Your Gear

PapaSmurff

So besides the basics like GPSr, pens, and a notebook....what do you carry into the field?

Just curious as to what other peole carry in their kit.

Camera, PDA, Reading glasses, mirror, tweezers, small swag items, 2 dollar bills and gold dollar coins for trading. compass, flashlight. and if I have any at the time TBs and Geocoins.

Edited by lacomo

I haven't emptied my bag in quite a while but I'll make a guess at what's in it. (I'm at work so I can't actually check at the moment.)

Leatherman

Hemostats

Flashlight

Headlight

Batteries

Toilet Paper

Granola Bar

Insect Repellant

First Aid Kit

Swag

Micro Caches

Ziplock Bags

Pens

PDA

Spiral Notebook (to log my caches in and to make notes about the caches)

I'm sure there are probably other things but I can't think of them now.

Edited by Thrak

Depends how far you're hiking. Normally, for anything under 2 miles or so, just my GPS and a pen. Add weather protection accordingly. Maybe binos if the area is going to be scenic. Maybe a pint of water if a desert hike; a an extra light if hiking at night ....

what do you carry into the field

My favorite "gear" to carry is my dog. :laughing: We both have a blast "on the trail". Unfortunately he has been very sick for several weeks and I can't even bring myself to go for a walk in a park...doesn't feel right without him. :blink:

Although I haven't gotten to use this yet (GPSr broken), I just recently purchased a mirror with a telescoping handle that I can use to look up under things [don't even go there!] without bending my head upside down, putting my _ _ _ up in the air and falling over. I think its going to be quite useful.

Also I try to take frozen water, bug wipes and always my CAMERA.

Edited by PlantAKiss
what do you carry into the field

My favorite "gear" to carry is my dog. :laughing: We both have a blast "on the trail". Unfortunately he has been very sick for several weeks and I can't even bring myself to go for a walk in a park...doesn't feel right without him. :blink:

Although I haven't gotten to use this yet (GPSr broken), I just recently purchased a mirror with a telescoping handle that I can use to look up under things [don't even go there!] without bending my head upside down, putting my _ _ _ up in the air and falling over. I think its going to be quite useful.

Also I try to take frozen water, bug wipes and always my CAMERA.

Dear Lord..I know I couldnt be the only one...My freinds make fun of me when we go on our geocaching trips cuz I have a huge bag full of stuff and they have nothing...Now I feel better knowing it's not just me.

Edited by lalynya

My Mountainsmith Lumbar pack is jammed full of stuff . . . counting the two bottles of frozen water I start off with, I think it usually weighs almost eight pounds . . . faint.gif

Some of the stuff rarely gets used, and since I emptied the pack today to clean it, I plan on putting back in only what I really need. :blink:

I have a feeling the mirror and the tweezers and the magnifying glass . . . and everything else will end up back in the pack . . .

The other absolute essential is a walking stick, or two . . . :laughing: Oh, and a hat. I always wear a hat. :blink:

Dear Lord..I know I couldn't be the only one...My freinds make fun of me when we go on our geocaching trips cuz I have a huge bag full of stuff and they have nothing...Now I feel better knowing it's not just me.

You'd be amazed at how useful that bag full of stuff can be! One night I was trying for a FTF and met up with two other cachers at the site. When the other two showed up I moved my bag out of the way and set it off maybe 15 or 20 feet from ground zero so they wouldn't be falling over it. We searched and searched and searched. We were all certain we were in the right spot. Finally we moved farther afield and started searching other places. I finally scored the FTF because................... the cache was almost directly under my bag. :blink:

[Edited for typo]

Edited by Thrak

Now I know I'm still a newb but when I started this sport a month ago, I devised a list of what I would need out in the field and why:

1) GPSr......................So I can make it back to my car after I find the cache

2) Cellphone...............So I can call for help when I lose my GPS.

3) PDA.......................So I have the phone numbers of all my friends in case I need to call (see #2)

4) Pens......................Because the urban micro-cache is taking over the world of geocaching and there's never a mini-pencil when you need one.

5) Swag.....................Need something to play with while I'm waiting for search & rescue workers.

6) Food & water: Water, lots of water, preferably tonic to go with the Vodka. Granola, trailmix, apples, bananas, muffins are good (or doughnuts), Starbucks goes great with the doughnuts, and leftover pizza.

Heck, those Stouffers frozen pizzas are the bomb.

