eTrex Summit - how to project <0.1km ?

Hi,

I have an quite an old eTrex summit, running version 2.4. There is newer firmware available for eTrex summit, but not this revision of the hardware, and perhaps the issue I'm asking about has been fixed in later firmware but anyway...

When I project a waypoint, and enter the distance to project, the eTrex displays:

EDIT
NUMBER

000.0km

USE
ENTER BUTTON
TO EDIT,
  UP/DOWN
 BUTTONS TO
 SELECT

I can set any of those zeroes to another number, but I can't figure out how to move the decimal point, so if I want to project a waypoint 713m away, I have to enter:

000.7km

... then I have to estimate the extra 13m by hand. Or I have to enter 0.7 and 0.8, and then imagine a line between them on the map.

So: anyone else with an eTrex summit knows how to do this?

Thanks,

Martin.

When I had the B*W series, I would **REVERSE** project a waypoint that was less than .1 miles.

I'll explain how.

Say you want to project a waypoint 180 degrees at 400 feet. (that's south)

1) walk toward the south using your GPS compass as a guide... the arrow of the GPS will actually point NORTH toward your original waypoint. When it says your original waypoint is 400 feet NORTH... you just went 400 feet south... which is what you intended to do.

Complicated? Maybe, but that's how I did it.

Hi,

Doh!

Thanks, Blake, that's exactly what I was looking for!

I guess a hybrid approach would work the best.

Say I wanted to head 842m on a bearing of 137 degrees from a waypoint.

Initially I can project a waypoint 0.8km from the waypoint on bearing 137 degrees.

I will then navigate to that 2nd waypoint.

Now I will navigate to the original waypoint, but walk away from it on the reciprocal heading (If known heading is 0 -180, add 200 and subtract 20. If known heading is 181 - 360, subtract 200 and add 20).

So in the case of the above, when I reach the 2nd waypoint and select to navigate to the first waypoint, it should show the 1st waypoint at 800m on a bearing of 317 degrees. I just need to walk an additional 42m away from the 2nd waypoint, keeping the heading to the 1st waypoint at 317 degrees.

I'll try this later in the week :anitongue:

Thanks,

Martin.

just project the waypoint as close as I can and then from there, 'navigate' to the original waypoint, and position myself such that the heading matched the reciprocal heading.

Ok, that's a soluton... but... why did they write the software (on the GPSr) to be this way. They didn't think that someone would want to track to 100 feet? I mean jesh! This is the most basic of things, yet it's this "hard" to fix with the technology that we have?