Magellan Triton series

You can upload waypoints and geocaches from upt, gs and many other formats on Triton using VantagePoint.

You can use imi, mgi, lqt and rmp maps.

If you put old explorist files on SD card - you won't see them, except for maps (may be).

Does that mean the files in your Triton and on the SD card are in a new file format, something other than .upt and .gs? Does VantagePoint convert files from the old formats into the new formats? I'm assuming it will handle conversion from .gpx and .loc files, right?

Regarding connector, I saw a lot of complaints about Magellan connectors, but as didn't see anyone trying to think why Magellan makes such connectors for eXplorists and Tritons when it's much cheaper to make regular miniUSB connectors and Magellan uses them on all CarNav devices.

I don't understand this statement as it seems to be incomplete.

Correct answer is IPX7. It's also an answer to a question why dedicated GPS devices is better then all PDA/smartphones.

All I know is that the makers of dedicated GPS receivers need to be very cautious or the technology will leave them mouldering in the dust. My little bluetooth GPS receiver sends awesome signals to my Palm TX which has features much more useful than an LED flashlight. The only thing the Palm lacks is sturdiness, and it can hold a multitude of geographic and navigational software.

NMEA output doesn't exist for laptops, that's why it uses serial.

NMEA output through serial cable is an industrial standard and there are lots of equipment that use serial cable for NMEA input (i.e. Nikon D2X, D2H).

NMEA signals are streaming into my Mac when I connect the USB cable to an eXplorist and have the unit set to NMEA. The stream clearly shows up in Terminal. The problem was that the mapping software companies were not aware of this and advocated serial to USB converters, but the eXplorist was USB only. When we told them that the signals were indeed coming in over USB, some of them actually got a clue and altered their software to pick up the signals. I was able to track via the USB cable on my Mac using GPSy software for instance. Serial is dead dude. Going back to it is retrograde motion. Next thing your going to tell me is that I have to use a parallel port and a 7 inch floppy disk. Transfer should be wireless via Bluetooth, or at least via USB 2 and/or Firewire. I was last using a serial port on a Mac in the last century, and it would take all night to load photos from a camera, while with USB it would take a minute.

And what would you like to do with Bluetooth?

I should be able to transfer data without hooking a silly screw-in cable to the unit, that's what. The NMEA signals for instance are not exactly moving like lightning. I've never ever had to hook a cable to my Palm to put in data, images, music, etc. I just drag the stuff into the unit via a Bluetooth hotsync. My little Bluetooth GPS, which is about the size of a small matchbox, can send tracking signals to my laptop or my Palm, so why shouldn't a dedicated GPS be able to do the same?

Edited by Parsa

Does that mean the files in your Triton and on the SD card are in a new file format, something other than .upt and .gs? Does VantagePoint convert files from the old formats into the new formats? I'm assuming it will handle conversion from .gpx and .loc files, right?

It looks like Triton doesn't store any files on SD card. And VantagePoint is able to convert from many formats. I don't remember all of them, you can download and try it for yourself.

Regarding connector, I saw a lot of complaints about Magellan connectors, but I haven't seen anyone trying to think why Magellan makes such connectors for eXplorists and Tritons when it's much cheaper to make regular miniUSB connectors and Magellan uses them on all CarNav devices.

I don't understand this statement as it seems to be incomplete.

Correct answer is IPX7. It's also an answer to a question why dedicated GPS devices are better then all PDA/smartphones.

Probably you don't understand my statement, because you don't know what IPX7 means. I'll give you a hint http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code. miniUSB connection is not IPX7 compliant, meaning that a splash or a rain drop will kill your device. Some GPS devices have a miniUSB connector under the rubber flap, but once you plug the cable the device is not IPX7 compliant anymore. These proprietary cables are specially designed to be IPX7 compliant while connected to the device.

NMEA output doesn't exist for laptops, that's why it uses serial.

NMEA output through serial cable is an industrial standard and there are lots of equipment that use serial cable for NMEA input (i.e. Nikon D2X, D2H).

NMEA signals are streaming into my Mac when I connect the USB cable to an eXplorist and have the unit set to NMEA. The stream clearly shows up in Terminal. The problem was that the mapping software companies were not aware of this and advocated serial to USB converters, but the eXplorist was USB only. When we told them that the signals were indeed coming in over USB, some of them actually got a clue and altered their software to pick up the signals. I was able to track via the USB cable on my Mac using GPSy software for instance. Serial is dead dude. Going back to it is retrograde motion. Next thing your going to tell me is that I have to use a parallel port and a 7 inch floppy disk. Transfer should be wireless via Bluetooth, or at least via USB 2 and/or Firewire. I was last using a serial port on a Mac in the last century, and it would take all night to load photos from a camera, while with USB it would take a minute.

I agree that serial is dead on consumer level computers, but it's widely used in many other areas, especially when you need the ability to withstand harsh conditions. Take a look here, for example, http://www.ruggedlaptops.us/tds/tdsranger.html

If you don't need a serial, it doesn't mean that nobody uses it. :laughing:

And what would you like to do with Bluetooth?

