What is the "life expectancy" of a cache etc ...

Does anyone know how long a cache should "live"? I have a few caches, as well as part interest in some of thecheekygirl caches, and we tend to find that, for straight caches, once 35-50 people have been, that interest tails off. This can mean that a cache may not get visited for, say, 2 months and, as owners, we feel a responsibility to go and check that it is still there.

We recently archived our NASA 1, NASA 2 and NASA 3 caches as parts 1 and 3 had been muggled (possibly cleared away as part of local park clean-ups?) and took 2 out as this fitted in well with the other parts, but none had been visited for a while and we were disappointed for a would-be finder to have to log 3 DNFs (they actually had the wrong spot for NASA 2 and it was still there) but maybe we should have stopped by and checked on them and logged a note to that effect on the cache?

How do other cachers view the "life expectancy" of a cache? Maybe once it reaches the point that it gets no visitors it should be archived and a fresh, differently named, cache located nearby? Any views please?

Thanks, Butttercup!

I've noticed on mine (after a year) that once the local cachers find them....then they sit until the out-of-towners find them. I have had ZERO muggled.

I have the permits for the parks...so, I may archive them and create new ones in the same parks to stir up interst again. Maybe I'll switch one or two from a day to a night cache.

Edited by GURU4HIRE

I don't see the point in archiving an older cache and then placing one nearby to get people out there again. To me, that just starts to be about the numbers and not about the area, since a lot of those people that come to log it will have been there the last time they came to the archived cache.

I like the caches I place, whether they get visited every week, or only once or twice a year. I get a special pleasure out of all of them, for different reasons. They were good enough when I placed them, and they'll be good enough forever I hope, unless something happens in the future to make me archive them. Each time I archive a cache it's like a little part of me dies. I don't like that feeling. I avoid it. :anitongue:

My oldest caches are 5 years old. Still going strong. :lol:

As long as they're well maintained, I don't see any reason they shouldn't stay out as long as possible. There are still caches out there from the very beginnings of geocaching.

I suppose over time yes, some caches will get fewer visits as the most of the locals have hit it, but there are always visitors to the area that may still find it. I know I myself enjoy caching while I travel. So, like IO said, as long as they're in good shape leave them out there to be found. You never know when that fresh log will show up from some grateful cacher. :anitongue:

I have one that the current location could not hide it well anymore and cache needed to be moved. It had been in place since 12/14/2002, a fairly remote location and only visited occasionally (75 finds).

The location always received compliments so I decided it was a place worth bringing people back to again even if it was only to get another count.

I don't believe I would do that with any of my other caches. Maybe a couple in a few years from now but with significant changes.

I don't see the point in archiving an older cache and then placing one nearby to get people out there again. To me, that just starts to be about the numbers and not about the area, since a lot of those people that come to log it will have been there the last time they came to the archived cache.

I like the caches I place, whether they get visited every week, or only once or twice a year. I get a special pleasure out of all of them, for different reasons. They were good enough when I placed them, and they'll be good enough forever I hope, unless something happens in the future to make me archive them. Each time I archive a cache it's like a little part of me dies. I don't like that feeling. I avoid it. :lol:

My oldest caches are 5 years old. Still going strong. :anitongue:

I'm the same way. I have some older caches witha lot of history. My first cache only gets visited maybe once a year but it's in a great spot and I would never archive it. :lol:

I have hidden 4 caches and only archived one due to active logging in the area. Personally I feel that a cache should be as permanent as possible, and should only be archived if there is a specific reason to do so.

I would think active logging of a cache would cause it not to be archived (oh, you mean a different kind of logging..... :anitongue:)

By the way, having just become a premium member, I'm wondering is there a PQ that would list caches that haven't been found in x amount of months? I sometimes get a kick of trying to go for caches that haven't been logged in awhile and "breaking the spell" on them as I put it in my log.

The degree of out-of-town logs once the locals get to it really depends on where the cache is. If it's in a very touristy area, it will get many frequent such logs. Caches in say Manhattan or near noted tourist area almost never lack for logs.....

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa
If you use GSAK to slice, dice, and filter the data in your PQs, you can see the date of the last log and filter the data by that date. :anitongue:
What's the benefit of doing that?

