D.Boone kilt a bar ..

Just like in the book of danial boone and his famous carving in a tree i thought this would be a neat idea for a cache..instead of having a log in your cache, place your cache close to a big ole truncked dead tree and have the finders carve thier initals in the trunk instad of signning a log..this would realy puzzle local hunters in the woods of why so many people come to this place in the middle of the woods..

When you submit your cache and check the box that says you read the guidelines, you may find yourself in a bit of a pickle (mmm, pickle):

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#offlimit

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):
  • Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method.

Might just go ahead and include a logbook, eh? ^_^

Aidens cachers,,the property is private and the tree is dead,,it aint no more defacing property than when you kill grass by walking on it to the cache..the owner is my uncle and he gives permission..you can even camp there and burn the dead wood around on the ground, much less carve initals in a fallin dead tree..so i guess its agin the rules to carve on a fallin log befor you throw it on the camp fire..LOL..

Edited by team lagonda
Aidens cachers,,the property is private and the tree is dead,,it aint no more defacing property than when you kill grass by walking on it to the cache..the owner is my uncle and he gives permission..you can even camp there and burn the dead wood around on the ground, much less carve initals in a fallin dead tree..so i guess its agin the rules to carve on a fallin log befor you throw it on the camp fire..LOL..

The key is to make sure the permission issue is marked clearly on the cache page, as well as in the reviewer note you post when submitting the listing. Be sure to provide contact information for the person that gave you permission to hide there since it's private property.

With permission, such issues are usually a reason for an exception (which is why they're guidelines not rules). Again, make sure it's clear to the reviewer otherwise it may not go through as easily as it could with full disclosure.

:blink:

P.S. In cases where the "the tree is dead" excuse is used, for example in a park, the guidelines are upheld, because the next knucklehead copycat will do it with a live tree. :unsure:

Would there be a big sharp knife in the cache container...?

Nope, that's against the guidelines as well: :blink:

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache.

It's called sarcasm. :unsure:

Use your common sense in most cases. :blink:

Do you think that just maybe, this cache would generate a lot of negative opinion from the geocaching community? As one who grew up in Kentucky, not far from Dan'l Boone's statue, I can appreciate the humor in your proposal. But I doubt that you'll be the most popular girl at the dance if you try to implement it.

Jeep guy..negative opinion ? for what ? desicrating a piece of firewood ? lol....also,refer to the post above yours..certianatly i hope your not one of those who write on paper or worse cut paper with sissors..you know where paper comes from..lol....OH,,the humanity..lol....

Edited by team lagonda

Just like in the book of danial boone and his famous carving in a tree i thought this would be a neat idea for a cache..instead of having a log in your cache, place your cache close to a big ole truncked dead tree and have the finders carve thier initals in the trunk instad of signning a log..this would realy puzzle local hunters in the woods of why so many people come to this place in the middle of the woods..

Sounds very similar to this guy's idea

I have a problem with caches on private property that violate the guidelines with permission. They could give other hiders, especially new ones, the idea that it's ok.

Sure, you could put a disclaimer on the cache page saying that you have permission from Groundspeak and the owner of the property, but how many people do you think will pay attention to that? What they see is what's in front of them - a cache that seems new and cool that they may want to replicate.

It's just enough of an issue that I don't think that it's worth it.

Dan'l Boone, kilt a bar

Needed him some fur to war

So he wouldn’t be so bar

Campin' in his underwar

Dan'l's Garmin got him thar

Out deep in the woods so far

Had a jar, some beads to spar

Hid hisself a Gee'-cache thar

Fer finder's names, a tree wuz thar

(Spiral pads them days wuz rar)

Figgerd the ‘pprover wouldn’t car

That there wuz no paper thar.

Hiz cache with tree-fer-log affar

Got ree-jected, to his despar,

Poor D. Boone wuz unawar

Of the Guide Lines. Said "AH SWAR!"

Dan’l shouted "THAT’S NOT FAR!

I got nothin' to compar!

Got no int-net in mah lar

Just these lice-bugs in mah har!"

Now his issue's in the glar

Of the Forums, all laid bar

Said "This trouble, ah dee-clar,

Started ‘cause ah kilt that bar!"

Ambrosia,,dont think anyone could copy it on public lands becauce it would never be approved there..also,,KBI,,where exactly does it say in the rules ya caint carve yer name on a peice o fiarwood ?..lol..i mean that thar seems ta me alot nicer,n then trapesin all over creation tramplin the native vegitation,,squashin bugs under yer feet an scarin h#ll outtin all the local wild critters n such..lol..

