Magellan Triton series

Yes. That's the way it is with all the gps makers. You buy the unit, then everything else like car the chargers, cases, maps, etc are an accessory. Unless you get some kind of "Ultimate Adventure Package" or some such thing.

With the Tritons, the big thing is that they can use National Geographic Topo maps (purchased separately) which are really good maps. There's another thread about which NG Topo maps will be compatible at first.

So, what you're saying is that if I want to be a high-end GPS, I'll have to fork out a few hundred for the unit and another hundred or two for the map software. Bummer! I live in Northern Kentucky, near Cincinnati, OH, and Indiana. From the looks of things, just to cache in my area, I'd need 3 different National Graphic maps. That totals up to over $200 worth of mapping software.

Maybe I will go with a Garmin.

Bummer! I live in Northern Kentucky, near Cincinnati, OH, and Indiana. From the looks of things, just to cache in my area, I'd need 3 different National Graphic maps. That totals up to over $200 worth of mapping software.

You point out a drawback in this scheme. While the NG maps are very nice quality, their [generally] state-by-state marketing arrangement has always made them pricey. That may be more tolerable for someone operating in the middle of a map package, but for those on the seams...$$$.

Edited by embra

I work at Sportsman's Warehouse selling & teaching GPS. I have done this for 8 years now.

For what it's worth: Based on my experience with every brand we have ever carried in those eight years, and based on talking to countless customers in those 8 years: I would never personally touch a Magellan. Period.

And as for the NG maps on the receiver: I have no desire whatsoever to view these maps on an itty bitty little GPS screen. I'll just continue to print my maps out on paper, thanks.

Edited by Alphawolf

I work at Sportsman's Warehouse selling & teaching GPS. I have done this for 8 years now.

For what it's worth: Based on my experience with every brand we have ever carried in those eight years, and based on talking to countless customers in those 8 years: I would never personally touch a Magellan. Period.

And as for the NG maps on the receiver: I have no desire whatsoever to view these maps on an itty bitty little GPS screen. I'll just continue to print my maps out on paper, thanks.

Can you elaborate on this? What are the specific issues?

Do they have the Triton in stock? Have you checked out the large format touch screen? Have you tried the NG maps on a computer screen?

John

Some elaboration:

The build quality of Magellan products is OK. But, for all intents and purposes, it seems that customer care is virtually non-existent with that company. I have dealt with them from the point of sales for 8 years now. In that time I have had to listen to many, many horror stories from frustrated customers coming back to me when Magellan failed to help them.

Also, If I could show you a picture of my GPS accessory wall it would knock your socks off, the difference between Garmin stock and Magellan stock. We can't get any accessories from Magellan. It looks shameful. We have Garmin accessories by a ratio of 20:1 and I'm not exaggerating.

As far as NG maps:

"...Have you tried the NG maps on a computer screen?"

Yes...I have about 5 states worth, and they are my "maps of choice" for any back country map needs I ever have. I simply cannot imagine using them on a GPS screen, but that is a personal thing. I just like the "big picture' when it comes to maps.

Besides...I always, always have a real compass and a paper map with me in the back country, so I would have no interest in seeing the same maps on a small screen. It would just drive me nuts. I would never trust my GPS alone as my sole source of maps, so why duplicate?

We do not have the Tritons in stock, and I haven't heard yet when we might get them.

Edited by Alphawolf

Some elaboration:

The build quality of Magellan products is OK. But, for all intents and purposes, it seems that customer care is virtually non-existent with that company. I have dealt with them from the point of sales for 8 years now. In that time I have had to listen to many, many horror stories from frustrated customers coming back to me when Magellan failed to help them.

Also, If I could show you a picture of my GPS accessory wall it would knock your socks off, the difference between Garmin stock and Magellan stock. We can't get any accessories from Magellan. It looks shameful. We have Garmin accessories by a ratio of 20:1 and I'm not exaggerating.

As far as NG maps:

"...Have you tried the NG maps on a computer screen?"

Yes...I have about 5 states worth, and they are my "maps of choice" for any back country map needs I ever have. I simply cannot imagine using them on a GPS screen, but that is a personal thing. I just like the "big picture' when it comes to maps.