I should be able to transfer data without hooking a silly screw-in cable to the unit, that's what. The NMEA signals for instance are not exactly moving like lightning. I've never ever had to hook a cable to my Palm to put in data, images, music, etc. I just drag the stuff into the unit via a Bluetooth hotsync. My little Bluetooth GPS, which is about the size of a small matchbox, can send tracking signals to my laptop or my Palm, so why shouldn't a dedicated GPS be able to do the same?

Serial port at 4800 bps is more then enough for NMEA messages. Wireless connection may be good, because you'll get rid of cables, but once you get a BT chip in GPS device, you can say goodbye to electronic compass. :blink:

It looks like Triton doesn't store any files on SD card. And VantagePoint is able to convert from many formats. I don't remember all of them, you can download and try it for yourself.

If you can't store map files or cache files for different areas on the SD card, then the unit becomes worthless for those of us that use multiple maps and multiple pocket queries for our caching and benchmarking.

Sounds like this is another useless feature for the unit and Magellan has taken a major step backwards when compared to the Meridians!

John

If you can't store map files or cache files for different areas on the SD card, then the unit becomes worthless for those of us that use multiple maps and multiple pocket queries for our caching and benchmarking.

Sounds like this is another useless feature for the unit and Magellan has taken a major step backwards when compared to the Meridians!

John

What is the SD card used for, if not maps and waypoints? :laughing:

My understanding is that the SD card is for photos, sound files and Map files. I put some photos (.jpg) on the SDcard, then put it into the Triton400 and they were viewable in the unit.

If the SD card won't allow switchable waypoint files like my Merigold, I am with Johnny Vegas.

May have just persuaded me NOT to get a new Magellan GPS...

Edited by sledgehampster

I would suggest to any of you interested in purchasing a Triton to check out Tritonforums.com and look at the PDF manual for the GPSrs available on the home page. Some of the "problems" people have been claiming to find on the Tritons are due to a lack of knowledge about the unit and simply untrue. I was concerned as well as I have ordered one and am waiting for it to arrive. But found my concerns were unfounded once I started reading how customizable the screens are. I haven't read the whole manual yet, but am finding that alot of the issues brought up in this thread, simply don't exist. If the people who supposedly had these units in hand would have just read their manuals and took the time to learn the unit, they would find that what they wanted is right there in front of them.

I hate to think the worst of people, but some of the "members" who have been spouting off about this unit have only joined a few weeks ago. I have to wonder if they are sock puppets trying to cause problems, or worse, Garmin employees. Alot of people are saying they have a unit, but the places they "bought" them don't even sell the thing. I'm not saying the Triton is the Holy Grail of GPSrs, just that we all need to be a bit patient, let some people actually get the units in hand and try them out before we make rash judgements on a company as a whole. It's easy to come on here and say you purchased a unit, used it a couple of days and hated it. Try using the unit for a few weeks out on caches, not just fooling around with in your house. Then come on and give a comprehensive review. Make this a thread that helps people decide on whether or not to buy it.....don't just bash the thing before you actually learn to use it.

I currently have a Meridian Platinum and love it. The thing is always dead on with caches, no bugs, no problems whatsoever. When I called Magellan to inquire about the Triton units, I had great service and they spoke clear English. I'm not doubting that some people have had difficulties with the customer service department as I'm hard pressed to find any customer service department in any company that runs smoothly. Most are a pain in the ***. But I am happy to say that I haven't had to deal with their customer service with my unit as I haven't had any problems. I'd rather say that than have a unit breaking down that requires good customer service any day.

I would suggest to any of you interested in purchasing a Triton to check out Tritonforums.com and look at the PDF manual for the GPSrs available on the home page. Some of the "problems" people have been claiming to find on the Tritons are due to a lack of knowledge about the unit and simply untrue. I was concerned as well as I have ordered one and am waiting for it to arrive. But found my concerns were unfounded once I started reading how customizable the screens are. I haven't read the whole manual yet, but am finding that alot of the issues brought up in this thread, simply don't exist. If the people who supposedly had these units in hand would have just read their manuals and took the time to learn the unit, they would find that what they wanted is right there in front of them.

I hate to think the worst of people, but some of the "members" who have been spouting off about this unit have only joined a few weeks ago. I have to wonder if they are sock puppets trying to cause problems, or worse, Garmin employees. Alot of people are saying they have a unit, but the places they "bought" them don't even sell the thing. I'm not saying the Triton is the Holy Grail of GPSrs, just that we all need to be a bit patient, let some people actually get the units in hand and try them out before we make rash judgements on a company as a whole. It's easy to come on here and say you purchased a unit, used it a couple of days and hated it. Try using the unit for a few weeks out on caches, not just fooling around with in your house. Then come on and give a comprehensive review. Make this a thread that helps people decide on whether or not to buy it.....don't just bash the thing before you actually learn to use it.

