Magellan Triton series

batteries seem to be the one area that noone can agree upon. I like the Lion's in the explorists as well, but others will make their purchasing position based soley on the use of standard alkaline batteries like the AA.

actually, the eXplorists let you (us) have both. which was nice...

That was a great option for everyone. Why they wouldn't do it for these newer models is beyond me. An led flashlight won't exactly eat through batteries. As an MP3 player it'd depend if it was flash memory or minidrive.

My guess. Magellan was having problems selling the Li batteries for the Explorist so they decided not to offer a Li battery for the Trition.

Gee go figure, Magellan is selling the battery for over $40.00 when you can find the Motorola version for about $3.00. I guess Magellans marketing people live in their own world of reality. Of course these are the same people that think customers want a flashlight, camera and MP3 player in a GPS. I guess it looks good in a press release that is sent to media writers that do not even know what a GPS is.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Of course these are the same people that think customers want a flashlight, camera and MP3 player in a GPS. I guess it looks good in a press release that is sent to media writers that do not even know what a GPS is.

This marketing technique is aimed at the same consumers who want their mobile phones to do everything except cook dinner. And, judging from the popularity of the newer GPS units with electronic compasses, aerial maps, etc., I say the new Maggies will sell like hotcakes at least initially. I wait with anticipation for all of the whining forum threads from disappointed buyers who just HAD to rush out and buy one.

This being said, I find the Triton series quite attractive and the touch screen a good idea if it works. The flashlight, camera, and MP3 player I could live without.

Which brings me to my next point. I think both of the major companies have gone too far with the number of handheld GPSr's available. With the Triton series we will now have the 200-500 (4) and the 1500 and 2000, for a total of 6 different systems, each which will have their own issues and workarounds. Garmin, I believe, has completely lost their freaking mind. You have the venerable 60 Cx and Csx, as well as the... well, let me just list what their current website has listed:

eTrex, eTrex H, eTrex Camo, eTrex Summit, eTrex Venture, eTrex Summit HC, eTrex Venture HC, eTrex Venture Cx, eTrex Legend, eTrex Legend Cx, eTrex Legend HCx, eTrex Vista, eTrex Vista Cx, eTrex Vista HCx (14)

Foretrex 50, Foretrex 101, Foretrex 201 (3)

Geko 201, Geko 301 (2)

GPS 60, GPSMAP 60, GPSMAP 60Cx, GPSMAP 60CSx, (4)

GPS 72

GPS 76, GPSMAP 76, GPSMAP 76S, GPSMAP 76Cx, GPSMAP 76CSx (5)

Rhino 110, Rhino 120, Rhino 130, Rhino 520, Rhino 530, Rhino 520HCx, Rhino 530HCx, (7)

Astro

37 different listed handheld GPSr’s to choose from. THIRTY SEVEN!

yes, not all of them are the latest and greatest, but it kind of gives me an idea of why folks come in here on a daily basis and ask what is the best handheld to use for geocaching. Sheesh I'm all about choice, but this has gotten out of hand...

Do we really need, and can a company actually support this many different types of GPSr's?

no, just look at magellan and their eXplorist line. I got the 600 when it first came out, and I have exactly one update in over two years. Not exactly quality support from a company that is about to foist and shiny new, ultracool GPSr on me, and expect me to buy it (nope, I'll let you sheeple jump over the cliff first this time).

How about an Introductory model, a mid range or two, and a high end model with all the bells and whistles?

I'm just as excited as the next guy/gal when new models are announced, but then it takes me forever to sift through all of the included 'options' and decide on a suitable model for me. I, for one, don't want 37 wonderful flavors in my gadget inbox. Give me chocolate, vanilla, or neopolitan and I'm happy.

sorry for the soapbox... :)

I asked the Garmin rep, Why is it that Garmin keeps bringing out new model while keeping the old models in the line. The rep was as baffled as I was.

Now there is the e-trex H series that sell for the same price as the non H series, who is going to by the non H series. The dealers won't.

One thing I never saw Garmin do is discount one models to get rid of them. Maybe that is why so many on listed on the Garmin web site. They just cannot get rid of them. :)

Edited by Gen Santa Ana 2

That reminds me of the time I was working as a GPS buyer for a retailer. I would ask the Garmin rep, Why is it that Garmin keeps bringing out new model while keeping the old models in the line. The rep was as baffled as I was.

