Magellan Triton series

The build quality of Magellan products is OK. But, for all intents and purposes, it seems that customer care is virtually non-existent with that company.

From a customer's standpoint, I agree with this.

I've used a Meridian for two years, and i hope it lasts forever. But, when there was a problem with the 3D function of the Mapsend software, getting an answer from Magellan was like pulling teeth, only less successful.

Out of all the emails I've sent them, I got one reply: "Uninstall, and then re-install the software.".

I'll not buy another Magellan, based solely on their lack of customer support.

It will take more than a 2 megapixel camera (same as my LG phone) and a LED flashlight to get me to purchase a Magellan product again. Their support is worse than AOL, and their products fall apart in your hand; literally. Honestly, Magellan could offer this unit for 100 bucks and include someone to carry my water in the desert, and I would not purchase it, all because it says Magellan!

I'll wait. Hopefully, Garmin or Lowrance will come out with a unit with a touchscreen (might be useful) that will use NGS Topo maps (nice). Until they do, I'll continue to use my 60CSx and my 12 megapixel D300 and my LED headlight for desert travel.

The big problem with using a PDA of PPC for geocaching is that they are not waterproof and if you drop them they are not going to hold up as well as a stand alone GPS.

I don't wish to hijack this thread but I am a forester and use my PDA/GPS in all kinds of terrain and weather several times a week. I have Garmin's GPS Map76 CSx and Trimble's units for use but choose my setup due to better mapping features.

The PDA is not as fragile as it is often said to be and there are protective measures that can be used.

Yes, PDAs are being replaced by cellphones which may also replace stand alone GPS units.

But so far, the major GPS manufactures have been terribly slow in adapting the USGS maps. The quality and pricing of the propietry topo maps that offered are outrageous, at least compared to what Backcountry Navigator (and other PDA GPS software) offers.

It is nice to see at least one of the big dogs in GPS finally offer 24k maps. Even if the price for the maps are way out of line.

Edited by rlridgeway

I have a Magellan Exporist 600 that I have been using for a little over a year now and am very happy with. A couple things I am really hoping to see improved in the Triton are the 200 cache limit per file and the 64 MB Map file limit. Can you tell if those have changed at all from the manual?

I just have to ask Magellan...... "What are you thinking!!!!!"

The 200 cache limit does suck, but I see the 64MB file limit as a non-issue. The bigger the maps, the longer they take to load and update. I can fit 2 or three states (Like MD-VA-DE) on a 48MB map. Even traveling cross-country, I might have to go to active setup and change maps every couple states, which takes like 45 seconds, no big deal.

As for the second point, AMEN! Don't they realize that word-of-mouth is all over the internet concerning their customer service, and is going to be the ruination of the company? They can't be saving that much money shifting CS to India that it overweighs the sales they are losing because of it.

If there is any consolation to it, maybe if I have a problem someday, I can get a good Rogan Josh or Vindaloo recipe! :)

Edited by geowizerd

I also feel that the 64MB limit on map files is a non issue. When I first got my exp 500 I loaded a large map, all this did was slow down the time it takes the map to load and update and it also gave me map coverage the was just over kill. I find it faster to just have several small maps on my SD card, it only takes a minute or two to change the detailed map that is displayed on the screen.

The big problem with using a PDA of PPC for geocaching is that they are not waterproof and if you drop them they are not going to hold up as well as a stand alone GPS.

I don't wish to hijack this thread but I am a forester and use my PDA/GPS in all kinds of terrain and weather several times a week. I have Garmin's GPS Map76 CSx and Trimble's units for use but choose my setup due to better mapping features.

The PDA is not as fragile as it is often said to be and there are protective measures that can be used.

Yes, PDAs are being replaced by cellphones which may also replace stand alone GPS units.

But so far, the major GPS manufactures have been terribly slow in adapting the USGS maps. The quality and pricing of the propietry topo maps that offered are outrageous, at least compared to what Backcountry Navigator (and other PDA GPS software) offers.

It is nice to see at least one of the big dogs in GPS finally offer 24k maps. Even if the price for the maps are way out of line.