I'm wondering is there a PQ that would list caches that haven't been found in x amount of months? I sometimes get a kick of trying to go for caches that haven't been logged in awhile and "breaking the spell" on them as I put it in my log.

Does anyone know how long a cache should "live"? I have a few caches, as well as part interest in some of thecheekygirl caches, and we tend to find that, for straight caches, once 35-50 people have been, that interest tails off. This can mean that a cache may not get visited for, say, 2 months and, as owners, we feel a responsibility to go and check that it is still there.

I think a cache can "live" as long as the owner is still interested in maintaining it. As far as checking after 2 months without a find, I don't see why unless the owner has a reason to believe it's gone.

How do other cachers view the "life expectancy" of a cache? Maybe once it reaches the point that it gets no visitors it should be archived and a fresh, differently named, cache located nearby? Any views please?

I don't see the point of "churning" a cache location just so people can visit again. Except for some very easy to reach caches, the find rate for a cache nearly always declines after the first few months. But there are always new people starting the sport and travelers passing through the area. If the cache is a good one, why not keep it available for those people?

Don't forget, new people are coming into the hobby all the time.

I'm glad that when I started out I was able to go find all the caches that had been around for a while. Now I enjoy reading about new cachers enjoying the same ones. I would rather have the history and connection with other cachers, than have higher numbers finding new caches in old places.

I think it is very cool when a cache continues for years and has lots of history. We found one Saturday that has been out for more than six years. :rolleyes:

Looking through the logbooks from older caches, like this one, is really interesting. :lol:

I think it would be an fun goal to search for the longest-lived caches in the local area.

I believe caches should last as long as the owner wants them to. If owners are no longer enjoying the hide the way that it is then it is time for the cache to be changed. If the cache is not being found as often as you would like for it to or you would like to place a new cache for the local cachers to find, then it is time for you to do that. If you have a new creative idea for a cache and want it in the location of one of your caches then archive the cache and place the new one.

I enjoy geocaching as much for the finding as I do for the hiding. So far I have not archived a cache just to place a new one but I do have plans to do so. The stump that my Bird Trail cache was hidden under is just about gone so there is a pile of sticks there now. I have had plans for about a year to make the hide a puzzle where the finder gets to the first stage and has a riddle to use to find the final location. I have a bit of building to do to get it ready and I have been waiting for the parks dept. to finish the greenway trail and hopefully clear the downed trees on the Bird trial before I set this up.

I do believe that if the cache is archived to place a new cache the new cache needs to to be a different enough experience to warrant the new cache listing. I do not believe a new cache should be hidden at the same coordinates, in the same way and just given a new name, I would not enjoy finding that. However, if you turn a traditional into a multi or a puzzle or move the final significantly enough that it is a different experience then that would be fine and I would even appreciate that in my local area. There are times that I do not want to drive 30 miles to find several caches and would like to see new cache in the area. I have thought lately about setting up several new caches to be released on the same day so there is several hours of caching for locals to do in my town. I have two caches that were archived due to construction and a homeless camp so it may be time to resurrect them, revamp my Bird trail cache and place a couple new ones.

I have had several occasions where a cache was muggled or stolen. When muggled I replace once then if it disappears again then I find a new hiding location and create a new cache or type of cache i.e. Traditional to Multi, multi to traditional, traditional to puzzle. I have also been dealing with a cache thief for years in southern IL So when a cache is stolen I move the cache to a new location and 50% of the time it is a new enough location that I make it a new cache. I am not sure how much space you have to play with, in cache dense areas this could be a problem but I move the cache 500 feet or so.

So far I have had 4 hides at Buffalo Rock, 2 at Sand Cave, 3 at Crow Knob, Two at the Arch, Camel of the God became Gods Garden (a new one is still to come), "Geocaching Rocks" became "This Place Rocks"

I think it is very cool when a cache continues for years and has lots of history. We found one Saturday that has been out for more than six years. :rolleyes:

Looking through the logbooks from older caches, like this one, is really interesting. :lol:

I think it would be an fun goal to search for the longest-lived caches in the local area.