Besides...I always, always have a real compass and a paper map with me in the back country, so I would have no interest in seeing the same maps on a small screen. It would just drive me nuts. I would never trust my GPS alone as my sole source of maps, so why duplicate?

We do not have the Tritons in stock, and I haven't heard yet when we might get them.

So I take it that you have nothing to offer in the way of information on the Triton GPSr and how the NG maps will work on that unit, nor have you anything to offer on the touch screen, the larger screen, or anything else of value concerning the Triton series of GPSrs.

John

I've used Magellan since 2000 when I started out with a GPS315. Since then we added a eXplorist 200 and a 400 to the stable. I've got all the accessories I've needed for them ranging from window mounts, belt clips, batteries, cables, and whatnot. The 315 still works great as do the others. Strange I'd be a fluke of luck with three separate units three separate times. I don't doubt customer service horror stories though. You get that when you ship that sort of job overseas to a bunch of people looking at a computer screen with pre-typed question/answers. One thing I have seen, and have been told, by several stores when looking for Magellan product is that they don't carry it not because of customer service issues but because that is what they contract to carry. Several in our area only exclusively carry Garmin and do not hesitate to bash any other receiver on the market. More times than not sales associates outright lie why a particular product isn't released yet. It's the same catagory I put the 'not here because of missing parts in the box' reasoning. Being a well informed consumer it comes across to me as nothing more than cockiness and arrogance as well as trying to get me to purchase a higher priced unit with the same features as any other gps manufacturer.

I'll agree the "it's out/no it ain't" game is tiring. When the time comes to make our next purchase I'll be taking that into account. I'll also be taking into account any extra expense I'll have to make in accesories. I use SD cards for cameras, recorders, and present gps units. To go out and purchase something that uses something I'd have to get adapter for and futz with (microSD) isn't worth my time right now. Not having to have the latest and greatest to be able to show something off is nice. I use stuff until it breaks or doesn't meet my needs. Our GPS 315 makes a great speedometer in the car with it's large display. The 200 we use because we picked it up cheap for geocaching and the wife wanted one. Picked up the 400 for the streets and maps. Now the 315 sits in the car doing it's original job. At present as interesting as the Triton sounds we won't be jumping out and picking up a beta model. If there are legitimate problems with the receiver they need to be addressed prior to shipping. I see nothing wrong with that. How many times did they kick back Halo 3? Exactly my point. They as manufacturers would be better off not announcing a product ready to ship or a potential ship date until everything is adequate for the consumer. otherwise it only creates bad attitudes towards the product.

"So I take it that you have nothing to offer in the way of information on the Triton GPSr and how the NG maps will work on that unit, nor have you anything to offer on the touch screen, the larger screen, or anything else of value concerning the Triton series of GPSrs.

John"

Nope...Unless you count 8 years of dealing with Magellan customer service (or lack of it) as something even remotely related to the Triton series.

I've been through the entire orientation/sales spiel from the Magellan reps. recently about the unit, but they didn't offer anything that isn't already available.

I am a backpacker, and the units are way, way too big and heavy for my interest.

I visited Sportsman's Warehouse today who had the new Triton Series advertised in their Day After Thanksgiving flier. When I asked the salesperson behind the GPS counter he frowned at me. He stated that supposedly some of their stores got some but they were incomplete with cords missing, manuals, etc... He didn't suggest buying it for a while until the bugs were worked out. I know I won't be forking out the money for one until I see good reviews, and the things are proven to work. I will keep on using my etrex Legend and be patient. Plus I will have more time to save up for all the accessories! DaddyA

Hey DaddyA...Did ya notice the nearly complete lack of Magellan accessories compared to the Garmin line? What Sportsman's Warehouse did you visit?

Edited by Alphawolf

Nope...Unless you count 8 years of dealing with Magellan customer service (or lack of it) as something even remotely related to the Triton series.

Well this thread is about the Triton series, not about how bad Magellans customer service is. So if you have nothing to contribute please go to the Magellan bashing thread or in the event that there is not one please feel free to start one.

I am a backpacker, and the units are way, way too big and heavy for my interest.

So how big are they and how do much do they weigh.