I currently have a Meridian Platinum and love it. The thing is always dead on with caches, no bugs, no problems whatsoever. When I called Magellan to inquire about the Triton units, I had great service and they spoke clear English. I'm not doubting that some people have had difficulties with the customer service department as I'm hard pressed to find any customer service department in any company that runs smoothly. Most are a pain in the ***. But I am happy to say that I haven't had to deal with their customer service with my unit as I haven't had any problems. I'd rather say that than have a unit breaking down that requires good customer service any day.

I agree. If people would check thr Triton forum they would see how well the unit is working for those who read the manual and learn the unit. The comment about not being able to load maps or more than one waypoint is just retarded! Come on, READ THE MANUAL. And maybe the Garmin freaks should worry about other things than trying to bash Magellan. I have owned 3 different Magellans and loved them all! And no, I'm not a Magellan employee or retailer. Both Garmin and Magellan make great GPS units. Just pick the one you want and leave everybody to their own choice.

[...snip...]

I'm not saying the Triton is the Holy Grail of GPSrs, just that we all need to be a bit patient, let some people actually get the units in hand and try them out before we make rash judgements on a company as a whole. It's easy to come on here and say you purchased a unit, used it a couple of days and hated it. Try using the unit for a few weeks out on caches, not just fooling around with in your house. Then come on and give a comprehensive review. Make this a thread that helps people decide on whether or not to buy it.....don't just bash the thing before you actually learn to use it.

[...snip...]

Ok, I'll go for that. I do want people that buy it to give objective reviews. Every GPSr has pluses and minuses. Right now I'm using my ancient Garmin 12XL because my eXplorist 500 decided to just stop working. (It's beyond warranty, so it's probably not even worth paying to fix. It got splashed with water, and a day later it dies... so much for water resistance standards.) The 12XL is super rugged, gets very strong signals and is very easy to navigate through its menus, but has no features like a modern GPSr. I still found over 2000 caches with it though. It's been dropped multiple times, whacked by boulders, submerged in water, you name it and it still works great.

I am just a bit sad that the great feature of having an SD card is emasculated by not allowing files to be saved to it. Seems really dumb to me if it is indeed true. I bought the eXplorist because it allowed the simple text files that make up the POI, geocache and map files to simply be dragged into my SD card from my Macintosh hard drive. I could make files using GpsBabel and put them onto the SD card and in my computer for storage. I didn't need to use the Magellan software except for making maps, and I just got on a PC, made the maps I'd need, put them on the SD card, then copied them into my Mac for storage to use later as needed. With the Triton I have to use a PC program to do everything? And there are no real visible files like the .upt files in the SD card? If all this is true, the unit lost all attraction for me as a Mac user. That's why I'm inquiring about these issues. They will decide whether I buy a unit or not. If I have to use Windows for everything, I could just as easily buy a Garmin 60 series unit....

To answer the connector question... there is more way than one to make a waterproof connector. I'm not saying you have to use a mini USB connector, but I think you could encase the connector on the inside somehow to waterproof it. However, for arguments sake, let's say you can't. I think the 4-pin connector on my Garmin 12XL and on the 60 series units is very waterproof. Like the brass buttons on the eXplorist, the 4-pin Garmin connector has 4 long pins in a round recessed connector. The cable plug is a round female connector. Nothing sticks out of the unit but the four pins, and they are protected by the recess. It's deep enough to form a very secure connection once the cable plug is attached, but all you have to do to remove it is to pull it out. The plug is not absolutely symmetrical, so there is only one way to plug it in. It also has a rubber cover for extra protection.

The eXplorist connector had a lot of faults:

- The little plastic tabs on each side of the cable plug wore off.

- It could be connected upside down.

- Despite the screw, the connection between the little retractable buttons on the plug and the flat brass buttons on the unit was not very strong. Once the plastic tabs wore down the connections could shift and the plug torque around the screw.

- The cable insulation pulled out of the plug and could not be put back in, leaving the wiring exposed.

As for Bluetooth, I think the compass problem could be worked out. I'm assuming we are talking about EM interference and not power. Chances are you would not be using them simultaneously. The electronic compass would be used mostly while walking around in the field, while the Bluetooth would probably only be needed on a dedicated unit for sending tracking signals to a computer or PDA, or for transferring files. You would probably not be tracking in your car or transferring files while needing the 3-axis compass. (I didn't care about the electronic compass or altimeter on the eXplorist, so I wouldn't really need it now either... but some people would of course.)

Parsa

elmuyloco5:

My post #451 was a review, after having the Triton 400 in hand. I bought it at Sports Chalet in SoCalif for $199.99. I read the manual thoroughly and put it though its paces. It has been reported by others in this and other forums that loading waypoints and geocache points into the unit freezes it. I tried eveything I could think of to get it going again. At this point, I could have called Magellan and got a replacement or return for refund. I went for the refund because I do not have the time to deal with what I consider a beta unit. It also does not offer me any more utility than my eXplorist 500. As the last few posts have commented regarding the file system, the Triton may offer less utility to me for my purposes.