I like the history of some caches as well and I have adopted Geocache by Imperitus . when it was the 9th oldest active cache in KY and I hope to keep it active for as long as it can. My Bird Trail cache is the 4th oldest active cache in McCracken County but I don't feel it needs to continue as is any longer. However, there are two virtuals in Paducah that I would do anything to keep them active for as long as possible for the nostalgia of them but not all caches need to live forever.

GEO.JOE

Hey I found both of those and I totally agree! Historical caches are very cool! I should run a PQ of all the caches in our area that were placed over 4 years ago and see how many are left! :)

I'm still fairly new and have not placed any caches yet. There are caches in my area that have not been visited in a while, mostly because they are on the mountain or rough terrain, etc. and I suppose (alhtough I don't really know) that the local cachers that are interested in those caches have already been there. Some of these caches are ones that I am looking forward to because of their location, views of the valley, hike to the peak etc. and I would be bummed if they got archived just because I was too slow getting my lazy self up there. I think I would leave a cache alone unless there's some kind of problem with the location and perhaps just start a new one.

Looking through the logbooks from older caches, like this one, is really interesting. :)

Hey I found both of those and I totally agree! Historical caches are very cool! I should run a PQ of all the caches in our area that were placed over 4 years ago and see how many are left! :)

:lol: I'd be interested in that list Pat!! R/ John :(

I see no reason to archive any cache that remains problem free. As a finder I love have old caches still around to find, reading the logs of the past finders and knowing they had few finds themselves when they found it.

As a hider I hope my caches live longer than me, and are adopted by someone who also respects longevity when I'm gone. Who knows? Someday MY caches may be on the list of worlds oldest caches, but only if I don't archive them. :rolleyes:

I'm jealous! Finds every two months? I'd be ecstatic! Got seven finds this year on one of my more popular ones. Twenty-four finds in three years on my first cache. None since February.

Would I consider archiving it just because it hasn't been found since February? Never!!! It's a good cache in a great location!

I'm jealous! Finds every two months? I'd be ecstatic! Got seven finds this year on one of my more popular ones. Twenty-four finds in three years on my first cache. None since February.

Would I consider archiving it just because it hasn't been found since February? Never!!! It's a good cache in a great location!

OK, so you don't get many visits, but if several months pass, do you feel obliged to go check they are still there? Maybe we get more muggles/washes away/squirrells moving them here in the UK!

We recently archived our NASA 1, NASA 2 and NASA 3 caches as parts 1 and 3 had been muggled (possibly cleared away as part of local park clean-ups?) and took 2 out as this fitted in well with the other parts, but none had been visited for a while and we were disappointed for a would-be finder to have to log 3 DNFs (they actually had the wrong spot for NASA 2 and it was still there) but maybe we should have stopped by and checked on them and logged a note to that effect on the cache?

Thanks, Butttercup!

Hey Buttercup,

Thanks for the interesting topic.

As others have already said, this boils down to a personal preference and there is no steadfast rule. For me, it's about my own maintenance capacity and my own self imposed cache hiding standards. I've determined that the number of caches comfortable for me to maintain is around 25. Now when I hide a new one, I go to the bottom of my list and cut one. This often stirs up some jeers from the local "slow to find" crowd but they grow silent when I ask if they want to adopt the hide. <_<

I also have some hides on some amazing real estate in Hawaii and I am not at all opposed to going back and reworking a hide in the same location if I get an idea that could make the cache more interesting and fun. The local cachers are slowly becoming aware that I do this unannounced and it seems to increase people returning to the same cache too. Of course, I live on an island with limited space and that affects how I approach things too.

OK, so you don't get many visits, but if several months pass, do you feel obliged to go check they are still there? Maybe we get more muggles/washes away/squirrells moving them here in the UK!

DNFs are a much better indicator than no activity.

DNFs are a much better indicator than no activity.

I agree.

I have a cache that sometimes goes a year between finds. While I try to visit it a couple times a year, I don't get excited about a maintenance check unless it gets a DNF. Even then I don't get excited until after I email the DNFer to verify that he/she actually made it to ground zero.

Some of my caches get infrequent visits and I wouldn't think of making a trip to check on them, unless I got a DNF. Some are in places where I don't have to worry about muggles. Currently, we are experiencing a drought, so they won't wash away, and I haven't seen any squirrels around here capable of messing with an ammo can . . . <_<