Edited by tttedzeins

Did ya notice the nearly complete lack of Magellan accessories compared to the Garmin line? What Sportsman's Warehouse did you visit?

All of the Explorists (except the XL) have the same body = the same case, bike mount, car mount, swivel mount.

Software = DirectRoute, Topo

They already come with the power/computer cable needed. And the 400, 500, 600 already have the DirectRoute DVD (unlocking it is a separate purchase online) included in the box.

Wow, you can support the whole series with the same 6 accessories. Must be rough for the purchasing agent to keep on top of inventory and reorder it in timely manner to keep in stock. But since everyone is purging their Explorist line, I would expect that once accessories are gone, they wouldn't bother to be reordered. Or does that only make business sense to me?

But back on topic- The Magellan Triton Series.

When you went through the entire orientation/sales spiel from the Magellan reps. recently about the unit, but they didn't show you anything that isn't already available, did they show you the 2000? Or do you have other brands with a built in camera, voice recorder, and a LED flashlight?

Did ya notice the nearly complete lack of Magellan accessories compared to the Garmin line? What Sportsman's Warehouse did you visit?

All of the Explorists (except the XL) have the same body = the same case, bike mount, car mount, swivel mount.

They already come with the power/computer cable needed. And the 400, 500, 600 already have the DirectRoute DVD (unlocking it is a separate purchase online) included in the box.

Wow, you can support the whole series with the same 6 accessories. Must be rough for the purchasing agent to keep on top of inventory and reorder it in timely manner to keep in stock. But since everyone is purging their Explorist line, I would expect that once accessories are gone, they wouldn't bother to be reordered. Or does that only make business sense to me?

When you went through the entire orientation/sales spiel from the Magellan reps. recently about the unit, but they didn't show you anything that isn't already available, did they show you the 2000? Or do you have other brands with a built in camera, voice recorder, and a LED flashlight?

Actually what I meant by that, is they didn't offer any information about the entire series that wasn't already available everywhere. In fact, they didn't have any to show us at all. Come to think of it, he didn't have a single piece of merchandise...Just some brochures.

Actually what I meant by that, is they didn't offer any information about the entire series that wasn't already available everywhere. In fact, they didn't have any to show us at all. Come to think of it, he didn't have a single piece of merchandise...Just some brochures.

Well this thread is about the Triton series, not about how bad Magellans customer service is. So if you have nothing to contribute please go to the Magellan bashing thread or in the event that there is not one please feel free to start one.

So how big are they and how do much do they weigh.

Well, go up to the top of the page where DaddyA says "I know I won't be forking out the money for one until I see good reviews, and the things are proven to work."

I simply pointed out some really big issues about things that don't work...namely their customer service. And he wants to wait 'till he gets good reviews. These are hard to find when it comes to customer service. I don't seperate the hardware from the rest of the company...

Funny cos your profile says you work for the Dept of Defense, or is that your part time job between teaching and selling GPS and backpacking ???

What is so funny about me working full time for the Dept. of Defense, working part time at Sportsman's Warehouse, and backpacking? My day has 24 hours in it, and I have 7 of them every week, just like you.

I also do wildlife photography, teach GPS navigation to county S&R teams, and enjoy live theatre on occasion. Is that funny too?

Funny cos your profile says you work for the Dept of Defense, or is that your part time job between teaching and selling GPS and backpacking ???

What is so funny about me working full time for the Dept. of Defense, working part time at Sportsman's Warehouse, and backpacking? My day has 24 hours in it, and I have 7 of them every week, just like you.

I also do wildlife photography, teach GPS navigation to county S&R teams, and enjoy live theatre on occasion. Is that funny too?

Perhaps the most constructive post would be to retell some experiences you are having with customers concerning the Tritons when they start coming in. All the rest is irrelevant.

Perhaps the most constructive post would be to retell some experiences you are having with customers concerning the Tritons when they start coming in. All the rest is irrelevant.

Irrelevant? Really? I'll try and remember that next time an unhappy Magellan customer plops his unit down in front of me...