Edited by EScout

John

Checked the Magellan site and looked at the features for the Triton 500.

Quote - "SD-card compatibility - An invaluable feature enables you to use an unlimited amount of map data for topographic, marine and vehicle navigation. Store tracks, routes, geocaches and more" . (color added)

I guess someone needs to play with their unit a bit more and see if there is something in the menus for saving to the SD card. According to the Magellan site, this should be available on the Tritons.

John

PS: There still aren't any stores near us that have any Tritons in stock to actually look at.

The electronic compass would be used mostly while walking around in the field, while the Bluetooth would probably only be needed on a dedicated unit for sending tracking signals to a computer or PDA, or for transferring files. You would probably not be tracking in your car or transferring files while needing the 3-axis compass. (I didn't care about the electronic compass or altimeter on the eXplorist, so I wouldn't really need it now either... but some people would of course.)

Parsa

The Triton has a digital compass on the 500 and up. I don't think it's too unreasonable to have some options to the higher level units. Garmin does the same thing with theirs.

elmuyloco5:

My post #451 was a review, after having the Triton 400 in hand. I bought it at Sports Chalet in SoCalif for $199.99. I read the manual thoroughly and put it though its paces. It has been reported by others in this and other forums that loading waypoints and geocache points into the unit freezes it. I tried eveything I could think of to get it going again. At this point, I could have called Magellan and got a replacement or return for refund. I went for the refund because I do not have the time to deal with what I consider a beta unit. It also does not offer me any more utility than my eXplorist 500. As the last few posts have commented regarding the file system, the Triton may offer less utility to me for my purposes.

I wasn't referring to you. I was talking about those people who just joined like 2 days before they started ranting about the units and have no caches found, etc. Just makes a person wonder.

I'm not against Garmins, or any other unit for that matter. I've only had experience with our Magellan Meridian Platinum. And, I am in no way trying to say that this Triton will be all it says it is. This thread has just gone crazy bashing a company because of a mistake in packaging. We're all human, and things happen. They're trying to fix the issue, so I think they should get some credit. That's alot more than some companies I've run across in my life. Let's think of all the car manufacturers that wait until a certain number of people get KILLED before recalls are made. Let's just not burn Magellan at the stake quite yet.

I can't address the issues you've had, as I don't have mine in hand. When I get it, and I've had some time to really check it out, I will write again about my experiences. Some people were getting the frozen screen because they unplugged the unit without powering down. Not something I would do, and honestly, a frozen screen would be expected, IMHO.

I have a Magellan, but in no way expect everyone to think they are the best, or am I trying to persuade anyone into buying a Triton. I chose it because I liked what I read about it and because of my prior good experience with a Magellan, I wanted to stick with the company. My gripe with this thread is that it has become less of what this unit can and cannot do for a cacher and more of a sophomoric argument on which is better Garmin or Magellan. It's like two guys arguing about Chevys and Fords. The units will be in hand to some of us that have ordered here in a week or two. Hopefully we will all come back and write about our opinions on them after we've truly tried them out. No matter what the outcome is, let's make it informative and without bias so that our fellow cachers can be educated.

The 200's and the 1500's are starting to trickle in around here, but those are the only two models I've seen at the stores. I'm waiting for the Triton 500 locally, I don't want to buy it online. I want to push the buttons and make sure it's complete. I was so close to getting the Delorme PN-20 because of the aerial imaging, but I procrastinated too long, and now their sale is over.

The touch screen is cool, but who needs a camera that's no better than on my RAZR? The added features on the top models are kind of cheesy... kind of like those free gifts promoters give you that have calculators, pens, post-it notes and little LED flashlights in them. I'd rather be able to put in entire cache descriptions a la CacheMate or have more waypoints. Some obvious features like Bluetooth are still missing. I transfer waypoints to my Palm TX and TomTom with no cables. Is Magellan so backward they can't figure it out?

Good points, I carry a digital Nikon SLR so I have no need for a low quality 2 mega pixel camera, I have no need for a for an LED flash light I own several real flashlights, and what is the need for a voice recorder unless you need to record your last words after you get bitten by a rattle snake or attacked by a mountain lion or bear.

I can only guess these features are direct toward those customers that do not really know what is required in a GPS.

Let's see....I don't carry my $400 camera into the woods because it's bulky and heavy for long hikes. I wouldn't really want to burden myself down with more than I need and a camera isn't "needed". On the other hand, if I can snap a picture of my find or whatever with my GPS, good deal. I like to take pics, I just don't want to carry the extra gear. Flashlight...I agree. Recorder...well of course this would come in handy since I would love to record little thoughts of each cache I find, along with time and conditions, so this makes perfect sense to me! :)

Edited by Rockin Roddy
I bought the eXplorist because it allowed the simple text files that make up the POI, geocache and map files to simply be dragged into my SD card from my Macintosh hard drive. I could make files using GpsBabel and put them onto the SD card and in my computer for storage.

As the Triton models don't use the USB mass storage device protocol, these units will not show up as a disk on a Mac (or Linux or Unixware or Solaris or....) and you thus can not drag/drop/copy files to/from them.

And there are no real visible files like the .upt files in the SD card? If all this is true, the unit lost all attraction for me as a Mac user.

No developer specs on this line have been released yet. So you really are at the mercy of Magellan's software which is Windows only.

I bought the eXplorist because it allowed the simple text files that make up the POI, geocache and map files to simply be dragged into my SD card from my Macintosh hard drive. I could make files using GpsBabel and put them onto the SD card and in my computer for storage.

As the Triton models don't use the USB mass storage device protocol, these units will not show up as a disk on a Mac (or Linux or Unixware or Solaris or....) and you thus can not drag/drop/copy files to/from them.

And there are no real visible files like the .upt files in the SD card? If all this is true, the unit lost all attraction for me as a Mac user.

No developer specs on this line have been released yet. So you really are at the mercy of Magellan's software which is Windows only.

According to "Topo! Hacker!" site. VantagePoint and Topo! work fine on Mac, so there is no need for Windows.

http://topohacker.blogspot.com/2007/11/mag...works-with.html

Just spent several hours playing with Vantagepoint. I downloaded the program, read the manual, Tried to import maps from Map Send Topo (used on our Meridian Platinum). It does NOT recognize those maps! It doesn't even recognize the maps on the Map Send Topo disc.

I imported GPX files created in GSAK and they showed on the base map (which doesn't even show most cities, like Flagstaff, AZ). I also imported Meridian WPT files that showed on the map. I then Tried to export the same file format to the SD card and the program exported the file of waypoints as a "Microsoft Works Word Processor" and not as WPT file.

We checked the National Geographic maps site on the importing of their maps to Vantagepoint. You can load about 490 square miles of detailed maps to the Tritons. This is the equivalent of having a route from Lake Powell to Flagstaff that is just over 3 miles wide! I thought, No Problem, just load more maps to the SD card and switch as needed. WRONG! Straight from the National Geographic "how to" web page......."Currently to remove maps from your Magellan Triton you must do so within Magellan's VantagePoint software which came with your Triton receiver. Maps cannot be deleted from your GPS or within TOPO!" Could not find anything on loading maps or waypoints/caches to the SD card, only to the unit's internal memory. It appears that the only way to add anything to the unit is through the Vantagepoint software and then only to the internal memory.

I decided that the Tritons just are not ready for the real world, and I uninstalled the Vantagepoint software.

John

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

According to "Topo! Hacker!" site. VantagePoint and Topo! work fine on Mac, so there is no need for Windows.

It looked to me that it was still windows running on an intel mac. Not quite the same as "works on a mac"

Let's see....I don't carry my $400 camera into the woods because it's bulky and heavy for long hikes. I wouldn't really want to burden myself down with more than I need and a camera isn't "needed". On the other hand, if I can snap a picture of my find or whatever with my GPS, good deal. I like to take pics, I just don't want to carry the extra gear.

I guess it depends on what kind of resolution you want when you take a photo, for my taste 2 mega pixals is worthless. Besides, getting a photo like this with a camera in a GPS just in not going to be practicle.

c00af61d-eed8-4386-a69e-d5df0fdbc6fb.jpg

Edited by JohnnyVegas

We checked the National Geographic maps site on the importing of their maps to Vantagepoint. You can load about 490 square miles of detailed maps to the Tritons. This is the equivalent of having a route from Lake Powell to Flagstaff that is just over 3 miles wide! I thought, No Problem, just load more maps to the SD card and switch as needed. WRONG! Straight from the National Geographic "how to" web page......."Currently to remove maps from your Magellan Triton you must do so within Magellan's VantagePoint software which came with your Triton receiver. Maps cannot be deleted from your GPS or within TOPO!" Could not find anything on loading maps or waypoints/caches to the SD card, only to the unit's internal memory. It appears that the only way to add anything to the unit is through the Vantagepoint software and then only to the internal memory.

John

Here's a quote from the page you linked:

a. Depending on the model of Triton you have and whether or not it contains an SD Card determines the amount of map you can send. Nearly all units can have up to 10 USGS 7.5' Quadrangles in the internal memory at any one time. This is a minimum area of 490 square miles.

From Magellan:

SD-card compatibility - An invaluable feature enables you to use an unlimited amount of map data for topographic, marine and vehicle navigation. Store tracks, routes, geocaches and more.

I think it's pretty clear that you can download to an SD card more maps than you were talking about. What you were speaking of is only the internal memory of the unit.

These are the software titles used by Vantage Point:

Magellan maps

These work with Vantage Point, but the Magellan site never said that they will work with the Triton, we'll have to see. Notice at the bottom that you can download the Map Send Lite that will work with it. It doesn't work with Map Send Topo. Magellan has mapping software included on the unit that works in conjunction with the National Geographic Topo maps.

