Magellan Triton series

:anibad::o

This is my first post, but I wanted to give a POSITIVE review of the Triton 500.

First light:

Entered the coordinates of a cache by hand. Hmmmmm..... It tells me that the cache is 27.4 miles away. Hmmm... I am pretty sure I am only a mile or two away. Ah hah! I need to change the coordinate format!

Presto: 1.4 miles away. Hmmm.... When I get close it tells me I am "0.0" miles away. That's no good! Go to the super-duper built in electronic compass. Wooooo... a few wide swings and then settles point me to the left. I head off in that direction, cache appears to my right...I continue on until it is (nearly) exactly to my right, and make a 90 degree turn. A few steps and it swings to the right. Golly! There's a really neat tree over there. Nicely hollowed out and...inside: A cache! I have NEVER found it so easy to find a cache. I do wish it had a reading in feet, but then again, with the usual GPS wander, it was not always so helpful....

SO: moral of the story is that it is a new paradigm: but it seems to work (confirmed now with two more caches easily found).

------------------------

Okay, how about a PC update. Pulled up !Topo, (after figuring out how to do a pocket query) I easily added the caches to the map. Connected the GPS... Hmm... nada.. Zippo...Nothing happened.

Hmmm... I am directed to the Triton site to get a TOPO update. NICE: Puts a "Magellan Triton button" on the menus. Excellent. Try again: Nothing BUT: it does say I need to load the USB driver. Okay: open the "system" folder and scan for plug-n-play: Yessiree: it asks for the driver.

Voila: it now connects, transfer a BIG map complete with caches (but...don't do it this way: see below).

Hmmm. . Need the Vantage Point software.... Where is the darn CD.. Oh well: back to the Magellan site: quick download and it work. I just DRAG the .gpx file onto the VantageP map and WOW! 391 caches load. But THIS time, it loads them so that they appear on the Triton as "Geocaches" with the full .gpx data (not just a point on the map).

Thus, I download a NEW map of the same area, this time without the caches listed: Easy now, I got that down works FAST, too.

Okay, I make a trip to NYC. Took about 10 minutes to set up the Topo map, download the "pocket query", drag them on to VantageP and download (HEY: it also updated the firmware on my Triton COOL). another 200+ caches added pronto.

Okay: all told: REALLY NICE.

For a balanced review: here is the BAD

1) Screen changes on the Triton are slow. Some are VERY slow.

2) If you keep pressing buttons while it is doing something (like changing maps, or just moving through a slow screen) it FREEZES up. Sometimes comes up with a "Fatal Application Error" Dead in the water at that point. Remove the batteries, restart: boots right up and is fine.

3) Occasionally seems a little slow to initialize. But... not too sure if it is not just the conditions. Sometimes initializes very fast, soo.. maybe it is just conditions. I will need to try it more. It does seem faster, overall than my Etrex.

4) Did not seem to list the caches in "nearest" order. But then again, I have never had

Things that would make it better:

!) redo the software so that extra button clicks are suppressed (to avoid lock-up)

2) Needs a better basemap. (PLEASE: Magellan, if you are listening, get this into a firmware upgrade!!!!!!)

3) Need to show DISTANCE to cache on the compass screen (in feet! or meters! not in useless "0.0" miles.)

Hmmm... I am sure there is more.

Questions: drop me a line.

:anibad:

I have been playing further with my Triton:

Super!

I can customize the compass screen (and other screens, too). I currently have the compass screen show:

Accuracy

Distance too end

Bearing, position of sun and moon, direction of travel are all displayed graphically: COOL!!!!!

Bob

PS - Some software upgrades would be useful, but just reading the manual and seeing what it can do NOW works pretty well.

:anibad:

I have been playing further with my Triton:

Super!

I can customize the compass screen (and other screens, too). I currently have the compass screen show:

Accuracy

Distance too end

Bearing, position of sun and moon, direction of travel are all displayed graphically: COOL!!!!!

Bob

PS - Some software upgrades would be useful, but just reading the manual and seeing what it can do NOW works pretty well.

Haven't got mine in hand yet, I will write my opinion of it too when I do. You said that the compass didn't show under 0.x miles? Are you saying that when it gets under 528 ft (0.1 miles) that it doesn't show you the distance? Are you saying that you were wrong in the above post? I wasn't sure, so I wanted to ask.