I saw the pictures of the 1500 and 2000 units and have to say that i was at first, very interested in the new models. But then i saw "touch" screen and can't imagine that being a good choice for use with an outdoor GPSr, at least not in some of the areas i cache in. Something i have thought about is what happens when the screen accidently gets bumped. Is it going to change screens when this happens? How many taps will it take to get back to the screen i was initially on? Not a big issue i'm sure but it would be something that i wouldn't care to have to go through. Besides that, i just have to wonder how well a touch screen will hold up where i routinely use the unit.

No, i have not laid my hands on any of the Triton line but i can tell you right now that i appreciate posts from those who have had experience with Magellan service. I'm not sure why this is NOT important to some of you but it is big part of the package for me. I'd still like to see one in action but i can pretty much say right now that i wouldn't consider buying one because of the reasons above.

I can't speak of something that nobody can get their hands on yet...But, I can at least predict what I'm betting will be the most common complaint I will hear about after they hit the shelves.

As Dr. Phil likes to say..."The best prediction of future behavior is the past behavior" (or something like that.)

Anyway...I'm just callin' 'em like I see 'em. I make just as much money selling Magellans as I do Garmins, so I am happy to put either in a customer's hands.

I saw the pictures of the 1500 and 2000 units and have to say that i was at first, very interested in the new models. But then i saw "touch" screen and can't imagine that being a good choice for use with an outdoor GPSr, at least not in some of the areas i cache in. Something i have thought about is what happens when the screen accidently gets bumped. Is it going to change screens when this happens? How many taps will it take to get back to the screen i was initially on? Not a big issue i'm sure but it would be something that i wouldn't care to have to go through. Besides that, i just have to wonder how well a touch screen will hold up where i routinely use the unit.

No, i have not laid my hands on any of the Triton line but i can tell you right now that i appreciate posts from those who have had experience with Magellan service. I'm not sure why this is NOT important to some of you but it is big part of the package for me. I'd still like to see one in action but i can pretty much say right now that i wouldn't consider buying one because of the reasons above.

The touch screen is in common use today for cachers who cache paperlessly using a PDA. I haven't heard anyone mention any problems with their PDA changing screens due to the screen being touched.

Customer service is a non issue when discussing a particular model from a company. If you were to discuss the Ford Mustang would it be appropriate to discuss all the problems that the Ford Pinto had? Granted, they are both Fords, but when discussing a new model from Ford as in the new Ford Hill-Climber is it appropriate to complain about how the Pinto performed and the way Ford handled the problems?

As far as customer service goes, you typically only heard the horror stories from disgruntled people. From past experiences and from working in a service oriented business, I can attest to the fact that if someone has a problem and the first thing they do is show an attitude about how poor the service and product is, that is exactly what they will get! If someone comes in and has a problem and is reasonable in their approach and doesn't DEMAND immediate service and solution and is just plain polite and courteous they will get the best service available.

I am interested in the Triton series, but am withholding making any decisions about the purchasing until there have been some hard facts determined about the units. Such as, the battery life, ease of use, SD card sizes that will work with the units (how large a card?), what mapping programs (NG Maps, Magellan Maps, route finding maps) can be loaded on to the unit and the cost of those maps, etc.

I am not worried about customer service since I have only had GOOD customer service everytime I needed to contact Magellan. I am interested in how well the unit will perform in the field under the conditions I will be using it.

John

There will probably be a button allowing you to lock the screen to prevent input, like there is on the CrossoverGPS.

The touch screen is in common use today for cachers who cache paperlessly using a PDA. I haven't heard anyone mention any problems with their PDA changing screens due to the screen being touched.

I use a PDA and/or sometimes an internet tablet device as well but i dont leave either of them on a lanyard around my neck or routinely carry them in my hand while im rummaging around in the woods. Unlike the PDA, the GPSr stays on and out during the search which inherently invites more times when the screen could be accidently touched and changed.

There will probably be a button allowing you to lock the screen to prevent input, like there is on the CrossoverGPS.

I was just throwing out the what ifs in my post above. You may be right that they incorporate a lock screen button to keep it from happening. Of course if they do this, then here is yet another step that a person has to perform every time they want to move to another screen. Neither is a big deal for most but i myself like to keep things streamlined...