7) Chemical heat (see frozen pizzas above)

8) Ziplock bags (for the leftovers) (see #6)

9) Leatherman.............For cutting open those pesky caches that are sealed too tight.

10) First-aid kit............For bandaging flesh wounds (see #9)

11) Flashlight...............For making scary faces in the dark to scare away fellow cachers after FTF.

12) And finally bug spray.......works great in their eyes when the scary faces don't work and you need a few extra minutes to find the holy grail.

WARNING: The aforementioned list does in no way support or reflect the views of Groundspeak and should in no way be taken seriously or practiced in the real world except by trained geo-caching professionals.

Now I know I'm still a newb but when I started this sport a month ago, I devised a list of what I would need out in the field and why:

1) GPSr......................So I can make it back to my car after I find the cache

3) PDA.......................So I have the phone numbers of all my friends in case I need to call (see #2)

4) Pens......................Because the urban micro-cache is taking over the world of geocaching and there's never a mini-pencil when you need one.

5) Swag.....................Need something to play with while I'm waiting for search & rescue workers.

6) Food & water: Water, lots of water, preferably tonic to go with the Vodka. Granola, trailmix, apples, bananas, muffins are good (or doughnuts), Starbucks goes great with the doughnuts, and leftover pizza.

9) Leatherman.............For cutting open those pesky caches that are sealed too tight.

11) Flashlight...............For making scary faces in the dark to scare away fellow cachers after FTF.

12) And finally bug spray.......works great in their eyes when the scary faces don't work and you need a few extra minutes to find the holy grail.

WARNING: The aforementioned list does in no way support or reflect the views of Groundspeak and should in no way be taken seriously or practiced in the real world except by trained geo-caching professionals.

LOL, This list is great!!! :blink:

VERY funny!!

I am a newbie, too (started caching a month ago) and I bring:

GPS, cellphone, camera, pen, swag to trade, flashlight, GPS manual, first aid kit, water, snacks, pocket knife/utility knife, bug repellant (VERY important!), cache printouts. :anitongue:

Edited by ChristinaLVT

This is very quotable. Are you sure you're a newbie? :anitongue:

Have the scars to prove it! Matter of fact, my first cache, I almost couldn't get out of a fissure and was real close to calling the fire department and on my second one, I came out of the Adobe Falls canyon several hundred feet off course and couldn't figure out right away how to get back to my car without going thru someone's backyard.

Fortunately, both stories have a happy ending.

Had me curious as to what I actually had in my bag, which is a hydro pack with pockets. Just took inventory.

Gloves

Water

Mirror on three foot expandable handle (with magnetic end)

Extra batteries

Head lamp

Two spare pens

Gerber Multi Tool

Two FRS radios

Silva Compass

Insect Repellant

Sunscreen

Hand Sanitizer

Space Blanket

Basic first aid

Two Cliff Bars

Couple log sheets in mini lock bags

PDA

Camera

GPSr

Small bag of Sig item swag

In my pocket I always have my cell phone. On my key clip I have a mini Leatherman, a flashlight and a space pen.

The above would always be with me plus there are lots of other gear I keep in the Jeep at all times that I could/would put in the bag depending on how long I’d be away from the Jeep.

Spare Batteries (for when something runs of out 'juice')

Camera (for snaps at the cache and on the hunt)

PDA (all my caching files on cachemate)

Multi-tool (may come in useful one day)

Pen (for if there isn't one in the cache)

Plasters ('band-aids' to some of you)

Hokkairo (Japanese hand warmer)

Vinal gloves (thanks bones1)

Kendal mint cake (tasty)

GPSr (obvious reasons)

Torch (night caching)

Trackables

Compass

Swag

P.S. Speaking of newbies, does anyone know if there is a forum to introduce yourself to the geocaching community, i.e. make local geocaching friends, etc.? I can't find one.
It sounds like the Getting Started forum would be a good place. Perhaps we should try a new topic here? The natives seem friendly :rolleyes: , especially compared to some of the forums with more contentious topics.

Right now the vast majority of my caching is done working off the list of "truck friendly" caches and so usually don't involve long hikes. I carry my GPSr, pen, flashlight, gloves, knife, hiking pole (with a bum hip it helps on hills), and swag. Usually a bottle of Gatorade too.

I'm currently looking for one of those telescoping mirrors.

