Vista HCx v2.30 available...

SergZak

but only via WebUpdater. You can get WebUpdater here.

------------------------------------------------

Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.30:

Fixed Swiss grid issue.

Fixed postcode issue with CNE v.9 NT.

Added hint message when the E-compass of the unit has never been calibrated successfully by user,(Vista HCx only).

Change 'Lithium Ion' text to 'Lithium'.

-----------------------------------------------

So according to the changelog, the WAAS bug has not been fixed, but I have not downloaded or tried the update as of yet.

Edited by SergZak

OK, I have downloaded and installed v2.30 and it appears the WAAS bug has been fixed. But now they have introduced an annoyance. :laughing:

-------------------------------

Added hint message when the E-compass of the unit has never been calibrated successfully by user,(Vista HCx only).

-------------------------------

You now get a hint message telling you to calibrate the compass which seems fine at first. According to the above description, it will prompt you to calibrate if it has never been calibrated. It works that way, but only up to a point. If you calibrate after you get the message, it indeed goes away. But if you turn the compass off -or- turn the unit off and power back on, you'll get the message once again (and again, and again and again...). This may not be much of an issue if you don't have the "compass page" setup in your page sequence. But if you do, you'll hit this message every time you hit the compass page and don't calibrate it. And it will stay on-screen, and on -every- screen you page through until you press enter on the click-stick.

Just a word of warning...

Edited by SergZak

Why they would have fixed the WAAS without writing it in the release notes?

This is the most discussed problem, they got many emails regarding this and instead of telling us it has been fixed they list some changes we were not aware of. Maybe it's not fixed after all... I haven't downloaded it yet.

I wonder if they improved the French language option? Never seen worse.

Why they would have fixed the WAAS without writing it in the release notes?

This is the most discussed problem, they got many emails regarding this and instead of telling us it has been fixed they list some changes we were not aware of. Maybe it's not fixed after all... I haven't downloaded it yet.

I would say that the WAAS bug has been corrected based on my numerous power cycles, but I could be wrong. If the WAAS bug didn't bother/affect you (as it didn't really affect me since I seldom had it enabled), I would stay clear of v2.30 and just stay at v2.20 just because of the annoyance of this new persistent 'calibrate compass' hint/feature. I don't know if I made it clear that it comes up even if you have the compass turned off. :(

I would say that the WAAS bug has been corrected based on my numerous power cycles, but I could be wrong. If the WAAS bug didn't bother/affect you (as it didn't really affect me since I seldom had it enabled), I would stay clear of v2.30 and just stay at v2.20 just because of the annoyance of this new persistent 'calibrate compass' hint/feature. I don't know if I made it clear that it comes up even if you have the compass turned off. ^_^

I upgraded this morning and have powered on and off several times. I have yet to get the compass calibration message?

My Vista HCX arrived today. It came in a box from Offroute. I did not have the problems that others mentioned with dust. It came loaded with software version 2.20. As others have noted, mine also had the WAAS issue I updated it using the webupdater link. I also tried downloading version 2.30, using the link directly to the update but the download was unusable. The webupdater resolved the WAAS issue and did not give me the compass issue. I have not had the power issue that someone else noted. I wonder if that problem is related to the option of turning the GPSr when disconnected from the USB.

I upgraded this morning and have powered on and off several times. I have yet to get the compass calibration message?

Can you do me a favor and test this out? With the unit on and the compass on, turn off the compass and then go to the compass page. Do you get the reminder message? With the compass off, turn off the unit. Power the unit back on and go to the compass page. Do you get the reminder message?

As I'm seeing it, this works fine as long as the compass is on and you shut down the unit with the compass on. However, the message keeps popping up when the compass is turned off and you hit the compass page.

Can you do me a favor and test this out? With the unit on and the compass on, turn off the compass and then go to the compass page. Do you get the reminder message? With the compass off, turn off the unit. Power the unit back on and go to the compass page. Do you get the reminder message?

As I'm seeing it, this works fine as long as the compass is on and you shut down the unit with the compass on. However, the message keeps popping up when the compass is turned off and you hit the compass page.

On my unit, the reminder only is displayed when the compass is off when the unit is turned off and then on again. Not a problem for me. In fact it isn't a bad reminder to have considering I travel a lot and should recalibrate the internal compass in any new location anyhow.

dj

With the unit on and the compass on, turn off the compass and then go to the compass page. Do you get the reminder message?

Yes. However, if the compass is on and I turn it off and turn it back on again without leaving the compass page, the message does not appear.

With the compass off, turn off the unit. Power the unit back on and go to the compass page. Do you get the reminder message?

Yes.

I guess that I spoke too soon. It appears that the screen appears whenever the compass is off and I scroll to the compass page. If I push enter, the reminder disappears and reappears when returning to the compass page. If I turn the compass back on, the reminder is gone. So, the real question is whether the compass really needs to be calibrated every time the compass is turned off.

Thanks for checking this out for me Dakota Jim and jmundinger. I went ahead and did a hard reset on my unit and still got this behavior which I now see is normal. I still think this option should be user definable since I seldom have my compass on due to the increased power draw and frequently use the unit indoors viewing maps and such. In the mean time, I have removed the compass page from my page sequence to avoid this message popping up every time I hit it.

As I see it, do we really need to be reminded to turn the compass on every time it has been turned off? After all, we were the ones that turned it off in the first place & if we turned it off, there was a reason for it. I dunno, it may just be me but I don't like to be reminded to do something constantly, especially if I don't want to do it in the first place.

Edited by SergZak

This was my 1st update and was afraid I messed up for a few seconds.

The real update part took maybe 1 second but the verifying right after took almost a minute. The screen was showing LOADER and nothing else, no sign of activity on the computer neither. What a long minute it was!

Glad it is ok now because we are going on a week trip and plan to cache go gc a few times.

Did anyone on the Mac get a lot of crashing with the WebUpdater? I have the beta installed, launched it and it said there's a new version and it's not beta anymore. Installed the new version an I kept getting crashes. I finally got it to start updating my unit and then it crashed again. Weird.

It did update but I can only tell because I have the compass calibration warning page now. Where can you find the firmware version? I looked all over in the menus and couldn't fine it.

Thanks for checking this out for me Dakota Jim and jmundinger. I went ahead and did a hard reset on my unit and still got this behavior which I now see is normal. I still think this option should be user definable since I seldom have my compass on due to the increased power draw and frequently use the unit indoors viewing maps and such. In the mean time, I have removed the compass page from my page sequence to avoid this message popping up every time I hit it.

As I see it, do we really need to be reminded to turn the compass on every time it has been turned off? After all, we were the ones that turned it off in the first place & if we turned it off, there was a reason for it. I dunno, it may just be me but I don't like to be reminded to do something constantly, especially if I don't want to do it in the first place.

Just took a hike with HCx. I do think the reminder is a a problem as it showed up at least once after I recalibrated the unit. Suspect it needs a fix also.

So 2 points for SergZak on this one.