What's Wrong?

I'll ask this really simply, and will answer any questions as to the specifics if there are any.

Is there any place you wouldn't hide a cache, because there's something wrong there? Atmosphere, feeling, whatever? Like you want to hide a cache, but something seems just a little off?

Let me give a little more. It was Father's Day, my birthday this year. We went to the State Park, the fort, and did some groundwork for a cache. I had a map that showed an undergound tunnel I'd never seen. As we were looking for it, I had a brainstorm ~ I had no idea where we going, but once, I'd seen the words "To Heaven"written over an archway. I knew immediately that was where we were going. It was the tunnel.

We joked all afternoon about going to heaven.

We got home to find our cat dying. She was young, extremely athletic, and the vet has no idea what happened.

I have a friend who claims to be a psychic. I told her this basic story minus my feelings. She shuddered, and said that it was a place that gave her bad vibes.

I've written this badly, but are there places that should just be avoided?

Ok, this is the cache that I have been planning for so long. I want it.

My husband, son and I were together when we found it.

I asked my son about it, if he had any feeling about the day we were there. He said no, that day was fine. And then, he said he had been back, with his Papa. I didn't know they'd gone back. Son Adam said he went half way up the tunnel, and then got a really bad feeling and came back. While one end of the tunnel says "to heaven", the other side says "to hell"

The WSGA is having a campout in my town, and I've promised to hide new caches. This one would be so cool, a flashlight cache with a tunnel at the end.

Am I being fanciful, or are there some places we just shouldn't go?

i think you're being a pit paranoid (dont mean that in a insulting way) because of what the cave writing said, as for the cat i'd chalk it up to coincidence unless something else bad happens. dont bother with the psychics and all that 99.999999% of them are people looking for attention or scam artists.

i feel what made you really uneasy is not knowing what kind of people wrote that on the wall, you dont know if its just a kid with a gimmick or a psychopath and tunnels/caves give alot of people the creeps, its just a natural occurrence.

Let me ask it this way - would you go look for this cache, or have I made you nervous? Would you go "to heaven?"

if you said it that way i'd likely write you off as a psycho :D

if you decide to put a cache there, just make it light, if you put something like 'come to my heaven' or 'would you like to see heaven?' and people find out its some creepy old tunnel, people going to think you're either a nut or someone who takes a theme too seriously.

i'd write it off as 'spooky cave' or something more to the point that the place is a little creepy, thrill seekers will like it, and ordinary joe's will know what they're getting into.

though i wonder how much traffic a place like that gets, if its a common hangout for teenagers (stuff like that is perfect, i would know as i loved that stuff back then) you may want to find another location, or just simply turn it into a benchmark so theirs no cache for people to destroy.

Well, no, I didn't think it was creepy at first; it's clean and there's a perfect spot for a cache just outside. It's in an area of old batteries and bunkers built for the war that never saw any action, and as far as I know there are no unpleasant stories to go with it. It's one of those places, like Casco Bay in Maine, where they strung nets across the water to catch German submarines. Didn't catch any here.

There was never any actual military action, and it is a cool area to explore. I have a written permit for the cache, which I got from a State Park Director who is generally viewed as "difficult". He and I actually get along famously.

I guess it was just the death of the cat, the "psychic", and the little clutchy moment when my 9 year old headed "for hell" that's made me uncomfortable. I'm not a psycho waiting for you at the end of the tunnel, the only thing waiting for you is blue sky and tall grass. I guess I am swayed by atmosphere, but after talking to you I am rather more inclined to place the cache.

I have a name for it that won't work. Close, but not quite. There's another area in the park where I'll be putting a micro. It's a building that is now used for concerts and festivals- it was built to house blimps to be used for surveillance. I thought I'd call that one "Lead" Zeppelin (never did actually get used, get off the ground if you will) and the tunnel one would be "Stairway to Heaven", of course. Well, except there's no stairs, it's just a tunnel.

I do miss the cat, but there must be no connection. Right?

After re-reading your post I will point this out - tell me if it's creepy.

There is a line of bunkers and batteries, and this would be a multi, with stickers as the waypoints; it would require flashlights, exploration, climbing ladders...

There is no GPS reception inside a tunnel, so, you're right. The last sticker would be near the mouth of the tunnel, it would have the final coordinates on it, and it would say something like "go to heaven". Is that too weird? I mean, it says "to heaven" right there.

Again, this is not a run down relic, it's clean and in the state park. My mother and son and I are going to a concert on Artillary Hill next week; these batteries have rare acoustics and several albums have been recorded here.