Right now the vast majority of my caching is done working off the list of "truck friendly" caches and so usually don't involve long hikes. I carry my GPSr, pen, flashlight, gloves, knife, hiking pole (with a bum hip it helps on hills), and swag. Usually a bottle of Gatorade too.

I know there are less expensive telescoping mirrors out there but I picked mine up at Sears. It's a Craftsman that extends out to 36 inches. The mirror is attached via an extremely strong magnet. You can slide the mirror off and use the extended handle to search for magnetic caches.

I know there are less expensive telescoping mirrors out there but I picked mine up at Sears. It's a Craftsman that extends out to 36 inches. The mirror is attached via an extremely strong magnet. You can slide the mirror off and use the extended handle to search for magnetic caches.

Thanks, that's the one I've been keeping an eye out for. guess I'll have to swing by Sears.

This is going to be a dumb question....what is a swag??

Welcome fellow newb.

The dictionary here is helpful. It's "swag" by the way not "a swag" - it's an old term for loot or booty. In the UK, burglars are often depicted in old comics wearing a mask, stripey jumper and carrying a bag marked SWAG. :(

Oh yes, I forgot - booty seems to mean something else these days. :laughing:

Hemostats

What are the hemostats for?

Hemostats are a medical tool. I use them for pulling tight fitting logs out of micro caches or any other place that I want a skinny tool that grips extremely tightly. People use them for many things. You may be familiar with them from one of those other uses.

Here's a picture:

Hemostats.jpg

Edited by Thrak

Interesting array of things everyone is carrying.

I hope you dont mind if I start stealing elements from you kits!

One thing.....I really like the idea of a telescopic magnet and I have thought about it before. My only worry has been the effect of a magnet in my bag with other things such as batteries, electronics and metal stuff.

Hemostats are a medical tool. I use them for pulling tight fitting logs out of micro caches or any other place that I want a skinny tool that grips extremely tightly. People use them for many things. You may be familiar with them from one of those other uses.

Oh, ok. I use them for work, but hadn't though to bring any on the trail. Thanks!

Swag bag, PDA, GPS, camera, swag, weapon, extra batteries, water, bug spray, suntan lotion. extra logbooks/baggies/pens to repair caches that need it, hiking pole, furry neon orange "pimp hat", cell phone, first aid kit, car keys.

I think that covers it. It sounds like a lot but it is all small and all fits into my small 9" lumbar pack.

Edited by dark_onyx1982

We carry all the things we think will be needed in our search and some toys, etc.

Cache Bag

Cache Papers

GPSr

Extra Batteries

Bug Juice

Sun Screen

Big Flashlight

Camera

Water Bottles (1 for every person)

Index Cards (in case the log is wet)

Little Plastic Baggies (again, if the log is wet)

2 Pens

Work Gloves

Toys

Any TBs and Geocoins

I've been more of a hiker and only recently heard of geocaching (as you can see, I have yet to log my first find!), so my perspective may be a little different... and no doubt ignorant when it comes to geocaching. Any time you lose sight of roads, you should take the 10 essentials that hiking that guidebooks recommend:

1. water - the most important... can't do anything if you are disoriented from dehydration!

2. map

3. compass (#2 and #3 hopefully get you out of danger before you need items 4 through 10. Of course, you also need a PLAN to go with that map and compass... at a minimum know which direction is most likely to hit a traveled road that cuts broadly across your direction of travel!)

4. extra clothing (for warmth if needed)

5. first aid kit (they sell small ones that are all of 1 or 2 oz.!)

6. rain gear (lightweight rain shells that roll up into a small stuff sack are awesome... plastic rain ponchos for all of 80 cents do the trick too)

7. pocket knife or multitool

8. food (at least several snacks / bars)

9. headlamp (or at least a flashlight... in all honesty this is the only one on the list I don't currently have in the backpack)

10. firestarter (matches, lighter)

NOTICE that Cell phone and GPSr do not make the "essentials" list. Electronics malfunction, break, lose power, lose reception, etc. Best to know how to get yourself out of trouble and rely on electronics only as a backup.

I also hike with these luxuries:

1. a camera (with a pen in the side pocket of the small camera bag)

2. a cell phone

3. my new gps / extra AA batteries

4. compact binoculars

5. a bird book or flower book

6. sunglasses

7. apple juice

8. wet wipes in a baggie and extra baggies (hey... you never know...)

