Two questions about Garmin 60CSx from newbie

dimon6

Hello all,

I hope I'll get my answers. My decision about keeping the GPS really depends on it. The unit that I have is Garmin 60CSx.

1. I plan to use two maps with it: BlueChart and City Navigator. Is it possible to have these maps on the unit at the same time and switch between them when necessarily? Or do I have to have two different SD cards for this?

2. It seems to me that my 60CSx does very poor job when calculating the driving directions. The calculated route is far from optimal and not even drawn along the roads - sort of very roughly estimated. ("Follow Roads" option is selected). I presume it happens because I don't have the City Navigator map on it. The only map I have is MapSource Metroguide. Am I right?

Thank for you responses

Dan

Welcome to the Forums ! :D

You can have both maps on the unit at the same time, however you will have to choose which one you want to have "Shown" or "Hidden". You have to load them from your computer, to the unit, at the same time.

Once you have the City Navigator maps installed, it will have all the street and road data and it will do an excellent job of navigating. With Metroguide installed, it is navigating on the limited "base map."

Hello all,

I hope I'll get my answers. My decision about keeping the GPS really depends on it. The unit that I have is Garmin 60CSx.

1. I plan to use two maps with it: BlueChart and City Navigator. Is it possible to have these maps on the unit at the same time and switch between them when necessarily? Or do I have to have two different SD cards for this?

2. It seems to me that my 60CSx does very poor job when calculating the driving directions. The calculated route is far from optimal and not even drawn along the roads - sort of very roughly estimated. ("Follow Roads" option is selected). I presume it happens because I don't have the City Navigator map on it. The only map I have is MapSource Metroguide. Am I right?

Thank for you responses

Dan

As stated in the previous response, you can have both and then choose which to display. I'm wondering why you got the 60CSx rather than the 76CSx. The 76CSx is a marine unit. It floats if dropped in the water and has a MOB (Man Overboard) button that, when pressed, not only marks a waypoint but immediately begins autorouting back to that spot.

Just to clarify a couple points:

you will have to choose which one you want to have "Shown" or "Hidden".

You can do this from the map page Menu > Setup map.

You have to load them from your computer, to the unit, at the same time.

In Mapsource, select all the map tiles you want from CN and Blue Charts into the same map set, then transfer them all together to the GPS. When you transfer a map set to the GPS, all existing maps on the unit are over written. You are limited to a total of 2025 map tiles (segments) on the GPSr.

More on showing and hiding mapsets: From the Map page, press MENU » 'Setup Map' » ENTR. One of maps you've loaded will be listed. Press MENU again, then » 'Hide City Navigator' » ENTR. You can use this procedure to hide or show any map (including the base map) that is loaded.

Also, as indicated, Metroguide maps loaded from Mapsource have the autorouting data stripped out of them. The unit thus tries to route on the basemap. Search the forums for a third party solution that allows you to use Metroguide maps to autoroute.

................ I'm wondering why you got the 60CSx rather than the 76CSx. The 76CSx is a marine unit. It floats if dropped in the water and has a MOB (Man Overboard) button that, when pressed, not only marks a waypoint but immediately begins autorouting back to that spot.

The 60CSx also has the MOB function, press and hold the "Find" key.

Also, on another note, would CN and BlueChart even overlap to make it necessary to toggle the maps on and off?

As others have noted, CN auto-routes quite nicely.

I toggle between showing Topo or Showing CN.

The trick about having two maps on the GPSr is remembering to change back to the useful one when you are back on the highway. If you tell the GPSr to "Follow Road" with the Topo maps showing, the GPSr gets very confused . . . depending on how far away you are from one of the "routable" highways in the base map.

If you have CN8 loaded should you hide the Base Map??
I can't think of a reason to do so. MapSource has a "priority" for maps. By default, it shows the most detailed map and hides the rest. CN8 is on the top of the heap, followed by Topo and the Basemap. Not sure where Bluechart come in, but I think between Topo and Basemap.
If you have CN8 loaded should you hide the Base Map??
I can't think of a reason to do so. MapSource has a "priority" for maps. By default, it shows the most detailed map and hides the rest. CN8 is on the top of the heap, followed by Topo and the Basemap. Not sure where Bluechart come in, but I think between Topo and Basemap.

I just looked at my 60csx and this is how it is setup, is this right or wrong

83273443.jpg

It's doing a great job of routing on the basemap (as others have correctly pointed out). MG doesn't autoroute unless you massage it; since you already own MG you may want to try autorouting MG before you buy locked CN.

Thank you, guys, all for the prompt reply. I'm leaning towards keeping my 60CSx. As for the 76CSx, it never came to my attention that I could get it instead of mine. No regrets, 60CSx does have MOB feature and it is water resistant up to 1 meter below the surface

I think if you choose "Show Basemap," that option will "Hide CN," which you don't want/

That is the way my Vista C is set up, except when I am hiking and I choose "Show Topo." :(

No, you can show basemap and CN, which is preferred since the basemap will show instead of CN when you zoom out, since the basemap has less detail it makes drawing the map much faster when zoomed out. With the basemap hidden it will draw much more, taking a lot more time, and making the map unreadable when zoomed out.

As for having BC and CN enabled at the same time, BC will overwrite CN. Some BC maps cover land areas near the coast and some of the larger maps go inland quite a ways (with no detail), so you most likely wouldn't want both enabled.