MOST MEMORABLE CACHE!

drew82

Whats the most memorable cache that you've found and have fond memories of? Mine would be an evening of night caching doing the lake tour caches of henderson county tn:) beautiful sights and great night with friends....

My most memorable caches have a few things in common:

1. A great hike!
  2. Camaraderie (sharing and enjoying the adventure with great friends)
  3. Outstanding Scenery
  4. Overcoming physical exhaustion, and achieving goals

The caches that were the most memorable to me:

1. #600 Burnt Offering GC55F
  2. #700 Scouting's Highest Honour Mt. Baden-Powell GCH7GY
  3. #800 the dragonfly scroll GC7F3A
  4. #900 Return to Scab Island GC2CE4
  5. #1000 Are You Experienced? GCG2V8 Second part of the log

There are various reasons for a cache to be memorable. I did a night cache called with my wife and we laughed like little kids. That's a pretty good caching memory.

Probably the toughest cache I've done was Tire Swing Teddy - a multi-cache that included terrain that varied from the inside of a building to hanging over a cliff.

It's so hard for me to categorize great caches. I love the long hikes and beautiful views, but many of the most memorable to me are memorable because of the people I'm with or because of something goofy that happened there.

I put together a bookmark list of my Top 10% - Most Memorable caches. It's far from 10% though! I'm afraid I've got a lot more work to do on it before it gets there.

I do find though that it really forces me to think about those memorable ones. When I'm out on a caching run I find myself thinking, "One out of ten of these is going on that list. What can I find to make sure it's memorable?" In other words, it makes me look for the positive in every cache.

Like I said, the list is far from done, but it's getting there. The most rewarding part has been the emails from cache owners who have thanked me for putting their caches on my list. The thanks really goes to them, though. :D

Definately GC11AT5 "No Strength Just Ingenuity 2" by "stevensheri".

GC11AT5 No Strength Just Ingenuity 2

Its in a league of its own!

The container is on top of about a 50-60 foot cement pillar sign at Wright State University in Fairborn, OH near Dayton, OH. Since there's no way to climb the tower you have to figure a way to get the cache down and even more challenging how to get it back up. Most people do it in groups but I can definately say from experience it can be done solo. Quite the adventure. If you're in the area you need to check this one out.

-slammer47

Edited by slammer47

All of my most memorable caches have been events. GeoWoodstocks 3,4, & 5 top the list, but a few other smaller events stand shoulder to shoulder with those events for fond memories: MudFrog's Floatin' Down the Crik, just about ANY UsMorrows event, & Moosiegirl's Sign My Cast event. :unsure:

As for regular caches:

Four Cache Loop, Outdoor Nevada Geocache #3, Old Voth Sawmill, Night Mission Doomspore, Swamp Lights, Deserted Islands, NASA Tracking Station, Wilson House TB Hotel, & So, why is this here...?, are a few that come to mind right off, so they should qualify..... :laughing:

And then there's View Carre, in New Orleans, which stands alone. It is quite possibly the most unique caching experience ANYONE could hope have. I don't know of another cache like it. :blink:

My most memorable caches have a few things in common:

1. A great hike!
  2. Camaraderie (sharing and enjoying the adventure with great friends)
  3. Outstanding Scenery
  4. Overcoming physical exhaustion, and achieving goals

I forgot to quote this in my post.

You nailed it. Everything I listed in my post has at least 1 or more of those aspects to it. :laughing::unsure:

d82fdb95-adec-4d8a-acc6-2fc64ed463f2.jpg

One of my most memorable caches is one the I never made it to, GCGN6A. The cache was hidden around 10,000' Kepnfit and I only made it to about 9950' before approacing darkness turned us back. The views were just fantastic. Here is my log:

October 18, 2004 by Deermark (8982 found)

Hiked up from Silver Lake Reservoir. About 2-3" of snow at the higher elevation. Got within .38 of the cache but had to turn around due to darkness. Managed to bushwack down in about an hour. A whole lot quicker down than going up. Really wanted to finish this one off but being unfamiliar with the area didn't want to be up this high in the dark. Thanks anyway for bringing me up to this beautiful area.

Deermark

From my log entry for The Infinity Gauntlet:

This week has been like living inside the Myst computer game. There was the top of the sheer cliff with a view for miles. The thundering waterfall. The forest of trees so tall their tops disappeared in the mist. The alpine snow field glistening in bright sunshine. The field of rolling pumice rocks on the slopes of an active volcano, where fierce winds ballooned our clothes and try to fly us like kites.

Whats the most memorable cache that you've found and have fond memories of? Mine would be an evening of night caching doing the lake tour caches of henderson county tn:) beautiful sights and great night with friends....

Without hesitation I have to say that Nemesis (GCRZBD) is and probably always will be my most memorable find!

