Blood Diamond Coords

J'nK

Hey I just watched Blood Diamond for the 1st time and in the movie Leo gives Coords for a village in it. He said:

0905424 N

327293050 E

I couldn't get the coords right in google earth, so I'm not sure if it exists or not.

Just thought I would let everyone know, thought it was interesting.

First, they might just be made up by the script writer and mean diddly. If they do mean something, they appear to be in a local coordinate system (state plane coordinates here in the USA).

Each state in the US has it's own "flat plane" coordinate system based on a variety of geo-projections. North, south, east, and west distances are measured from the central axes of these projections, so the same coordinates may exist in all 50 states (and twice in Alaska).

They look like UTM coordinates, but the easting value is far too large. It should be seven digits. This nine-digit value is like a longitude of 2500 degrees, it would wrap around the equator several times. It looks like you got this value from the subtitles; does it match the voice in the soundtrack?

Also, you need a UTM grid number to establish the easting point's origin. Sierra Leon is in UTM grids 28N and 29N.

The northing value is the number of meters north of the equator. 905424 is a correct value for Sierra Leone.

But Selective Availability was still turned on in 1999 so only the US military were using GPS receivers, and they use latitude/longitude not UTM.

Hey I just watched Blood Diamond for the 1st time and in the movie Leo gives Coords for a village in it. He said:

0905424 N

327293050 E

I couldn't get the coords right in google earth, so I'm not sure if it exists or not.

I did a search and came up with this. http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:fMIk4R...;cd=3&gl=us

[i did a search and came up with this. http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:fMIk4R...;cd=3&gl=us

A bit off topic, but I really enjoy reading movie mistakes. I couldn't help but LOL at this one from this link:

"Factual errors: Despite the location filming in Africa, several North American birdsongs can be recognized in the soundtrack, including the Downy Woodpecker, Black-throated Green Warbler and Eastern Wood Pewee."

Holy cow! I can't imagine someone noticing bird songs! Wonder if the person is a cacher? :blink:

Edited by GrateBear

0905424 N

327293050 E

I did a search and came up with this. http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:fMIk4R...;cd=3&gl=us

This one is on that page as well:

Anachronisms: The GPS unit that Archer has in his hand while calling for the air strike is from the Garmin GPSMAP 60 series, which was first introduced in mid-2004.

It's funny how much movies make mistakes eh?! Using a Garmin that didn't come out till 2004 when the movie takes place in '99. You think with all the $ the studios drop on these movies that they would have someone to get the facts straight.

They don't make mistakes. They are in the business of lies and deception.

My favorite is their abuse of history. In the movie Pear Harbor they had pilots that fought in the Battle of Britain, the attack on Pearl Harbor, and then were the heros in the Doolittle raid on Japan. Now those guys were good.

Remember lies and deception.

:blink:

They don't make mistakes. They are in the business of lies and deception.

Huh? <_< I think it only qualifies as "lies and deception" if they invent facts and call them news. Otherwise, it's entertainment. Entertainment doesn't have to be true. (See also: Fiction, Artistic License, Interpretation)

Edited by Seth!

0905424 N

327293050 E

If I'm watching a movie where they give coordinates I usually write them down and check them out. Of the ones I've check out, none of them have been where they were supposed to be.

I remember one movie where they gave the pilot of a damaged plane the coordinates of the dry Los Angles river to land in, and the coordinates they gave were 20 or 30 miles out in the Pacific Ocean

Does anyone recall the classic scene from “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” where Richard Dreyfuss sculpts the Devils Tower out of mashed potatoes?

The following extract about the film from Wikipedia might amuse geocachers:

“The coordinates for Devils Tower in Wyoming as given in the movie are incorrect. Devils Tower National Monument is located at 44°35′26″N, 104°42′56″W, while the coordinates in the film, 40°36′10″N, 104°44′30″W, point to a small farm outside of Ault, Colorado, a discrepancy of almost 300 miles.” :laughing:

Just as well they weren’t placing a cache! :o

A bit off topic, but I really enjoy reading movie mistakes. I couldn't help but LOL at this one from this link:

"Factual errors: Despite the location filming in Africa, several North American birdsongs can be recognized in the soundtrack, including the Downy Woodpecker, Black-throated Green Warbler and Eastern Wood Pewee."

Holy cow! I can't imagine someone noticing bird songs! Wonder if the person is a cacher? :laughing:

One of the networks (CBS) got busted for the same thing. They added bird songs to the background of golf tournament broadcasts to make them more appealing. Except the birds that chirped didn't live anywhere near where that week's golf was being played.

TV Golf, Botching the Birdies :wub:

I just watched Blood Diamond tonight ( a couple years after the first post) and keyed the coords into Google Earth. The coords translate to this location: N 37 30.362 W 93 52.968. I entered the coords of 0905424 N 327293050 E directly into Google Earth. Have fun!

Edited by Techwiz

Holy cow! I can't imagine someone noticing bird songs! Wonder if the person is a cacher? :)

One of the networks (CBS) got busted for the same thing. They added bird songs to the background of golf tournament broadcasts to make them more appealing. Except the birds that chirped didn't live anywhere near where that week's golf was being played.

TV Golf, Botching the Birdies B)

I don't know how many movies/tv shows I've seen which include what sounds like the same recording of a hawk screeching, including one that takes place on another planet.

If I'm watching a movie where they give coordinates I usually write them down and check them out. Of the ones I've check out, none of them have been where they were supposed to be.

In a recent epsidoe of Chuck (Chuck vs. The Colonel) the coords given for the Fulcrum secret base gets you to Barstow (right city) but not to a Drive-in theater.

Huh? :D I think it only qualifies as "lies and deception" if they invent facts and call them news.

Whoo Hoo!! I was wondering how long it would take for uberliberal Left Wing political silliness to creep into this thread. :(

This thread (and the "uberliberal Left Wing political" post) is almost 2 years old. You did realize that, right? B)

Huh? :D I think it only qualifies as "lies and deception" if they invent facts and call them news.

Whoo Hoo!! I was wondering how long it would take for uberliberal Left Wing political silliness to creep into this thread. :P

Hey! Sorry, but I just have to post a handwringing response to your statement!

There... feel better now? :rolleyes: