Magellan Triton series

Given that the Triton hasn't been released yet, how do you'all think it will stack up against the Garmin Vista HCx?

Take the 2000 - It will take a picture of your waypoint, you will record a brief summary of the waypoint, and while you fumble around with the HCx, the 2000 will let you read a book in the dark. It has a bigger screen. No contest - be gone HCx. :D

I should have been more specific. How would the Magellan Triton 500 stack up against the Garmin Vista HCx?

Here's what I'm not liking about National Geographic maps. They are raster based. Vector digital maps can have much greater accuracy with pinpoint precision. I have always felt that digital maps would replace raster maps and this is seen in USGS National Map Corp database. However, National Geographic maps are much more up to date than anything Garmin has offered.

The appearance of Triton maps will differ from Garmin maps both on screen and in the gpsr, basically like the appearance of Mapsource maps vs NG maps.

I believe that using NG raster maps is a bandaide solution for the Triton. But then again, Garmins offer for TeleAtlas does nothing for North America users since TeleAtlas has no database for North America. This means that Garmin will have the same ole same ole outdated maps.

I think during the next 20 years, gpsr topo maps will be going into a difficult transistion but utlimately, digital maps will be the most logicial and viable option.

It comes down to mapping, in the next 20 years, both Garmin and Magellan will come out with newer models, but in the short term Triton is a good choice for the more up to date maps. :D

Given that the Triton hasn't been released yet, how do you'all think it will stack up against the Garmin Vista HCx?

Take the 2000 - It will take a picture of your waypoint, you will record a brief summary of the waypoint, and while you fumble around with the HCx, the 2000 will let you read a book in the dark. It has a bigger screen. No contest - be gone HCx. :D

I should have been more specific. How would the Magellan Triton 500 stack up against the Garmin Vista HCx?

I don't think anyone really knows, since the Triton is not available for purchase. The GpsPasSion forum topic is the only hands-on test I've seen. All we can do is look at the pictures and the specs. I prefer the button layout of the Triton, which uses buttons and a pad instead of the joystick on the eTrex and eXplorist. Reception shouldn't be a problem; SiRF III in the Triton and MediaTek in the eTrex. The 500's compass is triaxial so you don't need to keep the unit flat, unlike the eTrex. The Triton's display appears to have the edge. Assuming the listed 2.2" is diagonal, it comes out a bit bigger than the Vista's 2.14". However, the Triton's display is higher resolution QVGA 320x240 versus the Vista's 220x176. The Vista is known to have great battery life at 25 hours. We don't really know about the Triton. A Triton 2000 was reported to run 8-10 hours, but that has a larger display. We also don't know much about compatibility with maps, except that National Geographic maps are supposed to be usable on the units. The Vista uses a widely available low-cost mini-B USB cable; the Triton uses a proprietary cable. Way too many unknowns right now to make a comparison that goes beyond looking at the specs.

Edited by geognerd

Which brings me to my next point. I think both of the major companies have gone too far with the number of handheld GPSr's available. With the Triton series we will now have the 200-500 (4) and the 1500 and 2000, for a total of 6 different systems, each which will have their own issues and workarounds. Garmin, I believe, has completely lost their freaking mind. You have the venerable 60 Cx and Csx, as well as the... well, let me just list what their current website has listed:

eTrex, eTrex H, eTrex Camo, eTrex Summit, eTrex Venture, eTrex Summit HC, eTrex Venture HC, eTrex Venture Cx, eTrex Legend, eTrex Legend Cx, eTrex Legend HCx, eTrex Vista, eTrex Vista Cx, eTrex Vista HCx (14)

Foretrex 50, Foretrex 101, Foretrex 201 (3)

Geko 201, Geko 301 (2)

GPS 60, GPSMAP 60, GPSMAP 60Cx, GPSMAP 60CSx, (4)

GPS 72

GPS 76, GPSMAP 76, GPSMAP 76S, GPSMAP 76Cx, GPSMAP 76CSx (5)

Rhino 110, Rhino 120, Rhino 130, Rhino 520, Rhino 530, Rhino 520HCx, Rhino 530HCx, (7)

Astro

37 different listed handheld GPSr’s to choose from. THIRTY SEVEN!

yes, not all of them are the latest and greatest, but it kind of gives me an idea of why folks come in here on a daily basis and ask what is the best handheld to use for geocaching. Sheesh I'm all about choice, but this has gotten out of hand...