National Geographic maps

These will work with the Triton.

Edited by elmuyloco5

John

Here's a quote from the page you linked:

a. Depending on the model of Triton you have and whether or not it contains an SD Card determines the amount of map you can send. Nearly all units can have up to 10 USGS 7.5' Quadrangles in the internal memory at any one time. This is a minimum area of 490 square miles.

From Magellan:

SD-card compatibility - An invaluable feature enables you to use an unlimited amount of map data for topographic, marine and vehicle navigation. Store tracks, routes, geocaches and more.

I think it's pretty clear that you can download to an SD card more maps than you were talking about. What you were speaking of is only the internal memory of the unit.

The question remains, How do you change maps on the Triton if you must use Vantagepoint to remove maps from the internal memory? If you are going to replace the map in the internal memory with a map from the SD card, it reads as though you still need to use Vantagepoint.

Granted, it says that the SD card will hold more maps and data, but if you need to use Vantagepoint to remove the map from the internal memory then it doesn't matter how much map data can be stored on the SD card. Is there a function on the Triton for changing maps in the internal memory with those on the SD card? According to the page I originally quoted the answer is no and you must use Vantagepoint to remove maps from internal memory. Is Vantagepoint built into the Triton? If not then you will need to have a laptop along so you can change maps as needed. Or is the National Geographic information wrong concerning the changing of maps?

I tried sending "Magellan Meridian Waypoints" (by choosing that export button) from Vantagepoint to the SD card and those files were stored on the SD card as "Microsoft Works Word Processor" files (text files) and NOT as WPT files! They were imported as WPT files, just not exported as WPT files.

Without having a Triton unit to work with, I can only report on what I could or could not get the Vantagepoint software to do.

Hopefully someone who has the Triton can answer these questions about changing maps & waypoint files.

John

Sorry, misunderstood you a bit. I thought you were saying that you couldn't get it to store more maps on your SD card.

Here's a few things I found while looking stuff up (again I don't have my unit to test out)

This is from Magellan's manual

• View images stored on an SD card that can be used to assist you in arriving at the proper

location. (Magellan Triton 400 and 500 only.)

Would suggest to me that there would be several to choose from on the SD card then and that you can switch between them without the vantage point software.

More from the manual:

Maps

Viewing Map Information

1. Access the Main Menu and select “View”.

2. Select Maps to view details on the installed background map and detail map (if loaded).

3. Select OK to exit.

Memory

View Memory Usage

2. Select Settings.

3. Select Memory.

4. Select View Usage.

Clearing Memory

2. Select Settings.

3. Select Clear Memory.

4. Confirm. (Use this option with caution.)

Formatting SD Card (Magellan Triton 400 and 500 only)

2. Select Settings.

3. Install SD card to be formatted.

4. Select Memory.

5. Select Format SD Card. (Option appears only when an SD card is inserted.)

6. Confirm. (This will erase all information on the SD card.)

This suggests to me that there are several maps that you can choose from and that you can clear out the memory ( of some sort anyway). Maybe this means only waypoints and such.....don't know. You can clear off the SD memory through the unit though. Seems maybe NG has things wrong, or poorly worded on their site. Bad website editing can be the cause for confusion, and not too unrealistic since it's NGs site and not magellan saying it. I have read from a representative from NG that they plan on their entire line of maps to work with the triton in the future, but that they only have done the State and Backyard Explorer line so far as they were the biggest sellers.

It's hard to give any concrete answers as so few people have them in hand. I will be happy to tell all about it when we get it. We ordered the 400, but chose to upgrade to the 500. Ours is getting shipped out late next week due to the holidays.

Edited by elmuyloco5

Map selection screen on Triton shows all properly authorized maps found in internal memory AND SD card.

You can load map directly from SD card. There is no need to delete any maps from internal memory. The only exception is Triton 300 which doesn't have SD card, so you need to use VantagePoint to upload/download detail maps.

Clear Memory - removes all user objects (waypoints/geocaches/routes/trails and detail maps on Triton 300). It doesn't remove maps from SD card and doesn't remove built-in background map in internal memory.

Reset factory settings - does the same as Clear memory PLUS resets all user settings to default values.

I imagine that would also include the 200 as well as the 300 as it doesn't have an SD slot either. Thanks for letting us know.

You can clear off the SD card though by formatting it like I explained in my quote from the manual. That sounds good then, you can access many maps and clear them off properly. Good to hear.

As the Triton models don't use the USB mass storage device protocol, these units will not show up as a disk on a Mac (or Linux or Unixware or Solaris or....) and you thus can not drag/drop/copy files to/from

My wording could have been tighter, but I'm sticking with it. I should have typed "Mac/OS" (the operating system people generally use and associate with "Mac", the hardware) to be consistent with the remainder of that sentence. A Mac running Windows, whether via multiboot or virtualization such as VMWare or Parallels, doesn't meet any reasonable expectation of being _really_ a Mac solution.

I could shut down a Solaris system and boot Windows or run it under virtualization, too; it'd be silly to say that it "works fine on Solaris" as there is the detail that you actually DO still need Windows.

On the Triton 400 that I had in hand, one of the menu choices in communications mode was: "VantagePoint." Another was: "File Transfer." Seems that with this choice, it would be USB storage device. I had no success with "File Transfer." I did have success with connecting with "VantagePoint" but the Triton permanently froze after the transfer of waypoints and geocaches to it.

Edited by EScout

When I opened up VantagePoint last night it notified me that a new update version 1.21 was available. I updated it, but then noticed all my stored regions and geocaches didn't show up when it restarted. So I shut it down again, then opened it back and there they were. So, if you update, and everything's gone, close it down, and restart the program again.

Oh it doesn't let you know that it's going to close down and restart during the update. So don't panic when you hit okay to update, and wait for it to restart.

I can't really say that I like the design. It looks kind of retarded with everything BIG! They could have made the body smaller no? For example, what's with that dumpy handle on top?

Actually, the case design was what initially caught my eye. I was really interested in the 1500 and 2000 models at first. Unfotunately, it didn't take long before i was having doubts.

Besides their late arrival, the talk about bad customer service, the talk that the units lacked cable and instruction manuals, and then the talk of how hard they are to use with vantagepoint, the main thing that helped to disuade me was the dim display. I've noticed that every picture i've seen posted of Triton units showed the display (they were powered up) to be very dim. One picture that i came across showed the Triton laying next to a 60cxs and it was very obvious that the 60cxs had the crisper, brighter display. Heck, the picture posted 2 posts above shows the unit powered up but darned if i can make out anything on the display. :unsure:

The top of the unit was designed like that so you can clip it onto something. The 1500 and the 2000 are bigger than the other models, and the lower models don't have as big of a "handle" either.

The screens are really nice and bright. I've compared them to Garmin side by side and they both look good. An LCD screen can show up poorly in a picture due to the angle the camera is at and the use of a flash. The pic above is not at all representative of the true screen brightness. The units should be in stores now, go check them out for yourselves before making up your mind.

In all fairness, all units have their shortcomings and problems. It's best to decide what is best for you individually.

The screens are really nice and bright. I've compared them to Garmin side by side and they both look good. An LCD screen can show up poorly in a picture due to the angle the camera is at and the use of a flash. The pic above is not at all representative of the true screen brightness. The units should be in stores now, go check them out for yourselves before making up your mind.

I have to disagree. Before my 1500 locked up, I compared it to my 60CSx multiple times. Regardless of whether it was sunny or cloudy, the 60CSX was MUCH brighter than the Triton 1500.

Sure, check them out in stores, but be sure to stand in a bright window. :unsure:

Problem with all above screenshots is that all of them were taken when Triton had minimal LCD brightness level. When you take Triton out of the box, at first start it has minimal brightness, so comparing such device with 60CSx is pretty much useless.

To compare properly you need to go View-Profiles-Display page, set backlight level as High and turn off backlight timer (it turns off backlight automatically). Then do the same for garmin device and you can compare brightness level.

If somebody has both Triton and 60CSx devices, it'd be interesting to know which device will run out of power first if you leave both of them lying on the table with maximum brightness. :unsure:

From my experience bright screen isn't that good as it seems, especially for handhelds.

I remember with early firmware on Magellan Crossover devices, I used my device as a flashlight at maximum brightness level. But crossover was running out of power after 2 hour of work. Good thing, that it was fixed in later firmware version.

Problem with all above screenshots is that all of them were taken when Triton had minimal LCD brightness level. When you take Triton out of the box, at first start it has minimal brightness, so comparing such device with 60CSx is pretty much useless.

To compare properly you need to go View-Profiles-Display page, set backlight level as High and turn off backlight timer (it turns off backlight automatically). Then do the same for garmin device and you can compare brightness level.

If somebody has both Triton and 60CSx devices, it'd be interesting to know which device will run out of power first if you leave both of them lying on the table with maximum brightness. :unsure:

From my experience bright screen isn't that good as it seems, especially for handhelds.

I remember with early firmware on Magellan Crossover devices, I used my device as a flashlight at maximum brightness level. But crossover was running out of power after 2 hour of work. Good thing, that it was fixed in later firmware version.

I realize that there are probably brightness and contrast settings on the unit that may not have been set when the pictures were taken. I also know that screenshots of the units aren't the same as seeing them first hand. But that one picture of the Triton and the 60cxs sitting side by side was pretty convincing for me...

Like i said, i do want to see one up close and personal before i make a final decision. :ph34r:

ATTENTION TRITON OWNERS!

Magellan released firmware update for Triton series. This update resolves freeze problem which happens after uploading lot of waypoints on the device and many other fixes.

Update is highly recommended for Triton 300 owners, since 300 was released long time ago and there are lots of bigfixes in updated firmware.