What an encredible adventure to grab this 5x5 Multi in the Hood Mtn State Park in Sonoma County. Our group was made up of Dadfish, Psychofish, Clan Duncan and myself. This trek involved 4 visits and over 40 miles of mixed terrain, elevation climbs of over 2000 feet, some encredible sights, many animals, poison oak, ticks, stickers, torn clothes and skin, rock climbing, tree climbing, sliding down 100 feet down a steep slope to escape a bee attack, swealtering heat, blisters and just plain old exhaustion for those of us (me <_< ) who haven't really prepared for such a trek.

I for one will absolutely never forget this adventure.

A huge thanks to Trailpuppy for this cache!

There are so many candidates but I'd have to say "Granny's Rock", a 4 terrain rated multicache that I went with 2 other cachers to seek. Not so much for the cache itself, although it was a great cache, or even for the fact that we did it in the winter with snow on the ground, but because we met two people in the field that day. That had never happened to me before, so that was pretty cool.

Most memorable cache for me one for me is the one I was cheated out of.

Extremely hard puzzle that had been out for months.

Went after it late at night which is out of character for me.

In a snow storm.

And found it around 12 midnight.

Next day the owner archives the cache, deletes my log, and tells me that I found a new cache that he was planning for the exact same location and that he replaced the contained at 12:30AM. He knew I had the coords before I went after it and figured he could tell me he traded out the cache before I found it. Problem is that I found the cache before he claims to have switch it. So he changes his story to say he switched it out the night before.

Truth is this cache was never meant to be found anyone other than his girlfriend.

<_<:DB):D<_<

Team Sand Dollar

I don't have nearly as many to choose from as most of you, but I have 2 that stand out. One was a multi that started out with a puzzle, involved going to a few different places, and ended up with a difficult find. It took us 3 tries and a hint to find it, but it was really fun. I learned a lot about caching on that one, and I don't think we will ever drive past the area where we found the final stage without remarking "that's where that really difficult one was...!"

The other was last summer, on our 17th anniversary. We hired a babysitter and went on a long hike in the mountains. The cache was a nice enough one, but it was just a beautiful day, a really nice hike, and a great way to spend an anniversary.

GC13E8W

I have a bunch of fun ones - mostly in Colorado. But my most memorable one was just last night, 8.9.07. Trying to drop a TB at a quick cache near home. I came across a car, sitting in the woods. It was way out of the parking area, car parts everywhere & a large tree over it hood. The sun was setting and I was alone, made for a creepy feeling. Seached quick for the cache, but left without finding it. Drove into town and flagged down an officer. Turns out the car had been reported stolen that same morning. Kinda crazy now that I look back at it - but was a little freaky snooping around at the time. Will go back this weekend & find the cache!

Edited by Great Dane Gang

Most memorable cache for me one for me is the one I was cheated out of.

Extremely hard puzzle that had been out for months.

Went after it late at night which is out of character for me.

In a snow storm.

And found it around 12 midnight.

Next day the owner archives the cache, deletes my log, and tells me that I found a new cache that he was planning for the exact same location and that he replaced the contained at 12:30AM. He knew I had the coords before I went after it and figured he could tell me he traded out the cache before I found it. Problem is that I found the cache before he claims to have switch it. So he changes his story to say he switched it out the night before.

Truth is this cache was never meant to be found anyone other than his girlfriend.

:P:laughing::laughing::P:D

Team Sand Dollar

Sucks, don't it? Found a cache. Waited a few days for it to be published. Logged it. Owner went out and moved the final. Went back a second time and tore my log out of the book. And he wonders why I'm ignoring all his caches?

My favorite cache was one i found while on vaca in virginia. It is GCNTK9 and is called No bricks in this wall. I actually features 4 sections of the Berlin Wall! Who would have figured that 4 sections of the wall would wind up as an art exhibit in Virginia.

My two favorites:

Lame Colt's cache (GCHYQ6).

Miller Time 4x4 (GCQZRC) @10,125 ft).

Both are memorable for the journey's. We went close to 100 miles to reach both cache's. Both caches are only visted by 2-3 caches a year. Lame Colt's cache will allow you see wild horses and a great cave. Miller Time 4x4 will give you spectacular views. Both are best reached with a 4x4, but both could be reached, at certain times of the year, with a 2 wheel drive pickup with adequate ground clearance and skillful driving. Both are inaccessible at other times of the year unless you want to put miles on snowshoes. Your family sedan will not get you anywhere near either one.

Edited by debtodd007

Our favorite Caches were:

Mile 49: Blackhawk Down

Find Jimmy Hoffa!

Blackhawk down, from what I gather, has been moved since I found it. But from when we discovered it was an excelent cache (our first ammo box I do believe..), in a very nice little cemetery named in memory of a WW1 soldier, and in a nice little Wisconsin town with a litterally aprox. pop. of 50 in winter. (I do believe, also, that this was our first cache out of our general vecinity..)

Jimmy Hoffa was awesome as well. Great park, great trail/forest that I really was completely unaware of in the city of MILWAUKEE (the actual CITY!!), excelent and innovative waypoints, and where I got my first TB (got a geocoin somewhere else though..)..we've actually done it twice, and plan on doing it again with the rest of clanfrancis when they come to town..both truely remarkable and excellent caches..!! :unsure: