quick ? on paperless caching

i've gone paperless, but it's been awhile since using it. i'm currenlty using garmin etrex vista c and magellan meridian platinum for gpsr's, gsak on the pc, and cachemate on my sony clie. my question is when i get my pq's through email and i unzip the file, there are two files, for example 1256844 and 1256844-wpts . what is the difference between the 2 files? thanks

How does Cachemate handle duplicate waypoints when exporting files from GSAK? Does it overwrite or will there be two of the same items?

Just tell GSAK to open the file you received--GSAK will take care of everything else. You can even export from GSAK in Cachemate format for syncing with your PDA.

Hope this helps...

Phil/ve1bvd

How does Cachemate handle duplicate waypoints when exporting files from GSAK? Does it overwrite or will there be two of the same items?

Cachemate is very smart. It updates items already in your database, and adds the new ones.

Periodically, I delete the Not Found database in Cachemate and refresh it with an new Export from my GSAK database. That gets rid of any newly Archived or Disabled caches that are in that database from previous data Exports.

You know that you can send the child waypoints to our GPSr and Cachemate. I never found them to be useful, because you would never know which parent had children until I made this change in GSAK.

When you generate the file for cachemate, put this in the Cachemate Waypoint box (not the name) - %code %children %code-%c_prefix and then increase the maximum characters to 11.

This will rename the child waypoints to the same name as the parent plus the child prefix. That way when you search, or look on the list, you will see both and know there is a child. You can then look up the name using the prefix. GCabcd-PR would be the child of GCabcd and you would look up PRabcd on the GPSr in the Waypoint find, not the Geocache find.

No more manually entering in parking co-ord. that you already have stored.

Keep in mind that I am using the Palm version of cachemate, so YMMV.

You know that you can send the child waypoints to our GPSr and Cachemate. I never found them to be useful, because you would never know which parent had children until I made this change in GSAK.

When you generate the file for cachemate, put this in the Cachemate Waypoint box (not the name) - %code %children %code-%c_prefix and then increase the maximum characters to 11.

This will rename the child waypoints to the same name as the parent plus the child prefix. That way when you search, or look on the list, you will see both and know there is a child. You can then look up the name using the prefix. GCabcd-PR would be the child of GCabcd and you would look up PRabcd on the GPSr in the Waypoint find, not the Geocache find.

No more manually entering in parking co-ord. that you already have stored.

Hey, nice trick. Thanks.