9. bug spray

10. sunscreen

and now that I am planning my first few caches, I have to add...

11. Swag

Anecdote: my sister and her friend were in Sequoia Natl. Park, and they told the person at the information area that they had done the short walks and wanted to get a little further off the beaten path. They were told to "head down the canyon." Of course, they were TOTALLY unprepared, walked not all that far down to the water, gazed in awe at the beauty of it all, turned around, and realized they had NO IDEA where the trail went back up. Trails disappear into the landscape when you are not on them! Later, parched, tired, and *totally freaked out*, they found their way back to a campsite just before dark by PURE LUCK. It could have ended very differently.

Edited by 2brnot2b

From what I have read I am convinced the Magellan Platinum is superior to the newer units. I have used them for years and currently have 4 , 2 of which I got on ebay. They have a 3 axis compass, sd card slot, sunken-large screen, wonderfull operating buttons, quad-helix antenna all of which the new ones lack ( some have some features, but not all) The Mapsend software works great with these.....I'm including a list which may be of use to you......it was posted by a couple of us on our states website. You can get these on EBAY with extras....check below location.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...o=&saprchi=

LIST OF USUFULL GEOCACHING ITEMS

I can’t say that mine is better than any other because I have only used 1 other. But my Magellan Meridian Color with Mapsend Software gets the job done. I can carry the whole Southeast US on my 500 mb sd card and have plenty of room for more. That includes dirt and gravel roads. Last summer, I lead a column of cars carrying 19 people across the Florida countryside in the middle of the night for 4 hours, and I did it from the rear of the column via CB radio. Missing signs were not a problem. That’s real-time mapping capability in a practical application. Superior signal stability under harsh conditions, etc, etc. So Watcha, what kind of Magellan are you using? And what did you do to provoke it?

Doggy is right.......again.

Bamette and I each use a Meridian Platinum ( Magellan) with Directroute Software and I have a Platinum for a spare. With the SD card capability you can store maps, lists of caches, etc. ( an immense amount) and you also have an electronic compass, big screen, easy to use buttons, and maintain a lock under heavy canopy for hours. I also have two Garmins but the Platinums are the way to go.

Grab you a couple of Palms on ebay, download spinner and plucker, and you're good to go. On a cross country trip you could load dozens of spinner files ( one for each city?) on your Magellans SD card and use plucker to put each one on your Palm, charge your batteries, and you're ready for weeks of caching ( you can also get the Platinum GPS on ebay w/ lots of extras for about $150.).

A convenient holster will give you a place to carry and protect your gpsr. A PDA holster will do the same for your PDA. An adaptor for your cig lighter will stretch your batteries life. A probe will help you avoid biting varmints. A mirror with an intense pocket flashlight will get you past those out-of-sighters. I like to use a lensatic compass for precision. I also use a wrist compass clipped to my watchband for qlance orientation. That’s just on the weekends of course. I like it so much that I’m looking for 2 more, one for my dress watch and the other for my son. I guess they’re out of season? If you are really loaded for bear, bring along a metal detector. If the cache has a coin in it or is made of metal, it will give you the edge. I guess that’s about it. I’m not saying I do that. It’s an interesting thought though

To add to the geocache tool list you must buy a top of the line MAHA battery charger ( I use three) and a supply of MAHA POWERX Ni MH batteries .....these are the best made ( don't take my word for it, look it up ) then you will have plenty of batteries for your digital camera ( my wife and I each carry one), GPS unit, flashlights etc.

For a small , powerfull flashlight you can't beat a Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax ( 5 blinding watts of LED driven by two 3 volt lithium batteries.....the batteries are $15 for a box of twelve and have a 10 year shelf life....kind of pricy but well worth it...will light up the woods.

I don't know if the most important thing was mentioned....a good walking stick. Local cachers and special guests can get one free at the View Carre' cache.......don't leave your car without your stick.

Also a small pocket screwdriver for digging out micro logs and other probing.

AND DON’T FORGET TO BRING A PENCIL.

