So...what happened

lvpwx

So...what has happened to geocaching?The caches are put out in the open,you drive around in a car with a GPS unit until you find one that's been posted on the site and that's it!!!Where is the fun in that?

Once upon a time,it meant trekking through the bush with a compass and a map to find the 'treasure'.Doesn't anyone know how to use those TOOLS anymore???!!

'Tis sad,for sure.....IS anybody willing to do it the old fashioned,fun WAY?...or are you all too 'technologically advanced' for that?I'd be interested in hearing from REAL trekkers.....I don't have a problem with posting the general area of the cache,but longs and lats???...gee,what's wrong with general directions like....

...travel about 3kms north on 'x' brook,you will find a big rock,turn left at the rock on bearing 270° on your compass,go 1/2 a km from there look up.Your treasure awaits!!!

Catch my drift?

lvpwx....wanting to do it right!!

So...what has happened to geocaching?The caches are put out in the open,you drive around in a car with a GPS unit until you find one that's been posted on the site and that's it!!!Where is the fun in that?

Once upon a time,it meant trekking through the bush with a compass and a map to find the 'treasure'.Doesn't anyone know how to use those TOOLS anymore???!!

'Tis sad,for sure.....IS anybody willing to do it the old fashioned,fun WAY?...or are you all too 'technologically advanced' for that?I'd be interested in hearing from REAL trekkers.....I don't have a problem with posting the general area of the cache,but longs and lats???...gee,what's wrong with general directions like....

...travel about 3kms north on 'x' brook,you will find a big rock,turn left at the rock on bearing 270° on your compass,go 1/2 a km from there look up.Your treasure awaits!!!

Catch my drift?

you've been a member since May, what is this once upon a time you speak of. and it appears from your profile that you have enough experience hunting caches to ..... you wanna use a map and compass knock yourself out many people hunt caches exactly that way.

you will get out of caching what you put into it, I know I do.

To quote the FAQ for this fine pastime - "Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users". 'Nuff sed.

Perhumps I should tone that down a tad. I was just so amazed by your post. :unsure: There are caches out there that involve using the skills you describe. Often under the Mystery or Hybrid Letterbox type. However, the common factor of all geocaches is the use of a GPSr. I strongly recommend reading the FAQ under Getting Started.

Ok ....I respect and appreciate all replies.

I'm just curious as to what happened to real trekking...or as we used to know it as,orienteering.

I must say that driving around in a vehicle,munching on a Mac,swilling a Tim's double double and watching a GPS is not my idea of getting out into the wide open spaces but c'est la vie!

I have two or three locations picked for caches and will be getting them set up soon...(do I have you interested now?)..that will require going on foot to find them.....the old fashioned way without any precise longs and lats listed except the ones to be reported by the first to locate them.They will be in completely safe areas but pack a lunch..you may be looking for awhile but I'll try to make the venture worth it!!

I'll make the first one really easy to find in a semi-remote area of Lunenburg Co,it should be in place by next weekend.

lvpwx

Catch my drift?

you've been a member since May, what is this once upon a time you speak of. and it appears from your profile that you have enough experience hunting caches to ..... you wanna use a map and compass knock yourself out many people hunt caches exactly that way.

you will get out of caching what you put into it, I know I do.

I'm sorry,this 'once upon a time' statement was in reference to the time before the days of handheld GPS units.That may have been before you were born...how would I know? LOL.Since I've only been a member since May is irrelevant.....that was when I stumbled across this site from a newspaper article.Perhaps you have been here longer,that does not give you the authority.Have you actually ever been in the wilderness or are you a 'driver'?However,do it as you like...I prefer to walk through the woods enjoying the natural surroundings and 'roughing it' instead of driving in an A/Ced vehicle to a pre-determined site to play the game.However,do as you like,I'm nonjudgemental....is that a word?

I think I may be in the wrong place.....I thought geocaching was meant to get people back to,and to a garner a new respect for,nature instead of ruining it by polluting the environment in the name of a game.

Sorry....maybe I was wrong.It happens to us all atleast once in a lifetime.

