Worst cache containers found

Early on we found a cache that had a fake hand grenade sitting beside the cache container and bloodied up fake fingers and stuff wired up in the brush near the container (we're pretty sure they were fake) and if I remember correctly a disemboweled doll laying nearby. Probably against the rules but we were kinda new and someone put a lot of work into it :D

Worst I've found. Easily a Listerine breath strip container jammed into a rock wall at a college. It had a putty like substance inside that I assume to have been the log. I managed to put an "x" on it, put it back, and logged the find. Added a not terribly flattering log to match the last few logs. It wound up archived soon after.

hairball

Oh wow, the fake hand & explosive device is great! Put that near a bridge and the bomb squad will be there fer shure.

Reading through this thread reminded me of a cache I found years ago when I was a reviewer. It was not approved since it was in a National Park in New Mexico. I was driving through the area and I had the coords loaded meaning to pick up the geo-trash. Sure enough, it was trash. The container was a Gatorade bottle with the label torn off. The "logbook" was one of the park info flyers from the park office stuffed in the bottle.

Should I have logged it as a find even though it was never published? :D

Worst container I've ever found:

45fb3584-b4f8-47e6-9845-9cae002011d1.jpg

A jumbo Kinder Surprise container. Spray paint flaking off. HANGING OFF A TREE in very plain sight (what, were muggles supposed to think this was some kind of fruit?) Just beside the street. Behind the Beer Store. In downtown Ottawa.

Well, as one logger put it, it's amazing how people don't pay attention to their surroundings. Months later, it's still there!

Check out the logs for GC1CCT8, they're quite entertaining.

Worst cache I've never found: I was with a group of people including kids, and we walked into the back corner of an absolute dump. Ahead of us, 20 meters away, was the cache, but we were standing on the edge of a swamp with head-high grass, trees, and thick brush. We were standing ON private property. Behind us was a wall of parked school buses, in front of us was a flat bed PILED high with rusty car parts. We dared not continue. We wondered if there was maybe another approach we missed, one that was more public and had a trail -- nope, this was the intended approach. Through a garbage dump on private property. No thanks.

Edited by GreyingJay

I've seen a few. One was a real cheap Bic pen, that barely had any room for the log, and I'm real suprised that they were able to even get the ink tube out. It was just stuck in a fence, near a group of dorms at the college I go to. I had a muggle resident ask me what I was doing while signing the log. It's been archived now. Another one was the kind of small cheap container that you get out of one of the toy dispensers at many grocery stores. I'm suprised that it held up to the weather. The owner of both has a poor reputation amongst the local cachers.

Wow I feel lucky after reading this thread. I've seen a lot of different cache containers but nothing as weird as some of the stuff mentioned in this thread, a plastic bag wrapped in camo tape?! What is wrong with people? I think I found a plastic bag once, but that was because someone took the container but left all the swag in the bag.

Plastic baggies wrapped with Camo tape are called "Slim Bob" containers (well, that's what they call them down here).

I've only found a couple but I think I remember someone mentioning they were popular around Jacksonville, FL.

Chapstick containers can be made water proof if cleaned correctly and re-constructed.

Skoll containers can be done the same way (after soaking them in bleach water of course).

hide-a-key containers work pretty good when a baggie is used for the log.

Skirt lifting caches have their place, but lack the finesse of a 5 mile hike into the woods to find a micro attached to a home made tree and covered with moss I guess, but since most of us don't start off knowing how to geocache; skirt lifting in the parking lot of the local Wally World does make for great caches for beginners.

I've seen a few really great caches made out what's been mentioned here.

I've hiked into the woods to find a home made wooden container partially buried in the ground with a couple of the cache containers mentioned here inside the wooden container. I personally thought it was a great use of imagination on the owner's part

If a hide-a-key is stuck to the backside of the caution rail that over looks an awesome scenic view, the the cache owner did what he set out to do - show me something I normally wouldn't have seen if it had not been for the cheap hide-a-key container turned into a cache.

