Hiding cache near a canal?

Dizzley

Hi from a noob! I'm eager to start placing a cache. As I live by a rural canal that I regularly walk, I'd like to start by hiding a film canister size cache along my route. I can see it becoming a short series.

In England, the canals are owned/managed by British Waterways. What suggestions can you give for successful caching?

I can think of the following:

• Consider using the canal as simply a route and turn just off at interesting points to place cache.
  • Micro caches will be easiest to hide and care for at busier points.
  • Can we place a cache actually on the towpath fencing etc?
  • Think safety.

Advice? Thoughts?

I'll be perfectly honest and say that I think it'd be better to find a few more caches before you set one. There are no hard and fast rules about this but my opinion is that you'd have more experience and even be able to answer some of your own questions if you'd found more caches.

Regarding your specific questions, there doesn't seem to be a blanket agreement with British Waterways on the GAGB database, so it might be worth contacting other cachers who've set canalside caches and see what they did.

You should be able to get away with a larger cache box by a canal or just off it, though a micro will have less chance of being found by accident.

HTH.

Agree with Scanker, do a few more to get the feel for it. We've done the thick end of 400 but only placed one, witha new one or two to come soon - try and do something a bit out of the ordinary, if you get it right your logs will reflect the satisfaction of others.

Also, have a good look at this forum for others views on placing caches, even some of the old timers still ask questions and get the opinion of others - have a look here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=169414 on cachers views on micros, good and bad.

Finally we've done a few caches on canals, hide them well, there are usually lots of muggles around and if it is a series do you want to link them up, if so a certain amount of planning may be involved.

Good luck, H&L.

Hi from a noob! I'm eager to start placing a cache. As I live by a rural canal that I regularly walk, I'd like to start by hiding a film canister size cache along my route. I can see it becoming a short series.

I don't want to spoil your party but does it HAVE to be a 35mm film can up some canal.... ?

First off, 35mm film cans are NOT weather proof so be prepared to change the soggy wet mess that the log sheet will become fairly frequently.

Secondly, there are so many caches place along seemingly identical stretches of nondescript tow path and around identical locks that they really are BORING and only worth visiting to get your numbers up. As PUP says, you'll not get much satisfaction from reading the logs.

Much better to look for somewhere that is perhaps a little 'off the beaten track'. Somewhere that people will appreciate being taken. Give them a box to find.... something big enough to hold a T/B or two and a few small goodies for the kids. You'll get much better feedback and greater feeling of satisfaction.

Oh yes.... I hate micros!!! :anitongue:

Secondly, there are so many caches place along seemingly identical stretches of nondescript tow path and around identical locks that they really are BORING and only worth visiting to get your numbers up.

Oh yes.... I hate micros!!! :D

SHAME ON YOU John :huh::huh::D

No stretch of canal towpath can be boring and identical and for sure no two locks are anywhere identical and some of the most devious and clever hides I have found have been canal side micros..................................................

Oh yes and I am just as biased as you :anitongue::huh::huh::D:D:D:D:lol:

dodgydaved (and I'd better log off before t'other short, fat guy with beard and specs gets back from "The Albert" ;););):D:lol::huh:

Whether you hide a trail of 3 or 20, be prepared for identical logs - "3 of 15 on a muggle-filled Sunday, TFTC". Whap a nice goodie filled box a third of a mile up a public footpath and you'll probably get a much more satisfying response. :anitongue:

With you all the way on this one PuP...

Interesting, quality caches lead to interesting quality logs.

Start off with hiding one or two decent sized loc'n'loc or similar boxes.

A hide with a clever twist is always my favourite but first things first.

Always consider maintenence issues as well.

Micros in my opinion should only be used as parts of a multi or in urban locations where anything bigger would be impossible. They should not be used just because they are a "cheap option".

Dont forget to put a label on it identifying it for what it is.

Minimum details should includee its waypoint code and the GAGB answerphone number. Don't forget to include a stash note oh and yes....a pencil.

All these things seem to have gone by the board of late for some reason.

Good Luck.

Micros in my opinion should only be used as parts of a multi or in urban locations where anything bigger would be impossible. They should not be used just because they are a "cheap option".

Totally agree with that. Nothing worse than finding a micro in a wood......what's the point?

There's a micro on the end of Southend pier....fine.......wouldn't expect anything else. I'm trying to find a place for a small cache on Canvey, but not may hidding places.............no trees, logs, woods, just bushes............plenty of places for a micro but hell will freeze over first before I do that.

