Garmin Releases MapInstall software for Mac OSX

Is it really true, did Garmin actually release the Macintosh version of MapSource?

Yes it is real, and it is here.

So I decided to give it a spin and see if it worked. Quick Answer: Yes

First you need to download and install on your Macintosh:

MapInstall (The Macintosh version of MapSource)

http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=3702

You also have to download and install MapConverter to your Windows box (Converts the Windows data to a Macintosh compatable format)

http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=3706

You should read these installation instructions first.

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/08/...-corner-mo.html

Rather than give a detailed description of each step that I took (The above referenced instructions are complete and accurate), I want to give a quick overview.

I had some hiccups with my Windows machine as it was running MapConverter. On two occasions the Windows box, running XP Professional, rebooted as the conversion process was taking place.

I was attempting to convert CN8, Topo (West), and Topo 24k National Parks (West) at the same time. After the two unexpected reboots, I tempered my enthusiasm, and converted each map program separately. That worked fine, and after each map was converted, I copied that file using a 2GB flash drive, and transported the copied file to a G5 Mac running OSX 10.4.10. I uploaded each of the three map file to Garmin MapInstall, the Mac version of Garmin MapSource. I uploaded each file separately.

All three maps appeared in MapInstall and I chose segments from each of the three different maps and installed about 450MBs of map data on to a 1GB SD Micro card that was installed in a 60Cx.

It all worked, and now I am able to use a Mac with a Garmin GPS... there is however one caveat. You still have to access a Windows box to convert the Windows version of MapSource and the associated map files to Macintosh compatible data. I'm assuming that Garmin will eventually provide the ability to install the Garmin map data directly on a Macintosh box without first having to convert the files from a Windows format.

Garmin finally came through, 19 months after they first announced Mac compatible mapping software in January 2006. Better late than never!

Edited by Barrikady

This worked for me too..

I converted my CN 2008, Orlando 7 parks maps, and my Caribean Island maps.

ONE THING I NOTICED, you need alot of free space during the building and compression. I had to clean up some stuff and after 3 treid, i got them all to convert!

Yahoo, Maps on my Mac. Next come Macsource..

Has Garmin said they'll release a Map Source program that is equal to what is on the PC? It appears to only allow one to send maps, not manage way points, etc.

Yes they are. This seems to be part one of it though. It atleast got out the current maps on the Mac. And the Cummuncator plugin is out too!

i just bought a Garmin 60CSx a few days ago. i have an Intel Macbook. i notice the original instructions in this thread talk about a PC being used and having files converted. is this for folks who were using a PC or is this for everyone. in other words, am i still going to need a PC to get my Garmin to work with the solution spelled out in this thread? i just ordered the 2008 navigator maps so i was hoping i'd be good to go without needing a PC that i don't have (other than Parallels and my Parallels installation wouldn't work with my Garmin i5 the other day, so i don't hold out hope it'd work with the 60CSx.

i just bought a Garmin 60CSx a few days ago. i have an Intel Macbook. i notice the original instructions in this thread talk about a PC being used and having files converted. is this for folks who were using a PC or is this for everyone. in other words, am i still going to need a PC to get my Garmin to work with the solution spelled out in this thread? i just ordered the 2008 navigator maps so i was hoping i'd be good to go without needing a PC that i don't have (other than Parallels and my Parallels installation wouldn't work with my Garmin i5 the other day, so i don't hold out hope it'd work with the 60CSx.

I'm afraid you must first install the maps on a PC. After the maps are on the PC, then Garmin MapCoverter must be used on the PC to convert the maps to the Macintosh format.

Sorry to be the bearer of this Bummer information. Hopefully Garmin will soon release the necessary software to load the maps directly on a Macintosh, without first having to install the maps on a PC. You may want to call Garmin's tech help line to find out when you can expect Garmin to release the necessary software to load the maps directly on to a Mac.

Edited by Barrikady

I'm afraid you must first install the maps on a PC. After the maps are on the PC, then Garmin MapCoverter must be used on the PC to convert the maps to the Macintosh format.

Sorry to be the bearer of this Bummer information. Hopefully Garmin will soon release the necessary software to load the maps on a Macintosh, without first having to install the maps on a PC. You may want to call Garmin's tech help line to find out when you can expect Garmin to release the necessary software to load the maps directly on to a Mac.

well, if it's not involving hooking the GPS unit up to the PC then i can probably accomplish the conversion using Parallels on my Mac. i guess i don't mind finally being able to justify installing Parallels as it would now have a purpose. still this is pretty crummy of Garmin to only meet us halfway. granted it's better than not meeting us at all, so i guess i'll just keep my fingers crossed for the future.