:blink: I would encourage to start a separate Triton 500 thread since it's just on the market, but thanks very much for your excellent reporting thus far.

B)B)

This is my first post, but I wanted to give a POSITIVE review of the Triton 500.

First light:

Entered the coordinates of a cache by hand. Hmmmmm..... It tells me that the cache is 27.4 miles away. Hmmm... I am pretty sure I am only a mile or two away. Ah hah! I need to change the coordinate format!

Presto: 1.4 miles away. Hmmm.... When I get close it tells me I am "0.0" miles away. That's no good! Go to the super-duper built in electronic compass. Wooooo... a few wide swings and then settles point me to the left. I head off in that direction, cache appears to my right...I continue on until it is (nearly) exactly to my right, and make a 90 degree turn. A few steps and it swings to the right. Golly! There's a really neat tree over there. Nicely hollowed out and...inside: A cache! I have NEVER found it so easy to find a cache. I do wish it had a reading in feet, but then again, with the usual GPS wander, it was not always so helpful....

SO: moral of the story is that it is a new paradigm: but it seems to work (confirmed now with two more caches easily found).

------------------------

Okay, how about a PC update. Pulled up !Topo, (after figuring out how to do a pocket query) I easily added the caches to the map. Connected the GPS... Hmm... nada.. Zippo...Nothing happened.

Hmmm... I am directed to the Triton site to get a TOPO update. NICE: Puts a "Magellan Triton button" on the menus. Excellent. Try again: Nothing BUT: it does say I need to load the USB driver. Okay: open the "system" folder and scan for plug-n-play: Yessiree: it asks for the driver.

Voila: it now connects, transfer a BIG map complete with caches (but...don't do it this way: see below).

Hmmm. . Need the Vantage Point software.... Where is the darn CD.. Oh well: back to the Magellan site: quick download and it work. I just DRAG the .gpx file onto the VantageP map and WOW! 391 caches load. But THIS time, it loads them so that they appear on the Triton as "Geocaches" with the full .gpx data (not just a point on the map).

Thus, I download a NEW map of the same area, this time without the caches listed: Easy now, I got that down works FAST, too.

Okay, I make a trip to NYC. Took about 10 minutes to set up the Topo map, download the "pocket query", drag them on to VantageP and download (HEY: it also updated the firmware on my Triton COOL). another 200+ caches added pronto.

Okay: all told: REALLY NICE.

For a balanced review: here is the BAD

1) Screen changes on the Triton are slow. Some are VERY slow.

2) If you keep pressing buttons while it is doing something (like changing maps, or just moving through a slow screen) it FREEZES up. Sometimes comes up with a "Fatal Application Error" Dead in the water at that point. Remove the batteries, restart: boots right up and is fine.

3) Occasionally seems a little slow to initialize. But... not too sure if it is not just the conditions. Sometimes initializes very fast, soo.. maybe it is just conditions. I will need to try it more. It does seem faster, overall than my Etrex.

4) Did not seem to list the caches in "nearest" order. But then again, I have never had

Things that would make it better:

!) redo the software so that extra button clicks are suppressed (to avoid lock-up)

2) Needs a better basemap. (PLEASE: Magellan, if you are listening, get this into a firmware upgrade!!!!!!)

3) Need to show DISTANCE to cache on the compass screen (in feet! or meters! not in useless "0.0" miles.)

Hmmm... I am sure there is more.

Questions: drop me a line.

I just got a Triton 2000 for Christmas!! My first GPS too. After a couple frustrating days trying to figuew it out, it all came together and works wonderfully (it was operator issues, not GPS issues.. :blink: )

I am a horseback trail rider, but thought it would be fun to "get my feet wet" in geocaching, so I joined this group. Now the problem... when I tried to download a couple caches in my area I got a message that "we currently only support Garmin GPS", so..... how do I download this to a Magellan?? Or can I?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I just got a Triton 2000 for Christmas!! My first GPS too. After a couple frustrating days trying to figuew it out, it all came together and works wonderfully (it was operator issues, not GPS issues.. :blink: )

I am a horseback trail rider, but thought it would be fun to "get my feet wet" in geocaching, so I joined this group. Now the problem... when I tried to download a couple caches in my area I got a message that "we currently only support Garmin GPS", so..... how do I download this to a Magellan?? Or can I?

Where are you getting this error?

