anywhere i can get free waypoint downloads online?

drew82

There are some sites that list trailheads, and many parks and businesses list their coordinates online now.

I use the mapping on my GPS to locate these things, though. I can scan through a list of the nearest businesses or points of interest as I travel. My husband and I use it to find our way to hotels and scope out our restaurant choices when we are traveling.

My brother loved that feature so much on a trip we took together that he bought a GPS even though he doesn't geocache. He has one gas station he likes (for the coffee and the gas) and he'd ask me to "Use that thingy to find the next station" and I could tell him how far it was to the next station of his choice and which exit to take to get there.

I think the basic maps that come with some units have some points of interest in them, if I recall correctly.

Looking for internet sites with free point of interest waypoint downloads... for example coords for all shell stations in an area or parks...

Have you tried a Google search with the key words "free point of interest?" I came up with some using the key words "free gpx" also. You can also try addig the name of the city or state to make the search results more direct to the area you are looking for.

Edited by JDubPooch

There are some sites that list trailheads, and many parks and businesses list their coordinates online now.

I use the mapping on my GPS to locate these things, though. I can scan through a list of the nearest businesses or points of interest as I travel. My husband and I use it to find our way to hotels and scope out our restaurant choices when we are traveling.

My brother loved that feature so much on a trip we took together that he bought a GPS even though he doesn't geocache. He has one gas station he likes (for the coffee and the gas) and he'd ask me to "Use that thingy to find the next station" and I could tell him how far it was to the next station of his choice and which exit to take to get there.

I think the basic maps that come with some units have some points of interest in them, if I recall correctly.

Here's one site you might want to look at

http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfolinks.htm