Do we really need, and can a company actually support this many different types of GPSr's?

no, just look at magellan and their eXplorist line. I got the 600 when it first came out, and I have exactly one update in over two years. Not exactly quality support from a company that is about to foist and shiny new, ultracool GPSr on me, and expect me to buy it (nope, I'll let you sheeple jump over the cliff first this time).

How about an Introductory model, a mid range or two, and a high end model with all the bells and whistles?

I'm just as excited as the next guy/gal when new models are announced, but then it takes me forever to sift through all of the included 'options' and decide on a suitable model for me. I, for one, don't want 37 wonderful flavors in my gadget inbox. Give me chocolate, vanilla, or neopolitan and I'm happy.

sorry for the soapbox... :D

Chevrolet, Ford, Chrysler, Jeep, Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, Landrover... just to name a few companies of similar ilk with multiple models of the virtually the same thing. Let's not even get into the high end stuff.

Just because you don't like the choices provided doesn't mean others are in the same sentiment wth ya. I like the fact there's something out there that fits just about anybody. Bring on more choices I say! The more the better!

How boring would this world be when everybody can only choose from 3 or 4 models from each company of what ever product you want to name off?

Give me chocolate peanut butter ice cream with reese's peanut butter cups broken up in it, large dollops of peanut butter added with fudge and mix it chunky and I'm happy with the subtle differences in flavors and textures.

That would be... To each their own. Stay happy with your plain jane gps. Let the others enjoy what they choose to buy. There's nothing wrong with either choice.

Take this for whatever it's worth--in the issue of "Costco Connection" (a mailer/catalog sent to members, I think) that I received today, they list the Triton 500 for $149.99 after $50 instant coupon savings. The price is supposedly good 11/16/07 - 11/26/07, #240160 (a search of the web site doesn't show anything as of now).

I was looking at the online edition, but I didn't see it what page was it on?

I'm not at home now so I don't have the hardcopy. But I took a look at the online edition and saw that it's there. If you go to the page viewer that shows the thumbnails, it's the first page set in the 10th row. (Or 5th row from the bottom).

Take this for whatever it's worth--in the issue of "Costco Connection" (a mailer/catalog sent to members, I think) that I received today, they list the Triton 500 for $149.99 after $50 instant coupon savings. The price is supposedly good 11/16/07 - 11/26/07, #240160 (a search of the web site doesn't show anything as of now).

Costco is one of those places with generous return policies...although they aren't as generous as they used to be. I hear they were getting too many large-screen tv returns after the superbowl was over.

I was looking at the online edition, but I didn't see it what page was it on?

Costco Connection - November 2007 - Gifts at Your Fingertips (Page 70)

Magellan Triton 500 GPS $149.99 After $50 OFF Plus shipping and handling. Valid 11/16/07–11/26/07 #240160

And, the item is now up on the site... Showing available Nov. 15th :D Edited: Has been changed to December

MagellanTriton 500 Link

Edited by GrannyWagon

I'm not so sure about this whole touch screen thing, I work for a company that makes games for cellphones

and as far as I'm concerned I want a GPSr that is exactly that a GPSr, not a digital camera, not an MP3 player not a touch screen PDA, the more features you cram into one device they less of a quality they all share.

I was disappointed when cell phones started coming out with cameras in them, as it made the software lag and they dent to "crash" more often.

I know it's a convenience thing, but my 2 cents are, give me a GPSr not an iPhone...

I have looked at this one a bit, as I just upgraded to a Garmin Map60CSx

and my buddy is looking into one. I know it has a "cool factor" 'cas of the camera, but if I recall it was a 2Mb camera, my digital camera is 8.1 megapixle.

I know I will be carrying more "gear" into the bush then someone that would choose this unit. but I am still a firm believer in that you get something for one job and something that does that job well. not something that will do many jobs so-so.

And I am sure you are all scratching your heads, reading this from a guy that works for a company that makes games for cell phones, I do have to tell you my cell phone does not have any games on it. it's a cell phone. not an Xbox. But work is work, and not everyone is of the same mind set, that is what makes this world a wonderful place.

Still looking forward to seeing one tho.

Thanks

gbarr

Due to manufacture delay this item will be available in December

The Costco page also says:

'This item is covered by Costco's guarantee to refund your purchase price if you are not completely satisfied. Costco's guarantee applies, even though this item may not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty, because Costco is not an "authorized" dealer of the merchandise.'

