New laptop doesn't see my eXplorist

Just bought this fancy new Acer laptop with Windows Vista, and I installed the Magellan software from the CD, then connected my 210 gps via the USB cable. A window appeared saying the driver for it was being loaded, then it said it was ready to use. I see a new drive listed as F:, however when I try to transfer a geocache list using the Geocache Manager, an error says it can't find any eXplorists and I should hook one up.

Any ideas what the problem is? Is it a Vista thing? Is there an updated version of the Magellan software online? Couldn't find anything. Thanks for any help.

Just bought this fancy new Acer laptop with Windows Vista, and I installed the Magellan software from the CD, then connected my 210 gps via the USB cable. A window appeared saying the driver for it was being loaded, then it said it was ready to use. I see a new drive listed as F:, however when I try to transfer a geocache list using the Geocache Manager, an error says it can't find any eXplorists and I should hook one up.

Any ideas what the problem is? Is it a Vista thing? Is there an updated version of the Magellan software online? Couldn't find anything. Thanks for any help.

It's been a while, but I thought that the Magellan software that shipped with the eXplorist models didn't fully support everything out of the box. I seem to recall having to download an update and apply it, or to use a multi-step process to communicate with mine at first.

the problem is that vista is not compatible, I have the same problem so I use my home computer and run my mapping from my laptop, I ahve called magellan and they said they have been working on a update or patch to use with vista.

Yeah, I was thinking that had to be it. My old XP system never had issues, and I just today installed the software on a different laptop with XP and all is good.

Anybody wanna buy an explorist? I'm never getting a Magellan again.... :unsure: That is absolutely ridiculous that they haven't designed a Vista patch yet.

Edited by redcoyote12

the problem is that vista is not compatible, I have the same problem so I use my home computer and run my mapping from my laptop, I ahve called magellan and they said they have been working on a update or patch to use with vista.

Yeah, I was thinking that had to be it. My old XP system never had issues, and I just today installed the software on a different laptop with XP and all is good.

Anybody wanna buy an explorist? I'm never getting a Magellan again.... :D That is absolutely ridiculous that they haven't designed a Vista patch yet.

So lets see, it is Magellan fault because Microsoft put out an OS that will not work with software that a third party manufactures, why don't you try point a finger at Micrsoft. This is not the first time a Micrsoft OS has been filled with problems. I will not be the last. I am sure Magellan is not the only company dealing with Microsoft crap. As much as I need a new computer, if I have to deal with Vista, an will wait untill the problems are taken care of.

It's not as if Magellan didn't know Vista was coming. They had time to prepare. The operating system was released in November 2006 and became generally available in January 2007. Magellan surely could have obtained a beta copy of Vista to test their products, given their status as a software developer and hardware manufacturer. Even after the Vista release they have had plenty of time to address compatibility issues. I am sure other companies are having compatibility problems with Vista, but many are not. So I place the blame on Magellan. Microsoft is at the top of the pyramid; they make the operating system that runs all the software. It is the job of the software developers and hardware manufacturers to make sure their software works with the most recent operating system. Magellan is proving itself to be a very shortsighted company.