Now there is the e-trex H series that sell for the same price as the non H series, who is going to by the non H series. The dealers won't.

One thing I never saw Garmin do is discount one models to get rid of them. Maybe that is why so many on listed on the Garmin web site. They just cannot get rid of them. :)

All the older eTrex models are going to be discontinued, but are supposed to still be available through the 3rd quarter.

What about the first Venture, I has nothing in common with the new Ventures, why is even being made anymore. At least with Magellan it is easy to follow there thinking.

In about a year Garmin may have 50 hand helds, it is just crazy

actually, I missed a few more forerunners (301, 205, and 305) so now the count stands at FORTY!

If you count the handheld Garmin 96 series they've got 46. Then you can count the Ique's also.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=156

Seriously, having all those different active GPS models is a very good thing. See, Garmin is willing to cater to specific markets within the handheld unit market. The GEKO is great if you are a hiker and need something real small. The Etrex is small but powerful and covers the general market. The 76 and 72 series caters to boaters and floats. The 60 series is the top of the line with a larger screen. The Forerunners are runners. The Edge for bicyclist. The 96 are for pilots.

Of course it helps when a showcase is filled with different Garmin models vs Magellan models that look the same to the novice.

We're looking at getting something in color. We were considering the 500 from Magellan since we've had great luck with the brand. Complaints about customer service fall on deaf ears with us because most customer service comes out of India or Pakistan and sucks rotten eggs anyway.

Garmin support is out of Olathe, Kansas. I've spoken to them several times. They speak English and know exactly what they are talking about. Their service is excellent.

I'm not posting this on my weblog until tomorrow morning, but I'm going to go ahead an put it out here for the Groundspeak community. I had submitted some questions to Magellan about the Triton series and I got the answers a little while ago.

Q: Will the Triton series be able to auto-route, assuming the proper Magellan maps are loaded to the unit?

A: Yes, this will require an application upgrade and the purchase of a Magellan Street Map. This option will be available in early 2008.

Q: Can you provide more details on photo geocoding? For example, will the Triton 2000 write location data to the EXIF header?

A: The geographic coordinates (Lat/Long) will be recorded in the jpeg header file.

Q: Will the Triton accept geocaching log data (like descriptions, hints, previous logs) along with the actual geocache points?

A: All geocaches will have to be loaded into VantagePoint prior to synchronization with Triton, but most (if not all) geocache attributes are supported in VP. Stig (Pedersen, Senior Director of Marketing) may be able to comment on exactly which attributes are attainable through the Triton user interface.

Q: How many geocache points can be loaded to the device?

A: I believe the communicated limit is 1000, but there should be no reason (other than available space) that would limit the maximum.

Q: Will the unit accept standard .gpx files via USB?

A: .GPX files will be loaded into VantagePoint first, then VP will communicate with Triton via USB.

Now that the thread is back to the Tritons.

A: .GPX files will be loaded into VantagePoint first, then VP will communicate with Triton via USB.

Not knowing what Vantage Point will do (As far as editing cache info), I wonder if you can send caches from GASK to Vantage Point.

Now that the thread is back to the Tritons.

Not knowing what Vantage Point will do (As far as editing cache info), I wonder if you can send caches from GASK to Vantage Point.

My guess is that gpsbabel will (as soon as someone writes the plugin) be able to bypass VP much as it is able to bypass the eXplorist's waypoint manager and write directly to the eXplorist. This would mean that GSAK would be able to as well.

Jhwk. I totally understand your point.

http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.3.4/fmt_garmin.html

There are easily over a hundred models in the air. Those are all relatively recent and viable units - we didn't dig for things like the GPS38 and the GPS 45 which are rumoured to work. The hardcore marine and aviation units aren't even listed.

Does "H" series in Garminsville end the H-nots? Let's see, same price and a receiver circuit that can actually hold a satellite fix. This armchair product manager sees the death of the H-nots as imminent. (Shame that they actually didn't execute the serial units in 2007 - if I never answered another question about USB/serial adapters, I would be happy.)

As for GPSBabel on Triton, there are a couple of things that need to happen. It's pretty much exactly the same set of things that needs to happen for Delorme PN-20 or any other format or hardware.