I believe Dustydew is trying to use the Send to GPS choice on geocaching.com. Garmin wrote that plugin, so it will only support Garmins. To send a cache to the Triton, you'll have to download a GPX or LOC file and send it through VantagePoint.

Ah. That would be why i've never seen that error before. :blink:

I went to "Find Geocache by Zip Code" I found many in my area. I clicked on the download icon on the far right of the listing and another box pops up called "Send to GPS: with a note stating "We currently support only Garmin™ GPS units.

Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected. Download and install now

I didn't go any farther since I don't have a Garmin GPS.

Has anyone tried to input subfolders using vantage point or the unit itself? I talked to magellan (but info is only as good as the person you're talking to.....and that's the way with any organization) and the lady told me that you could not create subfolders. All geocaches would be placed into one big folder. I asked if it was planned as a firmware upgrade and she said "maybe in the future"....which to me says she didn't know. I'm really shocked if this true as the Explorists are supposed to be able to do this (correct me if I'm wrong...I have a MeriPlatinum). Why would Magellan take away something that handy that was already used on previous units? Just doesn't make sense to me.

I also noticed in the FAQs on the magellan site that the "trails" and "trip" functions won't work now. They are supposed to be scheduled for future free upgrades. Does anyone have this functioning yet with the latest upgrade? If not, I'm a little miffed as the unit is advertised as being able to do this, not being able to do this in the future.

I went to "Find Geocache by Zip Code" I found many in my area. I clicked on the download icon on the far right of the listing and another box pops up called "Send to GPS: with a note stating "We currently support only Garmin™ GPS units.

If you go go the GC home page and put your zip code in the appropriate box and the click on the arrow just to the right of that box it will bring up a page of nearby caches. Go to the bottom right of that page and click on the "Check All" box. Then click on the "Download Waypoints". When the little box opens select "Save to disk" (we then browse to "My Documents and save"). Once the file is saved you can open VantagePoint and "Import" waypoints. When given the chance to select the type choose "Geocaching .loc" type of file and choose the file you just saved to "My Documents". The third one from the bottom in this picture.

import.jpg

VantagePoint should open that file and let you download it to your GPSr.

This should get you going.

John

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

I'm supposed to get mine in hand by the 4th, so I'll post the answer to this if I find it out before you're able to. I think it would be a shame if they don't. We were really looking for one that would, and I have a hard time believing that Magellan would take a step backwards with this. But, when you call, you have to deal with the knowledge of who answers.....and let's face it Magellan representatives, or any other company for that matter, won't necessarily have ever had one of these units in their hands, much less used it for any of the applications people are calling about. Most just have an online manual to look up answers.

Started to mess around with VP today. We'll see how that goes. Do you happen to know who wrote the software? I know it's licensed through magellan, but I'd love to talk to a tech who has a better clue than the Magellan reps do.

If you go go the GC home page and put your zip code in the appropriate box and the click on the arrow just to the right of that box it will bring up a page of nearby caches. Go to the bottom right of that page and click on the "Check All" box. Then click on the "Download Waypoints". When the little box opens select "Save to disk" (we then browse to "My Documents and save"). Once the file is saved you can open VantagePoint and "Import" waypoints. When given the chance to select the type choose "Geocaching .loc" type of file and choose the file you just saved to "My Documents". The third one from the bottom in this picture.

import.jpg

John

My current version of Vantagepoint only shows options for Meridian and GPX Exchange files. Those are the only two under import wizard. It says I have the most current version. The .loc file option along with all the others are not listed.

Has anyone tried to input subfolders using vantage point or the unit itself? I talked to magellan (but info is only as good as the person you're talking to.....and that's the way with any organization) and the lady told me that you could not create subfolders. All geocaches would be placed into one big folder. I asked if it was planned as a firmware upgrade and she said "maybe in the future"....which to me says she didn't know. I'm really shocked if this true as the Explorists are supposed to be able to do this (correct me if I'm wrong...I have a MeriPlatinum). Why would Magellan take away something that handy that was already used on previous units? Just doesn't make sense to me.

I also noticed in the FAQs on the magellan site that the "trails" and "trip" functions won't work now. They are supposed to be scheduled for future free upgrades. Does anyone have this functioning yet with the latest upgrade? If not, I'm a little miffed as the unit is advertised as being able to do this, not being able to do this in the future.

