Algonquin Caches

J'nK

If you wouldn't mind!! Since new geocaches are not allowed in Provincial parks, could you bring along a cache repair kit and just tidy up any caches that might need it? It would be great to keep the existing caches alive!!

Our family is heading to Pog Lake tomorrow, so I will be prepared for some cache repairing too. May be I'll cross paths with J'nK on the trails!

What kinds of things are typically in the Repair kit? I'm thinking ziplock bags, pencils.... anything else?

I have a few spare log books, in case the current one is soaked beyond repair. If I know there is a problem ahead of time with the container, I try to have a replacement one as well.

Assuming you'll be mobile, there are many new caches placed in recent months to the west side of Algonquin Park - in the Kearney area. (Most are micros!). We have several caches to the south-west gate of the park in the Algonquin Highlands, and of course there are the famous caches of the WGS (Geocaching Capital of Canada) to the south side of the park in Highlands East Township.

Hey Bullfrog, could you post a link to some of your caches around the park. That would be great. Thanks.

Algonquin Park is a very large area. There are many caches on all sides of it. I'd suggest you do a pocket query to which ever side you may be interested in. Center you search on Wilberforce, or Carnarvon, or Kearney, or Huntsville, or Whitney or Barry's Bay, or Mattawa, etc.

The Algonquin Highlands are to the south-west.

TOMTEC (another cacher) is up there this week, he makes one or two trips a year into the park, often getting into the more remote areas. I know he has worked on upgrading a number of the containers to ammo boxes, but believe there are others that he hasn't made it too yet. Though that's a bit more than your typical repair too!!

A lot of these caches are older, and the owners aren't active anymore, so it is great that we can at least keep them going for people to enjoy. I know I hope to visit some of them someday!!

Greywynd

Back from Algonquin. Good trip. Thanks for the help everyone, caches are in good shape. No need for maintence on any of the ones we found.

J'nK,

I followed you on some of the caches in Algonquin. Too bad our paths didn't cross!

I did some maintenance on the Algonquin Lookout South cache--replacing the container and putting in a new log book. Unfortunately, my spare container was smaller so it was a tight squeeze to get the stuff back in. It would be nice to have some ammo cans for those kinds of caches.

It is too bad you missed the Lookout trail. They were opening it periodically, particularly on the weekends. However, Track and Cache (on Track and Tower) was by far my favourite!

SG

Funny how we were all there at the same time you, Blue Eagle and myself. Blue Eagle helped me with a cache near my place the week before we left for Algonquin. We could have easily have crossed paths, I guess it wasn't meant to be. Track and Tower was absolutely crazy. It was the 2nd one we did. Awesome all the same.

Edit: Ammo cans would be great!

Edited by J'nK