Garmin compass incorrect

I have a 76csx and my friend has a 60cx (I htink it's called). Both of our compasses will point to the cache in the correct direction (IE NW or SW or whatever), but the compass itself isn't positioned correctly. Like it'll be showing Northwest according to the compass is actually Southeast. You have to recalibrate the compass each time you fire up the GPS to make it not do this. Is this a problem across the board with these GPS models or do we have our settings incorrect somewhere? My crappy yellow Etrexx doesn't have this issue. It's weird that the crappiest GPS Garmin makes is more reliable than the most expensive.

Edited by AlmondEyes

Your "crappy" yellow etrex is a fine unit; not crappy at all, just primitive. You have just gotten used to the luxury of your 76CSx.

You can toggle the electronic compass in your 76CSx unit off/on by holding down the Page button for 2 seconds (the 60Cx does not have an electronic compass, so it should be the same as your yellow etrex; if your friend does have an electronic compass that requires calibration, then it is probably a 60CSx). Then you get the simulated compass that uses the GPS and movement to determine where north might be. Note that the electronic compass is really only working when you are standing still or moving very slowly. Your yellow etrex gets confused when you do that.

The manual is clear that when you replace the batteries, that the unit needs to be recalibrated. That's a limitation of the technology. Lots of folks can't cope with this limitation and just keep the electronic compass off all the time. I did that for a while, but with a little practice I found that it really is more useful for me to have it on and just watch its behavior for signs of needing to be recalibrated.