Magellan Triton series

I will be purchasing one when they come out, but I will purchase it from a CDN or US store as here in OZ they are going to be about A$548 for the 400 and A$648 for the 500.

Not sure which one I will be getting though as I am not really so keen on the compass and altimemer.

We shall have to wait and see as they reckon that they will be out mid December

Edited by tttedzeins

I will be purchasing one when they come out, ....

We shall have to wait and see as they reckon that they will be out mid December

I've used a Meridian for a long time, and I really like it. I was excited about the Triton, but two have arrived in our state, and at first look, the result has not been positive.

Read the article

I only see one report. It looks like it came from TigerGPS though they do not show it in stock yet.

I call shenanigans!

"Well, it got here - I popped in some batteries and took it for a spin . . . "

1. yep - just popped in batteries and went for a spin - didn't load any cache data or software or anything. Just went for a spin...

"15 minutes later when it got a lock I walked across the yard to hop in the jeep and lost the signal. "

2. What happened to the whole "popped in battery/went for spin" thingy... ([liar])

3. SIRF III - "15 minute signal lock" - I don't think so, unless your back yard is in a cave in your back yard...

"Regained signal and went for a ride to check it's use hunting a cache." - here we go again. When did you stop to load a cache?

Pulled into the parking area for SunnyGina's Take a Hike and after waiting to get a signal again started walking in what I knew to be the correct direction. After 30 or 40 yards I went home."

lie, lie, limey, lie, lie

try again

I call shenanigans!

lie, lie, limey, lie, lie

try again

I tend to agree. I wouldn't believe it until I saw pictures. Personally if I got one early I would be keen to show it off so would post pictures.

I currently use a MeriColor, I figure that Magellan should just have replaced the screen and upgraded the processor on those.

[edit] At no stage does he mention turning it on. They usually get a lock quicker when powered up.[/edit]

Edited by tttedzeins

I question the authenticity of the "review" as well since numerous people have reported on this very thread that the units won't be in store until December. In addition to this, I have yet to see a store or website that says they are in stock. I believe this is nothing more than a Garmin owning Maggie basher that takes anyone saying good things about a Megellan unit as a personal attack on them. - And this is coming from someone who returned 2 Explorist 400's for defects and got a Legend C instead. (But I'm still getting a Triton)

Well, I was set to buy one of these as soon as they came out, even though I have two perfectly good eXplorist 500's. But now I'm rethinking because:

1) For any model below the 1500, you have to pay extra for the cable. How lame is that? You might as well get a 200 if you're not going to download directly.

2) It appears that street maps will not even be available when the Triton is released, and when streets maps do become available, they're not going to let me use the directroute that I already purchased. So to be of any real use, if I wanted, say, a Triton 400, I could expect to pay in the neighborhood of $200 more than the base cost of the unit. That's if the maps are of comparable price. looks like I'll have to wait until I can't use the eXplorists to justify buying something new.

It appears that street maps will not even be available when the Triton is released, and when streets maps do become available, they're not going to let me use the directroute that I already purchased. So to be of any real use, if I wanted, say, a Triton 400, I could expect to pay in the neighborhood of $200 more than the base cost of the unit. That's if the maps are of comparable price. looks like I'll have to wait until I can't use the eXplorists to justify buying something new.

Maybe I missed it, but has it been stated that older Direct Route packages won't work?

Just posted this correction on my blog. Sorry for the confusion...

Yesterday I said the Magellan Triton series might not be available this holiday season. Well I just received a correction telling me that Magellan will be rolling out units prior to the holiday season, but that review units probably won't be available yet.

My bad. Unfortunately this means I have to buy one if I want to be an early tester!

Edited by Redwoods Mtn Biker

Squaking about a cable is a non-issue. With my Garmin Street Pilot, I have two USB 2.0 cables, and with my voice recorder and digitabl camera, I have two USB mini-cables. If I didn't have those, what's the big deal in dishing out less than $10 for a cable? It's not like Magellan hasn't reduced the price for those options.

Squaking about a cable is a non-issue. With my Garmin Street Pilot, I have two USB 2.0 cables, and with my voice recorder and digitabl camera, I have two USB mini-cables. If I didn't have those, what's the big deal in dishing out less than $10 for a cable? It's not like Magellan hasn't reduced the price for those options.