Sincerely,

lvpwx

Edited by lvpwx
I'm sorry,this 'once upon a time' statement was in reference to the time before the days of handheld GPS units.That may have been before you were born...how would I know? LOL.Since I've only been a member since May is irrelevant.....that was when I stumbled across this site from a newspaper article.Perhaps you have been here longer,that does not give you the authority.Have you actually ever been in the wilderness or are you a 'driver'?However,do it as you like...I prefer to walk through the woods enjoying the natural surroundings and 'roughing it' instead of driving in an A/Ced vehicle to a pre-determined site to play the game.However,do as you like,I'm nonjudgemental....is that a word?

I think I may be in the wrong place.....I thought geocaching was meant to get people back to,and to a garner a new respect for,nature instead of ruining it by polluting the environment in the name of a game.

Sorry....maybe I was wrong.It happens to us all atleast once in a lifetime.

Sincerely,

lvpwx

I live in Northern Ontario. I am well aware of this wilderness you speak of. I didn't mean to be rude but was taken aback by your original post. A friend and I went caching yesterday. He drove down from the north and I drove up and met in the middle in a fairly cache dense area. Driving was required to go from cache to cache but at each spot we got out of the car and looked at the world that surrounded us. the most common statement made by either one one of us was, "wow I should have brought my camera." we came across a trail system that we will revisit to either hike/bike or ski season permitting, we found caches along a historic trail that taught us about the history of the geography, industry and people of the area. It was a great day, not due to driving or necessarily the caching but because I was hanging out with a friend.

I wish you luck with your cache placements. I have found several caches that require the cacher to use orienteering skills (learned mine at Bark Lake Leadership Camp, good times). A point to remember though is that you need at least one long/lat point to get it listed. (the trailhead I would guess) then feel free to have us "head at a bearing of x for x metres, then go off at bearing x for x metres. I know I would love to try a cache like that.

Not all caches are at the side of the road, the ones that i like the most make me get off my bike or out of my car and experience the world around me. I won't apologize for using the car or motorcycle to get there. All the caches that I can ride my bicycle too have been found already.

enjoy the trek

bryan

Edited by bwmick

I don't have a problem with posting the general area of the cache,but longs and lats???...gee,what's wrong with general directions like....

Catch my drift?

Geocaching is what it is, so it seems pointless to criticise it for not being what it's not. If you want to follow directions rather than lat/long coordinates, maybe you should check out letterboxing. letterboxing.org or atlasquest.com are good places to start.

dave

Well thanks for the replies.I didn't mean to come on too strong but perhaps I did.I really didn't look into this 'sport' enough apparently.I was under the impression that it was meant to get people 'out there'.Now I'm finding out that it is basically a glorified game of hide and seek.Caches are placed along major thoroughfares,in mall parking lots,etc.You take your little GPS,you drive to the listed co-ords and,holy cow!!!,there it is.Where is the fun in that?That being the case,maybe I'll put a cache here on my desk....why bother to go out at all!!!!

I do realize that driving is needed to get a person to a general cache area but if it's right under your nose in a parking lot,there is no challenge.There may as well be one on every street corner in every town to simplify the search.

I don't think this activity is meant for me but I'll give it a try and maybe I'll change my mind.I do prefer more of a challenge but,as I mentioned previously,to each his own.I was basically expecting to do some hiking and biking,which I do now by the way,and play the game at the same time.

Cheers!!

I, for one, will support your position. I have been at this for four years and when we started most treks to caches involved going into a forest, a conservation area etc. and 1km or so of hiking. We have felt for some time that the distances are going down to .5 km being a long walk now. There are also more drive up and very short trek caches.

Is that good or bad? Hmm, that's a tough question. I guess if you like going into nature and taking a hike its a bad thing. If you like building smilies, or don't like a longer walk its a good thing. For us, we prefer the hikes and those are disappearing, at least in our area so its a bad thing and would like to see more balance in what's being placed.

JD

Hi gang!

A few days ago I posted a reply in the Getting Started forum regarding GPS losing lock in dense foliage areas. I added my useful two cents because I do a lot hiking in denser areas and climbing to get to caches. I do use a compass and sometimes even pacing beads. I select the caches that suit ME. As well, I mostly go for the hunt and do a lot of TNLN.