I do not know that a cell phone will ever replace a stand alone GPS. Unless someone can market a cell phone with all the features of a stand alone gps for the same price as a stand alone GPS it will not happen.

I do not see anyone about to offer a Cell phone/GPS with the features of a mid priced Garmin or Magellen. Lets also keep in mind with a stand alone GPS there is not monthy fee!. I saw a cell phone ar at a trade show a few years ago that had a Trimble GPS in it, these phones would display a topo map in the screen but the map was being sent to the phone and it there was not cell coverage there was no map.

Unless someone can market a cell phone with all the features of a stand alone gps for the same price as a stand alone GPS it will not happen.

Its not a big stretch at all for low cost cell phones to include GPS.

But we digress. The big GPS manufacturers have been overpricing their topo mapsets which are inferior to the USGS 24k topos. Magellan has stirred things up a little by utilizing the National Geographic topos.

Still the price of the maps are outragous, 100 bucks to cover 1/3 the US.

With my setup, Bachcountry Navigator, which costs 30 bucks, allows for free download of any 24k map I desire.

Edited by rlridgeway

Hey DaddyA...Did ya notice the nearly complete lack of Magellan accessories compared to the Garmin line? What Sportsman's Warehouse did you visit?

I visited the relitively new store in Burlington, WA. I really didn't look at accessories since I am not ready to make a decission yet. I am considering the new Vista because of the good reviews and its price, and the fact it is available. It is hard to believe that there is no reviews available for the Triton 2000 yet, by anyone, and we are in December now. As a consumer interested in a new product, all of the information that has been shared here (good and bad) has been helpful. The one thing that concerns me about the new Triton 2000 is the short battery life expectation. The Vista I believe is up to 30 hours compared to 8 to 10 in warm weather for the Trition. I guess anything we say right now about the 2000 is speculation since no one has used one yet? For now I will continue to use my etrex Legend and use my geo-senses when in deep woods and have fun looking! DaddyA

...I ordered a Delorme Earthmate PN-20 this afternoon. The awesome guys from Delorme offered to send me one and give me free overnight shipping so that i would get it tomorrow and still be able to go on my hiking trip this weekend. How awesome was that?!? Their customer service was awesome when I called them. It was a nice guy in Maine, where the company is located, and where I grew up. He knew everything about the unit and answered every question I had.

So, long story short, the Magellan Triton is going back and the Delorme Earthmate PN-20 is on it's way

When I purchased a PN-20 a couple of months back, I decided to return it for software/application reasons (I did like the hardware) having to do with the ability to upload "custom" maps. Once I started down the "return" path because my 30-days were just about up, DeLorme issued the RMA without any questions. DeLorme Tech Support / Prof. Services were very responsive and followed-up with me via email. (While I did return the unit, at least DeLorme made the effort - that, by itself, is a good way to capture customer loyalty.)

I decided to "wait and see" what the Triton would bring to the table before doing much else with GPS, and that strategy has, in fact, paid off: the fact that I'm still waiting for Magellan speaks volumes... B) I'm just guessing here, but I imagine other vendors are feverishly exploring what they can do to add support for different mapping formats in the short term... And, maybe they will be able to ship product at about the same time as Magellan? :lol:

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what is available, and what isn't, when I make a second attempt to settle on a GPS solution in a month or two...

Regards,

Steve

I have pre-ordered a Triton 500 as an upgrade to my aging eXplorist 600. The main factor is the ability to upload TOPO! maps; second is that my 600 is pretty beat up. I'll keep it in reserve.

I have read through the entire thread and have some comments to make...

1) Very little of the thread is about the Triton series

2) Most of the thread is about Magellan's poor customer service

3) Too much of the thread is devoted to the Garmin GPSrs.

1) Since the Triton series is just becoming available, I won't make any judgments about it until I have tried it. I believe others should do the same. I'm sure that there are other threads to discuss older Magellan GPSrs, but the Triton thread is not the place to discuss them.