I'm not 100% on this, but I don't think the Tritons use an industry standard cable - I think it is a proprietary one.

S

People "squak" because they have to shell out the extra cash for the product when it should ship with the dadgum thing. From what everyone has been able to determine its not a straight USB cable, its a proprietary cable. I was under the impression it SHIPPEd with the NG topo maps... which from what I see online now, it does not. I will toss my money garmins way. There are too many question marks with the Triton.

It has been established that it is a proprietary cable. It should be shipped with the unit, but is not. However, the price of the 400 (at $200 no cable), which has similar features to the eXplorits 500 (came with cable, but cost $325 when introduced) seems like a good deal when adding the $30 cost of the cable.

I think Magellan ought to be drawn and quartered for announcing a unit they knew was not even close to being in production. And now they've won awards on the Triton before it even is in production????

I think the key was when Magellan only showed "drawings" of the unit.

I think they did it to deceive the customer into not buying the new Garmin H series units.

I feel bad also for all the people who were suckered by websites claiming to have the Triton in stock, only to find out that wasn't the case. One website isn't going to have it before any others and you'll know from around here the moment that someone actually gets their hands on one. Then it's time to order.

About Radio Shack, they aren't going to have it before others. Even REI claimed to have it in stock a few weeks ago but no one has received them. Odd for REI to do that considering their reputation unless they are going through a 3rd party that claims to have the units then REI follows suit from one of their suppliers.

Edited by gpsblake

I think Magellan ought to be drawn and quartered for announcing a unit they knew was not even close to being in production. And now they've won awards on the Triton before it even is in production????

I think the key was when Magellan only showed "drawings" of the unit.

I think they did it to deceive the customer into not buying the new Garmin H series units.

I feel bad also for all the people who were suckered by websites claiming to have the Triton in stock, only to find out that wasn't the case. One website isn't going to have it before any others and you'll know from around here the moment that someone actually gets their hands on one. Then it's time to order.

About Radio Shack, they aren't going to have it before others. Even REI claimed to have it in stock a few weeks ago but no one has received them. Odd for REI to do that considering their reputation unless they are going through a 3rd party that claims to have the units then REI follows suit from one of their suppliers.

Magellan did the same thing a few years ago. It took them forever to ship their units after the announced release date. Then there were all sorts of problems indicating they still rushed it out without taking care of the design. Garmin must be gloating. I'm a Garmin fan but frankly it's too bad Magellan plays this game. Bad competitors make the rest of the mfr's sloppy figuring they don't have to be so "together". Also, they have no incentive to lower prices if the competition is lousy. I just hope Garmin ignores Magellan's problems and keep providing good support and innovation with their products. It'll be good for them and us in the long run.

Edited by Alan2

Like the new Garmin H series didn't/doesn't have any issues? Funny, reading the forums seem to indicate otherwise. You don't see the Magellan crowd saying "you should of bought a Magellan" in every single thread that lists a Garmin defect or problem. Unlike supporters of another brand does. It almost makes you wonder how many Garmin reps and stooges troll these threads. I guess it's just coincidence that there's a spike in negative comments and horror stories just as Magellan is getting ready to release their new line.

I'm buying the Triton 500 the moment I can find one, and if there's any issues will work through them. Probably in the forums, where you can get some good answers, once you weed past some of the "unbiased" comments.

And no, I have no association with Magellan, other than being a proud Explorist 400 owner (you know, the brand that doesn't lose signal at the sight of a leaf).

I am a 3rd generation Magellan user. I first bought a GPS 320 before the waas days. I then bought a Meridian Gold WAAS, but monochrome display. My most recent unit is the Magellan 500LE. I discovered after I purchased it how good Magellan customer service is. I finally got the topo and direct route to work(with no help at all from magellan) with my vista notebook (sometimes - but often a re-boot is required). I must say that I like the 500 LE as a unit with a good color display, but the computer interface and customer service is nightmarish (I'm very thankful for GSAK!!! - it eased my magellan pain).