The Tritons do not seem to have the Drive/Folder/Subfolder/File system similar to the eXplorists. When you put an SD card into an eXplorist, it created the basic folders. When you put the SD into the Triton, it does not do this. My guess is that Magellan wanted to simplify the usage by making the VantagePoint software, your main interface. Not everyone is an advanced nerd as are many of us here.

Regarding the Tracks and trails, I could save a track, but could not bring it back up to view or use, on the Triton 400 (it appears that you could bring it int Vantagepoint.) For one of my main uses of a GPS unit, creating, naming and saving multiple tracks, the explorist meets my needs better than the Triton or any other GPSr.

import.jpg

John

My current version of Vantagepoint only shows options for Meridian and GPX Exchange files. Those are the only two under import wizard. It says I have the most current version. The .loc file option along with all the others are not listed.

Thats for importing files to vantage point

to export to your meridian or explorist you want the export wizard

Edited by vagabond

import.jpg

John

You might try uninstalling the version of VantagePoint that you currently have and then Download a new copy from the Magellan site and install it.

Just go to the Control Panel and select 'add/remove programs' to remove the old copy. Download and save the new copy, then double click it to install it.

You should be able to accomplish this in less than an hour if you have a high-speed internet connection.

John

import.jpg

John

You might try uninstalling the version of VantagePoint that you currently have and then Download a new copy from the Magellan site and install it.

Just go to the Control Panel and select 'add/remove programs' to remove the old copy. Download and save the new copy, then double click it to install it.

You should be able to accomplish this in less than an hour if you have a high-speed internet connection.

John

Thank you for all your help!! I was able to download the cache waypoint to my computer, then open it with VantagePoint (as waypoints, not geocaching), and then import it into my GPS (again, as waypoints, not in the geocaching section). Wa-la! There it was, just a half mile from my house. So, today I will attempt to go find my first cache!! I have signed up to take a GPS class in 2 weeks so hopefully all my other questions will be answered!!

I know this is a Triton thread, but I would like to hear from some one that has experience using the Explorist 600 or even 500 that now has a Triton and compare the two. Yes, I understand the high end models have a light, a camera, a recorder, and touch screens, but I'm talking about the GPS function. So far I just hear the Tritons are difficult to use, hard to interface to the PC, and need a firmware upgrade. Tell me what would be gained (gained means positive, not major headaches that I have read about for 11 pages of this thread so far) by upgrading to a Triton over my Explorist 600 that works great, comes right up on the PC when I plug in the USB cable, and always gets me to GZ and most of the time the cache LOL! Thanks!

I know this is a Triton thread, but I would like to hear from some one that has experience using the Explorist 600 or even 500 that now has a Triton and compare the two. Yes, I understand the high end models have a light, a camera, a recorder, and touch screens, but I'm talking about the GPS function. So far I just hear the Tritons are difficult to use, hard to interface to the PC, and need a firmware upgrade. Tell me what would be gained (gained means positive, not major headaches that I have read about for 11 pages of this thread so far) by upgrading to a Triton over my Explorist 600 that works great, comes right up on the PC when I plug in the USB cable, and always gets me to GZ and most of the time the cache LOL! Thanks!

1) Three axis electronic compass will give you the proper direction regardless of what position you hold the GPS in.

2) SiRFstar III chipset acquires and maintains a signal lock in urban or densely covered forest environment also its faster time to first fix (TTFF)

3) An external antenna connection.

4) Uses AA batteries as opposed to the AAA or rechargeable lithium-ion.

5) Backlit display can be turned off and it also has a sleep mode for the device.

6) Uses both National Geograph Topo (USGS QUADS) for better topography display and the Mapsend 3. You can toggle back and forth between the maps if needed.

7) Can have photographs attached to your waypoints or geo-cache regardless of which model. The touchscreen 2000 will let you take photos and attach them to your current location for later use.

8) SD card is on the side and not under the battery.

9) TrueFix 14 channel supports both WAAS and EGNOS (European geostationary navigational overlay service) the same as the 600 no real difference here.

10) vantagepoint software which you can actually download and try out without having to purchase.

11) overall it's more rugged especially the center toggle also the screen is inset for protection.