Now, what does THAT mean??? :D

Due to manufacture delay this item will be available in December

The Costco page also says:

'This item is covered by Costco's guarantee to refund your purchase price if you are not completely satisfied. Costco's guarantee applies, even though this item may not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty, because Costco is not an "authorized" dealer of the merchandise.'

Now, what does THAT mean??? :D

It means Costco is doing the warrantry instead of magellan. I think they do it based on getting a better price without warrantry coverage from the manufacturer, buying extra units to cover the failed units.

I've been watching this thread with interest and looking at some of the dealer sites. A couple of things I still don't get:

1) I don't see usb cable included "in the box" for anything less than the 1500 model. Are they really going to sell you a gps and then make you pay another 50 bucks to hook it to the computer?

2) Does anyone know what street maps will work with it?

This weekend there was an event here in Uddevalla, Sweden called FAD 2007 .

One of the high points was a presentation of the Triton 500 by Magellan. They had just received it a couple of days before and I managed to get some time with it. It feels a little bit larger and heavier that my Explorist 500 but not much. It's VERY fast! Panning and scrolling the map in the Explorist is very slow and the unit keeps freezing when re-drawing the map. None of that in the Triton! I panned, scrolled and zoomed without any delay at all.

They also showed the new VantagePoint software and it really looked good. It has some really cool features like some 3-D views for the new maps with more altitude information.

According to the swedish rep the Triton will be available in Sweden on December 7.

NEVER buy from Magellan. The heart burn you get from their lack of customer service just isn't worth it. I used to read all the complaints about lack of service and ask myself, "what are these guys talking about?", now that I'm on the receiving end of their "servicing" I KNOW. STAY AWAY! PLEASE!

NEVER buy from Magellan. The heart burn you get from their lack of customer service just isn't worth it. I used to read all the complaints about lack of service and ask myself, "what are these guys talking about?", now that I'm on the receiving end of their "servicing" I KNOW. STAY AWAY! PLEASE!

Exactly what happened?

this triton thing is just like the homer simpson car, trying to cram everything under the sun into it.....they should stop trying to play catch up and release something with good battery life and reception first

from how often updates are released for the hardware, the map updates that are being offered, the software that is used to communicate, and just all around design,,,,garmin still owns the handheld and automotive market

in a side bias note: I hate push screen handhelds without some sort of pen, but even those are difficult to use while stationary.....so this opinion may be biased?

It's been pretty well established in several threads that a bunch of people hate Magellan. I really wish this thread could stick to news and information (and opinions) specifically about the Triton for those of us who are interested in it. If you want to talk about your negative experience with Magellan, start a new thread or regurgitate on of the many previous ones. You might even get some useful information that way.

its not that people hate them......my first handheld GPS was a meridian platinum, which I found to be awsem and very up to date

but I mean...........they update so much slower than garmin, and recently they really havent had anything to praise about, Im all for any company who releases a decent product, whomever wherever however......but they just havent done that....PERIOD

edit: atleast in handhelds they havent anyway.......dont know much about the cars

Edited by gratefulHIKE

its not that people hate them......my first handheld GPS was a meridian platinum, which I found to be awsem and very up to date

but I mean...........they update so much slower than garmin, and recently they really havent had anything to praise about, Im all for any company who releases a decent product, whomever wherever however......but they just havent done that....PERIOD

edit: atleast in handhelds they havent anyway.......dont know much about the cars

I understand your opinion, but again, this thread is about the Triton, and nobody knows yet if it's going to be a good unit or not. Your previous post reflects a valid concern about too many bells and whistles (more things that can go wrong) but the idea is interesting anyway. I guess when they finally release the darn thing maybe we can have a real stormy debate about whether it's any good or not. :D

I've been watching this thread with interest and looking at some of the dealer sites. A couple of things I still don't get:

1) I don't see usb cable included "in the box" for anything less than the 1500 model. Are they really going to sell you a gps and then make you pay another 50 bucks to hook it to the computer?

1] yes, they are.

2] no, we don't

$50 bucks? Come on, that is a gross exageration. No more than $20. Unless ur a newbie, you should have about 1/2 dozen cables laying around anyway.

You're free to characterize me as a newbie if you like. But when I look at the photos of these things original.jpg that were posted in the gpspassion hands-on, I'm guessing I'm not the only one that doesn't have one of those cables in inventory.

Single-source cables tend to be expensive and if the Explorist pricing (and availability: see recent thread from some dude waiting for months for a cable from them) is any indication, $40USD list would not surprise me at all.

Creating proprietary USB cables in 2007 is just plain annoying.

