Rubber surround on the Legend

I have a problem with the rubber surround on my garmin Legend - I also had the same probelm with my earlier E-trex and no doubt would have had with the venture. In the hot weather the glue (or is it double sided tape) becomes tacky and the surround starts to work loose causing the occasional difficulty with getting the controls to hit the right spot.

Has anyone else had difficulty with these or is it just me (I cant believe it is just me as it has happened with more than one garmin which are designed in the same way)

What can be done to prevent this.

Oh and I will not, NOT go out in the hot weather in order to stop this happening [:unsure:]

Not happened to my Garmin yet, although I'd be interested to know the solution as I have seen a couple of GPSr's now with this problem. In fact the rubber surround appears to enlarge itself so even if stuck down again I'd imagine it's too big?

Jon

What you need to do is take the thing off completely and clean off all the double-sided tape from the rubber and the housing. Use isopropyl alcohol NOT turps or anything else and then glue it on with something that takes a while to dry - so NOT superglue. Make sure you get a good, even, thin film on the housing and avoid the recesses where the buttons are. The surround will fit comfortably on - it's not too big - and can be held in place with some elastic bands wrapped around and parallel with the rubber. DO NOT wrap too tight as this will cause the rubber to crease and this is why people think it's expanded. Practice with your technique and the elastic bands before you go for it. I recently mended Mandy's (Us4andJess) and it was all fine until she brayed it off a rock and fubared the screen.

Yes, happened on my Etrex on a couple of hot days, then made worse yesterday because the rubber has split so it was coming off completely.

Today I've cleaned off all the Gunk with meths & soapy water (on the rubber not on the unit!), and stuck it back on with Silicone bath sealant ( a thin layer applied very carefuly with a modelling knife, being sure not to get any round the button contact points). It seems to have stuck well, though only time will tell how it stands up to use, but as this stuff is designed to be used round hot baths I expect it to be waterproof, and stand up to any temperatures I'm likely to come across in this country.

I reseated the rubber on my Legend a couple of weeks back, it was a pain feel process

1. take of rubber

2. peel of gooey double side tape (leave single sided tape undernith in place)

3. remove glue from rubber using warm soapy water

4. do same on the unit, just go more carefully and take the batteries out

5. let everything dry

6. cut photo rated double sided tape and place it round the unit, I did mine in 4cm strips (don't put it over the button switches)

7. start at the top, peel the backing and seat the rubber

8. next do the same at the bottom

9. and finally to the sides

I think what caused the glue to go on mine was travelling between caches on hot sunny days

The same thing happened to our Legend C not long ago, so we contacted Garmin and after a bit of persistence they agreed to look at it. About 5 days later we received a brand new replacement GPSr in the post! Top service, Garmin!

We emailed Andy.Phillips@garmin.com and he was very helpful.

Same thing happened with my Etrex Vista CX, just days outside of the warranty period.

Garmin replaced the system [ which also came with an uprated memory stick] free of charge.

This is why I will never purchase a system from anyone else as some what uniquely in my personal experience ,they seem to fully understand the concept of personal service. Something which a leading car warranty company I am dealing with at present do not understand and will suffer at great cost!

I had a similar problem with my Legend. I asked one of the Garmin exhibitors at the Outdoors Show earlier this year. He said that if it was him he would try putting the unit in the freezer for a while, which makes the glue harden up again. I wasn't altogether convinced so I didn't try it. I suppose it would be OK if you didn't leave it in there too long.

Same thing happened with my Etrex Vista CX, just days outside of the warranty period.

Garmin replaced the system [ which also came with an uprated memory stick] free of charge.

This is why I will never purchase a system from anyone else as some what uniquely in my personal experience ,they seem to fully understand the concept of personal service. Something which a leading car warranty company I am dealing with at present do not understand and will suffer at great cost!

I quite agree. My eTrex yellow's LCD crazed over after a trip in an aircraft hold just after the warranty period. Garmin replaced it free of charge. They took their time about it mind you - they said it got lost in the workshop . :rolleyes:

Thanks for replies - I have repaired mine with the double sided tape idea and this works fine (oh and I found a good use for those little red rubber bands the postman drops too) - The hot weather does cause the problem in the main - I am surprised that garmin havent come up with a solution to this as it does seem a common problem.