12) multiple user profiles to rapidly change your settings

If you're 600 fits your needs then there's really no point in getting any other GPS

The GPS handhelds I have are the SporTrak Topo, eXplorist 600, Triton 2000, Delorme PN-20, Garmin eTrex Vista Cx, forerunner 201 and 305. also Onix 400 but returned it.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

GW

Edited by Gray.Wolf

After a couple weeks of testing, here is my feedback on the Triton 2000. I have been using GPSr's since the old Garmin 12 was released. I am an IT professional, so know my way around the hardware/software. I own a Garmin 60CSx, Geko 201, and Delorme PN-20. The 60 is my main unit for caching, sea kayaking, and hiking. I have used NG Topo! since the early versions, before NG bought them. I have been a beta tester for them and participated in focus groups in SF. All that to say I ain't no rookie when it comes to this stuff.

While the promise of the feature set on this product had me ready to switch from my Garmin, the implementation is horrible. I have been testing it for about a week now. Do not buy this unit until Magellan re-releases it correctly.

Areas of problem so far:

* Random crashes. Reminds me of WIN 98. It crashes often.

* SLOW!!! It is especially slow when you switch to the map screen, the main one you use.

* No street maps

* "Nearest cache/waypoint" feature does not work. For some reason, it consistently points me to waypoints/caches at a park about 5 miles away as the closest even if I move around to different locations within the range. Can see waypoints nearby (across the street in one test), but it ignores them.

* Interface with PC is slow. Loaded my Garmin side by side with the Magellan. Garmin took about 10-15 seconds to load 900+ waypoints. Same load on the Magellan took ~2 minutes.

* Magellan on-line help is HORRIBLE! There support page does not even list the Tritons yet in many of the drop down lists. FAQ's are more marketing material then help.

I got a reply back on my post to their support email. It took them three days to respond.

* Issue: Triton is not listed on their support drop downs. Response: It is a new unit and they have not updated the web page. "Wait for some time until this unit gets updated" (Last I checked, that would be a one day job for a competent programmer.)

* Issue: "nearest" function not working on geocaches. Response: please call tech support regarding this issue. (Call to tech support number refers you back to the web page.)

* Message from tech support was obviously from someone who stuggles with writing English. Grammar errors and typos.

Well after buying and trying to get my Triton 2000 to work just well enough to cache with I had to take the unit back for a refund. I was really looking forward to getting this unit, but Magellan let me down big time. The units are barely functional and full of issues. When I started caching I had a Garmin V and decided to go with a Magellan Explorist 500(looking for color screen), then purchased a Magellan Roadmate 2200T for use in the car, then purchased the Traffic Kit and the Crossover upgrade for it. I will say that after my disappointment with the Triton and Magellan's lack of customer service and that they do not seem to want to address the issues with them, I have made he switch back to Garmin and ordered the Colorado 400T. Magellan will really have to turn things around as a company for me to decide to purchase any of their items again.

I had a Triton 500 and took it out today geocaching after 1.5 days of working and updating it and vantagepoint. I think I would rather poke my eyes out with a hot flaming razor then ever use that thing again. It was basically unusable. The find "nearest" does not work. There is only one menu to select a geocache from and you have to do it by name. Then it takes 30-45 seconds to find, then 1-2 minutes to upload info, then to get to the compass screen that directs me to the cache in feet it takes at least 5 minutes to process. My buddies with Garmins were laughing at me. The compass did not work at all and I tried to calibrate 10 or more times. IT WAS MISERABLE. I am a Magellan fan because of the superior geocaching hints and functions vs. other brands. It is nice to have difficulty, last found, etc. at your fingertips, but the Triton is the biggest piece of junk. I wanted to like it and I read every forum to find all hints and tips to make it work, but alas I returned it and got an Explorist 500le. Instantly I was relieved and caching with all confidence in short order.

Sorry Triton...YOU STINK.

I am very new to GPS's and geocaching. And, I guess I don't have much to compare my Triton 2000 to since it is my very first one.... but I love it!! I have designed and downloaded a bunch of maps (seveal MB's) from Topo without a hitch... downloaded a bunch (30-40) of geocaches from geocaching.com and today, alone, I went out and found 12 caches with no problem in a couple hours. My GPS took me RIGHT to the spots. So far it does everything I would want in a GPS. I really wanted it for horseback riding in the wilderness areas and remote areas with no trails where we just go across country. The geocaching was just a bonus to learn to use the GPS, but I a hooked now! I can't wait until this spring when I can actually ride my horse to a few caches and also hide some for other trail riders too. So, I know I am in the minority... but I am definitely keeping my Triton 2000!!