Give me a break - 14 channel receiver - that is downright funny. I have seen 13 channels (500LE) on mine twice for a few seconds, and 14 channel 1 time for about 20 seconds (standing still out in the open.) My meridian works better and gets a better signal while I'm actually driving a car, or in motion. I actually play the "i wonder if it will ever hit 14 channels again game" while walking around with it geocaching or hiking out in the open at the top of a mountain.

I need to say as a loyal Magellan customer that I will be purchasing a Garmin next time. I don't care how good the new Magellan is, it can not overcome the experience I have had with magellan as a company. I know users of both products, and I will be going after a 60csx (or newer) next time around.

I never thought I would say I am a garmin customer, but magellan helped me make that decision.

Thanks for helping me on my next purchase magellangps.

The above is my personal opinion. I am glad if magellan was able to deal with your issue with no pain. That is the only thing that scares me about their new units - the service after the sale - OR LACK OF IT!!!

Maybe Groundspeak will change the name of this forum from "GPS Units & Software" to "Only Garmin GPS units".

I may hate Ford, but I don't get on every forum about autos and bitch & moan about them.

Perhaps someone will start the appropriate thread Titled "Why I hate Magellan!" then the rest of us can put it on our ignore list.

Have been using Magellan for close to 10 and have had no problems with their service department. Even had 1 unit replace Free and had a new unit in less than 10 days (due to manufacture error).

I look at the threads here to find out about new products that may be of interest and go along with my hobbies. One thing I have learned is that there is NO WAY I would buy a Garmin if it causes people to become so myopic and arrogant!

Please bring this thread back to the topic of the Triton series of GPSr units and what they will be capable of doing.

John

For any of you wanting to buy a Magellan Triton 2000 or other new unit, you can buy the following 4 GB memory card at a good price today and tomorrow on-line with no shipping cost.

SanDisk 4GB Standard SDHC Card

SDK SDSDB4096A11 $27.99

I think this is the correct one for the Triton.

I think this is the Circit City Link, but can not confirm since Circuit City's Web site is down for update.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/home.do?Key...amp;SESSIONLINK

Please bring this thread back to the topic of the Triton series of GPSr units and what they will be capable of doing.

John

Sorry my friend, I've got to disagree. Since no one knows what the Triton is really about, because no one has even had a test model of it yet. Again, Magellan does deserve to be drawn and quartered for announcing a unit that was only on the chalkboard and not in production.

Five years ago before the Explorist series was on the market, Magellan handhelds were the gold-standard in the market. Almost everyone loved the Magellan Meridian series and they had features that Garmin simply didn't have at the time. They were a technological leader. There was not the complaining back then that you get today about Magellan.

The question is, what changed since?

Nearly all the negative remarks from Magellan come from personal experiences around here.

However, my prediction, once Magellan does actually produce the units is the owners will brag wildly at first about how great these units are just like they did with the Explorist series. That always happens with a new unit on the market... then the bugs get discovered. Only with the Explorist, Magellan was really slow in fixing them or releasing software updates.

I personally hope the Triton's are a good unit that way, Garmin will have to improve their product also, which means we all win.

And speaking of a GPSr company not putting out new units, what happened to Lowrance? I don't they've done anything for a few years now.

I am about to buy my first gps and I figured that I would go all out, I really want the Triton 2000, but I don't know if I can wait any longer. I have a big hike coming up in late December in the smokies and I would like to have it before then. It isn't a must, but it would be nice. What do you guys think? Do I wait?

Sorry my friend, I've got to disagree.

Putting on moderators hat (which is awkward since I've posted in this thread in non-moderator moderator mode) I really do have to agree and would ask that this thread be steered back to that.

Future generations using the search button or current generations using the thread subjects to decide what to read really will be served better if this thread remains about its subject - "Magellan Triton Series" instead of a piling upon of sins of prior generations of products.

If you want to trash talk Triton's use of proprietary USB cables, battery choices, or praise their use of third party maps, that seems in line with "Magellan Triton Series". If you want to trash them for sins of the Meridian or Explorist, that would seem better served in another thread.

Can we *please* keep _this_ thread about Triton?

I am about to buy my first gps and I figured that I would go all out, I really want the Triton 2000, but I don't know if I can wait any longer. I have a big hike coming up in late December in the smokies and I would like to have it before then. It isn't a must, but it would be nice. What do you guys think? Do I wait?