At the end of my post I truthfully noted that all different kinds of folks hunt for all different kinds of caches. To each their own!! Have fun and do what suits you.

tec_64

Wayne

Sudbury, Ontario

Edited by tec_64

So...what has happened to geocaching?

Sometimes, the fact that we allow people to sign up, with no knowledge and no qualifications, and allow them to post garbage on our site, does backfire on us. :D

The caches are put out in the open,

Generally, this is not true. Occasionally, caches are "hidden in plain sight". Should you ever choose to try this hobby, you'll be sure to discover this.

you drive around in a car with a GPS unit until you find one that's been posted on the site and that's it!!!Where is the fun in that?

That doesn't sound like much fun. In fact, I think you'd have to be a bit of a moron to cache like that, but suit yourself.

Once upon a time,it meant trekking through the bush with a compass and a map to find the 'treasure'.

Not true. Once again, as throughout this post, as well as all of your alleged apologies, which simply add more insult, you show your ignorance. This is kind of like saying, "What's the fun of flying to Europe for a vacation? In the 'olden days', explorers used to get a big wooden ship and just set out on the ocean, hoping to find a new land". Different things, entirely, even though both involve traveling from one place to another.

Doesn't anyone know how to use those TOOLS anymore???!!

Actually, we do know how to use those tools. Sometimes we even incorporate them in our hobby, just as a change. Of course, one would actually have to do some research and do some caches, in order to discover this.

'Tis sad,for sure.....IS anybody willing to do it the old fashioned,fun WAY?...or are you all too 'technologically advanced' for that?
Once you've used technology for a while, you'll discover many things. For example, geocaching is ALL about using a GPS to find something that is hidden, whether it is in a parking lot or on the side of a cliff. After using your new-fangled computer for a while, you'll discover that on the internet, when one posts on forums, it is usually a really good idea to know what you're talking about, before spouting off your big mouth and insulting hundreds of thousands of people that you know nothing about, who are enjoying doing something that you know nothing about.
I'd be interested in hearing from REAL trekkers.....I don't have a problem with posting the general area of the cache,but longs and lats???
We have many REAL trekkers. My friend and I just did a 27km trek. Again, one finds these things out by doing it... sometimes even just by ASKING questions, rather than making ignorant accusations.
...gee,what's wrong with general directions like....

Nothing, at all. It just rarely has anything to do with geocaching. Sounds more like orienteering or the newer version of that - letterboxing. Many people do those hobbies as well, but most geocachers find them less challenging and less enjoyable. We'd be happy to hear you had turned your expertise in that direction.

Catch my drift?
Yup! Catch mine?
That should be easy. Apologise for your ignorance and rude attitude, do some research and jump on board. You may even turn out to have some great ideas for caches. First, buy or borrow a GPS and try geocaching. In fact, before you buy a GPS, try it your way. Jump in your car and drive around aimlessly, until you see a cache lying in the open! Then come on the site and try to find out what cache it is and where it is posted on the site, and log it as a find! :D Good luck!

My hard caches get very few hits. I find the logs interesting, but few and far between.

My Easy caches get lots of hits. I find interesting logs few and far between - but they introduce me to cachers that don't have a few days off to try some of my harder material.

Those that like to complain i find, are never the ones to attempt my hard caches. They put them on their ignore lists.

I recommend putting all the easy caches on your ignore list :D

It can be a sport, it can be a game. Your choice. People play it differently, and one thing that you will find is that if you are arrogant towards people that have a different lifestyle then you, you will not be well received.

Try the car before you buy - and let us know if you survive.

I don't have a problem with posting the general area of the cache,but longs and lats???...gee,what's wrong with general directions like....

Catch my drift?

What you are talking about is letterboxing (letterboxing.org for example). That is a different activity. Maybe you would prefer that to geocaching, give it a try. From what I've seen though, letterboxes are rarely placed far in the woods, and there are not many around.