2) It is wrong to discuss Magellan's customer service here, as none of it has yet been applied to the Triton series. If you have a legitimate gripe, discuss it with Magellan's management, or if you need to vent, please do it elsewhere. I don't care about your opinion about the way they handled a problem with your Meridian. Magellan was recently bought by another corporation, so give them a chance.

3) Why are people discussing Garmins here? If you're happy with them, fine, but I don't really care about why you chose a Garmin over a Magellan, any more than you want to hear why I prefer Magellan products.

Magellan, like most vendors, tries to sell good products (that they are continually trying to improve), and to provide good customer service. If they didn't, they would go out of business. I give them kudos for bringing out a new line of GPSrs that are superior to the older ones at a lower cost; it's proof that they want to sell a better product than the previous line. I'm sure that it really hurts them that the Tritons will not be fully available for the Christmas season; that is a LOT of lost revenue. If there are still problems to be worked out with the units, I'm thankful that they aren't dumping what they have to make Christmas bucks off of us.

If you really feel the need to complain, ask yourself why. Does it make you feel good inside to bash Maggie? Do you think that you look good in the eyes of others because of your criticism and rage? I can't speak for others, but your posts have done nothing for me except make me feel sorry for you, so please, calm down and try to participate in a reasonable fashion, or go elsewhere.

BTW, the Triton manual available for download from Australia is incomplete. While what they post is informative, there is nothing about uploading/downloading or technical specifications. Someone please post when the full manual becomes available.

I tried downloading and installing VantagePoint, but got an error at installation. Has anybody else experienced this?

I have pre-ordered a Triton 500 as an upgrade to my aging eXplorist 600. The main factor is the ability to upload TOPO! maps; second is that my 600 is pretty beat up. I'll keep it in reserve.

I have read through the entire thread and have some comments to make...

1) Very little of the thread is about the Triton series

2) Most of the thread is about Magellan's poor customer service

3) Too much of the thread is devoted to the Garmin GPSrs.

1) Since the Triton series is just becoming available, I won't make any judgments about it until I have tried it. I believe others should do the same. I'm sure that there are other threads to discuss older Magellan GPSrs, but the Triton thread is not the place to discuss them.

2) It is wrong to discuss Magellan's customer service here, as none of it has yet been applied to the Triton series. If you have a legitimate gripe, discuss it with Magellan's management, or if you need to vent, please do it elsewhere. I don't care about your opinion about the way they handled a problem with your Meridian. Magellan was recently bought by another corporation, so give them a chance.

3) Why are people discussing Garmins here? If you're happy with them, fine, but I don't really care about why you chose a Garmin over a Magellan, any more than you want to hear why I prefer Magellan products.

Magellan, like most vendors, tries to sell good products (that they are continually trying to improve), and to provide good customer service. If they didn't, they would go out of business. I give them kudos for bringing out a new line of GPSrs that are superior to the older ones at a lower cost; it's proof that they want to sell a better product than the previous line. I'm sure that it really hurts them that the Tritons will not be fully available for the Christmas season; that is a LOT of lost revenue. If there are still problems to be worked out with the units, I'm thankful that they aren't dumping what they have to make Christmas bucks off of us.

If you really feel the need to complain, ask yourself why. Does it make you feel good inside to bash Maggie? Do you think that you look good in the eyes of others because of your criticism and rage? I can't speak for others, but your posts have done nothing for me except make me feel sorry for you, so please, calm down and try to participate in a reasonable fashion, or go elsewhere.

BTW, the Triton manual available for download from Australia is incomplete. While what they post is informative, there is nothing about uploading/downloading or technical specifications. Someone please post when the full manual becomes available.

I tried downloading and installing VantagePoint, but got an error at installation. Has anybody else experienced this?

First off, welcome to the rant wagon you're fitting right in!

I can find little argument with most of your rants, but some have 'issues'.

1) right, I agree.

2) initially correct, but still pertinent, yeah right "talk to the management" that's a knee slapper.

In todays corporate terms this is beyond a "recent acquisition", if they wanted to fix their image

it would have been done immediately.