Sorry to be the bearer of this Bummer information. Hopefully Garmin will soon release the necessary software to load the maps on a Macintosh, without first having to install the maps on a PC. You may want to call Garmin's tech help line to find out when you can expect Garmin to release the necessary software to load the maps directly on to a Mac.

well, if it's not involving hooking the GPS unit up to the PC then i can probably accomplish the conversion using Parallels on my Mac. i guess i don't mind finally being able to justify installing Parallels as it would now have a purpose. still this is pretty crummy of Garmin to only meet us halfway. granted it's better than not meeting us at all, so i guess i'll just keep my fingers crossed for the future.

Yes, Parallels should work fine. Make sure you have enough free HD space before attempting to do the conversion.

Sorry to be the bearer of this Bummer information. Hopefully Garmin will soon release the necessary software to load the maps directly on a Macintosh, without first having to install the maps on a PC. You may want to call Garmin's tech help line to find out when you can expect Garmin to release the necessary software to load the maps directly on to a Mac.

Acutally, The City Navigator 2008 Update MAPS NT install directly on MAC os on the AUTOMOBILE GPS'r. The is a Mac installation program. NO PC needed :D)))

From the Garmin Blog

Chet's Corner: City Nav 2008 map updates are Mac compatible!

Aug 1, 2007 11:20:34 AM | in Apple/Mac , Automotive , Chet's Corner - Tips and Tricks

Today's post has one sole purpose, to bring attention to the fact that our City Navigator 2008 Mapping Updates are Mac compatible. This means you can update the maps on the device, straight from your Mac, Intel or not. It's just another step in our quest to be fully Mac compatible.

It's actually about as simple as it gets. Here is a walk through of the process:

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/08/...-corner-ci.html

They are updating the firmware for the handhelds right now to be compatible. But these I think are only on the NT versions of the Maps.

Edited by jchiar

for what it's worth, my 2008 NT maps arrived today. i doubled-clicked the install icon on the CD (after inserting it into my Mac). i was using OS X and not parallels. it had me enter my serial number, which i did. 23 minutes later the update on my Garmin i5 was complete. in other words, a PC was not required for this new set of Maps. i imagine the PC is required for the older maps folks here have used in the past, but for new GPSers there doesn't appear to be a need for the PC. i was also able to update my i5 to the latest software version without using the PC.

i know i still have issues for my Garmin CSx as it relates to GeoCaching, but the basic maps and updates are working just swell on a Mac. hooray!

EDIT: i see that this was already mentioned in the post just above mine -- i should have hit refresh. heh.

Edited by jayhawksean

Well hopefully this plugin on geocaching.com will get fixed quick. From Garmin post last week, I installed this plugin for my mac and i am waiting for the sites to get updated..

Try maccaching or Geojournal. I have been testing out Geojournal alot this week and its got a lot of nice features...

Yeah I know, Mapsource is slow, but I honestly think it will be here. Look at all the other Mac stuff they are rolling out :blink:

Has anyone been successful installing maps directly from the full version City Navigator NT 2008 DVD to a 60CSX using Mapinstall 2.0.0.1 beta? I was told by Garmin tech support that installing directly from the DVD from a Macintosh is only supported on units that don't have memory cards such as the Nuvi. According to them it is still necessary to convert the maps first using a PC.

I am contemplating buying it, but since I don't have access to a PC, this is a deal breaker for me.

Has anyone been successful installing maps directly from the full version City Navigator NT 2008 DVD to a 60CSX using Mapinstall 2.0.0.1 beta? I was told by Garmin tech support that installing directly from the DVD from a Macintosh is only supported on units that don't have memory cards such as the Nuvi. According to them it is still necessary to convert the maps first using a PC.

I am contemplating buying it, but since I don't have access to a PC, this is a deal breaker for me.

If you were referring to this article http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/08/...i.html#comments

I think the City Navigator NT is was having issue with Nonautomobiles, however the 60csx version 3.50 fixes transfer issues via USB on Mac OS. If someone would confirm, that would nice. I dont have the NT version of the maps , so i cant assist..

I think the City Navigator NT is was having issue with Nonautomobiles, however the 60csx version 3.50 fixes transfer issues via USB on Mac OS. If someone would confirm, that would nice. I dont have the NT version of the maps , so i cant assist..

The latest version for my 60csx is still wonky USB-wise. A great deal of pluggin in, rebooting, handstands and gregorian chants are needed for mapinstall to acknowledge that your device is attached. Afterward, it takes a few hours for mapinstall to ATTEMPT to upload the city nav maps to the garmin.

I really get the feeling that the folks working on the mac software at Garmin are clueless as far as macs are concerned. I mean, a simple thing like having the USB work right should not result in the wonkiness that their coders have instilled. On the flip side, 3rd party shareware like MacCaching works flawlessly.

In short, they need to hire some mac tallent, as the folks they have on the payroll simply fail.