Another question that i haven't seen. Do you use your finger or a stylus to tap? If stylus then you better have extras as they will most likely get lost in the woods. If finger, then you'll need to keep something to wipe off the inevitable fingerprints that will accumulate.

I really like the idea of being able to store and read .TXT files. It would be great to capture all the details from the cache page and have it paperless, right there in your hands, without carrying extra costly gizmos (PDA's, etc). Things like parking coordinates, which path to take, or which way to go when the road forks, hints greater than 50 characters, etc. etc. etc....

That being said though, I am dissapointed to see them stop using the rechargable LiIon batteries and go to AA's. That was one of the major reasons I bought the eXplorist. With gas at $3.20/gallon, this pastime is already kind of expensive once you've gone through the local caches. Forking out another $20-$30/month on batteries would hurt. Yes, I do have Energizer rechagables, but haven't had all that much luck with them in digital cameras - which is the reason my recent camera purchase was one with a rechargable battery (which lasts for hundreds of pics on a single charge).

As for screen smudging, you're not wearing that new Bill Blass button down in the woods are you? A couple huffs of breath and a wipe with the T-shirt does the trick, just like with glasses. Or spend a buck on a bandanna or two, they come in handy for all kinds of things!

.....That being said though, I am dissapointed to see them stop using the rechargable LiIon batteries and go to AA's. That was one of the major reasons I bought the eXplorist. With gas at $3.20/gallon, this pastime is already kind of expensive once you've gone through the local caches. Forking out another $20-$30/month on batteries would hurt. Yes, I do have Energizer rechagables, but haven't had all that much luck with them in digital cameras - which is the reason my recent camera purchase was one with a rechargable battery (which lasts for hundreds of pics on a single charge).

I consider the AA batteries to be one of the only good things about this unit, and probably the only thing about it that makes it useable for hiking/packing, basic outdoor nav. (The touch screen overrides the batteries big time however). In your digital camera, you should get much better performance with NiMH than with alkalines. Part of the problem might be the discharge these types of batteries exhibit even when stored. You might want to try some of the hybrid types as they offer the best of both worlds.

Regarding LiIon batteries, they tend to die in 3 to 5 years no matter how you use them, and often you can't find anything to replace them with resulting in the item you're using being basically disposable. This works for me with cell phones, digital cameras etc as I tend to get rid of them after a couple years. For some strange reason though, I tend to keep GPS units much longer, and still use them.

.....That being said though, I am dissapointed to see them stop using the rechargable LiIon batteries and go to AA's. That was one of the major reasons I bought the eXplorist. With gas at $3.20/gallon, this pastime is already kind of expensive once you've gone through the local caches. Forking out another $20-$30/month on batteries would hurt. Yes, I do have Energizer rechagables, but haven't had all that much luck with them in digital cameras - which is the reason my recent camera purchase was one with a rechargable battery (which lasts for hundreds of pics on a single charge).

I consider the AA batteries to be one of the only good things about this unit, and probably the only thing about it that makes it useable for hiking/packing, basic outdoor nav. (The touch screen overrides the batteries big time however). In your digital camera, you should get much better performance with NiMH than with alkalines. Part of the problem might be the discharge these types of batteries exhibit even when stored. You might want to try some of the hybrid types as they offer the best of both worlds.

Regarding LiIon batteries, they tend to die in 3 to 5 years no matter how you use them, and often you can't find anything to replace them with resulting in the item you're using being basically disposable. This works for me with cell phones, digital cameras etc as I tend to get rid of them after a couple years. For some strange reason though, I tend to keep GPS units much longer, and still use them.

Well I guess then I should spend the couple bucks and get the adapter that lets you use 3 AAA's in place of the rechargable. In 3-5 years I will probably have upgraded by then anyway, but maybe I'll give it to my son. However, these batteries are also virtually identical (and interchangable) to ones used in many Motorola cell phones. These can be had every day on eBay for a couple bucks. What kind of storage life do LiIon's have if never charged? Might be a good idea to wait until I start seeing them less frequently, then buy a couple up.... But as to the comparison of the LiIons to AA's; recharging the LiIon costs what, maybe 10 cents of electricity, compared to $4-$5 for a pack of 4 AA's? Over the 3-5 years, the savings on batteries will have more than paid for a new unit!

BTW, I think the touch screens are only on the 1500 & 2000 units. The 200, 300, 400 & 500 use regular screens, and quite nice ones at that (QVGA).

Edited by geowizerd

I don't think touchscreens have enough of an outdoor track record, at least not for me.

I have brought my Garmin Nuvi touch-screen and my PDA touchscreen into the outdoors hiking and geocaching for a while. I have dropped both several times, and down rocks a couple of times. No problems with the screens even with the abuse I have given them repeatedly. So I am sure they probably made the off-road screens a little sturdier than my on-road screens, so they should be just fine.

Ok I took the plunge because my Garmin Nuvi car GPS is just not cutting it out in the woods. I just placed my order on NewEgg.com for the Magellan Triton 1500. They are also selling on RadioShack website too, but I have had a good relationship with NewEgg for the past several years so I trust them.

Wish me luck!!! I will answer anyone's questions as soon as I have it in hand. I got overnight shipping, so if they ship within the next 48 hours if they truly have them in stock then I should have it before the weekend to go play outside with. I will let you know if/when I get it. :blink:

Ok I took the plunge because my Garmin Nuvi car GPS is just not cutting it out in the woods. I just placed my order on NewEgg.com for the Magellan Triton 1500. They are also selling on RadioShack website too, but I have had a good relationship with NewEgg for the past several years so I trust them.

Jen,

Thanks for the tip. Just ordered one myself.

For everyone's info, the only model available is the Triton 1500. It's cheaper at NewEgg than RadioShack. I checked REI, Costco and TigerGPS before pulling the trigger, but they did not have them.

I just got a new issue of Wired magazine (Dec. 07, I think) and there's a one-page love-fest with the Triton 2000 (I think it was in some kind of gift-guide section, but not an ad). I haven't fully read the mag - that page just caught my eye. It looked like the same marketing info that's been out for months. I wonder how many folks are carrying that mag into REI saying, "I want one of these," only to find out they don't have 'em yet...

On Black Friday I visited my local (Medford, OR) Joe's and Sportsman's Warehouse and they both told me:

1st shipment in the first week of December

2nd shipment in the second week of December

I've been waiting for this since they were announced. It will be my first GPS.

P.S. Am I the only one mad that the 500 has features that the 1500 doesn't? (tri-axial compass and altimeter) I'm sure it's a marketing ploy to get you to buy the 2000. The sad part is that it's working. =/

Just found this posted on the Yahoo Triton group.

Sportsmans Warehouse just received some Triton 300s today.

These are my initial impressions and since documentation is minimal and

in some cases non-existant, I could be wrong on some things or pushing the limits of the unit. Time will tell.

Physically they are basically a squared off Explorist.

Took one home, hooked it up, transferred maps from NG Topo!.

Detail of course depends on what NG level you select.

* Includes quick reference card, warranty booklet, USB cable & disc.

* Screen is quite sharp/colorful. However it needs backlight to be seen in sunlight unless the angle is just right.

* Manual (30 page) is on the disk only!

* Locked on very quickly!

* Received enough satellites in house to work.

* Maps

o disappears at & below 200 ft scale with NG Level 5

o 500 Ft with Level 4.

o Tracks remain visible.

o You can select which loaded raster map to display

* Menus are semi-transparent.

* Data fields are configurable and easy to read.

* Pages

o Map

o Current Location - loc, dest info, + 4 small fields

o Trip - 4 large fields

o Speedometer - 2 large 2 small fields

o Compass - 2 small fields

o Satellite -

* No read-out on distance from current point to cursor / or it's coordinates.

o I sure miss that feature that is now standard on better units.

* Waypoints are highlighted when you move cursor over it.

o I couldn't get it to show any more information about that point.

* I am not impressed with the indication of where the focus is on button selections (change of shade) which is hard to see in bright light.

* Tracks page allows you to select:

o vertical profile

o save tracks

o erase tracks

o options for recording

o Don't see any provision for selecting which track.

* With map/waypoints/routes loaded, it takes a minute or so for map page to appear when you cycle thru pages or unhide menus. I thought the unit was locked up! Can't seem to find anyway to delete/overwrite the maps on the unit.