3) also a valid point.

About your post notes :

If no one can communicate directly with the company, your first paragraph is pure speculation,

I for one have an inkling (from past behavior of other companies) that Magellan very well could

get out of the hand-held market, and I see no reason to suspect they aren't doing a "Christmas

dump (does any one else smell MR. Hanky?).

Perhaps it's not just a self serving need to complain, but an altruistic gesture to beware and don't step

in the . . . hole. I'll in no way ever feel responsible for your feelings, that's your baggage.

I think everyone has been reasonable, just because their reasons aren't readily apparent to you is your

issue not theirs, mine or anyone else's.

On your BTW & VantagPoint : Welcome to Magellans' world "A couple days late, and a few bucks short!"

I re-iterate : WELCOME ABOARD!

Norm

First off, welcome to the rant wagon you're fitting right in!

I can find little argument with most of your rants, but some have 'issues'.

1) right, I agree.

2) initially correct, but still pertinent, yeah right "talk to the management" that's a knee slapper.

In todays corporate terms this is beyond a "recent acquisition", if they wanted to fix their image

it would have been done immediately.

3) also a valid point.

About your post notes :

If no one can communicate directly with the company, your first paragraph is pure speculation,

I for one have an inkling (from past behavior of other companies) that Magellan very well could

get out of the hand-held market, and I see no reason to suspect they aren't doing a "Christmas

dump (does any one else smell MR. Hanky?).

Perhaps it's not just a self serving need to complain, but an altruistic gesture to beware and don't step

in the . . . hole. I'll in no way ever feel responsible for your feelings, that's your baggage.

I think everyone has been reasonable, just because their reasons aren't readily apparent to you is your

issue not theirs, mine or anyone else's.

On your BTW & VantagPoint : Welcome to Magellans' world "A couple days late, and a few bucks short!"

I re-iterate : WELCOME ABOARD!

Norm

If my post is a rant to you, that is your call. I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove, but I'm not at all interested in your opinion of me.

BTW, personal attacks are not appropriate in a forum. -> Moderator take note <-

FYI, I have been in "Magellan's World" for years, much longer than you. I have owned four Magellan GPSrs; all were satisfactory. I have no complaint with Magellan, their products, or customer service.

Have to agree with much of ZCs post...precious little in here actually about the Triton to date. Customer service experiences aren't really relevant in this thread outside of those directly related to the Triton (ie, cable issue/response)...plenty of other places to vent those, so please spare those of us truly interested in how this plays out with your laments.

And as a survivor and participant in a couple of acquisition-related makeovers (and attempts at such), I would take issue with the observation suggesting that such cultural changes can truly be effected immediately - but again, that discussion is not for this thread.

Instead of these seemingly endless rantings, what I would really be interested in would be any additional observations or experiences by those who have undertaken informative, constructive additions to the thread. Your efforts, while regrettably buried underneath a pile of flotsam and debris, are greatly appreciated by at least a few of us.

Well perhaps I should have used the term 'comments' instead of "rants" oh well "hindsight is

20/20", but only if you learn from it!

"Personal attacks"? puh-leeze! I didn't address you any different than you did any one else!

I'm done in this thread, I'll sit and smile nodding quietly!

Norm

I am not going to get a Triton right now, since I find that there tends to be both hardware and software issues, and I have been burned a few times by defective GPS units.

What I see in the Tritons out of the Gate, is missing contents in the boxes.

If I bought the Triton right now, there might be hardware, or software issues, so I will wait to get the 2000.

I would have to get the 2000, or 1500, since my eyes have gone fuzzy, and an eTrex or Delorme GPS have screens that are too tiny for my eyes. I already have the eXplorist XL, and find that the buttons are bigger and better on it, and the screen is very readable(with backlight on). Had the Delorme GPS in my hands for just a few seconds, and immediately was put off by it's tiny screen.

I bought a Map60Cx just after it was introduced, and it had Receiver and power issues, but my new 60CSx has none of those issues.

I may get the Triton 2000 next year, but my eXplorist XL, is working well enough.

