'clear all' button in Vantage Point? I do this before loading the new gpx file. Some people say they haven't found all the caches and don't want to clear them, but if you do a new query it will have those 'Not found" on there and with the most recent logs and notes too.

Good Luck and have FUN!!