While we're on the subject of hiding places.........would behind the bar of a local pub be OK?

TLHM

Oh dear. You said the magic words "micro" and "film canister". That will get people worked up into a frightful tizzy. You might want to ask for opinions about virtuals while you're at it :anitongue:

On the rather more important (IMHO) subject of obtaining correct permission for placing a cache ....

Here are a couple of threads dealing specifically with the issue of getting permission to place caches on British Waterways property.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=159588

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=100445

You may also want to visit the GAGB forums and website as they are good on permission-related stuff.

http://www.gagb.org.uk

Good luck!

Oh dear. You said the magic words "micro" and "film canister". That will get people worked up into a frightful tizzy. You might want to ask for opinions about virtuals while you're at it :lol:

Good luck!

Well I never inspected the Spanish Inquisition (Whoosh!) - Of course I did! :lol:

I'm glad to see a good and varied response! I like a bit of controversy. Notice I said film-canister size, not film canister. I am just glad you all expressed an opinion - better than sitting there like lemons! :huh:

While the canal is a good linear trail, I'm not against dragging cachers up paths. This will especially help get you away from muggles in our area. I'd still like to consider a multi-cache based on an hour's canal walk loop. While I've not been an active cacher I've been lurking a couple of years... but I don't see why I couldn't hide my first cache before the end of the summer (or was that in May?).

I also joined GAGB so may well see you in the forums.

(and I'd better log off before t'other short, fat guy with beard and specs gets back from "The Albert"

Funnily enough I'm a short, fat guy with a beard and NO specs whose nearest pub is called "The Albert" :anitongue:

Pete/Dizzley

While we're on the subject of hiding places.........would behind the bar of a local pub be OK?

Ermm No sorry, it would fail the guidelines for being a commercial solicitation :anitongue: for 2 reasons.

It's located within a commercial premises

It involves interaction with staff in a commercial premises

We have a cache on a canal that gets a full 5* terrain so it is possible to get inventive on canals.

Coppernoggins have two superb canalside multi's that would warrant a close inspection for different ways of setting these up.

Have a look through this thread to see how creative the stages of a multi can be.

As for micros i agree with pharisee

I loved some of the caches in that thread. I'm painting a 2m length of gas main in camo right now... :anitongue:

I'm right on the edge of the Peak District and have a choice of urban, canal (flat) or hills and dales. The canal walk and offshoots appeal to me most.

I might get inventive but I can see it being camo rather than outrageous! I DO have a sense of humour though so a twist WILL be in order.

Dizzley

Whatever you do, DON'T rush off and place one without getting a bit more experience first. I think the official guidelines is 10 or so, my personal thoughts are you need to do at least 20, just to get a feel of what is a good cache and what is a complete waste of time and effort. You will find some that have been placed just as much as a quickie for the owner as for the cache count hunter.

A good cache should take you somewhere nice and or interesting that you wouldn't have seen otherwise. So a quick cache on a smelly bit of rubbish strewn canal is not recommended, whilst a pleasant visit to a hidden beauty spot (perhaps a disused canal wharf with some history) is recommended.

Then read up all you can on the web sites, including the GAGB one.

After that, please don't put a micro out in open country. Micros are fine in urban areas (city canal perhaps) but we need decent size containers in the countryside.

best of luck with caching and welcome too.

:rolleyes:

Oh yes.... I hate micros!!! :lol:

Don't pay too much attention to Pharisee.... He's an old grump :rolleyes:

However... I'm not too good at crossing moving water so a cache placed in the middle of a wood would be preferable... Thank you :)

yes it is preferable to have larger containers when possible but it is unfair to browbeat a newbie into not placing any small caches.

the experience bit is also a red herring. to be honest i know of some people that have found in the hundreds who place some rubbish caches and some who have found very few that have placed some real gems.

you know whether the location is good or not.

you know whether the container is a well built one and is appropriate.

so the only real problem is getting permission. all land is owned so chat to the local cachers and the rights of way officer at the council to find out who you need to ask.

good luck. :rolleyes:

yes it is preferable to have larger containers when possible but it is unfair to browbeat a newbie into not placing any small caches.

so the only real problem is getting permission. all land is owned so chat to the local cachers and the rights of way officer at the council to find out who you need to ask.

good luck. :(

Thanks nobby - I won't be browbeaten. I have good reasons to place caches by MY canal.