Geocaching involves using a GPS and coordinates. You could have to walk 5 meters or 10 kilometers, depends on the caches you choose to do. Check the terrain rating and the description.

As for orienteering, that is also a completely different sport. Try COF to locate a club in your area. No GPS allowed in orienteering! Map is mandatory, compass is optional but useful. It can be a done as fast walk in the woods (it is for me) or as a sprint race in extreme terrain. If it still seems too easy, check out Rogaining :blink:

lvpwx;

Each of us choses his or her own sport or activity to experience. We try it; and either enjoy it, or we chose to abandon the particular sport and move on to another style of adventure. Those of us in geocaching, have chosen to use GPSr devices, usually accompanied with map and compass as well. Some chose to find urban caches; and others (such as I) prefer more rustic 'bush' type caches. But, we respect each other's choices to 'do' the sport as the individual has chosen.

Rather than experiencing 'geocaching', it appears you have chosen to slam what others have chosen to do; and you suggest that we have all made the wrong choice.

A little introspection might be in order - and then sample the sport, and make your own choices.

Well thanks for the replies.I didn't mean to come on too strong but perhaps I did.I really didn't look into this 'sport' enough apparently.I was under the impression that it was meant to get people 'out there'.Now I'm finding out that it is basically a glorified game of hide and seek.Caches are placed along major thoroughfares,in mall parking lots,etc.You take your little GPS,you drive to the listed co-ords and,holy cow!!!,there it is.Where is the fun in that?That being the case,maybe I'll put a cache here on my desk....why bother to go out at all!!!!

I do realize that driving is needed to get a person to a general cache area but if it's right under your nose in a parking lot,there is no challenge.There may as well be one on every street corner in every town to simplify the search.

I don't think this activity is meant for me but I'll give it a try and maybe I'll change my mind.I do prefer more of a challenge but,as I mentioned previously,to each his own.I was basically expecting to do some hiking and biking,which I do now by the way,and play the game at the same time.

Cheers!!

You did come on a bit strong, but that is what free speech is all about. That being said, I too have only been involved a little while and I enjoy both types of caches, the park and grabs as well as the treks. Since I live in Newfoundland, almost any cache that has been hidden here is a trek through mosquito infested woods. That in itself is a challenge.

I also find the more public caches and the micros challenging because you have to be sneaky around the muggles. The Gps does not take you right to the cache usually (maybe the expensive ones do, mine doesn't) you still have to search and poke about. That is a challenge on a crowded trail or a busy lookout, or as you said a parking lot.

Someone in this thread has already said, you get out what you put in. You do your caches any way you like and I wish you luck. Meanwhile, there must be an FTF out there with my name on it!

Guiderchachi

That being said, I too have only been involved a little while and I enjoy both types of caches, the park and grabs as well as the treks. Since I live in Newfoundland, almost any cache that has been hidden here is a trek through mosquito infested woods.

Guiderchachi... next time you are in the area, if you'd like a long-ish but beautiful and rewarding hike, try Green Bay Island Tickle. Some awesome views. Might be worth a weekend trip. I moved my mother to Harry's Harbour last year and this was the nicest hike I was able to do. Be sure to allow for extra time at the end, since it is not a quick find, though not that hard, once you put your mind in hide mode.

Guiderchachi... next time you are in the area, if you'd like a long-ish but beautiful and rewarding hike, try Green Bay Island Tickle. Some awesome views. Might be worth a weekend trip. I moved my mother to Harry's Harbour last year and this was the nicest hike I was able to do. Be sure to allow for extra time at the end, since it is not a quick find, though not that hard, once you put your mind in hide mode.

Thanks for the tip. I have found a couple of "highway" Green Bay caches and hope to spend a weekend doing the 30+ that are out in that area.

Guiderchachi

I must admit I have come back to this post a few times because I really get a chuckle out of it. It's kind of like saying "When we were kids we tightened our roller skates with a key and that's how we liked it! Now it's been ruined with rollerblades and heelies!!" You really are talking about two different things here--geocaching and orienteering. I have found the nano in the parking lot, and I have also kayaked to one which was, between paddling and hiking, an all day round trip for one cache. I thought I would take a look at the caches you have done to see what caches gave you such a harsh opinion of our game. Now, unless I am looking under the wrong profile, you haven't got any finds listed. I don't claim by any means to be an expert on the game, but at least I went out and gave it a shot. If you do ever decide to try caching, choose the cache that interests you. There are thousands of different ones out there. I'm sure one, at least, will meet your high standards.

