Cemetery Caches, who likes them?

joranda

I hate the whole concept, and put them on my ignore list.

Everyone is free for there own opioins, but to go as far as to ignore them? I would at least go with the cache is a cahe, and go log it, but your stance is your stance.

If a cacher has no intentions of ever hunting a cache way shouldn't it be put on their ignore list.

The ignore list is a powerful tool. I put just about every parking lot micro, night case and paddle too cache on my ignore list. I also run several other list to hold micros and paddle too caches.

As for cemetery caches, there better be some thought or significance to the cache, just another drive a dump does nothing for me, and IMHO is a detriment to the game.

OMG! I can't believe there are people who can't believe there are people who would "go so far as to ignore a cache". I've done it over 300 times within 40 miles of my home coords (as far as my notifications go out). Believe me, it's easy, just a click of the mouse, and it's ovah. [:D]

I absolutely love cemetery caches, and I've seen very few drive-n-dump "just because" caches in cemeteries. And I really don't think it's going to happen since the famous South Carolina incident, the reviewers just scrutinize cemetery caches too much these days.

I hate the whole concept, and put them on my ignore list.

Everyone is free for there own opioins, but to go as far as to ignore them? I would at least go with the cache is a cahe, and go log it, but your stance is your stance.

If a cacher has no intentions of ever hunting a cache way shouldn't it be put on their ignore list.

The ignore list is a powerful tool. I put just about every parking lot micro, night case and paddle too cache on my ignore list. I also run several other list to hold micros and paddle too caches.

As for cemetery caches, there better be some thought or significance to the cache, just another drive a dump does nothing for me, and IMHO is a detriment to the game.

OMG! I can't believe there are people who can't believe there are people who would "go so far as to ignore a cache". I've done it over 300 times within 40 miles of my home coords (as far as my notifications go out). Believe me, it's easy, just a click of the mouse, and it's ovah. [ :D ]

I absolutely love cemetery caches, and I've seen very few drive-n-dump "just because" caches in cemeteries. And I really don't think it's going to happen since the famous South Carolina incident, the reviewers just scrutinize cemetery caches too much these days.

I ignore caches all the time too. It is a very handy feature! :D

I love cemetery caches. My favorite is in Valhalla, NY http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a0-791883d7dc18

Even if I am a Red Sox fan. Plus if you read the log page, after this cache you can go down the road and see Lou Gehrig's grave. These cemeteries have very famous people buried here among them, Ann Bancroft, Tommy Dorsey, Danny Kaye and Sal Mineo. If you're really into cemeteries there is a good web site http://www.findagrave.com/index.html where you can look up famous and not so famous people. Lot's of stories in every cemetery.

One of my favorite caches to date was a cemetery cache. A cacher in my area of MN got the permission of the cemetery and placed it in the woods behind it. It is archived now but it was cool. You had to go at night as the cords he gave were a trail that went into the woods. You then followed a reflector trail and found a shed in the woods. You came around the back corner and there was a board missing in the shed so naturally I looked through the board and I jumped back. Because my light fell on a skellington in the Corner of the building. wow

oh and come to find out later the woods are part of the cemetery. cool.

I totally understand how some people would not want to do cemetary caches.. My husband and I actually like them, we have always been ones to go look at headstones and see when people died, if they were in the military, etc. I have found 2 caches in cemeteries, one was at a potters field, the other was in a cemetary that had alot of history. I had never known we had a potters field in our town, and there were people buried there as late as 1980, and for the other one, there is a historical marker there and in reading it I thought it was pretty amazing.

There was an interesting show about cemeteries on PBS last week by the same guy that did a show on sandwiches. In Atlanta (I think) they have a program that has dance, art and drama in the cemetery. The plots have all been sold since before 1900, so to get people to come thay started the arts program.

There was an interesting show about cemeteries on PBS last week by the same guy that did a show on sandwiches. In Atlanta (I think) they have a program that has dance, art and drama in the cemetery. The plots have all been sold since before 1900, so to get people to come thay started the arts program.

I personally like cemetery caches. I try to be respectful and I mind where I walk as not to trample anything.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen a young child's tombstone and thank the man upstairs for keeping my family healthy.

Just the other day I saw a pink tombstone and saw that the little girl, who was buried a year ago, had passed at the age of 5. Saw a bunch of little toys around her site. I righted the ones that had fallen over, cleaned the debris up and said a little prayer for her.

NO I WAS NOT CRYING...I got a little dust in my eye.

I personally like cemetary cache's. They have taken me to cemeteries that I never knew existed. People buried in these cemeteries would not appreciate being forgotten. They have all contributed to society in one way or another. (My opinion) They should be remembered by ALL. If it takes a cache being placed in one to make awareness of their resting grounds...so be it. I am currently in the process of making a series of cemetery cache's. As long as fellow cachers are respectful I see no problem in it.

I enjoyed a cache I found today. There was no cache IN the cemetery, but I was given a set of coordinates, and at that place was a certain tombstone. I had to put coordinates in my GPS based on the death date of the male, and the birth date of the female. It was like "subtract 1644 from the date of death of Abigail Hobarth and add the result on to the West coordinates". It was fun, and I found myself wandering around wondering about the people, (It was a really old cemetery). No cache, a history lesson was provided, (a man was hung there) and I was sent on my merry way to the real cache. Very respectful I think.

We did one like this recently. It was a multi around a town we were visiting and the coordinates took us to a small church yard where we had to find the last resting place of a member of a well known family, then do some calculations based on that person's dates.

The clue didn't say whose grave it was but when we saw the name on the stone we knew we had got it right.

It was interesting to find the grave of someone moderately famous in a place that we didn't expect.

I've stumbled upon one cemetery cache within the last year, and It was NOT pleasant..... i was caching by myself WAY back in the backwoods, and was WALKING on headstones covered in pine needled before i realized i was in a cemetery..... CREEPY and NOT fun...... i think they should be labeled... if i knew i was going to one, i'd be ok with it....

I was wondering what the general concensus was on this topic. I am new to geocaching, 3 weeks into my new hobby and I love it. I live in Charleston, SC. There is a very old and historical cemetary in the downtown area that I would love to post a virtual cache. There is presently one there now. I think it would invite people to an unexplored place for the historical significance and would hope that one doesn't view it as disrespectful. After all there is an annual Confederate Ghost Walk in this cemetary.

I think that cemetary caches would be pretty cool as long as they are respectful. There's one near me that I've thought about creating a cache for. It's a really old cemetary that is no longer attached to a church.

I do not think virtuals are allowed anymore but maybe a micro would be nice.

I am with the majority and do like cemetary caches. I am very respectful of the cemetaries when I enter them, read a few headstones, read the historical marker and really learn alot about my community. I have learned more about the area I live in through cemetary caches and how it began than anything else. I am from Houston and because of cemetary caches, I have found myself picking up books on the pioneers of our area and different battles which took place etc. I take my kids to cemetary caches and teach them to be respectful while they are in the cemetary, and they are. They have learned to respect our ancestors from the past.

I want feedback, but please no attacks. I have two POW coins and would like to set up a small cache in our Veterans Cemetary. The coins are very special to the owners and they would like for the coins to travel around areas where the military is observed. Does anyone know if it is ok to set up a cache in a military cemetary? Please, no attacks, just a yes or no. I am approaching my plant as being very respectful and in no way disrespecting our military. I am very proud of them so proud, I would like to set up a special cache where people can go and see how many people gave up their lives for us.

Edited by georeynozos

Depends totally on the cache and the location. An LPC in a cemetary is still an LPC.

I would prefer a varied hiding technique, a bit of a challenge, or a touch of interesting history along with the cache. However, hiding on graves, markers, or mausoleum structures is strictly not cool. Nor would any hide that encourages finders to climb on these items, or that could cause damage to any part of the cemetery or plantings. We should only go there as guests, very respectable guests.

I think that cemetary caches would be pretty cool as long as they are respectful. There's one near me that I've thought about creating a cache for. It's a really old cemetary that is no longer attached to a church.

I do not think virtuals are allowed anymore but maybe a micro would be nice.

I was definitley going to do it as a micro. Just gotta figure out a good way to do it.

My opinion is to only have caches in older cemetaries and think about the cache before you place it. I've done 3 cemetary caches this year and one is literally in a stone wall. DON'T DO THAT!!! The stone wall will be demolished in a short period of time by cachers. Another no no in my opinion is placing the cache close to a grave. There is usually plenty of places to hide a cache beyond the graves. I feel that they should also be easy to find so that your not wandering back and forth for an hour when someone wants some time alone with a loved one. Call me morbid if you like. I love to visit these old sites and I love to see the weathered stones of the past. It shows that we can have some permence past our own mortality. I wander the rows and I don't purposely walk on the graves themselves. I also had the job of mowing cemetarys at one time. Someone has to do it. Just be respectful and pay some respect to a complete stranger sometime. Maybe even pull a name off of a headstone and learn about that person and what they did in there life. A graveyard isn't a dead end. Swizzle