An Idea That Shows Promise!

tands

I like it . . . but I wouldn't want to Archive my one and only LPC. :unsure:

You see, the cache description on mine starts out like this:

After recently hurting my knee, I had to give up my search for caches at the end of long, or short, hikes. I gained a new appreciation for the mere presence of a cache--anywhere--to seek and find.

So, here is a cache just like the caches I usually passed up . . .

:laughing:

Edited by Miragee

Presses the sarcasm button, but doesn't really feel this strongly about this....

Let's see, now there are two acres that can't have a different geocache hidden near there. And if I go find it, I can log it, but my log will be deleted if I have a LPC hidden myself, even though I found their LPC. They can have one, but no one else can---that's how that goes?

Hmmm, give up a cache I've hidden for others to enjoy and the fun email that goes with it as they find it, many times over, so I can log one cache I found--once.

And what exactly is that supposed to achieve?

Turns off the sarcasm, and laughs.

I don't know about your area, but it's not like mine is overrun with the things anyway. In fact, I only know of one in the area and I think that one may be archived.

This new cache in our area is a very creative and good idea: Promise Me

- T of TandS

Cool! We sure get a kick outta some of these caches across the globe. Since I'll probably never visit that state, I guess I'm safe. On the "lighter" side, Sometimes after DNF'ing a simple 4.5x5 cache, it's always nice to stumble across a LPC for a quick ego boost :unsure:

There is a series of quasi LPCs in Petaluma, just south of here that was actually quite fun! Not all of them were the generic micro in the skirt and the final was actually a two gallon L&L. So.. LPCs? If it's really not about the numbers just ignore them :laughing:

I really don't freak out about the existence of lamp post caches or buy into the anguish about them. Regardless, that is darn funny!

My sentiments exactly! :laughing:

This is one of the things that makes geocaching so much fun,, the diversity, the creativity, and the uniqueness of the hides. Of course the hide itself doesn't incorporate any of these qualities, but the stipulations a person has to adhere to for keeping their find log from being deleted sure does. :unsure:

Yes, small Eires, it would sure be nice to 'ignore' all LPCs, except that many times the usual clues revealing lameness are missing, so you can't ignore them blanket style.

But that would be the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, wouldn't it?

- T of TandS

Yes, small Eires, it would sure be nice to 'ignore' all LPCs, except that many times the usual clues revealing lameness are missing, so you can't ignore them blanket style.

- T of TandS

You could make the reverse of that cache and only allow logs from people who have hidden LPCs. That way you'd know who they were and it would help you ignore the right ones. Some people might even volunteer info in their find log like "Thanks for the quick cache! I have 30 LPCs! :laughing: ."

A cache is a cache is a cache. I can appreciate the idea but I am not going to stop hunting micros or anything. It is ALL part of the fun. We forget.......nevermind I don't want to start this debate. Cache as you will, and cache often.

Edited by DoctorWho

- T of TandS

I apologize for a minimalist post. Its intent was to signify that I would ignore the cache linked in the OP, like I would any "agenda" driven cache, were it hidden in my home area. I did not mean to advocate ignoring all lamp post caches, though others are free to do so if they wish. I exclude puzzle caches from my queries because I do not enjoy them, but I don't start forum threads lamenting puzzle spew, nor do I hide anti-puzzle protest caches, because others enjoy them.

My lamp post cache gets a few DNF's; a few come from micro-loathers who seem to have trouble thinking outside the box. Those who find it give the cache good reviews, for not only the hide style but for the beautiful view to be had from that spot. Both types of logs make me smile.

My best friend lives 2,000 miles away. I would pay a princely sum for the privilege of hunting an LPC with my best friend. There's more to it than meets the eye.

I am sorry if I was unclear in either of my posts.

Edited by The Leprechauns

Thanks for clarifying. To each his own is a good philosophy. I was impressed at the creativity (and agenda, conforming to my 'opinion' which I know isn't shared by all) of this cache. It impressed me as being an above average take on the agenda cache, and we couldn't wait to log it. But of course that's not for everybody.

- T of TandS

- T of TandS

I apologize for a minimalist post. Its intent was to signify that I would ignore the cache linked in the OP, like I would any "agenda" driven cache, were it hidden in my home area. I did not mean to advocate ignoring all lamp post caches, though others are free to do so if they wish. I exclude puzzle caches from my queries because I do not enjoy them, but I don't start forum threads lamenting puzzle spew, nor do I hide anti-puzzle protest caches, because others enjoy them.

