GPS in the trees

kklingerman

Hi,

I'm new to geocaching. I went after a few caches in a state park today, but was unable to get close to them because I could not get a GPS signal. I use a Garmin Etrex Legend. The caches were in the tree line. Is this common? If so, how do I find them? So far, the only cache I have been able to find was a very obvious one. Any help would be appreciated.

K. Klingerman

Rochester, NY

If the GPS has not been used for a while it will take some time to get a good lock.

I turn mine on when I leave my house, it can take about 15 minutes to get a good lock and for the GPS to create an almanac. Turn on the GPS while under tree cover, were the signals are poor can be a problem.

This can be a real problem with the older Garmin e-treks versions

Hi,

I'm new to geocaching. I went after a few caches in a state park today, but was unable to get close to them because I could not get a GPS signal. I use a Garmin Etrex Legend. The caches were in the tree line. Is this common? If so, how do I find them? So far, the only cache I have been able to find was a very obvious one. Any help would be appreciated.

K. Klingerman

Rochester, NY

Trees give many GPSs trouble. New ones with the SirfStarIII chip are a lot better. Anyhow, once you get a signal let your GPS settle. They get slower to update. Also look for clearings if you lose signal. Sometimes you can project the arrow to figure out about where the cache should be and go look there. Edited by TrailGators

Welcome to the Forums! :)

If you cache in forested areas frequently, that older GPSr could be problematic. Last year Garmin came out with the GPS Map 60Cx/CSx which had a more-sensitive chip, and this year they have come out with the new HCx models, which also have a more-sensitive chip.

I don't have to look for caches under trees very often, but my usually-accurate, trustworthy Garmin Vista C will lose satellites under tree cover making it more difficult to find the cache . . . :)

Welcome to the Forums! :)

If you cache in forested areas frequently, that older GPSr could be problematic. Last year Garmin came out with the GPS Map 60Cx/CSx which had a more-sensitive chip, and this year they have come out with the new HCx models, which also have a more-sensitive chip.

I don't have to look for caches under trees very often, but my usually-accurate, trustworthy Garmin Vista C will lose satellites under tree cover making it more difficult to find the cache . . . :)

But it also can be more fun! It makes you think a little more and adapt. I think it can be fun at times. However, it could become a pain if you live in a heavily forested area and more and more people are hiding caches in this areas because they have one of those new-fangled GPSs.

Hi,

......... Me and My honey were caching this weekend in deep forest.......We basically forged our own trail through the woods and our Mellgan Explorist 210 worked great!........ I would never trust the GPS in forest but I knew my honey could get us back to camp if the GPS didn't ...... I don't know if our GPS is consider one of the best or consider just good but I think it is one to consider

Go to a clearing where you have a good signal, wait for the unit to get a solid lock, then slowly walk back thru the forest. Many units will keep locked on to a marginal signal once located.

Look at the constellation on the unit. Many times there will be more satellites in one quadrant of the sky more than others. Move a short distance one way or another so there is an opening in the forest canopy in that direction. It often does not take much of an opening to really improve the signal. Hold the unit so your body is not between the unit and the bulk of the satellites. Radio signals do not pass thru water very well, and your body is just a big bag of water.

External antennas really improve the accuracy and sensitivity of the unit. The mag mount antenna made for cars works really well. Put a couple of safety pins in the crown of your hat and the mag antenna base will stay there and the cord snakes down to the unit in your hand or pack. Glue a small flat washer to the top of a walking stick and the mag base will stick there, then you lift the hiking stick with the antenna into the air as high as you can reach.

if you carry it around lying flat in the palm of your hand and bump a branch, your gizmo is going to land on what is right below the palm of your hand.

And besides that, just think how silly you'll look. :unsure::blink::laughing::huh::huh:

And just how would you hold it so you didn't look silly, its either going to be horizontal or vertical or somewheres in between.

When I had my Legend it worked almost as well as my gold if I held it flat.

There were many times I compared the 2 of them

Welcome to the Forums! :D

I don't have to look for caches under trees very often, but my usually-accurate, trustworthy Garmin Vista C will lose satellites under tree cover making it more difficult to find the cache . . . :(

What other GPSr's are good in the woods? I had better luck today, but still lost signal in halfway back and didn;t get a lock until I got out of the trees. I had a signal all the way in though. I was looking at the Magellan Explorist 500LE or the Etrex Legend Hcx. Anyone have any experience with these? Are they better in the trees?

I am considering upgrading from my Vista C to the Vista HCx because it has the more sensitive chip. It should work very well in forested areas. I prefer the smaller size of the eTrex for Geocaching. I also have the City Navigator maps on that GPSr so I can auto-route to the cache locations. :(

Welcome to the Forums! :D

I don't have to look for caches under trees very often, but my usually-accurate, trustworthy Garmin Vista C will lose satellites under tree cover making it more difficult to find the cache . . . :(

What other GPSr's are good in the woods? I had better luck today, but still lost signal in halfway back and didn;t get a lock until I got out of the trees. I had a signal all the way in though. I was looking at the Magellan Explorist 500LE or the Etrex Legend Hcx. Anyone have any experience with these? Are they better in the trees?

The Legend HCX will be far better in trees. It has a new, high sensitivity receiver. I haven't used one yet, but the people who have give it high marks.

Here's what I do when looking for a cache in deep woods. Go to the nearest place where you can get a good signal. set the GPSr down on a stump, or on the ground. A foot or so away, set your compass (you DO have a GOOD compass, don't you?). Align the North on the compass with the north end of the needle. Wait until the GPSr 'settles' and note the distance and heading to the cache. Check the compass, and note an object in line with the bearing, then estimate the distance to the cache. Go to that point, and you should be close to the cache.

Now, all you have to do is remember where your GPSr and compass are. Yes, I've walked away from my GPSr a couple times... :(

All very good advice folks!

I don't use an external antenna (I have a Maggy 210).

I have my GPS in its case and located so that it rides very high up on the left shoulder strap of my pack. This way, the patch antenna sits as high and horizontal as possible when I need to keep may hands free while on a tight trail, a climb or bushwhacking a beeline. I lock it up good before I head in and during breaks in open spots.

Depending on how far and the the type of terrain, I'm not constantly looking at my GPS. Sometimes I take a bearing from the GPS and shoot it with my lensatic compass. As well, topos and aerial photos help.

As you probably can tell, I like a cache that requires a hike and some exercise, usually to a vista point.

There are many types of caches for types of cachers! All good fun! Happy caching!

tec_64