LIST From Above :

1. Magellan Meridian Platinum GPS Unit + Belt Holster (EBAY- If you will have a regular partner , get two )

2. Palm M500 PDA and case ( ebay- buy an extra for backup )

3. 12” metal probe for searching tree cavities etc. for micro caches

4. 2 “ or 3” extension mirror

5. Small, intense flashlight ( Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax )

6. Pencil

7. Sharpie ( Fine Point)

8. Cotton Gloves

9. Pocket Screwdriver

10. Walking stick

11. Plastimo Iris 50 Hand Bearing Compass ( Great for offset caches)

12. C401FSDC MAHA NiMH Battery Charger

13. Maha 2500 mAh NiMH PowerX AA Batteries (GPS,camera,flashlights,etc. )

14. Digital Camera

15. Access to computer w/ internet connection ( premium membership in geocaching.com is best )

INFORMATION ON PAPERLESS CACHING

I got started with step by step info. I got from the Florida Geocaching website and I keep copies here at my View Carre' cache to hand out to others. I am not hi tech and can't quite use my cell phone but this guide is can't miss. If you can't find it email me and I can fax it to you.

http://www.floridageocaching.com/paperless.htm = step by step instructions.

being a noob myself i found it necessary to start carrying a small hydration pack that has plenty of pockets and is capable of 2liters of water. Already inside is my Gpsr, small notebook, couple of pens, swag, camera, extra batteries for gps and camera, and basic first aid kit. Soon to be added will be flashlight, emergency food packs, binocs, and mechanics gloves. I am sure I will find an excuse to add more things as I see fit - ie a hiking stick for those longer/steeper hikes. maybe even a bit of rope.

I feel like a pack rat. Here's what i have on me now and on a daily basis.

iFAK: (individual first aid kit)

-2x Aspirin (325mg packets)

-2x Cleansing Wipes

-1x Sinus Relief

-2x Aleeve

-3x Neosporin

-3x Hydro cortisone

-6x small band aid

-4x large band aid

-1x 2x2 Gauze

-1x Gerber knife

-1x Bic Lighter

StingEze (I hate bug bites)

Keys with carabiner (Jeep key, house key, garage key, gun case keys)

1 mini Xacto blade holder

1x blade capsule:

-10x angled xacto blades

-1x Curved xacto blade (think scalpel)

Sharpie with 2 paper clips rubber banded to it

Mini mag lite with LED conversion kit (worn on belt)

Cellphone (worn on belt in secure leather holder)

Leatherman Wave (worn on belt)

Antacid (More often I have the small paper wrapped "tube", but this is what I have at the moment)

Wallet (containing ID, CCs, ~$100 in cash, video store cards, CCW permit, etc...)

Sony Cyber-shot 7.2mpx digital camera with 2.5GB of storage

mithuth-059s.jpg

mithuth-056s.jpg

In my Jeep I have 2 days of food (MREs), 4 20oz watter bottles, sun screen, bug spray, misc tools, pens and pencils, notebooks, and a bunch of other "daily survival" items. I also keep snacks and other things on hand. Oh, and I always have some sort of SWAG in the Jeep. From carabiners, to small bungee cords, to misc McDs toys, to bouncy balls, etc.. Having 4 kids, SWAG on hand is never an issue, and they're always willing to trade a toy for a toy.

When I go caching, I just take my print outs and hope for the best. I have not GPS or PDA or anything like that so we scout the area a bit, refer to the mini map that prints with our cache info, then wander around.

I got a lead on a PDA, and I'm going to get a GPS as soon as money allows, but doubt I'll get anything too fancy.

I do see a lot of things in this thread that would be extremely helpful, and may throw together a small hip pack of things to take caching; like tweezers, small mirror, small poking rod, and a few other great caching specific items.

I think once we secure a good GPS and how to use it, our numbers will climb a little easier.

nothing much but the furthest cache ive been by myself was about 4 miles away

camera, memoryc ard

GPS

torch

mobile phone

keys

plasters

chocolate bars

water

bike (as if id walk lol)

bike lock

bag for it all

batterys foir camera nd GPS

small trinkets

map of local area (needs replacing. had it for years. V.tatty lol)

cache printouts

pen/pencil

Edited by yatesDELTA

Going from memory:

Pen, Sharpie marker & Rite-In-Rain notebook

Swiss Army Knife

Spare "Hybrid" batteries

Multi-tool

First-aid kit

Naglene water bottle

GPS - Garmin 60 GSx

Cell phone

Fenix flashlight

CRKT knife

Camera

Swag

SAS Pocket Survival Guide

Leather gloves

Sunglasses

Safety pins

Cache printouts

Tracks walking stick

Maxpedition Fatboy Jumbo bag w/ JANUS extension pocket, 4 1/2" holster & 5" holster attached