1) Hardware access. Someone has to actually have one. Higher purchase price is a higher burden.

2) Spec access. If we have to reverse engineer protocols or formats, the cost goes up by a factor of 10 or more. Explorist was pretty trivial as we were able to pretty easily see the files that were being schlepped around and recognize all the fields in them. If it's not a human readable file based transmission, life is much harder.

3) Someone has to actually do the work. Depending on the complexity of the communications in question, the time to develop and integrate a new module probably starts somewhere around two hours for trivial formats and can reach into the 200-300 hour range for crazy complilcated ones. (Are you willing to dedicate up to 7 weeks of your day job/salary to code it?)

4) Someone has to support it. It has to work on at least three OSes (note that none of the GPS vendors even have the bar set that high) and someone has to answer and deal with the "but my cache page written in Elbonian crashes" and the "I want a pony" requests that are inevitable.

At this point, Triton has zero items on that list going for it. PN-20 has one: Delorme has published the specs.

Given the track record of Geocache Manager, I'll suggest that mentioning to every Magellan rep you see that they MUST provide an open and programmer friendly interface to hardware is a must.

Rich, good info. Saying there is no limit is one thing and declaring a practical max is another. If you put 5 million placemarks nine inches apart on a map and zoom out and set the map for track up and start doing donuts in the parking lot, is it actually going to work well? I'll bet it doesn't. So while I welcome the enthusiasm of your speaker - and heaven knows I'm tired of the 200 wpt limit - "infinite" is a sucker bet.

If you put 5 million placemarks nine inches apart on a map and zoom out and set the map for track up and start doing donuts in the parking lot, is it actually going to work well? I'll bet it doesn't.

If it's a dirt parking lot, I volunteer to do the donut test, and I'll even eat some donuts during the test, if you want. :)

Q: Will the Triton series be able to auto-route, assuming the proper Magellan maps are loaded to the unit?

A: Yes, this will require an application upgrade and the purchase of a Magellan Street Map. This option will be available in early 2008.

How is everyone else reading this?

By application upgrade, do they mean we will have to run our DR v2 and v3 maps through some kind of conversion process so the Triton can read them? And by the option being available in early 2008, do they mean the Triton cannot autoroute using the existing DirectRoute until then? Or do they mean a new version of DirectRoute is coming out in early 2008?

Q: How many geocache points can be loaded to the device?

A: I believe the communicated limit is 1000, but there should be no reason (other than available space) that would limit the maximum.

I will believe it when someone else buys the first unit and then comes here and tells us about it...

embra - you jumping first this time?

robert - thanks for the info, I always appreciate your vast knowledge and untiring efforts to support us knuckleheads. :blink:

How is everyone else reading this?

By application upgrade, do they mean we will have to run our DR v2 and v3 maps through some kind of conversion process so the Triton can read them? And by the option being available in early 2008, do they mean the Triton cannot autoroute using the existing DirectRoute until then? Or do they mean a new version of DirectRoute is coming out in early 2008?

I would vote for the latter. Minor upgrades to the mapping, some type of coding that would only allow for Triton and eXplorist lines, then force everyone to upgrade to a new system = $$$ for maggie. Come on, this is a company trying to make money... And it's about time they REALLY upgraded their map programs.

Eh, I didn't exactly feel like I got a toasty derrière last time, but my confidence in the company needs some fortification to play pioneer this time. I also anticipate too much static interference from the spousal unit in light of the PN-20 acquisition earlier this year.

If we find the Holy Grail has been delivered unto us, I'm not ruling out some liquidation of current stock in favor of an upgrade...

Regarding the autorouting aspects, I also expect DRv4 is imminent. They needed a different file format for the new processor they used in the Explorist, and I'll bet there's a new format needed for the Triton processor.

Eh, I didn't exactly feel like I got a toasty derrière last time, but my confidence in the company needs some fortification to play pioneer this time. I also anticipate too much static interference from the spousal unit in light of the PN-20 acquisition earlier this year.

While tempted, I didn't aquire a PN-20, so I'll be an early adopter on this one, and will let you know the details as fast as I can figure them out.

Hopefully the new Triton will have...

1) A USB cable that is standard and not properitary. Garmin uses a standard easily available USB cable.

2) Mapsend maps can be loaded so that current Magellan owners don't have to fork over more $$$ for new mapping software.

3) All the statistics that bicyclists want like average moving MPH, a seperate trip odometer, total time, moving time all readable on one screen like the Garmins. (okay, that's my special interest)

4) A really excellent geocaching mode. They would sell the dickens out of these units if the geocaching mode is outstanding.

Hopefully they learned their mistakes from the Explorist lines when they dumped down the units vs the Meridians.

Edited by gpsblake

1) A USB cable that is standard and not properitary. Garmin uses a standard easily available USB cable.

2) Mapsend maps can be loaded so that current Magellan owners don't have to fork over more $$$ for new mapping software.

3) All the statistics that bicyclists want like average moving MPH, a seperate trip odometer, total time, moving time all readable on one screen like the Garmins. (okay, that's my special interest)

4) A really excellent geocaching mode. They would sell the dickens out of these units if the geocaching mode is outstanding.

Hopefully they learned their mistakes from the Explorist lines when they dumped down the units vs the Meridians.

1. I doubt it. They have had proprietary cables since... proprietary cables were invented? :laughing:

2. Follow the money, the meridians and explorists could use the same maps (within limits). The maps and autorouting routines need a serious upgrade. I think they will go for a new hardware/software slant, although some of the wording on their unit propoganda sheets makes it look like the eXplorist line will still be able to use the maps with a pass through the Vantage Point software. I would really like to see more photos on this thing. The stock photos don't look like REAL units, but artist renditions, and I would like to see all of the connection points/covers/ etc..

3. Maybe - but I'm not a cyclist, unless you count playing a computer game where my character rides a bike. :laughing:

4. Actually, I think the geocaching, as it works now, is [pretty] good. It's not great, or perfect, or an all in one solution, so I could get rid of my Palm, but it's good and gets me to the cache on time.

anyone out there got secret photos of the Triton. Funny, I can see new cars and phone that I won't hold for over a year, but not a GPS that's being released in a few months.

Embra, didn't know you jumped on the PN-20. Was it worth it?

3) I use my Explorist on my bike, I am only intersted in my currunt speed and distance traved and that is included in the Exporist 500

4) For my use the Geocaching function of just fine the way it is. When I look at the map screen I can tell if the cache is a Multi or a Regular cache. When I find the cache I can mark it found. That is all I need.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Embra, didn't know you jumped on the PN-20. Was it worth it?

Please excuse a short digression, folks.

In a nutshell, I really like that the included Topo USA 6 software allows one to do things like add tracks as routable trails or roads, or that a number of other draw objects can be added to maps that can be loaded to GPS. I've not found the satellite imagery that useful for my interests, but I liked the NGS topo maps well enough to buy the ones for my state. The GPS display is small, but of great quality.

But the PN-20 has some rough edges. Some of these are firmware design oversights that should be addressed with upgrades (refreshingly, Delorme staff participate in their forums, so you really get a sense that your feedback is heard and appreciated...and, for that matter, customer support seems top notch). I think the PN-20 is great for hiking and biking, but it's worse than Explorists for autorouting and POI searches (too slow to be useful). I recommend it with warnings about what *not* to expect...there are plenty of people whose expectations were not met, were much frustrated, and sent the units back within the 30 day return window.

So, I kind of feel like when I got my 500: happy with feature improvements, but aware of some shortcomings...however, I feel much more optimistic about significant improvements being delivered in the foreseeable future.

OK, back to Triton talk.

4. Actually, I think the geocaching, as it works now, is [pretty] good. It's not great, or perfect, or an all in one solution, so I could get rid of my Palm, but it's good and gets me to the cache on time.

4) For my use the Geocaching function of just fine the way it is. When I look at the map screen I can tell if the cache is a Multi or a Regular cache. When I find the cache I can mark it found. That is all I need.

Really? I'm surprised. What I dream of is getting all of my cache data on one device and not have to rely on a palm or smart phone to view the cache page info and log entries. I want all that data on the GPS itself, and there is absolutely no reason it can't be there.

