GPSMap60CSx Version 3.5

On the Garmin web site. Find it here. Number 21 is interesting - what makes the 76x different than the other models?

Change History

Version 3.30 to 3.50:

1. Change number of lines of text in the address field on map feature review page from 4 to 6.

2. Improve robustness when recovering from a partial map load.

3. Limit number of custom POI bitmaps to 64 to ensure enough memory resources. Bitmaps beyond 64 will show the default custom POI symbol.

4. Added better compatibility with Mac computers in USB mass storage mode.

5. Improved pedestrian route calculation for shortest distance method.

6. Added ability to recalculate a direct goto route.

7. Fix issue where MPC maps would use excess file handles and potentially cause a shutdown.

8. Address issue where nearest points search would skip some points.

9. Changed datum used in the the SWEREF 99TM grid to GRS80.

10. Changed datum used in the the Estonian grid to GRS80.

11. Fix potential shutdown when using TOPO West 1999.

12. Fix potential shutdown on track setup for data card when track log files have long file names.

13. Corrected French translation for "Log track points".

14. Improved promptness of the turn review popup.

15. Improve track log recording for sensor products to continue recording sensor data even when GPS doesn’t have a fix.

16. Fix potential shutdown when propagating in a cul-de-sac across a map boundary.

17. Added more time zones.

18. Fix potential shutdown when clearing recent find list when custom POI with custom bitmaps are in the list.

19. Add A905/D900 unlock code communication protocol.

20. Make route recalculation on MPC maps behave like City Navigator maps.

21. Remove lithium ion as a battery choice. For 76x add lithium battery choice. Lithium ion batteries have a voltage that is too high and might damage the unit.

I believe the 4->6 line text increase pertains to points of interest. Press "Find" and a category such as "Food". Select one of the choices from the list. You should see a name, and three lines of text (address and phone).

GeoBobC, Thanks for your suggestion, but that is incorrect. I just looked at a 60C (not the latest "X" version) and based on your suggestion, there are the same number of data fields on the 60C, as there are on the 60Cx running software version 3.50.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by Barrikady

OK I have a problem. I just downloaded the update and tried it on my 60CSx and it said the GPS is not responding and can't be updated. The gps works fine right now and is plugged in to the usb. I even tried it unplugged, there was nothing on the list, plugged it in, and it appeared on the USB update list, so it is obviously detecting it to some degree. Anyone have any suggestions? Could it be due to the fact that I'm running vista (32 bit if that matters)?

FYI in reference to #21 on SW Update 3.5 for 60 and 76 "X-series": From Garmin's FAQ Page

Question: Lithium ion batteries and our GPSMAP "x" series unit

Answer:

Not all lithium ion AA batteries will work with our GPSMAP 60 and 76 "x-series" devices as they have too high of an output voltage. Typical AA batteries have a voltage of 1.5v each. Some lithium ion AA batteries put out 1.65v or higher. Our units will only accept power from batteries that output less than 1.65v.

If using Lithium-ion batteries and the gps will not power on or will shut down quickly after being powered on, the high voltage could be the issue. They will need to be drained a little to be in the operative range in the unit. Use a flashlight or other device that uses AA batteries to drain some power from the batteries.

Last modified on: 06/15/2007

Edited by YBLee

Change History

Version 3.30 to 3.50:

16. Fix potential shutdown when propagating in a cul-de-sac across a map boundary.

Looks like this definitely fixed the map boundary problem. I took my 60CSx out to where I've had problems in the past, and crossed the boundary 4 times without a shutdown (before it would shut down in about 3 of every 4 boundary crossings).

FYI in reference to #21 on SW Update 3.5 for 60 and 76 "X-series": From Garmin's FAQ Page

Question: Lithium ion batteries and our GPSMAP "x" series unit

Answer:

Not all lithium ion AA batteries will work with our GPSMAP 60 and 76 "x-series" devices as they have too high of an output voltage. Typical AA batteries have a voltage of 1.5v each. Some lithium ion AA batteries put out 1.65v or higher. Our units will only accept power from batteries that output less than 1.65v.

If using Lithium-ion batteries and the gps will not power on or will shut down quickly after being powered on, the high voltage could be the issue. They will need to be drained a little to be in the operative range in the unit. Use a flashlight or other device that uses AA batteries to drain some power from the batteries.

Last modified on: 06/15/2007

number 21 is very interesting. Is that saying 60's can be damaged but 76's can't?

I was hoping for something like 22. Added feature to store and display gpx cache data... I guess I can keep on dreaming :blink: lol

I own a GPSMap 76CSx and for winter hiking. I use Energizer E2 lithium batteries without the turnoff problem and without running same in a flashlight first. I think there is a difference between the 60CSx and the 76CSx with regard to the use of lithium batteries. adkgps

I keep hoping they will increase the number of characters I can have in the Description field on my 76CSx. There's all this blank space and I can't have anything in it except a fairly sort bit of info. It looks like it should be able to hold at least twice as many characters..........

Those GPS units need to have Airplane Mode to effect how it sees altitude in a pressurized cabin.

The new Boeing 787 will be pressurized at an higher level than a regular Aluminum airliner, causing these GPS units to think they are at an even lower level of altitude, so there needs to be an Airplane Mode on the GPS

I keep hoping they will increase the number of characters I can have in the Description field on my 76CSx. There's all this blank space and I can't have anything in it except a fairly sort bit of info. It looks like it should be able to hold at least twice as many characters..........

I've read in a German news group that with firmware 3.50 the number of characters in the "Note:" field of waypoints have dropped from 30 th 16 characters. That does not sound too good.

Can anybody please confirm or reject this for the 60CSx?

Those GPS units need to have Airplane Mode to effect how it sees altitude in a pressurized cabin.
How would that be different from setting your altimeter to barometer mode?

[Note that they cannot call it airplane mode. For personal electronics, that has come to mean the mode in which all RF oscillators are turned off. You can play games or use the PDA function in your cell phone, for example, but cannot transmit or receive.]

I've read in a German news group that with firmware 3.50 the number of characters in the "Note:" field of waypoints have dropped from 30 th 16 characters. That does not sound too good.

Can anybody please confirm or reject this for the 60CSx?

I've done the 3.5 update on my 60CSx and the "Note:" fields are still 30 characters.

The 60csx needs to be able to show "gps elevation" and ignore the barometer for the times when you are flying in pressurized cabins (or anytime you would rathers see, on a updated basis, the GPS elevation).

You set your gps to barometer mode you you get the pressure of the cabin, not altitude.

How would that be different from setting your altimeter to barometer mode?

[Note that they cannot call it airplane mode. For personal electronics, that has come to mean the mode in which all RF oscillators are turned off. You can play games or use the PDA function in your cell phone, for example, but cannot transmit or receive.]

Bleh... the one update that I actually want still wasn't made. For waypoints (ie: downloaded cache locations), that the description field be allowed to take more than whatever the max characters are right now. The field is permananly half-empty!

I have to agree with you on this one. What is their reason for limiting this field anyway?

Allowing as many waypoints as your MiniSD card can allow is higher up on my list than showing more information in the Description field. This 1000 waypoint limit is ridiculous.

I'm rather happy about this update, though. Just yesterday I was browsing around the menus and wondering why in the hell Data Card Setup was crashing the unit. I started searching around here and on Garmin's site to see if this is a common error, and lo and behold, this update fixed it!

Allowing as many waypoints as your MiniSD card can allow is higher up on my list than showing more information in the Description field. This 1000 waypoint limit is ridiculous.

Waypoints are not stored on your memory card, they are stored in main system memory. That is why there is a 1000 point limit.

You can store POI's (points of interest) on the memory card and have as many as the card will hold. I know a few folks that load their caches as POI's so that they can have more than 1000 and I think with a POI you can have a longer description field that with a normal waypoint.

Waypoints are not stored on your memory card, they are stored in main system memory. That is why there is a 1000 point limit.

You can store POI's (points of interest) on the memory card and have as many as the card will hold. I know a few folks that load their caches as POI's so that they can have more than 1000 and I think with a POI you can have a longer description field that with a normal waypoint.

I'm aware of this, that's why I want a firmware update to change it and allow waypoint storage on the MiniSD. And yes, storing as POI brings the description from like 30 to 80 characters or something like that. The description size is completely irrelevant when you have a paperless caching solution like CacheMate, however.