Tim - ddm

It's happened to both my black-and-white Vista and my Vista C.

They're supposed to be waterproof units; I dunked the 3-year-old Vista C last month (about a year after the rubber gasket came loose), and water just poured into the unit.

Just bought a Vista HCX; hope Garmin's fixed the problem.

The glue can't stand any traces of an oil-based sun protection cream.

My E-Trex Vista did exactly the same in Italy. It was very hot (32C) and I had sun protection on my arms and hands. I was sweaty from climbing and I'm sure the sun protection disolved my Vista's glue.

Taking the advice above, I will have a go a fixing it.

Thanks for the advice.

Dave

Edited by davidh.jones

Ive just bought my etrex and if it is sun cream that causes this, a garmin case is the way to go for me. Just wondering though does this cut down the reception at all? (yes I am new :))

The case won't make any difference and if you can protect the screen of your GPSr and not smack it against rocks in your enthusiasm to get at a cache, then all the better. What does make a difference is trees and other cover, and some car windscreens might upset the thing a bit if they are athermic

The case won't make any difference and if you can protect the screen of your GPSr and not smack it against rocks in your enthusiasm to get at a cache, then all the better. What does make a difference is trees and other cover, and some car windscreens might upset the thing a bit if they are athermic

Thanx. I better run along to my local camping supply shop and get me one. :)

I have had the Garmin E-trex, Venture and Legend gps units since I started and 5 years of having the same problem with the rubber working loose :anicute: and the glue melting on really hot days :laughing: - and although found the really useful hints on repairing the problems :rolleyes: (double sided tape etc) I have finally found the solution to solve this ongoing problem B)

I have got an Oregon B) - saves on a lot of paper too

Much better option: Ring Garmin Customer services. Tell them that the rubber surround has come unstuck.

Without question they set up a service number for me, I sent in my GPS, and they sent back a new 'reconditioned' unit with a full year warranty on it! All for FREE!! Plus it only took about 4 days (they quoted 10). So if you have an older unit that's now out of warranty, send it in and get the piece of mind back with it.

Much better option: Ring Garmin Customer services. Tell them that the rubber surround has come unstuck.

Without question they set up a service number for me, I sent in my GPS, and they sent back a new 'reconditioned' unit with a full year warranty on it! All for FREE!! Plus it only took about 4 days (they quoted 10). So if you have an older unit that's now out of warranty, send it in and get the piece of mind back with it.

Mine seems to be loose (Garmin Vista HCX) but I don't know if I can bear to be without it for 4 days, let alone 10 B) !

Funny... When Garmin replaced my 18 month old eTrex, they insisted that this could not be a design fault as they'd only had 2 others returned!!

I had also decided to replace it with an Oregon 400t (now they've sorted out the software) so the 'new' eTrexhas been passed on to my daughter and grandchildren for them to take up geocaching.

Chris

I did my Vista with a tube of Wilkinson General Purpose Adhesive (Evostick equivalent). As the band was saggy, I cut it at the bottom where the lanyard attaches and trimmed the new ends to fit snugly.

As others said, clean off all the residue, I coated both the rubber and the Vista liberally with glue, avoiding the button areas, and left them sitting for about 25 mins for the glue to dry out.

I then just feed the rubber round, starting but putting the USB plug in first. I used sellotape to keep everything tucked in.

Leaving the glue to pre-dry for 25 mins was the key, it almost disappeared! The band stuck well as soon as contact was made but could still be manipulated.

Trimmed off any other surplus glue afterwards with my nail. It's been good for about 5 months now....

I have a problem with the rubber surround on my garmin Legend - I also had the same probelm with my earlier E-trex and no doubt would have had with the venture. In the hot weather the glue (or is it double sided tape) becomes tacky and the surround starts to work loose causing the occasional difficulty with getting the controls to hit the right spot.

Has anyone else had difficulty with these or is it just me (I cant believe it is just me as it has happened with more than one garmin which are designed in the same way)

What can be done to prevent this.

Oh and I will not, NOT go out in the hot weather in order to stop this happening [:)]

Garmin has still not figured this out. the bands on most of there GPS's fall off. We took our band off cleaned the glue out and super glued it back together. Now its staying still.