1. It's not scruffy and rubbish strewn - it's rural and beautiful.
  2. It's is in spitting distance from my house and I walk it regularly so it will get better maintenance.
  3. I know a lot of the landowners of adjoining land.
  4. I want to encourage more recreational use of this canal and others. Especially because...
  5. The government have announced swingeing cuts on waterways maintenance so all the good restorations done in the 70s and 80s will rot away.
  6. I love my canal - (but not in a physical way :laughing: ) !

Fight the waterways cuts!

Yes I'm on the edge of the Peak but that deserves even more thought when placing. And I will first do some significant hunting out there before I start hiding caches.

About local rights of way and Cheshire CC... Pieman and other local cachers have already been very helpful and gracious.

[*]The government have announced swingeing cuts on waterways maintenance so all the good restorations done in the 70s and 80s will rot away.

My understanding on this is this was (from one of our cache listings)

The canal which connected Shrewsbury to the Liverpool to Birmingham canal was officially abandoned in the 1940’s.

A plan to restore the canal was started in the 1960’s however restrictions at the time on restoration projects in general held back the plan.

When these restrictions started to lift in the 1970’s enough of the old canal had been systematically destroyed by local landowners to prevent any immediate re-opening.

This section of the old canal comprising several locks and an old canal basin has been beautifully restored and a more ambitious countrywide restoration plan for these old canals is now being put in place.

If you are in the know id certainly like to hear more the aqueduct over the M6 toll intrigues me as to whether or not we are losing old canals or getting them back ?

[Thanks nobby - I won't be browbeaten. I have good reasons to place caches by MY canal.

Well Dizzley, you have a tougher brow than many - it's certainly taken quite a beating in this thread.

Just a couple of points - there is no quota for how many caches you must have found before before placing - just as there is no statutory quota requiring you to place a cache for every X found. There are however hundreds and hundreds of unwritten rules, all of which you are free to ignore - having given it a bit of thought first, of course.

Some people on this forum get their knickers in a bit of a twist over micros and things like double logging, while ignoring the fact that so many caches seem to be placed without any permission being sought. That's fair enough we all have our own priorities.

From previous contributions to these forums I have noticed that Pieman has done a fair research regarding permissions on the canals so I would imagine is an excellent contact (although I don't know Pieman other than reading this forum).

You have an excellent head start in knowing local landowners, and it would seem you care about and have a feel for your proposed location, so best of luck. Nil illegitema carborundum and all that.

Having permission to place a cache can be a difficult topic. We all know what the rules are, but in reality permission can be hardest thing to follow through. If it is on a managed area, such as BW, Woodland Trust, NT, FC or even the local park, it is fairly easy to know who to ask (not always as easy to obtain).

The problem lies with footpaths through fields and woods etc. unless you are really lucky or extremely knowledgable, then finding out who the owner is is darn near impossible. We would only have a fraction of the caches we have in this country if every land owner had been approached and granted permission.

And I'm glad Dizzley's canal is a nice one. :(

[*]The government have announced swingeing cuts on waterways maintenance so all the good restorations done in the 70s and 80s will rot away.

If you are in the know id certainly like to hear more the aqueduct over the M6 toll intrigues me as to whether or not we are losing old canals or getting them back ?

The Aqueduct over the M6 Toll was installed at the time the Toll was built with money raised by the Lichfield and Hatherton canal society with a lot of help from David Suchet (Poirot).

The aqueduct is to carry, eventually, restored Lichfield canal, which runs from the coventry canal near the A38 outside Lichfield to the Birmingham Canal Navigations, BCN, Near to Chasewater reservoir just off the A6 at Cannock, As you drive along the Toll southbound you can see the canal contouring round the hillside just after the aqueduct.

The oppurtunity arose to build the aqueduct during the construction of the Toll at a much cheaper price than the cost of building a crossing point whilst the motorway was open.

Iain the bargee

Dizzley, check out my multis at marple top lock and chadkirk on the lower Peak forest canal as well (shameless cache promotion :( )

Iain the bargee

Dizzley, check out my multis at marple top lock and chadkirk on the lower Peak forest canal as well (shameless cache promotion :( )

Thanks for the promotional communiction! :laughing: I'm looking forward to doing Marple Top Lock. It gets a v. good reception from cachers.

Thanks for the canal-related links.