The Tritons, having the SiRF StarIII chipset, may have to have the bugs worked out for use in the handheld Tritons, so Magellan may need to be updating the SiRF Receiver Chipset software, and the unit software, or Magellan is going to have a big blunder on their hands if they don't fix firmware issues. The Map60CSx when it first came out there were many issues with the SiRF III chipset, and they finally fixed most issues, but only after several Firmware updates, so I'm hoping Magellan can provide needed fixes.

tttedzeins THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting that manual! Very helpful I have been looking all over for it... I am looking at the 500 model with an intent to buy, but it is listing all over the place at $250. Can anyone give me some ammo on how to get the costco.com unit for 150? Or sportsmans warehouse? I'm gonna go in there tonight and ask them if they will honor the 150 price advertised and give me a chance to actually purchase a unit they have not had in stock at that price... wish me luck!

My consumer kung-fu is relatively weak. If any of you have any ideas how to get the Triton 500 on the cheap I am all ears!

As far as technical discussion, I am loving my Duracell AA rechargeables for my RC plane remote controller, Sony digicam (and the wifeys) and many other items around the house, I am looking very much forward to using them in a Triton. I know a lot of you like the proprietary Li-On batts, and I know where you are coming from, I used to like them too. But the nice thing is when the AA's go kaput you can get new ones in there on the cheap instead of paying for a $50-100 dollar (speculation) battery. Before I used em I tended to think "meh... AA's", but when I started using them in my Sony digicam I was really amazed that they held on for so long. I've not had to trash any yet, very happy. I hope they serve me well in the Triton.

I am a little diffused at the extra cable cost, BUT, I have to remember that it seems like comparable units with the features of this device are much more expensive (doubly so if I can pick it up at the $150 price point). I'll buy a $40 cable without hesitation if I can get this unit for 150.

Ahh one more thing... maps... I live in the Denver CO area and am REALLY wanting to check out Rocky Mountain National Park and many other really cool locations around CO. I found out that they have National Geographic Weekend Explorer 3D packs for sale with coverage of not the entire state but places you will most likely end up hiking. I can't speak for the other states but the one for CO is awesome coverage at like $35. Definitely going to pick that up.

While we are at it though I am very new to GPS. Can anyone give me a run down on maps and what kinds of extensions are commonly used and maybe what they mean to me? Sorry if this is a newbie question but well, I'm a newbie! Thanks! A PM would be fine if you'd like to keep this thread on topic...

I agree with you Zen, Lets keep it on subject.

Also, I have had a good track record with Magellan, the missing cable issue, don't they out source for packaging? if they do, then why is everyone blaming magellan for their short comings, all the posts that I have seen of people not getting cables have called and they are sending them to them.

I have not heard of a release date for the triton 500's yet and from the posts on yahoo the 300 did come with the usb cable and from other sources i have read that the missing cable problem was only with the 1500's. so I feel good that everything will come with the rest.

Here is my question. Has anyone really, REALLY given them a good run? I want to know how they function. how quickly this new SirFStarIII chip is and what it means to me!

I have an Idea... Lets talk about all the cool, good, neat things they will do when we get them! and if there is a problem, lets give Magellan a fair chance to correct it, instead of jumping the gun.

lets face it, only a few are out. your always gonna have a critic in the crowd, so a few people had a bad experience and came to the web to rant about it. How many OTHER people are out there enjoying their new triton's and having so much fun that they would rather be playing with it than on the net. Give it a few weeks... When i get mine. i will give it a serious go, then give you a serious review!

The only problem i have had was with Dell, I ordered a Triton 500 from Dell on 11/11. The price seemed right at $237, it was to ship in 1-2 weeks according to their site, on other related sites, if you search for tritons it will tell you that Dell has them instock. but now when you go to their website it says 3-5 weeks. The triton 500 was to ship on 11/28, i recieved an e-mail stating that they were backordered and it would ship on 12/5. once again, backordered till 12/12. they have given me next day air shipping for free.

I ordered the NG Topo! state series for PA and Jersey, Received it in about a week, No Problem. Although i had to contact NG to get a update from then so the triton will connect to TOPO! From looking at these maps, i have alot of questions.

1. if you can put levels 4 and 5 on the GPSr, is there a way that you will be able to have 2 base maps, one when zoomed out and the other when zoomed in?

2. Will it be able to remove the roads overlay and just see the map, or will it be like exporting a map to a image file.

I downloaded Vantage Point and played with it alittle, i noticed the import map button.

3. can the NG maps be Imported from the GPSr to Vantage Point and if they can, why can't we just export to vantage point instead of connecting the GPSr directly to NG to download the maps?

I have tried to export to a SD card. Not Supported. Although it should be! and I had discovered that you can only load 100 quad maps at any time. i got a 2G SD Card to put all the maps on, but it looks as though if i want to put all the maps on i am going to have to break them up into a bunch of seperate files.

Another thing i have not seen anyone talk about was the Altimeter/Barometer functions on the 500's.

4. Is the Altimeter/Barometer functions going to be improved?

It would be nice to see something weather related on the main screen or an alert when there are sudden changes in barometric pressure. or maybe the ability to see the barometric pressure or altimeter on one of the nav. screens.

I have read were the tritons will also be compatible with the old mapsend software, is this true? can i use my old Merigold waypoints or tracks with this one?

and Finally, Does anyone know when these GPSr's will be released?

I have seen hints (so-to-speak) on e-bay, some sellers are saying 12/5, most are saying 12/14. other places have a Mid-December. but we have all heard that before!

Magellan triton release date feb 08.

http://www.magellansweden.se/sitemap/sitemapTRITON.htm

February you say!

I first contacted Magellan towards the end of October (if memory serves), they told me then that the target had been pushed back to Thanksgiving. Now we are out as far as February? Magellan have taken a page from Microsoft's marketing strategy from the 80s: pre-announce and hopefully keep folks from buying from another vendor until you really do have product to ship. I haven't seen this strategy practiced so openly in years! I hadn't realized how much I missed competition... ;-)

Someone earlier made a remark about Magellan not dumping product on the market in time for the holiday shopping season... No need to do that - if you have a large enough market presence, its far less expensive (in so many ways) to pre-announce!

Steve

Magellan triton release date feb 08.

http://www.magellansweden.se/sitemap/sitemapTRITON.htm

February you say!

I first contacted Magellan towards the end of October (if memory serves), they told me then that the target had been pushed back to Thanksgiving. Now we are out as far as February? Magellan have taken a page from Microsoft's marketing strategy from the 80s: pre-announce and hopefully keep folks from buying from another vendor until you really do have product to ship. I haven't seen this strategy practiced so openly in years! I hadn't realized how much I missed competition... ;-)

Someone earlier made a remark about Magellan not dumping product on the market in time for the holiday shopping season... No need to do that - if you have a large enough market presence, its far less expensive (in so many ways) to pre-announce!

Steve

The only problem i have had was with Dell, I ordered a Triton 500 from Dell on 11/11. The price seemed right at $237, it was to ship in 1-2 weeks according to their site, on other related sites, if you search for tritons it will tell you that Dell has them instock. but now when you go to their website it says 3-5 weeks. The triton 500 was to ship on 11/28, i recieved an e-mail stating that they were backordered and it would ship on 12/5. once again, backordered till 12/12. they have given me next day air shipping for free.

Dell will ship Triton 2000 on or before 26th dec (or later...)

I just got off the phone with Magellan, they said all the Tritions that had been shiped to dealers were sent back, and that they will not be shipping them back to the dealers for 3-4 weeks. I guess that means the first or second week in Jan.

I just got the same story with a slight twist.

Retailers who responded to the "recall" early, should be receiving their inventory back by the 14th of Dec. Everyone else should get inventory by mid Jan.

For what it's worth, the Triton 300 is now available and "in stock" at Amazon.com; I assume the others are as well. Wonder if they'll have the same issues with completeness (missing cables, etc.)?

Sears also shows the Triton 300 as "in stock".