Started up Vantage Point

* It updated the firmware on the unit.

* Doesn't seem to allow you to delete routes/waypoints/tracks other than one at a time (what a PITA).

* When you transfer information to unit, it gives you tree of items, so you can uncheck what you don't want loaded.

Guess this is what can happen on release of new era of product.

Will have to contact Magellan tomorrow morning when they open to see what's up.

I ordered my Triton 1500 from NewEgg late Monday evening. They charged my card and processed my order yesterday. This morning I woke up to a happy surprise, they shipped it yesterday, gave me a UPS tracking number, and it is in transit and will be here Today! Talk about fast processing, they generally say 1 to 2 business days after ordering they will ship, but they shipped the very next morning after I ordered it late at night.

I am very excited. I know there is a lot of controversy over whether these devices will be good or not, and I am always ready to be a guinea pig, so I am taking the plunge. I figure if I get it and I love it, then all is well, but if I get it and I hate it, then on eBay it goes and I will buy a DeLorme. :laughing:

I will let you know today after I get it in hand! ;)

Jen,

Do you know what warehouse they shipped it from? I am thinking about ordering it at newegg and hopefully they ship it from their Edison New Jersey Warehouse so I will get it tomorrow. BTW I have ordered a ton of stuff from newegg and never had a problem Just that their csr's cannot tell you where they are shipping from. Also if you check there return policy on the triton it is

Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

* Return for refund within: non-refundable

* Return for replacement within: 30 days

Not as nice as as REI which will take anything back so keep that in mind

Thanks

Matt

I ordered my Triton 1500 from NewEgg late Monday evening. They charged my card and processed my order yesterday. This morning I woke up to a happy surprise, they shipped it yesterday, gave me a UPS tracking number, and it is in transit and will be here Today! Talk about fast processing, they generally say 1 to 2 business days after ordering they will ship, but they shipped the very next morning after I ordered it late at night.

I am very excited. I know there is a lot of controversy over whether these devices will be good or not, and I am always ready to be a guinea pig, so I am taking the plunge. I figure if I get it and I love it, then all is well, but if I get it and I hate it, then on eBay it goes and I will buy a DeLorme. :laughing:

I will let you know today after I get it in hand! ;)

Edited by mattlikesbikes

I will let you know today after I get it in hand! :laughing:

Any chance you (or the other guinea pigs) will post pics of the screens? I'm also curious about how the unit behaves with respect to geocaching and Geocaching POIs (assuming the Triton has such a feature). The quoted posting from the Yahoo Triton group doesn't really get into geocaching with the GPSr. Another thing of interest is autorouting. Does it readily accept DirectRoute maps, is the route calculation faster and better than on the eXplorist, is there an option to avoid toll roads (something I really want), and so on. I'm hoping Magellan will at least catch up with Garmin in terms of handheld autorouting...there hasn't been any change in that department since the Meridian.

I visited Sportsman's Warehouse today who had the new Triton Series advertised in their Day After Thanksgiving flier. When I asked the salesperson behind the GPS counter he frowned at me. He stated that supposedly some of their stores got some but they were incomplete with cords missing, manuals, etc... He didn't suggest buying it for a while until the bugs were worked out. I know I won't be forking out the money for one until I see good reviews, and the things are proven to work. I will keep on using my etrex Legend and be patient. Plus I will have more time to save up for all the accessories! DaddyA

Hey DaddyA...Did ya notice the nearly complete lack of Magellan accessories compared to the Garmin line? What Sportsman's Warehouse did you visit?

Opps, I have not been in the forums for a long time and

I posted this reply in the wrong thread the other day!

After spending 30 years in the outdoor industry, including being a buyer for a GPS dealer, the one request I heard over and over was for

USGS quality topo maps

As far as the number of accessories stocked by Sportsman’s Warehouse, You have to look at the reason they have so many accessories. Garmin has a larger selection of GPS models in their line up. (To many in my opinion as well as the in the opinion of some to the Garmin reps I have worked with over the years) For each series in the Garmin line there is a separated group of accessories that the dealer needs to keep in inventory in order to support each model. From the perspective of a retail buyer, tying up a large amount of money on accessories that you may or may not sell is a huge waste of resources.

