First Muggled Cache

We came across our first obviously muggled cache. Just found the cache info sheet, you know the one that says leave this alone :) and a sig item. I logged it as "request it be archived." Is that right? We did "find" it, though not intact. Have to say finding a muggled cache made me more angry than logging a DNF.

Chris

Bummer . . . that is too bad. :)

I would have logged a DNF explaining what I found, but unless the owner is not active anymore, I wouldn't have logged an SBA. If the owner is still active, they have the opportunity to Disable the cache and replace the container if they want to.

Your SBA is okay, however, because it will bring the cache to the attention of your local Reviewer. If the cache owner is MIA, they can take care of things promptly.

I would have logged a "Needs Maintenance" and detailed the situation in your online log to keep other people from wasting time. It's not a "Found it" because you never found the log, and it's not a DNF because you did find *something*. A SBA log is kinda harsh, unless the owner hasn't been active in a long time.

Even if the cache really is missing - many owners will go out and try to replace it (often by moving it slightly). Save the SBA log for something that clearly violates the guidelines or has been neglected over time by the owner.

Log a DNF with details on what you saw. You didn't find and cannot say 100% for certain it is missing because you have never seen it before.

Thanks for caring though. :)

A few of our caches have been muggled; one in particular has been muggled three times in about three months (we've just moved it to a different location with new coordinates).

It was very helpful that the geocachers who didn't find it posted DNF logs and in several cases also sent us a message through the geocaching. com network. Since all our caches are close to our home and jobs, we usually go out to check on them by the next day.

I think whenever you find something obviously wrong with a cache you should notify the owner, either through your log entry or by the message system (click on the owner's name and go to his profile page to send him an e-mail), to give the owner a chance to fix it. To post a "Should be Archived" seems rude to me, since it's implying that the owner won't take the time to fix the cache. Most of us have invested quite a bit of time and effort to place our hides and want to keep them going; occasionally an owner may be out of town or incapacitated, but we should give the cache owner a chance to correct the problem.

I would have logged a "Needs Maintenance" and detailed the situation in your online log to keep other people from wasting time. It's not a "Found it" because you never found the log, and it's not a DNF because you did find *something*. A SBA log is kinda harsh, unless the owner hasn't been active in a long time.
This is what I would have done as well. :laughing:

I think most reviewers know this kind of thing happens and take a lot of factors into account when reviewing SBAs. My son posted an SBA for a cache by mistake when he was logging a find. The cache owner is a friend and was mortified, not knowing my son's handle, until we explained the situation. RattlingCrew, our reviewer (and best ever), had already made the connections and wasn't concerned. No harm, no foul.