If you have a big hike coming up, get a GPS now and learn to use it. Turn it on, hike with it, set some waypoints, learn how to back-track, etc. Get comfortable with it, and the way to do that is have it in your hand, turned on and pushing buttons, with the manual accessible for the first couple of hours use.

John

Sorry my friend, I've got to disagree. Since no one knows what the Triton is really about, because no one has even had a test model of it yet. Again, Magellan does deserve to be drawn and quartered for announcing a unit that was only on the chalkboard and not in production.

Five years ago before the Explorist series was on the market, Magellan handhelds were the gold-standard in the market. Almost everyone loved the Magellan Meridian series and they had features that Garmin simply didn't have at the time. They were a technological leader. There was not the complaining back then that you get today about Magellan.

The question is, what changed since?

Nearly all the negative remarks from Magellan come from personal experiences around here.

However, my prediction, once Magellan does actually produce the units is the owners will brag wildly at first about how great these units are just like they did with the Explorist series. That always happens with a new unit on the market... then the bugs get discovered. Only with the Explorist, Magellan was really slow in fixing them or releasing software updates.

I personally hope the Triton's are a good unit that way, Garmin will have to improve their product also, which means we all win.

And speaking of a GPSr company not putting out new units, what happened to Lowrance? I don't they've done anything for a few years now.

Nearly all the negative remarks come from only a handful of people.

I've used Magellan since the Meridian Platinum came out. I can't stand the Explorist series for the same reason I won't have a typical Garmin in the E-trex/Vista size. When your finger covers 4 buttons at one time, the unit is just too small. As to those that have had problems with Magellan, all I can say is a lot of people bring those problems on themselves! I have had to return GPSrs and get them replaced and have yet to have it take even 2 weeks to get the new unit in my hands! If some of the folks talked to the reps the way they complain here in the forums it doesn't surprise me that they are having trouble getting anything corrected.

I have seen many, many companies advertise a product that is months, even years away from production, so what? When I'm ready to turn loose the green, if that product isn't available, they lose, not me. I will find something that will fill the need and do it in the fashion I want, but I will not be crying to everyone else about how bad that company is and how we should boycott them.

As for the Triton series, I have considered what I will use it for and how it will fill my needs, but I will wait to actual get the feel of one in my hands before making a final determination as to whether I need or want all the features that are currently listed. If it doesn't improve my outdoor experience then why spend the extra bucks for features that will never get used.

This is the reason for this thread - that is to find out what the new features of the Triton series are and how they will improve my use of a GPSr. It would be nice to find out what is planned for the Triton and how those feature will function without all the whining about "how the big bad company did me in" rhetoric.

John

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

I'm new at the high end GPS game and I confess that I get lost in the technical terms. Through reading posts and reviews, I've come to realize that the big name GPS's (like the Garmin 60 CSX) come with horrible base maps and it costs about $100 to upgrade your maps to something that's usable. Does anyone know if the Triton Series will be similar? Will I also have to shell out another $100 for a reasonable driving map?

Yes. That's the way it is with all the gps makers. You buy the unit, then everything else like car the chargers, cases, maps, etc are an accessory. Unless you get some kind of "Ultimate Adventure Package" or some such thing.

With the Tritons, the big thing is that they can use National Geographic Topo maps (purchased separately) which are really good maps. There's another thread about which NG Topo maps will be compatible at first.

The Vantagepoint software is out, and shows great compatability with both Meridian and Explorist style maps, tracks waypoints, etc., from both older versions of both Topo3D and Directroute. It also seems to be able to import a ton of other formats as well., including gpx and loc.

import.jpg

The software doesn't seem fully developed yet, but for manipulation of data in and out of the units, its pretty solid.

I visited Sportsman's Warehouse today who had the new Triton Series advertised in their Day After Thanksgiving flier. When I asked the salesperson behind the GPS counter he frowned at me. He stated that supposedly some of their stores got some but they were incomplete with cords missing, manuals, etc... He didn't suggest buying it for a while until the bugs were worked out. I know I won't be forking out the money for one until I see good reviews, and the things are proven to work. I will keep on using my etrex Legend and be patient. Plus I will have more time to save up for all the accessories! DaddyA