$50 bucks? Come on, that is a gross exageration. No more than $20. Unless ur a newbie, you should have about 1/2 dozen cables laying around anyway.

The casual searches I've done show the cables listed at 44.95 add tax, shipping and you're around 50 bucks.

I'm assuming the Triton will not use the same cable as the ExPlorist line. If that's true then you're also not going to find it 3rd party for 20 bucks.

3 years caching, 1300+ finds, 4 different gps units, don't think I'm a "newbie" but still not afraid to ask for information from the sharp people here in the forums!

The casual searches I've done show the cables listed at 44.95 add tax, shipping and you're around 50 bucks.

I'm assuming the Triton will not use the same cable as the ExPlorist line. If that's true then you're also not going to find it 3rd party for 20 bucks.

3 years caching, 1300+ finds, 4 different gps units, don't think I'm a "newbie" but still not afraid to ask for information from the sharp people here in the forums!

Looking at the pic above it looks like the cable resembles that of my old SporTrak more than anything else. But I'm guessing it's not the same. I'ts certainly nothing like the eXplorist cable.

The cable is $34.99 at Tiger GPS

The price of the model 400 is $199.99, which is a full featured model, comparable to my eXplorist 500 which cost me $325 (included cable) when it was first introduced in 2005.

I would have preferred that they charge $235 and include the cable, but you cannot argue that the total price is bad.

Edited by EScout

The price of the model 400 is $199.99, which is a full featured model, comparable to my eXplorist 500 which cost me $325 (included cable) when it was first introduced in 2005.

I would have preferred that they charge $235 and include the cable, but you cannot argue that the total price is bad.

I'm not really quarreling about the price, I'm probably going to buy one of these things. I just think it's a little cheesy to not include the cable. A first time buyer might not realize they need something else and be very disappointed that they can't use one of the most important features (for geocaching) out of the box.

My only decision now is whether to get the 400 or go all out and get the 1500 or 2000. But now the 1500 looks $34.99 cheaper than it did last week, since it does include the cable!

It may end up being cheaper somewhere else. Tiger's prices aren't all that great, from what I've seen, shopping over the last couple weeks. $56.97 for a 1GB SD card?!? Get real. $5 on eBay....

Mark

I dont trust ebay for anything, its such a medium and I would much rather purchase from established companies and pay a bit more than go for the cheaper. Even if the seller has 50,000+ sales I just dont like it.

Something like a microsd card can be purchased at staples relatively cheap and if it isnt compatible can easily be brought back to the store. Maybe its a pet peeve but there are to many shisters out there.

37 different listed handheld GPSr’s to choose from. THIRTY SEVEN!

I asked the Garmin rep, Why is it that Garmin keeps bringing out new model while keeping the old models in the line. The rep was as baffled as I was.

Now there is the e-trex H series that sell for the same price as the non H series, who is going to by the non H series. The dealers won't.

One thing I never saw Garmin do is discount one models to get rid of them. Maybe that is why so many on listed on the Garmin web site. They just cannot get rid of them. :lol:

I think that is indeed the case!

I dont trust ebay for anything, its such a medium and I would much rather purchase from established companies and pay a bit more than go for the cheaper. Even if the seller has 50,000+ sales I just dont like it.

Something like a microsd card can be purchased at staples relatively cheap and if it isnt compatible can easily be brought back to the store. Maybe its a pet peeve but there are to many shisters out there.

E-bay is funny. I was looking for an item and found one that wasn't bid on. It had 30 min. remaining until the bid closed. I bid on it at the staring price. I was taken the the sellers web site and I had the option of purchasing it now. Turns out that the seller uses e-bay to sell its products and you can buy anything at the starting price.

MacMall just told me today that they expect the Magellan Triton 2000 to be in stock by this Friday 11/9/07.

I would wait until other sites also confirm they are getting the units on that date. MacMall won't get them any sooner than anyone else so if they are the only ones claiming to have it in stock by 11/9, it's too good to be true.

Someone on this forum already got deceived by a website claiming to have the Triton 2000 in stock in October and ordered it. I think it was overstock.com

MacMall just told me today that they expect the Magellan Triton 2000 to be in stock by this Friday 11/9/07.

I would wait until other sites also confirm they are getting the units on that date. MacMall won't get them any sooner than anyone else so if they are the only ones claiming to have it in stock by 11/9, it's too good to be true.