--Marky

Those Buttholes discontinued the explorist line :D:o ! now ill have to sell mine on ebay so i can buy a triton 2000 :huh:

http://www.magellangps.com/support/obsoleteProducts.asp does not show any Explorist as obsolete.

You're free to look at the wall and speculate where the writing will go, but I don't see that they've obsoleted Explorist at this time.

Edited by robertlipe

The Triton has to be better than the half-baked Garmin technology. Garmin hasn't come out with anything new, just adding numbers and letters to old products with marginal improvements.

Sorry, but I can't agree with that. I will take one model:

Starts with the etrex legend: mapping gps with serial connection, monochrome

Next, Legend C: color mapping, autorouting, USB connection

Legend CX: Legend C with added expandable memory

Legend HCX: Legend CX with twice the waypoint storage capacity, and a much better receiver

And if you want a compass and barometer, the etrex vista followed the same evolutionary path. Same goes for the 60 and 76 series.

This seems to me to be a very logical and progressive series of steps. I think it also shows how much the consumer likes the gps. If they didn't Garmin would scrap the design totally and come out with a totally new design, which I think Magellan does. Also, as far as the Triton goes, it seems like 90% of the posters here would be weary of buying it right away. Did that high percentage feel the same way about buying the new "H" series from Garmin. I think the numbers could be reversed. A totally new design does not mean a better product. To the contrary, continually adding features to an existing proven product seems to me to be a better route. If Magellan had added the new features to the existing Explorist series, I don't think consumers would shy away from the unit as much. Just my opinion.

Edited by GreatCanadian

I hesitate to buy anything new. As much as I love the Ford Mustang I didn't jump on the preorder list for the 2005. Yes, it's a lot more money but I don't jump on the first thing out because I know from beta testing the new release usually still has bugs to work out. It's called getting a product to market and repair with upgrades if applicable. If we all waited for a perfect product at launch we'd all be sitting on our thumbs a long time and that's for anything not just a GPS unit.

***Noticed TigerGPS is advertising a Magellan ship date of October now.

Edited by Sileny Jizda

I don't jump on the first thing out because I know from beta testing the new release usually still has bugs to work out. It's called getting a product to market and repair with upgrades if applicable.

Years have gone by and the Meridians still have bugs, never to be worked out. :huh:

Edited by sledgehampster

Really? I'm surprised. What I dream of is getting all of my cache data on one device and not have to rely on a palm or smart phone to view the cache page info and log entries. I want all that data on the GPS itself, and there is absolutely no reason it can't be there.

--Marky

agreed - that's why I said it's [pretty] good. I can find caches, mark them off, and have SOME of the data I need. I still tote around my palm, and it would be nice to get rid of. Here's hoping the Triton's will allow you to have all of the data for a cache. (pictures would be cool too...)

http://www.magellangps.com/support/obsoleteProducts.asp does not show any Explorist as obsolete.

You're free to look at the wall and speculate where the writing will go, but I don't see that they've obsoleted Explorist at this time.

There is one eXplorist on the list. The eXplorist 500 North America. (November 2006)

You're right. The 500 was replaced by the 500LE which was just the 500 without the charger and the LiIon batter but with the AAA clip thing instead. It's not like firmware updates became any more or less available for that model; that was just a packaging/bundling exercise.

My point really was that saying that the Explorist line has already been discontinued seems unsupported.

You're right. The 500 was replaced by the 500LE which was just the 500 without the charger and the LiIon batter but with the AAA clip thing instead. It's not like firmware updates became any more or less available for that model; that was just a packaging/bundling exercise.

My point really was that saying that the Explorist line has already been discontinued seems unsupported.

Ah, I understand what you are saying now. I stand corrected when you look at it that way sir.

Since the maker is saying "available in October", I'm taking their answer more seriously than Canadian Tire's flyer.

Word travels very fast these days. If these things were in the hands of anyone not under an NDA, the world would know.

still... I sure would like to see something rather than the stock photos (drawings imho) already out. I can find ppics of cars and cell phones [and new ipod nano's] that won't be out for months but can't find one of a hand held thats fast approaching.

guess I'll have to keep hunting goooooooogle images...

Edited by Jhwk

I asked the Garmin rep, Why is it that Garmin keeps bringing out new model while keeping the old models in the line. The rep was as baffled as I was.