Edited by team lagonda

I like the idea - very creative - and that is what I like to see in a cache.

As far as the community not receiving it - who cares - if they don't like it they don't have to find it. And if worse comes to worse and you have to archive it - you haven' lost much.

I say make sure you include on the reviewer note that you have permission - but something on the cache page -(like has been talked about).

Go for it - it would definitely be one I remembered.

Ambrosia,,dont think anyone could copy it on public lands becauce it would never be approved there.

Dont sound to bad, and if it is aproved by a reviewer then it was obviously ok.

Not if the Reviewer didn't know when they listed the cache. People can bury caches (or violate other guidelines) and not say anything to the Reviewer.

Well of course you agree! Its your idea and post. :mad:

Dont sound to bad, and if it is aproved by a reviewer then it was obviously ok.

Not true.

1) Reviewers publish a cache listing, not approve it.

2) We don't always know what the cache is when publishing it. If we find out what the cache really is, and it violates the guidelines, it will be archived.

Don't assume that because a cache is listed on geocaching.com it meets the guidelines. Read them first, and if you have any questions, ask so you're not disappointed if it doesn't get listed.

I placed a cache near a tree in Eagle Creek Park, Indianapolis, that has an inscription on it that is credited to be Daniel Boone's. The cache had to be archived when the park changed it's caching policy, and when I tried to comply and have it relisted, they said no, becasue that poor tree was a danger to passing hikers (it was right on the trail's edge) and they took it out shortly after it was archived. There used to be a plaque at the tree to tell of it's history, but it was stolen (or just fell off, depending on who you talk to.) The park service said they were planning on preserving the inscription part of the tree and putting it on display in the nature center. Don't know if they did that or not. here are pics of the tree and the inscription:

Daniel Boon's Graffiti

The ancient beech tree:

7d8da6c0-0302-488f-9a30-cb8c8445d245.jpg

The inscription:

1d38eb20-1b19-4054-84d2-3e7b173591d9.jpg

what the heck is that "inscription" supposed to be?

Here is the cache description from the cache page:

In the early 1800's, according to the Eagle Creek Park office and Nature Center, Daniel Boone carved his name in this beech tree.

The inscription is nearly gone now, owing to this tree's surrender to rot and weather. But with a little imagination, you can still make out the 'D Boo-' and the outline of a bear's foot carved within a circle. The Nature Center told me there was once a plaque here, but that it (depending upon which person you talk to) was either stolen or simply fell off. One person said that it originally said 'Daniel Boone kilt a b'ar here.' Another said that it was just his initials, and the shape of a bear's paw inside the circle. The legend is that he killed a black bear at this spot, and then carved the tree to warn other travelers that there were bears in the area. No longer a threat today. Too bad.

Whether it was really Daniel Boone's inscription is debatable among those who debate such things. Some Boone buffs say it's too far north for him to have done it, and that the tree is too young, not nearly the 200+ years old that it would need to be. Others say that Boone definately walked this region, and that the tree is plenty old enough. Come and see for yourself.

The cache IS NOT in the Boone tree. The tree is distressed enough, and I didn't want alot of people digging around in its rotting base. The cache, a 1 qt thermos jug, is nearby. Please keep it well covered, as it is quite near a busy trail.

I think you probably should contact your reviewer and see if this idea is going to fly with him/her before you put much more thought into it.

If you're asking for opinions, though, I think it's a pretty bad idea. We've already got people out there who think geocachers are vandals. The last thing we need to do is give them proof.

If you're asking for opinions, though, I think it's a pretty bad idea. We've already got people out there who think geocachers are vandals. The last thing we need to do is give them proof.

As far as the original idea of the standing dead tree, I'm inclined to agree. All it takes is one do-gooder muggle that doesn't know permision is granted, etc, etc and they go off assuming such is standard practice for all geocaches. Look how persistent the perception of buried geocaches is when there are very few that are and they're actually violating the guidelines.

As for hauling in a log, I'm a bit more on the fence.

wesleykey,,again,,where does t say you cant carve your initals on a peice o firewood ? i,ll simply drag in a 4 foot peice of my own and place it on my uncles property..lthis all seems to me making a peice of work over trivials....

Carving dead wood is very difficult and it would be a pain, even with a chisel.

Now, if you hook up a 200 foot all-weather extension cord from your uncles garage to the 4 foot log, and leave a Dremel kit there - I think it would be a pretty interesting cache.