My lamp post cache gets a few DNF's; a few come from micro-loathers who seem to have trouble thinking outside the box. Those who find it give the cache good reviews, for not only the hide style but for the beautiful view to be had from that spot. Both types of logs make me smile.

My best friend lives 2,000 miles away. I would pay a princely sum for the privilege of hunting an LPC with my best friend. There's more to it than meets the eye.

I am sorry if I was unclear in either of my posts.

I was wondering about the agenda clause for this one. But I thought agendas applied more towards religious/political type caches. This one got approved so I guess we can assume that it's OK.....
A geocaching agenda is generally OK, it would seem. Just don't mention politics, religion or charity.

All of my caches have an agenda: for people to have fun with the experience of finding them.

If some people have fun with the cache under discussion in this thread, that's cool, too.

Thanks for the clarification. It is obvious that some people like them and some don't. Then there are the bulk that don't really care. So this cache can either be ignored or adored. It's up to each person to decide! :laughing:

What is the difference between a LPC, and a micro. One is neither better nor worse than the other. However, I see you have some micros hidden. :laughing:

I have never hidden a LPC, and have no desire to ever do so, But I would put your cache on ignore if it was in my area. I find the idea of trying to control what others hide and seek worse than the type of cache they are trying to get rid of.

What is the difference between a LPC, and a micro. One is neither better nor worse than the other. However, I see you have some micros hidden. :laughing:

I have never hidden a LPC, and have no desire to ever do so, But I would put your cache on ignore if it was in my area. I find the idea of trying to control what others hide and seek worse than the type of cache they are trying to get rid of.

Are you talking to me or the OP? (It's hard to tell because you didn't quote anyone) Edited by TrailGators
Are you talking to me or the OP? (It's hard to tell because you didn't quote anyone)

My post was not in response to something anyone said in particular. Just an observation to the OP. However, it works for anyone who hides micros and doesn't like LPCs, or who hides LPCs and doesn't like micros. :laughing:

I have no plans to ever hide either one, but have found some of each I liked.

Are you talking to me or the OP? (It's hard to tell because you didn't quote anyone)

My post was not in response to something anyone said in particular. Just an observation to the OP. However, it works for anyone who hides micros and doesn't like LPCs, or who hides LPCs and doesn't like micros. :unsure:

Micros or any size cache hidden in a clever way or in cool place is always loaded into my GPS. :laughing:

My post was not in response to something anyone said in particular. Just an observation to the OP. However, it works for anyone who hides micros and doesn't like LPCs, or who hides LPCs and doesn't like micros. :unsure:

Micros or any size cache hidden in a clever way or in cool place is always loaded into my GPS. :laughing:

In defense of the OP, ALL their micros are incredibly well hidden and/or have difficult puzzles.

In defense of the OP, ALL their micros are incredibly well hidden and/or have difficult puzzles.

Actually, I would have bet that was the case! :blink:

I own exactly one LPC and I am completely upfront about it. This Cache Sucks

But I still enjoy finding them from time to time. I don't like the idea of any one or any cache telling me how I can play. :laughing:

I suspect 50% of all LPCs are hidden by people who think it's funny to place a regular LPC as some sort of 'satire' of other LPCs. 'This Cache Sucks', 'Lame LPC' etc. More than one person in this thread has posted that they have one as a 'joke'.

Tip: Not funny. It's been done.

Lampost caches RULE!!!

This picture was before discovering all the black widows. :huh:
That would be a pretty gutsy way to lift one of those around here. :unsure:

Actually, I've found that almost all of our lampskirt caches are clean, with no insect-type creatures. I know there are exceptions, but I don't think I've seen them personally. But to tell you the truth, this picture was taken after I already was partway through looking in and finding the cache. Then I posed. :huh:

Lampost caches RULE!!!

Uh oh, now you've done it! There were only a handful of people in the geocaching world who knew of this top secret hiding technique. Now you've gone and showed everybody! :blink:
I guess the cat's out of the bag.... :laughing:

Oopsies. :o:P:P:D

Lampost caches RULE!!!

c6a6b423-6569-4d49-9be7-7096baddbec0.jpg

Uh oh, now you've done it! There were only a handful of people in the geocaching world who knew of this top secret hiding technique. Now you've gone and showed everybody! :(

That's becuase she's probably the first one ever to have her picture taking in a parking lot, lifting a skirt. :D Funny, I've never seen that pic in the rotation on the main page of geocaching.com. They only seem to have pictures of mountains, streams, waterfalls, etc.. :D

A geocaching agenda is generally OK, it would seem. Just don't mention politics, religion or charity.

All of my caches have an agenda: for people to have fun with the experience of finding them.