One thing I never saw Garmin do is discount one models to get rid of them. Maybe that is why so many on listed on the Garmin web site. They just cannot get rid of them. :D

I spoke with both Garmin and Magellan sales managers when I was at the Outdoor Retailer show a few weeks ago in Salt Lake. I'm not a retailer but teach Geocaching and try to keep up on the products. Here's a few key points that were shared with me:

- Garmin sales manager indicated to me that the eTrex HCx series will replace the existing Cx series. And, in fact, they did not have the eTrex Cx line for sale to retailers at the show. I was also told it was likely you would see both HCx and Cx models side-by-side at retailers until the old units were sold out.

- Regarding your point of Garmin discounting to get rid of the, it's really more the situation that the retailers have them to get rid of. Garmin was not selling the old units at this recent show. I do find it interesting, for example, that REI is selling the old and new Visa and Legend eTrex models at exactly the same price side-by-side in the showcase. The takeaway here is to make sure your friends all know this and tell others to NOT buy anything but the HCx series.

- Just on a Magellan note, the new Triton series is absolutely astounding! This might even get me to consider a non-Garmin product. The series is FAR easier to use than anything at market, it uses third party maps (Magellan is getting out of map business at end of year), and is cheaper than comparable Garmin products.

- Yes, there are a ton of GPS receivers at market. But there are a lot of unique applications and users. As a Geocaching instructor, I find it pretty simple to present to my students. I simply recommend the eTrex Legend as a perfectly good unit at $269 or spend $30 more to get the Vista. There's no reason to spend the money on the GPSMap series. Or, I recommend the comparable in the Magellan line. You can make it complicated or make it simple. In my last class of about a dozen, half went out and bought a Vista or Legend, and about half already had a GPSMap, which is overkill -- especially with the HCx series that actually performs as well or better and is smaller.

- Just on a Magellan note, the new Triton series is absolutely astounding! This might even get me to consider a non-Garmin product. The series is FAR easier to use than anything at market, it uses third party maps (Magellan is getting out of map business at end of year), and is cheaper than comparable Garmin products.
Plus I think Garmin is shooting themselves in the foot by scaling back to only giving one unlock code with the latest City Nav maps.
- Yes, there are a ton of GPS receivers at market. But there are a lot of unique applications and users. As a Geocaching instructor, I find it pretty simple to present to my students. I simply recommend the eTrex Legend as a perfectly good unit at $269 or spend $30 more to get the Vista. There's no reason to spend the money on the GPSMap series. Or, I recommend the comparable in the Magellan line. You can make it complicated or make it simple. In my last class of about a dozen, half went out and bought a Vista or Legend, and about half already had a GPSMap, which is overkill -- especially with the HCx series that actually performs as well or better and is smaller.

For beggining geocachers OK. I find the need for better maps than what Garmin has and continues to offer. Seems like Magellan is solving this problem.

Edited by GeoidPS
Regarding your point of Garmin discounting to get rid of the, it's really more the situation that the retailers have them to get rid of.

Garmin may not be taking orders for old units at the show. But having been a buyer for a Garmin dealer for several years I can tell you from experiance that Garmin has stock and will take orders for older products.

They just are not willing to sell the product off at a lower price. As Far as REI having the old and new versions for sale at the same price, that is becasue REI cost was the same on both of them.

Outdoor retailer is a place to showcase new products, When I was buying for the companies I was working for at the time my mission was to find Hot New Items. If a manufacture did not have something new I had to reason to be in the booth, other than to say hello.

Regarding your point of Garmin discounting to get rid of the, it's really more the situation that the retailers have them to get rid of.

As Far as REI having the old and new versions for sale at the same price, that is becasue REI cost was the same on both of them.

This is why I shudder when folks talk about shopping for a GPSr in wally world. They don't know that the sportrak is now two generations [almost three] old...

lesson learned: research, then buy.

And one more thing... I thought I saw an interesting feature that we hadn't seen on maggies in a few iterations, and I quote from the T1500 and T2000 Product Features list here.

"External antenna connector - Simply plug in an external antenna in your boat or off-road vehicle for enhanced GPS signal reception"

BAM - I knew I had forgotten that. Interesting, only listed on the 1500 and 2000, and NOT listed on any of the .pdf documentation thats been floating around here.