BTW....according to many websites.....the Triton 300 is NOT intended to be shipped with a cable. You only get the cable with the purchase of a 1500 or 2000. If you buy the Triton 200, 300, 400 or 500, you will need to purchase the cable seperately. Many websites are incorrect on the cable issue just as they are on the touch-screen (which is also only on the 1500 or 2000 models)

I just went down to my local Sports Authority and they have the Triton 300 in stock. I got to play with the display model and it looked good, but couldn't get any signal in the store. The display looked great, however going thru the menu screens was not as intuitive as I would think. I did check the box and it DID include a USB cable and CDROM. I did not pick one up yet, I will wait and see how well it does, but it was tempting. :ph34r:

Magellan site is quite right when it says that Tritons will be available in February. But that'll be European version, which will support many languages, coordinate systems and map datums.

NA version supporting English and French languages, Lat/Lon and UTM coordinate systems, WGS84 map datum is available now (Triton 300).

Also when speaking about Tritons released or not by Magellan keep in mind that there are 5 different products with 5 different release dates.

So Triton 300 is already available at stores, so if you want one - you can get one.

Triton 400 and 1500 are already released by Magellan so should be available at stores not later then end of next week(depending on shipping time probably).

Triton 500 and 2000 will be released in the beginning of next week so probably get to stores a week later then 400 and 1500.

All Tritons should be shipped with cable included meaning that there is no need to buy one and that if your Triton package doesn't contain one, you may start screaming and kicking Magellan CS.

BTW....according to many websites.....the Triton 300 is NOT intended to be shipped with a cable. You only get the cable with the purchase of a 1500 or 2000. If you buy the Triton 200, 300, 400 or 500, you will need to purchase the cable seperately. Many websites are incorrect on the cable issue just as they are on the touch-screen (which is also only on the 1500 or 2000 models)

According to the Triton 300 box that I saw along with a demo unit at a local Sportsman warehouse the 300 does come with a USB cable. The USB cable is listed as bring included.

Magellan site is quite right when it says that Tritons will be available in February. But that'll be European version, which will support many languages, coordinate systems and map datums.

NA version supporting English and French languages, Lat/Lon and UTM coordinate systems, WGS84 map datum is available now (Triton 300).

Also when speaking about Tritons released or not by Magellan keep in mind that there are 5 different products with 5 different release dates.

So Triton 300 is already available at stores, so if you want one - you can get one.

Triton 400 and 1500 are already released by Magellan so should be available at stores not later then end of next week(depending on shipping time probably).

Triton 500 and 2000 will be released in the beginning of next week so probably get to stores a week later then 400 and 1500.

All Tritons should be shipped with cable included meaning that there is no need to buy one and that if your Triton package doesn't contain one, you may start screaming and kicking Magellan CS.

come on, Magellan Rep. Change your name and welcome to the forums...

Since the 300 and 1500 are supposedly no longer vaporware, I thought I'd go to the specs at the Magellan Triton page to get some details.

I can see why everyone is having to speculate as to the most basic product information.

Apparently the Specifications for the 300 are:

Product Number: 980-0033-001

PHYSICAL

PERFORMANCE

POWER

PACKAGE CONTENTS

So if you trust this, then you have to assume that you will need to buy a cable, AC adapter, ... It says nothing about batteries, but given the glaring absence of everything, I would guess that I would need to buy those also. But I have to wait until after I get it, because I can't tell if this takes AA, AAA, or some proprietary format.

Product comparison on this page between models does not work.

The "Learn More" opens with "Magellan Triton reinvents handheld GPS." but mentions nothing that I don't currently have on my 2-year-old GPSrs. Literally the only thing that appears to be an advance is to be able to load a particular brand of topo map; I would hardly call that "reinventing".

So I go to View Demo for the 300 and find a demo for the wrong product. Based on this a customer coming to learn about the 300 will get the understanding that the 300 has a flashlight, a camera, a stylus, nice topo maps, etc. "Confusing", "deceptive", "outsourced", " :ph34r: "," :ph34r: ", ":inept:",... ????