Someone on this forum already got deceived by a website claiming to have the Triton 2000 in stock in October and ordered it. I think it was overstock.com

The claim was that overstock.com sent a cheesy camera instead of the Triton and then wouldn't refund the money. The story sounded unlikely to begin with. In addition, my wife looks at overstock at least daily and watches for stuff for me as well as herself. She says overstock NEVER advertised a Triton for sale. I think the poster was confused... interesting side note: overstock advertises a "golf gps" that looks exactly like an eXplorist 500 with all the buttons and printing on the case relabeled!

I'm leaning toward getting the Triton 1500 when it's available. I might as well go for the touch screen, since I already have two working eXplorist 500's so there's really no point in geting something that's just an upgrade of that model. I'd like to get it from Costco since you never have to worry about returning an item, but it looks like they're only going to sell the 400 for now...

I pre ordered a Magellan Triton 500 GPS in hopes that it would be out soon... I talked to a Rep and they told me it would be out Late November... I just checked the website again... Magellangps.com and found that they are reset to release in MID JANUARY, whats going on... anyone have any information as to why they keep reseting the release date... I am buying a new GPS cause i dropped my meridan Gold and it broke. I am out a GPS untill i get the new one. so Geocaching is out till i get it...Hopefully sometime next year! :huh:

I pre ordered a Magellan Triton 500 GPS in hopes that it would be out soon... I talked to a Rep and they told me it would be out Late November... I just checked the website again... Magellangps.com and found that they are reset to release in MID JANUARY, whats going on... anyone have any information as to why they keep reseting the release date... I am buying a new GPS cause i dropped my meridan Gold and it broke. I am out a GPS untill i get the new one. so Geocaching is out till i get it...Hopefully sometime next year! :huh:

Could you provide a link to where you are seeing that? I must be missing it.

Magellan will not support the Meridian. Even if you purchased it 3 short years ago. I would be wary of buying any products from Magellan

I pre ordered a Magellan Triton 500 GPS in hopes that it would be out soon... I talked to a Rep and they told me it would be out Late November... I just checked the website again... Magellangps.com and found that they are reset to release in MID JANUARY, whats going on... anyone have any information as to why they keep reseting the release date... I am buying a new GPS cause i dropped my meridan Gold and it broke. I am out a GPS untill i get the new one. so Geocaching is out till i get it...Hopefully sometime next year! :blink:

Never expect Maggie to tell you anything, or make it easy to find. Here is the link I found at the Maggie factory sales store. And yes, it does say Mid-January delivery, for those too lazy to click...

I wonder if we could storm the gates and take over the company. They must have a bunch of drones in their marketing department. sheesh.

Triton Press release, August 7, 2007.

"official" [or ANY] information from Magellan since then? ZERO.

Edited by Jhwk

Ya know, I have to be honest, I don't really care if it is mid-January. I'd like to have it today, but I'm glad it is coming out and I assume they are taking the time because they need it, not because they are a big-bad evil company. I'll use my trusty magellan 315 :blink: until then.

Why not go buy a 315, or some other old model, on ebay for under $40, enjoy the extra challenge and chill? Life is good, it's all about attitude.

I'm new around here but thought I would pass along a little conjecture and hearsay. I went to our local Cabela's and I ask the sales person in the GPS dept when the Tritons would be available. he looked it up in the computer and the Cabela's distribution center (wherever that is) has a scheduled Triton delivery of 11-15-07. So take it for what it's worth (not much).

I think I'll wait to pick up a Triton 500 from Costco.com for $149... that is IF Costco will honor the $50 coupon (which expires at the end of November) Costco indicates they will be available in December.

Edited by grimbasement

Ya know, I have to be honest, I don't really care if it is mid-January. I'd like to have it today, but I'm glad it is coming out and I assume they are taking the time because they need it, not because they are a big-bad evil company. I'll use my trusty magellan 315 :laughing: until then.

Why not go buy a 315, or some other old model, on ebay for under $40, enjoy the extra challenge and chill? Life is good, it's all about attitude.

I know this is off topic but after reading 5 lengthy pages of whining and moaning this post was a breath of fresh air. This guys logic is undeniable. I wish we could all walk through life with that kind of attitude.

Edited by joe81tx

It must be getting close to release, Circuit City has just added them to their web site too.

I'd rather wait for them to work out all the bugs instead of having to keep updating firmware all the time. I swear by reading the posts, a lot of people just love updating firmware for the sake of having a higher revision number. To me, the fewer bug fixes you have to do, the better it was thought out and written in the first place.

Just as long as they get it out in time so I can get one for a Christmas present :blink: