UN-REGISTERED GEOCOIN HELP

crpadiem

I picked up a Geocoin yesterday, tried to log it in to track it 4 times but apparently the coin is unregistered. I tried to register it but I do not have the activation code for it. My question is this, as I'm new to geocaching, would it be impolite to drill a hole in the edge of it and attach it to my keychain as a symbol of geocaching? I do not want to do anything improper as I really enjoy geocaching and want to be an active and helpful member. Thank you for your advice and be good.

If you can give a bit more info about the coin, we might be able to help you find the activation code if it has one. If it is unactivated and trackable, you can pretty much do what you want with it, as long as you trade fairly for it. You can still activate, track it and put it onto your keychain later on, to use it as a sort of mileage log for yuour caching activities, and "dip" it into the caches you visit.

Before you make any decisions on what to do with the coin you should:

1) Make sure that you have checked all possible combinations of letters and numbers. Sometimes things like "5" and "S" can make the difference.

2) Try to read the logs to see if somebody mentions dropping it off (to see if you can determine whether it's a traveler or a trade item)

You did the right thing first, though - coming here for help and answers to your questions.

Coin enthusiasts around the world are jumping for joy and wishing that everybody that is unsure follows suit. :blink:

Thanks for the replies, and the nice comments too, I appreciate them. The coin is a NC Foothills Geocachers 2007 the tracking code is: PCxxxx. I checked the log where I found it and I'll just copy and paste what was in that log:

June 4 by The Alethiometrists (1095 found)

Paid a re-visit to "Fishing Spots" tonight, to rescue Einar, the long-stalled TB (the earlier rumor of his disappearance having been corrected). In exchange, I left an unactivated, GC-trackable NC Foothills geocoin. Thanks again for the cache!

Once again thanks for all the help and great advice.

Edited by crpadiem

Thanks for the replies, and the nice comments too, I appreciate them. The coin is a NC Foothills Geocachers 2007 the tracking code is: PC7MFF. I checked the log where I found it and I'll just copy and paste what was in that log:

June 4 by The Alethiometrists (1095 found)

Paid a re-visit to "Fishing Spots" tonight, to rescue Einar, the long-stalled TB (the earlier rumor of his disappearance having been corrected). In exchange, I left an unactivated, GC-trackable NC Foothills geocoin. Thanks again for the cache!

Once again thanks for all the help and great advice.

Its yours! But you should try to trade fairly for it, Its hard to tell if the coin is activated or not when your grabbin it, but always try to Trade even or up eventually for it if you can.

You can definatley shoot Alethiometrists an email thanking them for the coin and maybe ask them for the Act. code retrieval info in the process.

You can even drill that hole and attatch it to your keys too! You could even Activate it, drill it, attatch it, and log it into all the caches you visit!...Its yours!~Congrats :blink:

Thanks guys, I typed NC Foothills Geocoin 2007 activation into yahoo and it came up with another forum that had a link to find the activation code, I clicked it and filled out a little form and they e-mailed me the activation code so I'm going to activate it right now. Once again thanks for being so patient with a rookie. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help be better at this. I have been taking trash bags with me and filling them up on my hunts. :blink:

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help be better at this. I have been taking trash bags with me and filling them up on my hunts. :blink:

oooooh...Thats perfect! :laughing:

Nice one that many should do, I got me a set of folding grabbers just so I dont have to touch all the stuff I dont wanna touch! Many caches to grab and much trash to stash as you will find!