Help picking a GPS Reciever

New to geocaching. I've done 4 so far using a combination of my friends nuvi and Google earth. After reading, and reading, and calling and waiting I have a few ideas on what I want, but wanted some experienced opinions.

I've decided on going with a Garmin, I want to get one of the devices with the High Sensitivity antennae. That's about as far as I can get without any experience. So my questions are as follows:

1.) Is the electronic compass useful? I know it's not imperative, but if it is helpful I might as well get it.

2.) When Garmin states a device is Geochache ready, what exactly does that mean, and again if it's helpful/easier I will get one that has it.

3.)How much better is the quad-helix antennae on the 60 series?

4.) is the 76 series color screen different from the etrex and 60 series?

I'm leaning twords the 60csx, figuring it has everything so how could I go wrong, plus i could get the maps and use in my car. But if I could just go with the etrex H or gps 60 I could just go buy a unit for the car with the price difference. I don't mind spending the extra bucks, but if it won't make geocaching ANY easier I'd just as soon get the cheaper model.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your help.

New to geocaching. I've done 4 so far using a combination of my friends nuvi and Google earth. After reading, and reading, and calling and waiting I have a few ideas on what I want, but wanted some experienced opinions.

I've decided on going with a Garmin, I want to get one of the devices with the High Sensitivity antennae. That's about as far as I can get without any experience. So my questions are as follows:

1.) Is the electronic compass useful? I know it's not imperative, but if it is helpful I might as well get it.

2.) When Garmin states a device is Geochache ready, what exactly does that mean, and again if it's helpful/easier I will get one that has it.

3.)How much better is the quad-helix antennae on the 60 series?

4.) is the 76 series color screen different from the etrex and 60 series?

I'm leaning twords the 60csx, figuring it has everything so how could I go wrong, plus i could get the maps and use in my car. But if I could just go with the etrex H or gps 60 I could just go buy a unit for the car with the price difference. I don't mind spending the extra bucks, but if it won't make geocaching ANY easier I'd just as soon get the cheaper model.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your help.

You will get a lot of different opinions. I own a 60CSx and my 2000 vintage GPSV. My two cents worth ...

Items 1 and 2 are nice features but far from necessary to be a successful geocacher.

Many people complain about the electronic compass and barometric altimeter on the "s" models, others insist on their value, there seems to be no middle ground. I find the compass helpful when I'm using the GPS in conjunction with a paper map which is something I've never had to do while geocaching. One thing to keep in mind is the elec. compass is most helpful when you are standing still, once you are moving/walking the GPS compass is as accurate and more stable. My opinion, if you are only using the unit for geocaching, skip the "s" models and save $50.

The geocache feature allows you to mark a geocache symbol waypoint as "found" (changes the waypoint symbol to the open chest) on the unit and helps you keep track of what you have found and when. It is a helpful feature, but far from a "must have." I keep a pen and a sheet of paper folded in quarters in my day pack. I note on the paper that I have found a cache so I can try and remember to log it when I get back to a computer. My system works just fine for me, I don't use the Geocache feature.

Item 3 - the Sirf chip models (like the 60C(s) x and 76C(s)x and other models) have outstanding performance in terms of acquiring and holding a signal in tough conditions. Lost or erratic signals are the most frustrating aspect of using any GPS in any context. I would definitely spend the money to get a Sirf set. You will get much more enjoyment out of your unit. Note: the advanced chip set doesn't make the unit more "accurate" just more "reliable."

Item 4 I can't speak to, I have not used a 76, but my assumption is the screen is comparable to the other units.

The ability of the handheld units to auto route is a great feature and there is no need to buy a separate unit for your vehicle. I would not buy a 60C(s)x without getting City Navigator. The combination of GPSr and nav maps is very useful, and you can easily move the unit from car to car, take it with you on vacation, rental cars and so on. My recommendation: handheld, sirf unit, navigation ready, nav maps. There are several to choose from, I think any would meet your needs.

Good luck!