Worst cache containers found

Worst ever for me. 600 miles from home, on a quick trip to SW Michigan, and I had a dozen on my Palm to grab on the in that area. We get to ground zero on one, and after searching for 5 minutes, think it's a DNF. All that's hidden in the bush there is a 12 ounce plastic pop bottle, full of slimy green water. OH! and a pencil!!!! OK, so we put that one in the DNF file on the Palm and head home, another 12 hours drive. I found, when I went to log the DNF that the cache had been archived by the local reviewer, due to some discrediting posts, during our time on the trip. If I remember correctly, at the time I was just angry enough to post a note on it, but I can't remember.

Well, there is something magical about a number of the urban caches in SW Michigan, and by "magical", I unfortunately mean "bizarre"! On my last visit to Kalamazoo, I went caching with a friend, hunting for each of 17 urban caches in Kalamazoo which Sue had picked for me and had downloaded to the GPSr; and this is AFTER I had pre-approved the caches on the list (had read the cache listing pages and okayed each cache based upon the contents of the cache listing page.) Well, of the 17 caches on the list, we simply turned around in disgust and left after arriving at the hide sites of about half of them, as the hides ranged from blatantly illegal to downright stupid. One example: who in their right mind would hide an urban micro in the bushes in a landscaped garden just under the hospital office windows on the grounds of a hospital? On the other hand, we also found some very fine hides as well during my stay in Kalamazoo, some urban and some in wooded areas.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

The worst containers I've seen, in no particular order:

- A beat-up, rusty cookie tin stuck inside an old Ziplock bag. Neither did a good job of keeping the water out, but the rust sure sealed the lid down tight.

- Drink mix container- not a plastic Tang container with a screw-on lid, but a flimsy plastic one with a Pringles-can-style snap on lid.

- For a while, it seemed that Listerine strip containers were the latest fad. I haven't seen any of them in a while. Small wonder.

- A plastic pencil box (like we used to use in elementary school to hold crayons and those dull, rounded scissors) with no baggies to protect the cache contents, slid under a dumpster behind a fast food restaurant. It lasted a whole two weeks.

- A water bottle, like you'd use on a bicycle. They don't even keep your drink in, much less moisture out. And it hadn't been found in over a year.

- Rusty tin coffee can, with cracked lid, in the middle of winter, buried in the ground up to the lid (yes, BURIED). All of the contents were enclosed in a block of ice.

- Margarine container.

- Thermos bottle with a flip-open spout; the spout had been removed and the hole sealed over with a piece of duct tape.

Naw. The two plastic pencil containers that I've foud are still there four years later! Wet, but still there.

Worst ever? A series of three Chinese food containers (the round plastic ones) on the west side of Manhattan. The one we found was level with the ground hidden under a ten pound rock. I called it the 'Smashed Cache'. The owner found one cache, hid three, and disappeared. Two are achived. The third was replaced by a cacher with a more suitable container, and is still there a couple of years later.

Worst ever for me. 600 miles from home, on a quick trip to SW Michigan, and I had a dozen on my Palm to grab on the in that area. We get to ground zero on one, and after searching for 5 minutes, think it's a DNF. All that's hidden in the bush there is a 12 ounce plastic pop bottle, full of slimy green water. OH! and a pencil!!!! OK, so we put that one in the DNF file on the Palm and head home, another 12 hours drive. I found, when I went to log the DNF that the cache had been archived by the local reviewer, due to some discrediting posts, during our time on the trip. If I remember correctly, at the time I was just angry enough to post a note on it, but I can't remember.

Well, there is something magical about a number of the urban caches in SW Michigan, and by "magical", I unfortunately mean "bizarre"! On my last visit to Kalamazoo, I went caching with a friend, hunting for each of 17 urban caches in Kalamazoo which Sue had picked for me and had downloaded to the GPSr; and this is AFTER I had pre-approved the caches on the list (had read the cache listing pages and okayed each cache based upon the contents of the cache listing page.) Well, of the 17 caches on the list, we simply turned around in disgust and left after arriving at the hide sites of about half of them, as the hides ranged from blatantly illegal to downright stupid. One example: who in their right mind would hide an urban micro in the bushes in a landscaped garden just under the hospital office windows on the grounds of a hospital? On the other hand, we also found some very fine hides as well during my stay in Kalamazoo, some urban and some in wooded areas.

hmmm sorry to hear you felt that way about SW MI I know of no cache hidden in the way you described. Next time you are in the area lemme know, I can point you to some of the best ones in the area, if you do come back to this part of Michigan head south of Kalamazoo, we've got some great hiders down this way. I've got several good caches south of Decatur that almost never get any visitors because Kzoo cachers never seem to come down this way.

Recently I noticed a decline in the quality of hides around Kzoo. Some newer cachers have done some crappy parking lot hides/etc that I refuse to hunt. We don't all hide like that in this area!

Edited by Tsmola

I found a plastic water bottle - the kind you buy in a grocery store with water already in it - that had been cut in half and kind of pushed back together. #1 on my list of worst containers I've found. Zero water protection. Zero insect protection.

I think we have a winner!

It's nice to know that geocaching is keeping the landfills from filling up.... ^_^

I have several candidates for nomination, as follows:

First, I have several times found the torn and shredded remains of plastic food containers (particularly candy containers, such as M&M containers) in wooded areas as the only remaining traces of the geocache that we had been hunting. It always amazes me when geocache hiders choose to employ used food containers of any kind as a geocache container. I guess, as my sister always reminds me (she is an educator), due to the laws of statistics, some geocachers are bound to fall on the far left end of the bell-shaped curve for IQ and commmonsense!

Next candidate: while in northern Colorado a couple of years ago, I noticed that a regional trend seemed to be to emplace cheap and leaky Gladware-type containers, wrapped in two or three layers of wet plastic grocery bags, under bushes or under rocks in rural areas. The effect is usually quite gross, as in groady to the max: the plastic bags retain moisture and also become quite moldy, and sometimes food remnants in the bag start to rot as well.

I have once or twice arrived at a cache hide site to discover that the cache container was a ziplock bag (with a torn ziplock seal, of course) stuck inside a wet and moldy plastic grocery bag, usually with the whole mess sitting under a bush. Fascinating!

And, now, for the rest of the story... a word about an anomalous finding, an exception to the rules:

Much as we have already seen above, commonsense tells us not to employ used food containers as geocache containers. And, commonsense usually us not to use metal containers with press-on lids, such as the containers commonly called "cake tins" or "cookie tins", as they not only leak like sieves, but they usually become very rusty within 6 months as well due to the combined effects of moisture and oxygen. Well, that is what common sense tells us, but. . . I must admit that a couple of years ago I was hunting geocaches near Jackson, WY with my friend Greta and when we arrived at the hide site for a cache which had been listed on the GC site for several years, we discovered that it was sited in a flood debris-filled flood plain frequented by many wild animals and located just yards from the Snake River, and that the container was a large used cookie tin sitting out in the open in the middle of a bushy weeded field. From the logbook entries, we were able to verify that the cache had been in place for years, and nonetheless, against all odds, the contents of the cookie tin container were bone dry, and weirder, the container looked brand new, with no rust or corrosion, and it was obvious that the container had never been muggled by animals. Bizarre! We decided that this cache must have its own full-time guardian angel! ^_^

- For a while, it seemed that Listerine strip containers were the latest fad. I haven't seen any of them in a while. Small wonder.

I think actually buying the Listerine strips, and putting them in your mouth was a fad that died off as well. ^_^ True, haven't seen that in a while. They were all legs of multi's anyways, can't remember finding one as a stand alone cache.

I'm told in my area there is an old gameboy cartridge, with the electronics removed, covered with leaves, in a drainage ditch near a busy intersection. I can't confirm or deny this, as it's on my ignore list. On the bright side, it's on public property. ^_^

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I have once or twice arrived at a cache hide site to discover that the cache container was a ziplock bag (with a torn ziplock seal, of course) stuck inside a wet and moldy plastic grocery bag, usually with the whole mess sitting under a bush. Fascinating!

I'm surprised that some of these didn't get CITOed!

I'm trying to remember if I carried anything like these out, after DNFing a cache. ^_^

One of the worst ones I've found recently was a plastic "wipes" type of container (like Lysol Wipes come in) that was hidden in the bottom of a storm water drainage swale under large stones. The rocks smashed the heck out of the plastic container and whenever it rained the container was completely submerged. It was this cacher's first hide, and I think it was a learning experience. His first maintenance log said this:

I dried out the inside and filled the top with paper towels. I also put new bags over all the toys and the log. The log may still be damp.

The second maintenance log (only 3 days and one good hard rain later) consisted of this:

I tried to fix up the container. I ducked taped the to shut.( Duck tape fixes everything)I also put two bags over everything.

Newbies. ^_^

a cache which had been listed on the GC site for several years, ...in a flood plain...wild animals... and just yards from the Snake River,... a large used cookie tin... against all odds, the contents of the cookie tin container were bone dry, and weirder, the container looked brand new, with no rust or corrosion

Maybe the hider has a huge surplus of cookie tins? :blink::unsure:

Some here have my candidate beat: a used Slurpee cup complete with the straw hole open to allow water in. Of course, it was wet and the day we were there it was frozen. We were able to pry open the logbook and stamp it.

We've had our share of run-ins of second and third rate containers, all of questionable durability, but the Slurpee cup took the cake for us.

a cache which had been listed on the GC site for several years, ...in a flood plain...wild animals... and just yards from the Snake River,... a large used cookie tin... against all odds, the contents of the cookie tin container were bone dry, and weirder, the container looked brand new, with no rust or corrosion

Maybe the hider has a huge surplus of cookie tins? :blink::unsure:

Yep, it occurred to me that perhaps the cache owner may make maintenance visits to the cache every month or two to replace the container. That still does not explain how and why the entire cache does not simply float away every time the Snake River overflows its banks a bit and floods that field -- debris in the field seemed to indicate that it is an active floodplain which floods regularly. And the Snake River is hardly a placid little river. Very odd... In any case, this remains the only case where I have ever seen a cookie tin successfully employed and deployed for what seems to have been several years, in a high-risk (i.e., moisture, flooding, wild animals, etc.) setting.

The worst container that I have found, was actually on one of my own caches. I adopted the cache because it was in rough shape, but in a reasonably good location and is one of this area's older caches. I replaced the plastic tobacco tub (very popular here) with an ammuntion box that I had painted in cammo colors. Good so far.

The last finder reported, cache is now in a plastic shopping bag! :blink::blink::unsure:

I have retrieved said cache, and will be replacing the CCC (non ziplocked) shopping bag with a slightly less CCC tobacco tub!

The worst part is, it must have been another cacher that took the can. Anyone else would have either taken everything, or dumped the contents on the ground (or in the garbage) instead of placing it in a bag.

Skisidedown

Bad cache container? Bad idea for a logbook?

How about no container, no logbook?

How about a baseball?

This cache even features a grueling eight-hour round-trip hike -- but there has GOT to be an awesome view from the top (I've actually seen the mountain, but only from the base). It's a beautiful area.

The honor of First Finder is still available. Anyone? Anyone?

At least it is unique! And there is a log to sign. I wonder about the owner's name though - it sounds a little too much like "got you".

Skisidedown.

Not just because it was leaky:

One of the caches that has impressed me the least was the one I once found:

• In a Wal-Mart parking lot
  • Under a lamp post skirt
  • With a magnetic hide-a-key as the container
  • And using the Wal-Mart receipt for the purchase of said hide-a-key as the log sheet .

That's right -- the hider walked into the store, bought a hide-a-key box, walked out to the parking lot, got as far as the nearest lamp post, unwrapped the box from its packaging (this step represented the most effort involved), placed the receipt in the box, placed the box under a lamp post skirt, marked the coords, and drove home to submit his hide.

Actually, as you stated, that's pretty fun in a bad sci-fi movie kind of way.

I've seen a couple bad hides.

- A burlap sack.

- A glass jar with a rusted lid metal lid the wouldn't unscrew off. (hidden in a boulder field)

I just adopted one that was in a cheap, beat-up sandwich container, and a ziploc holding it (and the water) in. It was in pretty poor shape, so I dropped a new container, and started the process.

I've also found a fake rock micro that was on the floodplain for one of the local rivers. Early Spring - needless to say, it was a bit...damp.

But my personal winner:

I was out on a cache run with some friends once and we found an Altoids gum tin, crammed into a hollow part of a tree, that was facing the rain. Somebody had thoughtfully placed the entire works into a very cheap freezer bag, that accepted and held water nicely. We really did try to sign the rust-covered spitwad log, but no-go. It got archived soon after, since at least three of us notified the reviewer (since we couldn't get ahold of the hider). Interestingly enough, the hider re-emerged about 2 months later.

I've got it. The no-contest, this-is-the-worst-cache-container-in-history. A fence hide, similar to a fence-post hide, except this fence had a horizontal piece running the length of the fence about halfway up. The piece was a shaped like an I-beam (like this: |--| ), with holes for the fence's uprights to slide through.

This cache was something--I don't know what--wrapped in about 847 layers of electrical tape and crammed up into the little I-beam piece. It took a pocket knife to pry it out. The top wasn't screw-on, it was held on, sort of, by electrical tape. It contained one sorry, soggy log. I wanted to sign the log 'TNLNSH' (took nothing, left nothing, shook head). But that would have been unnecessarily rude.

Edited by imajeep

Howabout the Lysterine breath -melt-on-your-tongue- strip containers? Velcro it to the bottom of a railing at a park and you're good to go. Guaranteed to NOT be waterproof!

I was gonna mention those two as well - found two in the Phoenix area.

Nothing says "I don't care" like one of these "containers".

I'm having a hard time deciding what my worst was.....

It was one of these:

1) A crumpled up piece of paper hidden under a rock.

2) A Centrum vitamin bottle (with label) under a lamp post cover next to a garbage dumpster with just a crumpled piece of dirty paper inside. I'm thinking that they got the bottle and the log from the dumpster.

3) A wadded up piece of paper crammed behind a plastic sign outside the entrance to a gas station.

4) An actual sprinkler head that someone removed the sprinkler from and put a cap on and crammed a ziplock bag inside. I guess they forgot that water would still fill the sprinkler head...

If your going to use a sprinkler head you have to epoxy the top shut. Of course this will only hold for a short amount of time as cachers are not always considerate when closing it back up.

I found one recently that wasn't too out of the ordinary except for the smell, a rather pleasant grape scent. Seems the local rodents liked it as well as the cap was gone and the baggy had been chewed. It was one of those flavored cigar tubes.

There seems to be a trend in some areas to use a baggie that has been duct taped, usually with a magnet inside but not always. IF the cache is placed back in the correct manner it seems to do ok, but that isn't always the case and these can become rather foul with mold.

well, that should be a cache I've heard of then, Jones isn't too far from home for me.

Ha! I just went through some old GSAK files where I had saved the trip to Jones, and found it. I just now logged my DNF. Not to worry, seems the hider will not be bothering you SW MI cachers any more.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...68-1fe104ed90e8

ah yes, I drove past that cache because I couldn't find a parking place when I remembered it needed maintenance I decided to wait, glad I did!

This one is GREAT! Thank you! I just love the log entry from the cache owner, as follows:

(-) May 2, 2005 by Pupule Eha (1519 found)

Will replace cache within the next few days and have it up and running with a more traditional cache container. Thanks to all who came out to sign "Holiday Treat" before it became smelly.

Aloha for now!!

Pupule Eha

Amazing!

This one is GREAT! Thank you! I just love the log entry from the cache owner, as follows:

(-) May 2, 2005 by Pupule Eha (1519 found)

Will replace cache within the next few days and have it up and running with a more traditional cache container. Thanks to all who came out to sign "Holiday Treat" before it became smelly.

Aloha for now!!

Pupule Eha

Amazing!

34ddf719-e96c-4373-8dfd-12e545c07c1d.jpg

One of there "caches" was placed in my general area, and it really sucked. Fortunately, it disappeared soon after. Pill bottles visible to the public don't last very long.

well, that should be a cache I've heard of then, Jones isn't too far from home for me.

Ha! I just went through some old GSAK files where I had saved the trip to Jones, and found it. I just now logged my DNF. Not to worry, seems the hider will not be bothering you SW MI cachers any more.

Oh my. Go down to the "Maintenance Log" by the cache owner and check out the link for their "Service"....

(NSFW)

Oh my. Go down to the "Maintenance Log" by the cache owner and check out the link for their "Service"....

(NSFW)

Wow!... :blink:

(NSFW)

Naturally curiousity compells me to go look but I don't see anything weird. :blink:

I had to look about 3 times. Lower right hand corner of photo.

Well, yes, the biz cards are indeed one thing, and their content is a bit risque, but there is also the very concept of leaving a handful of business cards as TRADE ITEMS in return for having removed a number of coins (quarters) left as trade items. Amazing!

In that vein, I must admit that I LOVED is the ensuing log entry left a month later by a subsequent finder of the cache and the cards, who CITOed the cards, as follows:

August 14, 2005 by Team Encore (260 found)

Well, this one ranks right down there. I really should have just kept driving when I saw the location, but stopped for the thrill of the hunt. Boyd would've gotten a "thrill" from those business cards had I not spotted them first and removed them - I hate to be rude, but you know children cache with their parents and they don't need to see cards such as those. I didn't know they were the owners' cards - I thought I was *helping* the owner by cleaning up the trash in the cache.

:blink::blink::laughing:

Oh Jeeeez. I'm getting ready to start placing my first caches and am happy to say they don't appear anywhere on this thread! Now if I can just get over the general angst of first cache placement, I'll be good to go.

As for the worst - and yet another ringing endorsement of why Vacation Caches are a bad idea, we found two on Maui in one morning of running around on the north shore. The first was a gladware bottom wrapped in a leaking black garbage bag with a wet log and melty crayons. Covered in those nasty ants that can only be found I think in Hawaii.

The second was even better - a leaking 1 gallon zip lock that someone had kindly stuffed full of mouldy baseball cards. And more ants

The worst of it was that coastline where these atrocities were placed contains some of the most amazingly beautiful views on the planet. :blink:

(NSFW)

Naturally curiousity compells me to go look but I don't see anything weird. :anitongue:

:lol:

Ok, pretty weird indeed, but funny! Obviously not appropriate for caching though.

Edited by wandererrob

How about a baseball?

Can't imagine that will hold up too well...

It's been there for more than two years now without a find.

See, now that makes me want to go find it...

another vote for the no container, container. Just a rolled up log sheet, stuffed into a crack in a wall. nice :anitongue:

Edited by Jhwk

(NSFW)

Naturally curiousity compells me to go look but I don't see anything weird. :lol:

Well, yes, the biz cards are indeed one thing, and their content is a bit risque, but there is also the very concept of leaving a handful of business cards as TRADE ITEMS in return for having removed a number of coins (quarters) left as trade items. Amazing!

In that vein, I must admit that I LOVED is the ensuing log entry left a month later by a subsequent finder of the cache and the cards, who CITOed the cards, as follows:

August 14, 2005 by Team Encore (260 found)

Well, this one ranks right down there. I really should have just kept driving when I saw the location, but stopped for the thrill of the hunt. Boyd would've gotten a "thrill" from those business cards had I not spotted them first and removed them - I hate to be rude, but you know children cache with their parents and they don't need to see cards such as those. I didn't know they were the owners' cards - I thought I was *helping* the owner by cleaning up the trash in the cache.

:huh::anitongue::lol:

Slightly O.T. - but I was curious.....

Is it considered "in poor taste" to leave your business card with your Geocaching name written or printed on it in the cache (provided that it has appropriate content printed on it of course)? I have seen others with their wooden tokens or other such things such as stamps in the log or small sheets of paper pasted in the log to identify the cacher that just made the find. Is a business card considered too much "commercialism"?

Edited by logonwheeler

Slightly O.T. - but I was curious.....

Is it considered "in poor taste" to leave your business card with your Geocaching name written or printed on it in the cache (provided that it has appropriate content printed on it of course)? I have seen others with their wooden tokens or other such things such as stamps in the log or small sheets of paper pasted in the log to identify the cacher that just made the find. Is a business card considered too much "commercialism"?

I'm not quite sure I follow you. Do you mean a geocaching "business" card? Or do you mean a normal business card and you've written your geoname on it?

If the former, then no worries. Lots of people print up and leave calling cards. Some don't like them, others do, but I don't think you'll get too much flak for it.

If the latter, eh. My inclination would be to view it as lame and bordering on geotrash. But that's just my opinion.