Can I use City Navigator on the Garmin GPS V ?

WELX2

OK, so I manage to get a Garmin GPS V on ebay for 100 bucks with car antenna and dc/pc cable. Pretty good deal. But, I did plenty of GPSr homework and neglected the software side of things. It only has the Americas Autoroute 1.0 on it which is fine for Geo but poo for travel. It appears I'm stuck spending another 100 or so for better maps.

Enough babel, I am hearing that the city navigator maps are larger than what was on city select. Am I going to have problems with only 19MB mem on this unit?

Thanks

Wayne

welx2

The compatibility chart on Garmin's website shows City Navigator North America as being compatible with the GPS V. ( I own and use a V, but still using the original City Select maps that came with it seven years ago). When CN first came out, Garmin sent me an upgrade offer to convert to CN (which I declined to do).

The NT version will NOT work on the GPS V

You may be able to find a new copy of CitySelect online (Garmin still lists it as a product, but not available for on-line purchase fro their store, not sure what that means)

I also noted that City Navigator 2008 is not listed for the GPS V but is listed for other units (like the 60CSx).

If in doubt, I would call the tech support number at Garmin.

Thanks dog, my biggest concern is the size of the maps. 19 MB is not a lot of space but I guess once you get the hang of loading the right maps it's OK. I did discover on a friends mapsource that you can tell it to grab the maps around your route, very handy. ^_^

Wayne

welx2

Thanks dog, my biggest concern is the size of the maps. 19 MB is not a lot of space but I guess once you get the hang of loading the right maps it's OK. I did discover on a friends mapsource that you can tell it to grab the maps around your route, very handy. :unsure:

Wayne

welx2

You have to be selective about what you download, and with the serial connection it takes about an hour to download the whole 19MB.

I can fit most of the New York metro area in 19MB including SE Conneticut and the eastern counties of NJ.

I travel for business and always carry my GPS with me. I used the V exclusively for over 5 years and it was a great travel companion. With some planning and patience the unit will work fine for you.

A year ago I upgraded to the 60CSx. With a 2Gb card I have the entire lower 48 states.