Edited by Dustydew

I am a Magellan fan because of the superior geocaching hints and functions vs. other brands.

Um... have you looked at the new Garmin Colorado? BTW, for any of you considering the Triton 2000: the price of the Colorado and Triton 2000 are pretty much the same, and the Colorado does have cache descriptions and hints.

I went into the REI in Carlsbad, CA today and played around with a Triton 2000, and I have to say I was not impressed at all. The buttons were pretty bad, even compared to my eXplorist with its funny little joystick. The touch screen was really odd and I know you'd never be able to hit some of them while riding a motorcycle. Don't even think about that. The menu structure was very confusing, and I've used all sorts of GPS devices and software (Garmin, Magellan, TomTom, CacheNav, etc.). I kept thinking "why aren't you doing what I want you to do, you stupid piece of %$#@." I really don't even think I'd want one if it were free.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa

Areas of problem so far:

* No street maps

With the instructions at tritonforum.com, I was able to get a MapSend Topo 3D map onto my 2000. This has street maps plus topo. You can also transfer DirectRoute maps using this method. Don't ask me why Magellan hasn't told anyone how to do this.

--Marky

Areas of problem so far:

* No street maps

With the instructions at tritonforum.com, I was able to get a MapSend Topo 3D map onto my 2000. This has street maps plus topo. You can also transfer DirectRoute maps using this method. Don't ask me why Magellan hasn't told anyone how to do this.

--Marky

But do the directRoute maps autoroute on the triton series? who cares If I can load street maps when it can't give me turn by turn directions.

1) Three axis electronic compass will give you the proper direction regardless of what position you hold the GPS in.

The eXplorist 600 has a 3 axis compass, doesn't it?

I'd rather have the rechargable... Good batteries are expensive these days! And you can buy spares (the Motorola cell batteries) very cheaply on eBay.

5) Backlit display can be turned off and it also has a sleep mode for the device.

You can't turn off the backlight on the 600? You can on the 400...

8) SD card is on the side and not under the battery.

That would be nice. How are they keeping it waterproof?

Edited by geowizerd

I'd rather have the rechargable... Good batteries are expensive these days! And you can buy spares (the Motorola cell batteries) very cheaply on eBay.

Why does everyone like the special batteries? I want everything to run on rechargable AAs (or AAAs)! If I'm traveling, I want to take 1 charger, not 7. Plus, then I can pull batteries out of one device to power another, in case of emergency. Standards are a good thing.

Edit: botched the quote nesting.

Edited by SiliconFiend

For those that are interested, Firmware updates for the 200, 300, 400, and 1500 will be out this week. This is direct from Magellan. No word yet on the 500 or 2000 units, but I DO know they are in final testing now.

EDIT: The 200, 300, and 1500 updates are available, through VantagePoint. The 400 will be available later this week.

Edited by miniwhip

I thought I would leave some feedback on the Triton 2000. A few issues I found so far one is the GOTO button does not work when you hold it down for 2 to 3 seconds for a quick GOTO per the user guide. Also when you place the curser over a waypoint in the map screen and press enter no waypoint information that was entered comes up . And last when you move the curser away from your current position on the map screen it does not display the distance on the screen. All these were very useful in the Explorist. I called Tech support and they said all these issues and more were going to be fixed at the next firmware release from what I understand will be in the next few weeks. Anyone else found these.

Appears the odometer is much more accurate , it recorded 11.9 miles on a 10.2 mile bicycle ride today... (confirmed distance via trackpoints, Garmin GPS, and TopoUSA software)

Still not acceptable in my opinion but a lot more accurate. I'll have to try it walking and car riding later...

Appears the odometer is much more accurate , it recorded 11.9 miles on a 10.2 mile bicycle ride today... (confirmed distance via trackpoints, Garmin GPS, and TopoUSA software)

That sounds in line with the Explorist performance (i.e., it might be as good as they get it).

Edit: the post immediately below reminded me that my comment was what I observed when using the trip odometer at low speeds--hiking. At faster speeds, it was pretty good. I would think biking should be fast enough to avoid whatever happens to inflate the hike odometer readings.)

Edited by embra

GRRRRR, just took the Explorist 100, Etrex Legend Cx and Triton 300 for a car ride

Track log is 12.627 miles

Garmin Legend Cx recorded 12.62 mile on it's odometer

Magellan Explorist recorded 12.6 mile on it's odometer (they only go to .1 of a mile)

Triton 300 recorded 18.9 miles.... ARRRRRRGHH

Car odometer recorded 12.7 miles.