I guess the cache owner could have spent the 15 dollars + shipping to buy a Hide-A-Key Rock versus the 1.99 for the container used.

Wow I feel lucky after reading this thread. I've seen a lot of different cache containers but nothing as weird as some of the stuff mentioned in this thread, a plastic bag wrapped in camo tape?! What is wrong with people? I think I found a plastic bag once, but that was because someone took the container but left all the swag in the bag.

Plastic baggies wrapped with Camo tape are called "Slim Bob" containers (well, that's what they call them down here).

I've only found a couple but I think I remember someone mentioning they were popular around Jacksonville, FL.

I've only seen this once, and I'll say it was a heavily camo-taped baggie, not just one wrap. I actually thought it was kind of neat. No idea how well it held up over time though.

skirt lifting in the parking lot of the local Wally World does make for great caches for beginners.

Not in my world, brotha. :)

A ziplock bag camo taped and wedged under a sign. The worst part is that this cache was hidden deep in a national forest so a tupperware or ammo can could have easily been hidden. On top of this the cache was right next to a gun range that often has Miller Lite cans on the firing line. I don't mind forest micros as long as some one has the gumption to go out and buy a water proof container. Last time I was at Wally world match containers cost 88 cents and spray paint cost a buck 50.

I posted in my log what I found and that I had put the log in a pill container I used to carry new spare batteries in (that keeps the batteries from touching anything metal in my pack and killing themselves). I got a fast reply from the cache owner freaking out and he said he was going to check it and make adjustments as needed. Great guy and he had no idea that it had become just a sheet of paper.

We have had a similar instance. I usually take pictures and send them to owner if i feel the cache isnt the way they wanted it originally.

I got a reply. The owner simply archived it leaving geo-litter. I stopped by about a month later and it was still there under a rock at the base of the tree. That kind of stuff irritates me.

I found an ammo box in the woods though. Filled with swag. Not even wet from sitting outside for the last 4 years archived. I took it :)

I posted in my log what I found and that I had put the log in a pill container I used to carry new spare batteries in (that keeps the batteries from touching anything metal in my pack and killing themselves). I got a fast reply from the cache owner freaking out and he said he was going to check it and make adjustments as needed. Great guy and he had no idea that it had become just a sheet of paper.

We have had a similar instance. I usually take pictures and send them to owner if i feel the cache isnt the way they wanted it originally.

I got a reply. The owner simply archived it leaving geo-litter. I stopped by about a month later and it was still there under a rock at the base of the tree. That kind of stuff irritates me.

I found an ammo box in the woods though. Filled with swag. Not even wet from sitting outside for the last 4 years archived. I took it ;)

Yes, we know.

Worst I've found. Easily a Listerine breath strip container jammed into a rock wall at a college.
Those Listerine breath strip containers are "populous" around here.... I wouldn't say they're "popular"... ::sigh::
Oh wow, the fake hand & explosive device is great! Put that near a bridge and the bomb squad will be there fer shure.
Actually we were amazed this was not busted even though it was pretty far into the woods.... we approached it cautiously for sure. Was a really pretty area and the cache camo theme didn't quite fit in.
Plastic baggies wrapped with Camo tape are called "Slim Bob" containers (well, that's what they call them down here). I've only found a couple but I think I remember someone mentioning they were popular around Jacksonville, FL.
We're south west from Jacksonvilly but they are pretty heavy in the Tampa area, too. Often times they have a magnetic strip on the back and they're clinging to the bottom of an electrical box. Amazed to say I haven't seen any with wet logs so whomever does them must use really heavy duty baggies.

There were some caches in the area that were the old style hard plastic CD cases with a baggie and log sheet stuck inside. No camo tape or paint, just the clear CD case off the side of the trail. About as weather proof as an Altoids tin.

Jeremy banned him from caching

Ya know, Jeremy could make a whole lot of discretionary income by making this particular service available for a fee...

Just sayin' ;)

What service? You mean being able to ban or archive certain caches (or cachers) just because you don't like them for aesthetic reasons?

Be careful what you ask for ...

Jeremy banned him from caching

Ya know, Jeremy could make a whole lot of discretionary income by making this particular service available for a fee...

Just sayin' :)

Thanks for pointing out a little bit of geocaching history CR. That was interesting.

Well, I must say, that was interesting. That location wouldn't even raise an eyebrow these days. :D On topic. Gladware. I'm seeing a lot of gladware lately. Even generic gladware, not even the real stuff. Gladware is bad. :laughing:

t since most of us don't start off knowing how to geocache; skirt lifting in the parking lot of the local Wally World does make for great caches for beginners.

I agree. Sometimes, that's the best that circumstances allow you to hunt. I like most caches and often think how much harder it is to do a good, clever urban cache than to find an empty place in a National Forest and dump an ammo can ... like those, too, but they all have their place.

We live in an area that gets a lot of snow, so in the winter it's in our better interest to stay in town, rather than traipse out in the snow. Works for some, not for all. That's what makes this such a cool sport/activity ... everyone can find their niche.

Cache on!

t since most of us don't start off knowing how to geocache; skirt lifting in the parking lot of the local Wally World does make for great caches for beginners.

I agree. Sometimes, that's the best that circumstances allow you to hunt. I like most caches and often think how much harder it is to do a good, clever urban cache than to find an empty place in a National Forest and dump an ammo can ... like those, too, but they all have their place.

We live in an area that gets a lot of snow, so in the winter it's in our better interest to stay in town, rather than traipse out in the snow. Works for some, not for all. That's what makes this such a cool sport/activity ... everyone can find their niche.

Cache on!

One little joke about caching in the Wally World parking lot (contained within an on-topic post, I might add), and now look what I've done! Please forgive me, Mr. Moose. :laughing:

Worst container so far?

I'd have to say it's a toss-up between two I found in a local park.

One was a shredded plastic baggie stuffed down in and un-capped PVC pipe on the side of a telephone pole. The whole thing was full of water (And yes, the PVC pipe was part of the pole and had a wire coming up out of it that went up the pole).

Just up the trail from that one...was a plastic baggie wrapped in about 8 layers of silver duct tape. The zip-lock part was completely torn and useless so there was no way to seal it up. Oh...and it was on a piece of fishing line NAILED to a tree :laughing:

Not exactly, but...

Although the container was ok (plastic tube with a pop-top), the worst location I've seen was in a cement wall drainage pipe in the middle of what can only be described as a concrete trash dump (100 foot square concrete pad with a solid layer of broken glass and other trash on top) with the cache about ten feet from a homeless encampment. Most of the logs talk about walking through the homeless camp to get to the cache (When I was at GZ cache-in-hand my GPS was still pointing me 40' into the middle of the homeless encampment). When I wrote in my log that the location was lame and suggested the CO move the cache just slightly to the much more scenic boat launch area, the CO responded with a note on the cache page (and several emails) calling me, "A Moron" and chastising cachers in general for their expensive GPSrs and McMansions. He did move the cache though. :P

Carmex lip balm tin. Yup, you guessed it - complete with lip balm residue still in the container. Also, attached to metal using a magnet - and the magnet was not attached to the container.

What's wrong with a carmex container?

Both the plastic ones and the tin ones leak.

The metal ones rust.

Almost the crappiest container out there.

I remember when I got started many years ago cachers would place cache containers in large trash bags. This meant when finding a cache one would be required to dig through decaying leave and slime to get to the cache. These finds were just plain disgusting to deal with.

:D

Yep, don't know how many cookie tins in black trash bags we've found.

Crud on the outside and rusted shut, many were placed by one teaching geocaching to others.