I purchased a Garmin StreetPilot 2610

Just got it hooked up yesterday.

100_3532.jpg

100_3531.jpg

anyone have any tips I should know?

Just read your manual from cover to cover. I think the 2610 was the best auto-routing gps Garmin ever made. I think they designed the newer models for the yuppies with the MP3 players and xm radios. I'll never get rid of mine unless I'm absolutely forced to.

I have owned my 2610 since it first was released in September of 2003. I had the Streetpilot III Color before that. The 2610 is the best road GPS I have owned. I have used in coast to coast in the car and on a motocycle in all kinds of weather. I've used it in western Europe, Germany and Italy and never felt lost. I had a problem with moisture breaching the case and affecting the screen last year but Garmin replaced it in 3 days with a new unit. The CF Memory cards are very cheap now and I just put the entire City Navigator North America 2008 Update (not the NT version, won't work with the 2610) on a 2 GB card. Only drawback is that it cannot be battery operated and requires direct power at all times. When I first got it I wondered why one would need a remote when it has a touch screen. Believe me, the remote is way-better to use than the touch screen to the point that I even use it on the motorcycle. When released it sold from GPS City for $860 and I'll bet you paid under $400 - an excellent deal! The best of luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy it for years to come. I use my 2610 to road-route me to caches and then my 60CSx for the off-road portion. It makes for a great combination but, the routing on my 2610 is definitely better because of the optional preferences than the 60CSx even though I have City Navigator North America v8.00 NT for the 60CSx.

I recently bought a Nuvi 660 for my daughter and although it works very well, I still prefer the flat maps as opposed to the new 3-D style and it isn't waterproof.

Best of luck and feel free to ask questions.

Lee, Assonet, MA