We don't drink Tim's double, double while caching, usually at the end of the day we think we've earned a Slurpee at least.

I see by your profile that you have neither found or hidden any caches, so I don't know where your geo-caching experience comes from.

We've have found 179 caches and they are from the size of a nano (thanks Sunny-K) to a five gallon bucket hidden in the Frank Slide. Lately we are finding more micros because that is what is hidden now. We have driven within meters of some of the caches we've found. We've hiked anywhere from a few hundred meters to an 8 km round trip (51/2 hours) up Table Mountain which also had an elevation gain of 760 meters and there are some that we use our quads to drive into the area. Some of the caches we've found take us to a landmark and then we're given a compass bearing that will take you to the cache, for these we've used both GPSr and compasses to find. One of the caches lately we've had to contend with a rattlesnake and one of the caches we've hidden was muggled by a wild animal who was kind enough to leave his teeth imprints in the container.

We have 8 caches hidden, one you can drive you're drive to within a couple of hundred meters of, one you have to wade the Milk River which can be knee deep or chest deep with water (depending on the season), one I was told was buried . . . she finally found it and it isn't. The last five that take either hiking, quadding or a 4x4 vehicle, that you don't mind scratching, to get to.

Yesterday I read a bumper sticker at someone's web site, "Give blood become a geo-cacher." Sometimes this is a very true statement. So until you find one or two caches please don't pass judgement on something you don't understand.

Edited by geezer55

For me I live by something said by SBell11 in another forum...

Hide caches you would enjoy finding

That is the golden rule I live by.

I do caches that I don't enjoy, and they help remind me of the caches that I really did enjoy. I remember the challenging ones or the ones that were really well made. I forget the mundane.

Guess how long I will probably remember sharing that 27km hike with my earlier posting friend... a lifetime I bet! I think I found a micro in a guardrail sometime this year... not sure but who cares. Now put that same micro near a war memorial or another really impressive location... I'll remember the location, the micro not so much. Gimme 1km + and forest trail and a water feature... you get a really long log detailing how much I enjoyed it. Gimme a micro near nothing.. that's what you get.

I know others like micros, and that is fine... they do have a purpose especially for those that cannot do big hikes and such... I don't intend to prevent those people from caching, do you?

:D BQ

Mmmm, lets see. Today I did a short hike of .12 mile and saw some great wildlife and my family enjoyed it with me. Two weeks ago I took a 5 mile kayak ride in the pacific ocean by myself. I saw lots of great wildlife and enjoyed it. A couple months ago I took a twelve mile hike in the flatlands of Oregon, I saw some great wildlife and enjoyed myself. Yesterday I took a short 200 foot walk from my car, saw some great gardens and took some great pictures of my granddaughter and enjoyed myself.

Looks like there is enough variety for anyone and I enjoy myself. Guess I will not let someone who has only been a member for a few months and hasn't found or hidden any caches get my undies tied up in a knot. Sometimes you just have to ignore the gruff voices coming from under the bridges.

Mmmm, lets see. Today I did a short hike of .12 mile and saw some great wildlife and my family enjoyed it with me. Two weeks ago I took a 5 mile kayak ride in the pacific ocean by myself. I saw lots of great wildlife and enjoyed it. A couple months ago I took a twelve mile hike in the flatlands of Oregon, I saw some great wildlife and enjoyed myself. Yesterday I took a short 200 foot walk from my car, saw some great gardens and took some great pictures of my granddaughter and enjoyed myself.

Looks like there is enough variety for anyone and I enjoy myself. Guess I will not let someone who has only been a member for a few months and hasn't found or hidden any caches get my undies tied up in a knot. Sometimes you just have to ignore the gruff voices coming from under the bridges.