To update firmware you need to connect your GPS unit to the VantagePoint, select "Connect" tab in the ribbon and press GPS Update option hidden under Update button.

Magellangps.com still does not list any updates for the 300 and the 1500. The 500 and 2000 link to an upgrade, which simply takes you to the VantgePoint page...no mention of a firmware update.

Can somebody clarify my perception that geocaches must be uploaded to the Triton through VantagePoint, and that they only reside in internal memory? Given the limited capabilities of VantagePoint to manage geocaches in comparison to GSAK, for me that effectively introduces a couple of non-value added steps to uploading caches to the unit (currently dump straight from GSAK to MeriGold, clearing old caches in the process).

I had a Triton 400 in hand for a couple of days last week. The screen has very nice resolution and colors. It is plenty bright and has multiple brightness levels. Very visible in sun or shade.

Regarding the freezing problem, it happened to my 400 immediately after loading waypoints and geocache points from VantagePoint to the unit. I have heard it happening also to the Triton 300. I found no way to reset the unit. It is Windows CE according to a label in the battery area. No pinhole reset button like PDAs. I tried the usual button combinations with no success. Once in this state, there is no connecting or updating/upgrading the firmware.

I had a Triton 400 in hand for a couple of days last week. The screen has very nice resolution and colors. It is plenty bright and has multiple brightness levels. Very visible in sun or shade.

Given the poor screen visibility I see on the 1500, compared to reports like the one quoted, I'm assuming this is a difference between the touch screen and non-touch screen models.

Also, there was an interesting post on the Yahoo Triton forum from "magellanchick" last night...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tritongps/message/326

For anyone in the Sacramento area that may be interested in the new Magellan Trition 2000, I saw a couple in stock today (12-28-07) at Fry's in roseville. They were in the glass case and I could not find anyone to open the case so that I could get a good look at them.

Frys is pretty bad about getting new products out were people can look at them.

Long but if you are considering a Triton here is another experience and you need to read.

Well, I tried to ignore the buzz about the problems w/ Tritons and bought my son a 300 for Christmas from Amazon.com. And in my eyes Amazon.com was my saving grace in the end.

Being an Explorist 500 owner I had dealings w/ Maggie before. I had ordered a Li battery and they took a while before it showed up but they told me that that was going to happen, and it showed exactly when they said it would...(in broken English)

It powered up fine the first time and went down hill from there. The base-map sucked worse than the one in the Explorist 500, so it needed a detail map, easy right? It wouldn't communicate w/ the USB. Windows threw up an error USB device malfunction, disconnect. (or something to that effect) Then it froze up and I had to remove a battery to restart it. When I shut down the unit it would freeze up on 1 sec to go, then when I restarted it it would not restart, it would say 1 sec remaining, frozen there. Popped the battery out again. Then it restarted with the proper restart screen, hooked up the USB cable to the back and to the PC, the Triton said "waiting for connection" and froze. PC said there was a Malfunction on the USB and nobody was talking to nobody. I powered it down by popping the battery out again. Connected my Explorist to the same USB port and it now is happily chatting w/ Vantage point.

I called Maggie on Dec 26 just as they opened the lines. Got through. Talked to a rep long enough for him to put me on hold and he hung up on me....Called back and got through and their computer router hung up on me. Called back again, got through, and to a rep, went through a ton of stuff I already tried for an hour, he had me in my PC like it was the problem. Duh, the Explorist is talking to Vantage point. Not my PC or the program. (My PC now has an extra step it takes to start up now for some reason....grrr). He told me that he cannot approve the return for replacement. A supervisor will call in 24 hours, stay near a computer so he can troubleshoot it and give me authorization to return it....like I have nothing better to do w/ my vacation time.

They never called.....

I called back on the 28th of Dec. Never got through after 1 hour on hold. I completed the return for faulty merchandise on Amazon.com for a replacement in 4 minutes. I truly thought if I got a good one, I could tolerate the bad service for a good GPS. Sent it back this morning, Got an e-mail from Amazon.com, they had to refund it because Maggie stopped their shipments to them temporarily. Hmmmm

Moral of the story, Buy from Amazon.com they will take care of you, and don't buy a Triton right now. Wait to see if they can straighten out. Magellan better straighten out, they are nearing the event horizon of the black hole they created. (Point of no return)

Edited by wyleone

Hello, my first post but since I just got a new Triton 500 thought I would share my experience so far. It was a bit difficult to set up, got multiple errors etc, but this seemed to be my fault as I was in a hurry. Once I made sure all of the drivers were current, that I had downloaded the new version of NG Topo!, and turned the computer off (restart did not work) and turned it back on all seems to be working just fine. I followed the instructions off of National Geographics web site.

I used a 512mb card from an old digital camera and was able to put a large part of Oregon in it with no problems.

As far as the GPS itself, I have found it easy to use and very intuitive. Has strong signal strength in our home and seems to be working as advertised. I bought it at REI with the expectation that I may have to return it and they have a great return policy. So far though I like it and think it will be nice to have the NG maps built in.