Two of top 3 features appear to be

• Built-in maps and major points of interest
  • Add detailed maps

yet the button linking to maps and software is greyed out and the link indicates no maps are included.

From what I have read here in this forum I came to the conclusion that the whole Triton release has been a way for Magellan to get potential customers to commit interest and money to their product. The above is the clear evidence that it is not so, because based on what I read there, I cannot see how anyone would bother to order a Triton 300.

Of the folks that have (or had) Tritons so far does it it pick up the 2 new WAAS satellites?

My only other question is "Will it work with DirectRoute"?

My Meridian and Explorist get two W sats, so I assume the Tritons will.

Good news about the cables being included. It appears that some were shipped without the cables as a mistake.

Regarding the models, the 400 and higher use SD card for expanded memory, which I would recommend.

Well perhaps I should have used the term 'comments' instead of "rants" oh well "hindsight is

20/20", but only if you learn from it!

"Personal attacks"? puh-leeze! I didn't address you any different than you did any one else!

I'm done in this thread, I'll sit and smile nodding quietly!

Norm

Wonderfull, good riddance, and one less ranter. May be we can get some intelligent objectivity, not stupid rants.

I went to REI in San Francisco today and they had the Magellan Triton 300 on display.

It uses 2 AA batteries. Also it comes with a CD and a cable which has 6 pins on one end

and a USB on the other. I assume it is similar in functionality as the eXplorist USB cable

(power, file transfer, and NMEA serial).

I don't think you need to buy an AC adapter because it probably won't charge the AA batteries.

You should get rechargable AAs and a battery charger instead.

The screen looks really nice and it seems very, very quick on map zooming/panning.

Edited by tywen

According to the Triton 300 box that I saw along with a demo unit at a local Sportsman warehouse the 300 does come with a USB cable. The USB cable is listed as bring included.

That's really odd because I have seen two pictures of boxes in these forums (if i can find them i'll post them) and the 2000 clearly lists the cable in the box contents while the 500 (or it might have been a 400) did not have it on the list.

Also, the following links are the product detail pages of tiger direct. If you click on the "package includes" tab, the cable is listed for the 2000 and 1500, but NOT for any other model. Maybe there is still a 'bug' in the shipment centers about which unit is supposed to have which accessories?

http://www.tigergps.com/magellantriton2000.html

http://www.tigergps.com/magellantriton1500.html

http://www.tigergps.com/magellantriton500.html

http://www.tigergps.com/magellantriton400.html

http://www.tigergps.com/magellantriton300.html

http://www.tigergps.com/magellantriton200.html

well, for some reason, my "quote" function isn't working, so it may be hard to folllow that last post.

Basically, the links show that the USB cable does NOT come with all units, only the 1500 and 2000. However other websites (http://www.gpsoz.com.au/magellan/triton.htm) are saying that it DOES come with it. (although when you click on their individual specs from that chart, it indicates the 1500 and 2000 have it included and the others do not.

There seems to be conflicting information and the two actual box pictures i've seen show that it came with the 2000 but not the 400 (or it may have been a 500 box pic).

I am still asking for one for Yule but I told my husband NOT to buy it online. Because there seems to be such conflicting info about whether the cable is included, I want to go to a brick-and-mortar store where I can see the box, the contents and look at it in real life before paying the money for one....and if it isn't included, i want to be able to buy a cable when we buy the unit.

Edited by Firespinner

@Triton, eh? since they seem to know a lot:

Has there been any changes to how the Triton does autorouting? For example, are there options for avoiding highways, toll roads, and U-turns? Is route calculation faster? Also, I remember having to enter my eXplorist's serial number into DirectRoute v2. Would DR v2 recognize a Triton serial number?

Are they still going to honor the $150 price point? If so I will definitely wait until Jan...

Costco has once again delayed the sale of the Triton 500 until January. Sad I was going to buy 2 for Christmas one for me and one for my father in law. Hard to beat $149 for a 500 with the features. But all the features in the world don't mean jack if you can't buy one