JUNK CACHE BOX

jarvis's

i have found a couple caches hidden by the same person and they have used a old snack food container and its made of thin plastic and the lid's never stay on good and everyone of these i have found are wet and nasty inside and you cant even sign the log... yesterday i got mad when i found one and i tagged it as needs maintenance and the owner sent me an email saying they are happy that i posted that it needed fixed and that they went and looked at it and it was fine ... it was wet because other cacher's have not put the lid on right.. but i know the plastic container is just junk... is there something that could be done so this owner will replace all of these junk box's??? i know it makes me mad to spend time looking for something thats wet and i can not sign the log... and don't want others to feel this same way... id rather not have a find then to find trash.....

If they are a new cacher offer advice and hope they learn. If they have been doing this for a while there may be no hope, they don't care about others experience and constant logs about wet caches do not bother them. Then you can ignore all of their caches in the future until you hear they are better.

Peer pressure, If everyone that found the cache logged that it was a crap box and their experience was not so great because they found a wet box, then the owner will ether get the hint and replace the box or archive their caches. Either way problem solved.

But it is up to the cache owner to do the right thing, there is no recourse to make them do anything.

GEO.JOE

On second thought, I reserve the right to change my mind. I have just read all the logs on that particular hider's caches. In one log note, he/she states that maintenance will not be done just because the log is soaked. To me them's now fighting words. Time for a note to your reviewer with your concerns.

they are not new to caching... they have alot of finds and hides... this is what they wrote me in email..

hey thanks for letting us know about are cache,but the thing is people

get in to big of a rush and don't take the time to put the lid on right

but u did and we thank u for that,we looked at a the cache today and

decide not to replace anything in it let them sign it wet or not find it

at all,if thats how some want to be so be it,people want to slam the

rocks back down on it and things like that ,u know how some are and all...

they just don't seem to care if anyone looks for their caches ... it just seems like a waste for them to hide junk caches.... i have enjoyed finding them even found new places in my area but i also enjoy making a log and trading swag.. i guess i will email a local publisher that has published most of my local caches....

they are not new to caching... they have alot of finds and hides... this is what they wrote me in email..

hey thanks for letting us know about are cache,but the thing is people

get in to big of a rush and don't take the time to put the lid on right

but u did and we thank u for that,we looked at a the cache today and

decide not to replace anything in it let them sign it wet or not find it

at all,if thats how some want to be so be it,people want to slam the

rocks back down on it and things like that ,u know how some are and all...

they just don't seem to care if anyone looks for their caches ... it just seems like a waste for them to hide junk caches.... i have enjoyed finding them even found new places in my area but i also enjoy making a log and trading swag.. i guess i will email a local publisher that has published most of my local caches....

There is little your reviewer could or would do. If the cache conforms to the guidelines and the owner is active, complaining to him is pointless because it's not his job to police cache quality.

There is little your reviewer could or would do. If the cache conforms to the guidelines and the owner is active, complaining to him is pointless because it's not his job to police cache quality.

I disagree. It is his job to address (not police) cache quality. They do decide if a cache should be archived due to condition.

As I understand they will request the cacher owner to address fixing the cache and will archive it if it isn't fixed. Being an active and responding cache owner is not enough of a justification to leave a broken cache out in the field.

I see that the cache in question is within my review territory.

While I am generally very diligent about cache maintenance issues, I don't think the time is ripe yet to take action on this cache. What I look for is a string of logs reporting that the cache is missing, or full of water, or doesn't have a functional logbook, etc. And, I make periodic sweeps of caches that have been "temporarily disabled" for more than a couple of months. What I don't do is look for every cache that has a full log or a damp log. I simply haven't the time.