As far as the price of the National Geographic maps, well that is not a Magellan issue.

I can see Garmin offering the same capability in the future. There is a segment of the GPS market that wants a 7.5 minute topo map in a hand held GPS. I would agree that a

Topo map on a small screen leaves much to be desired, a large number of customers will shell out the money for those maps.

The big problem with using a PDA of PPC for geocaching is that they are not waterproof and if you drop them they are not going to hold up as well as a stand alone GPS.

The PDA and PPC market has been shrinking over the past two years with the increase in smart phones, in the future a PDA and a PPC may not be an option

As I said,

There is a segment of the GPS market that wants a 7.5 minute topo map in a hand held GPS.

Also if you check there return policy on the triton it is

I won't buy anything from NewEgg if it has this policy (some stuff has a better return policy than others), after an experience with a laptop purchased from them. The hardware/software combination simply don't work well together. Returned once for replacement, discussed with the manufacturer and discovered that's just how that laptop works. So, if you buy a product that's a dog by design, but not defective, tough cookies. So, unless you're absolutely sure you'll like it without trying it, don't buy it from NewEgg.

Also if you check there return policy on the triton it is

I won't buy anything from NewEgg if it has this policy (some stuff has a better return policy than others), after an experience with a laptop purchased from them. The hardware/software combination simply don't work well together. Returned once for replacement, discussed with the manufacturer and discovered that's just how that laptop works. So, if you buy a product that's a dog by design, but not defective, tough cookies. So, unless you're absolutely sure you'll like it without trying it, don't buy it from NewEgg.

Very few electronic stores will let you return something for a refund just because you don't like the product after you got it home. Unless there is a defect in the product, why should they let you return it? That's kind of like going to a restaurant ordering a meal then wanting to change your order to something else because you don't like the flavor of what you ordered in the first place.

Did you try getting your money back from the software manufacturer, since their program didn't work with the computer's operating system and they said it would? Or did you buy a program for a different operating system?

Back on topic -- I wonder how well the Triton will work with Windows Vista, which we have on our laptop. USB connectivity for live position on the maps would be really nice when out in the middle of no-where searching for benchmarks or caches.

John

I just got my Triton from NewEgg yesterday. The USB Data Cable and the CD's were missing from the box. Magellan customer support was horrible, as you all have warned, and they don't even have any cables to send me. NewEgg is also charging me a "re-stocking fee" of $50 and I have to pay return shipping to send this thing back even though all of their units do not have cables or cd's in them. I wonder if that is why Radio Shack took them off the site, they realized the packages were not complete? That is just a guess. So I am completely disgusted with both NewEgg and Magellan, and i will no longer be a customer of either of them in the future ever. I posted a whole long thread about my entire experience here

If anyone has any specific questions about what it does or looks like or want pictures of anything just let me know and I can do that for you. I will have it in hand a day or two more until I get the return authorization to send it back. I ordered a Delorme Earthmate PN-20 this afternoon. The awesome guys from Delorme offered to send me one and give me free overnight shipping so that i would get it tomorrow and still be able to go on my hiking trip this weekend. How awesome was that?!? Their customer service was awesome when I called them. It was a nice guy in Maine, where the company is located, and where I grew up. He knew everything about the unit and answered every question I had.

So, long story short, the Magellan Triton is going back and the Delorme Earthmate PN-20 is on it's way

I have a Magellan Exporist 600 that I have been using for a little over a year now and am very happy with. A couple things I am really hoping to see improved in the Triton are the 200 cache limit per file and the 64 MB Map file limit. Can you tell if those have changed at all from the manual? Did you mention to NewEgg that you were a geocacher and this experience would be posted for thousands of potential customers to read?

Fortunately I have never needed to call Magellan support, but I have called other company's support that use off-shore agents with similar unsatisfactory results.

I don't know much about the Delorme Earthmate PN-20, but it sounds promising just from the level of support you described. I hope you will post a detailed review of it when you get it.

For now I'm pleased with the Exp600 and plan to keep using it, I just hope I never need service or support!

I just have to ask Magellan...... "What are you thinking!!!!!"

Edited by Larry&Wesley