I'd go for it! Your cache location sounds amazing. I think other cachers would really enjoy hunting it. I only wish they had an area like that around where we live.

Ignore the "psychic". :D My wife cooked mexican casserole for dinner the night my daughters bunny died for no reason. We still eat casserole and I'm happy to report no further casualties! ;)

Seriously, it sounds like a really neat cache location that everyone would enjoy.

After re-reading your post I will point this out - tell me if it's creepy.

There is a line of bunkers and batteries, and this would be a multi, with stickers as the waypoints; it would require flashlights, exploration, climbing ladders...

There is no GPS reception inside a tunnel, so, you're right. The last sticker would be near the mouth of the tunnel, it would have the final coordinates on it, and it would say something like "go to heaven". Is that too weird? I mean, it says "to heaven" right there.

Again, this is not a run down relic, it's clean and in the state park. My mother and son and I are going to a concert on Artillary Hill next week; these batteries have rare acoustics and several albums have been recorded here.

This type of cache would be right up my alley. I enjoy unique ideas and areas for geocaches. The fact that it would encourage people to enter an area rich with history only makes it more interesting to me. The fact that it incorporates exploration would force me to put it on my "to do" list. I say "do it!"

I'm not sure how the stickers would work. Are you allowed to place them; might they be viewed as graffiti? But you have definately got something here. Unfortunately, I am not from your area!

Yes, I have a written permit for the cache. I am actually pretty sensitive to atmosphere, and other than the moment when I had to stop my young son from going "to hell", I honestly don't have any bad feelings about the place. Again, to the best of my knowledge, nothing bad has ever happened there It's not a teenage / druggie hangout, the cat dying was surely an unhappy coincidence, and the psychic friend is probably well meaning but not connecting with anything real. Right?

Thanks. I'd given up this cache, but you've talked me back into it. I mentioned the Casco Bay area in Maine because I played there as a girl, many, many years ago. Those bunkers have been sealed, so that no-one can hurt themselves. I really appreciate that where I live, it's still possible to explore a place like this - life hasn't been sanitized to the point where you can't possibly get hurt (sue?) I don't know - there was just enough odd about it to make me question it, but I think it's OK. I'll dedicate the cache to my cat.

For the one who asked ~ I'll be using waterproof stickers. The Park manager has agreed to it, and the stickers are supposed to peel off without leaving residue when I'm done. I have not bought them yet.

well if its a clean area and you have written consent, then i defintly say go after it, it sounds like a well maintained place that just has a slightly spooky atmosphere, i'm sorry if you feel i discouraged you, i did not mean to, i mean i'm from new york and well :laughing: tunnels here are always a bad thing to be around, you may live in a nicer area so, i'm sorry if i spooked you into not doing it when i was actually trying to not make you feel freaked out by the events :unsure:

if the place has a history i suggest putting it in your catch information, or better yet, you can make a multi-cache there so people go around and see the history of the place, it will give them a general overall view of the area, and you can teach them about the history there with clues to the next cache finally leading to the tunnel and what not.

p.s. sorry for your cat but dont worry about it too much, it really was just bad timing,you know stuff like that always has bad timing in life (when is it a good time for a tragedy to ever happen, ya know?)

Edited by Dr. Jackal

Yes, I have a written permit for the cache. I am actually pretty sensitive to atmosphere, and other than the moment when I had to stop my young son from going "to hell", I honestly don't have any bad feelings about the place. Again, to the best of my knowledge, nothing bad has ever happened there It's not a teenage / druggie hangout, the cat dying was surely an unhappy coincidence, and the psychic friend is probably well meaning but not connecting with anything real. Right?

Thanks. I'd given up this cache, but you've talked me back into it. I mentioned the Casco Bay area in Maine because I played there as a girl, many, many years ago. Those bunkers have been sealed, so that no-one can hurt themselves. I really appreciate that where I live, it's still possible to explore a place like this - life hasn't been sanitized to the point where you can't possibly get hurt (sue?) I don't know - there was just enough odd about it to make me question it, but I think it's OK. I'll dedicate the cache to my cat.

For the one who asked ~ I'll be using waterproof stickers. The Park manager has agreed to it, and the stickers are supposed to peel off without leaving residue when I'm done. I have not bought them yet.

I would say "Go for it." The best thing that I noticed about caching is that there is something for (almost) everyone. Some people like drive-by caching, while others like to hike uphill for three miles before they find their cache. Different strokes for different folks. Everyone has a choice as to whether or not they want to do a cache. For me, personally, I don't like to do caches that are associated with cemetaries and grave yards. That's just me. There are people that really dig on these type of caches. I'd say go for it and let the cachers decide what they cache.