:D Plus they could make a mystery cache to do what they like. They just have to start the thing off at a set of coords that require the use of a GPS so they comply with the guidelines. So they should stop complaining and start doing.... :D

Ok ....I respect and appreciate all replies.

I'm just curious as to what happened to real trekking...or as we used to know it as,orienteering.

I must say that driving around in a vehicle,munching on a Mac,swilling a Tim's double double and watching a GPS is not my idea of getting out into the wide open spaces but c'est la vie!

I have two or three locations picked for caches and will be getting them set up soon...(do I have you interested now?)..that will require going on foot to find them.....the old fashioned way without any precise longs and lats listed except the ones to be reported by the first to locate them.They will be in completely safe areas but pack a lunch..you may be looking for awhile but I'll try to make the venture worth it!!

I'll make the first one really easy to find in a semi-remote area of Lunenburg Co,it should be in place by next weekend.

lvpwx

If you want a trek in NS you need to find all of the geocaches on the way to the end of Cape Split. And the ones hidden in Cape Chignecto Park. Even the 4km trek up the Gaspereau River was a great hike. The caches are not easy to find even with the "exact" coordinates. There are lots of great "trekking" caches in NS. Sibley Stone also sounds like a great cache. You just need to select your caches with a 3 or higher terrain difficulty - that's what the ratings are for.

Happy Caching,

Donna G

You,sir,are an a**!! 'Nuff said.

Sometimes, the fact that we allow people to sign up, with no knowledge and no qualifications, and allow them to post garbage on our site, does backfire on us. :lol:

Generally, this is not true. Occasionally, caches are "hidden in plain sight". Should you ever choose to try this hobby, you'll be sure to discover this.

you drive around in a car with a GPS unit until you find one that's been posted on the site and that's it!!!Where is the fun in that?

That doesn't sound like much fun. In fact, I think you'd have to be a bit of a moron to cache like that, but suit yourself.

Once upon a time,it meant trekking through the bush with a compass and a map to find the 'treasure'.

Not true. Once again, as throughout this post, as well as all of your alleged apologies, which simply add more insult, you show your ignorance. This is kind of like saying, "What's the fun of flying to Europe for a vacation? In the 'olden days', explorers used to get a big wooden ship and just set out on the ocean, hoping to find a new land". Different things, entirely, even though both involve traveling from one place to another.

Actually, we do know how to use those tools. Sometimes we even incorporate them in our hobby, just as a change. Of course, one would actually have to do some research and do some caches, in order to discover this.

'Tis sad,for sure.....IS anybody willing to do it the old fashioned,fun WAY?...or are you all too 'technologically advanced' for that?
Once you've used technology for a while, you'll discover many things. For example, geocaching is ALL about using a GPS to find something that is hidden, whether it is in a parking lot or on the side of a cliff. After using your new-fangled computer for a while, you'll discover that on the internet, when one posts on forums, it is usually a really good idea to know what you're talking about, before spouting off your big mouth and insulting hundreds of thousands of people that you know nothing about, who are enjoying doing something that you know nothing about.
I'd be interested in hearing from REAL trekkers.....I don't have a problem with posting the general area of the cache,but longs and lats???
We have many REAL trekkers. My friend and I just did a 27km trek. Again, one finds these things out by doing it... sometimes even just by ASKING questions, rather than making ignorant accusations.

Nothing, at all. It just rarely has anything to do with geocaching. Sounds more like orienteering or the newer version of that - letterboxing. Many people do those hobbies as well, but most geocachers find them less challenging and less enjoyable. We'd be happy to hear you had turned your expertise in that direction.

Catch my drift?
Yup! Catch mine?
That should be easy. Apologise for your ignorance and rude attitude, do some research and jump on board. You may even turn out to have some great ideas for caches. First, buy or borrow a GPS and try geocaching. In fact, before you buy a GPS, try it your way. Jump in your car and drive around aimlessly, until you see a cache lying in the open! Then come on the site and try to find out what cache it is and where it is posted on the site, and log it as a find! :) Good luck!

Edited by lvpwx

This is the first I checked my post for awhile and.....

This childish,yuppie foolishness doesn't interest me in the least.I certainly won't be looking for any 'caches',especially in parking lots.

That's just too funny,in it's own way. :)

Have fun,kids....make sure you don't loose sight of the vehicle on your ventures.In case you do,make sure your cellphone is charged up in case you have to call Daddy to blow the horn.....and please be sure to pack a lunch for those long 1K walking ventures. :D:D:D

A note to whoever/whatever wrote it...Nope,not a TROLL here,just someone who's been trekking a hell of a lot longer than you,no doubt,and is not afraid to go into the deep woods. :lol:

Geez....it sure doesn't take much to get the yuppies in an uproar!!! :):(:)

Edited by lvpwx

Good for you....I'm not looking for a button in a can.

BTW..what is 'muggled'?Is that like another way of saying 'compromised' but using Harry Potter-ish 'movie/fantasy' lingo?

All I can say to that is,'Beam me up,Scotty!!'

We don't drink Tim's double, double while caching, usually at the end of the day we think we've earned a Slurpee at least.

I see by your profile that you have neither found or hidden any caches, so I don't know where your geo-caching experience comes from.

We've have found 179 caches and they are from the size of a nano (thanks Sunny-K) to a five gallon bucket hidden in the Frank Slide. Lately we are finding more micros because that is what is hidden now. We have driven within meters of some of the caches we've found. We've hiked anywhere from a few hundred meters to an 8 km round trip (51/2 hours) up Table Mountain which also had an elevation gain of 760 meters and there are some that we use our quads to drive into the area. Some of the caches we've found take us to a landmark and then we're given a compass bearing that will take you to the cache, for these we've used both GPSr and compasses to find. One of the caches lately we've had to contend with a rattlesnake and one of the caches we've hidden was muggled by a wild animal who was kind enough to leave his teeth imprints in the container.

We have 8 caches hidden, one you can drive you're drive to within a couple of hundred meters of, one you have to wade the Milk River which can be knee deep or chest deep with water (depending on the season), one I was told was buried . . . she finally found it and it isn't. The last five that take either hiking, quadding or a 4x4 vehicle, that you don't mind scratching, to get to.

Yesterday I read a bumper sticker at someone's web site, "Give blood become a geo-cacher." Sometimes this is a very true statement. So until you find one or two caches please don't pass judgement on something you don't understand.

Edited by lvpwx

Just in case it didn't come through the first time....YOU,SIR,ARE AN a**!!!

Seriously. :lol::)

Sometimes, the fact that we allow people to sign up, with no knowledge and no qualifications, and allow them to post garbage on our site, does backfire on us. :)

Catch my drift?
Yup! Catch mine?
That should be easy. Apologise for your ignorance and rude attitude, do some research and jump on board. You may even turn out to have some great ideas for caches. First, buy or borrow a GPS and try geocaching. In fact, before you buy a GPS, try it your way. Jump in your car and drive around aimlessly, until you see a cache lying in the open! Then come on the site and try to find out what cache it is and where it is posted on the site, and log it as a find! :( Good luck!

I am so glad you find it amusing because I do too.And you are right,Mr.Smarty Pants,this doesn't meet my high standards.

Thanks anyways,it's always nice to hear from another idiot.

I must admit I have come back to this post a few times because I really get a chuckle out of it. It's kind of like saying "When we were kids we tightened our roller skates with a key and that's how we liked it! Now it's been ruined with rollerblades and heelies!!" You really are talking about two different things here--geocaching and orienteering. I have found the nano in the parking lot, and I have also kayaked to one which was, between paddling and hiking, an all day round trip for one cache. I thought I would take a look at the caches you have done to see what caches gave you such a harsh opinion of our game. Now, unless I am looking under the wrong profile, you haven't got any finds listed. I don't claim by any means to be an expert on the game, but at least I went out and gave it a shot. If you do ever decide to try caching, choose the cache that interests you. There are thousands of different ones out there. I'm sure one, at least, will meet your high standards.

I think this is where I close this topic with a reference to the Forum Guidelines.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Thank you and Happy Geocaching!