If some people have fun with the cache under discussion in this thread, that's cool, too.

Yep, I have a parking lot micro with a "geocaching agenda". Typical parking lot micro logs are mandatory, and you are restricted to 8 words or less in your log. The owner wouldn't let me put it under a skirt though, I had to make a guardrail cache. Yes, people have fun with it, and yes, I got the basic idea for a spoof of PLM's elsewere, so it's been done for sure, as many have said.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I want to hide a LPC.

Me too. I just haven't found a light pole that is Snooganesque enough.

JoGPS gave me an idea for a 5-Star LPC almost 2 years ago and I haven't found the right spot for it yet. I'm always looking. :(

I think "The Snooganesque Light Poles" would have been a great name for an 80's New Wave band.

Here are some views taken from lamp post cache sites that I have found or hidden, beginning with my cache near the Allegheny River in Pittsburgh, mentioned above. I think it's a shame that Groundspeak hasn't featured these pictures in the front page gallery. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

28d5ca13-14d1-4676-949e-a9cce0baf6c8.jpg

Photo of the Memorial on the Kent State University Campus, commemorating the events of May 4, 1970. This LPC is on my Top 5% Greatest Caches list. An LPC was the ONLY respectful hide that was appropriate at this location.

7ca8ff1a-93cf-41a2-88e0-315854a86f2f.jpg

This was the first LPC I ever found. It was on my Top 5% list for quite awhile.

848b8cb2-28b6-41af-94db-812d0cdc1154.jpg

Funny, I've never seen that pic in the rotation on the main page of geocaching.com. They only seem to have pictures of mountains, streams, waterfalls, etc.. :(

That's probably because they went through and removed all the spoiler photos. There are plenty of people out there who have not yet attempted -- or succeeded at -- a light pole cache.

Lampost caches RULE!!!

c6a6b423-6569-4d49-9be7-7096baddbec0.jpg

Uh oh, now you've done it! There were only a handful of people in the geocaching world who knew of this top secret hiding technique. Now you've gone and showed everybody! :(

I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that the cache isn't there! :D

She's lifting the wrong skirt! :D

If someone doesn't like LPCs, then they're not going to hide one anyway, which means this one is just another LPC, leaving the LPC hater no reason to find it. People who want to hide LPCs won't look for it of course. People who enjoy finding LPCs won't find it on principle.

At least, that's the way I see it. I'm obviously wrong, as people have logged it. Are these people who are indifferent?

Am I wrong in assuming most people who hate LPCs really mean parking lot LPCs? I don't care for parking lot micros, but if a lamppost is in a cool location and a micro is the only way to go, I don't see why an LPC would bug someone.

Here are some views taken from lamp post cache sites that I have found or hidden, beginning with my cache near the Allegheny River in Pittsburgh, mentioned above. I think it's a shame that Groundspeak hasn't featured these pictures in the front page gallery. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

28d5ca13-14d1-4676-949e-a9cce0baf6c8.jpg

Photo of the Memorial on the Kent State University Campus, commemorating the events of May 4, 1970. This LPC is on my Top 5% Greatest Caches list. An LPC was the ONLY respectful hide that was appropriate at this location.

7ca8ff1a-93cf-41a2-88e0-315854a86f2f.jpg

This was the first LPC I ever found. It was on my Top 5% list for quite awhile.

848b8cb2-28b6-41af-94db-812d0cdc1154.jpg

I guess they are all a lot different in your neck of the woods. Those look cool! :(

If someone doesn't like LPCs, then they're not going to hide one anyway, which means this one is just another LPC, leaving the LPC hater no reason to find it. People who want to hide LPCs won't look for it of course. People who enjoy finding LPCs won't find it on principle.

At least, that's the way I see it. I'm obviously wrong, as people have logged it. Are these people who are indifferent?

Am I wrong in assuming most people who hate LPCs really mean parking lot LPCs? I don't care for parking lot micros, but if a lamppost is in a cool location and a micro is the only way to go, I don't see why an LPC would bug someone.

What principle? People who enjoy finding LPCs or who could take 'em or leave 'em will find this one and get their smiley. Which I assume it the point the hider is trying to make. People who want to hide an LPC will either ignore this cache, hide one anyways and risk getting the log deleted, or hide 'em using a sock puppet account. It's likely it won't have an effect on the number of LPCs hidden in the OPs area. It does make the point that the hider dislikes LPCs but not so much as to prevent him from hiding one :(

What I would probably do, is find this cache and sign the log, then log a note online saying that since I can't guarantee that I'll never hide an LPC I can't comply with the ALR but thanks for the cache anyway.