Usually the Explorist 100 is within 2 percent of the Legend Cx on it's odometer, so it performed well today.

What's odd is the Triton showed a spike in it's track log of several times away from where I rode.... Maybe that accounted for the extra odometer mileage...... I'll have to do more test.

For those that are interested, Firmware updates for the 200, 300, 400, and 1500 will be out this week. This is direct from Magellan. No word yet on the 500 or 2000 units, but I DO know they are in final testing now.

EDIT: The 200, 300, and 1500 updates are available, through VantagePoint. The 400 will be available later this week.

Does anyone else find it funny that information "direct from Magellan" has to come through miniwhip forum posts? ;);)

Areas of problem so far:

* Random crashes. Reminds me of WIN 98. It crashes often.

my 2000 has not crashed (Dec 27)

* SLOW!!! It is especially slow when you switch to the map screen, the main one you use.

Not mine I have both NG and MapSend loaded

* No street maps

You mean auto routing? roads are on the maps

* "Nearest cache/waypoint" feature does not work.

Yes it not working

* Magellan on-line help is HORRIBLE!

Yes.

Look at it this way - would you WANT anyone to know you were with Magellan right now? Apparently, they do not...and I can't say that I blame them.

I'm not with Magellan. Just a dude. :huh:

Exactly my point. Magellan should be posting on their website that firmware updates for models X and Y are now available by going to Z (VantagePoint or URL). I don't see that info anywhere. Emailing "a dude" who then disseminates the info on a couple of forums (Groundspeak.com and tritonforum.com) that are known to a very small percentage of Triton customers is probably not the best way to do it.

Does Magellan even have strategy for scheduling and announcing firmware releases? Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to plan.

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

The 500 and the 2000 are the tri axis compass models, so they must have extra firmware for that. The compass seems to have issues for me, when switching to the compass screen, it does not always point North, and can take a few seconds to swing around. The leveling bubble is gone too, which has been in all models to date. I think this affects the point-to-point mod while actively in Go TO mode. I know the X600 is affected by the calibration as much as 25% if I remember the manual right. I will try a Go To with the compass turned off to see if it makes a difference. I found a cache yesterday with my T2000, and the pointer on the compass screen, was 180 Deg out at first then settled down. It seems like you can't move too fast without a flip flop affect. Give a yell wen the firmware is out the the T2000. I am ready for testing!

Look at it this way - would you WANT anyone to know you were with Magellan right now? Apparently, they do not...and I can't say that I blame them.

Does Magellan think this will all just go away, if they ignore public relations and tech support?

If you go to magellangps.com, check out the content:

Under "About Us...Careers"

Why Work for Magellan?

Because we stand firmly by our values:

Focus on the customer

We listen to our customers, understand their needs and propose customized solutions and services that meet their budget, time and delivery requirements. We create long-lasting, mutually beneficial relationships with our customers.

Under "News and Events"

This is where it all happens…or at least it's where you can find out what's happening.

If you're a member of the media, a customer looking for news, or just checking out Magellan, all your resources are right here; the latest news, Magellan® GPS products images, event information, and more.

Check back often because Magellan is on the move and there's a lot to say about global satellite navigation.

I can't remember ever clicking the "News and Events" tab and seeing anything other than that placeholder message. Maybe Magellan was just "on the move" EVERYTIME I clicked that tab.

Maybe Magellan just doesn't think this world wide web thing is the most effective way to reach customers who buy tech products?

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

Exactly my point. Magellan should be posting on their website that firmware updates for models X and Y are now available by going to Z (VantagePoint or URL). I don't see that info anywhere. Emailing "a dude" who then disseminates the info on a couple of forums (Groundspeak.com and tritonforum.com) that are known to a very small percentage of Triton customers is probably not the best way to do it.

Does Magellan even have strategy for scheduling and announcing firmware releases? Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to plan.

Actually, they do have it on their website. If you go to magellan and get to the Products, then GPS units, then pick Triton. Go to your model and click on Products and Support. Towards the bottom of the text there is a section for updates of firmware. If the model has any available, it will say it and the ones I've seen in the past tell you to go to your VP software for it.

Good luck all, we took back two units.