Getting a new GPS? Think about this.

Well I just bought a new Garmin map60csx off Ebay that came brand new in the box. I was looking in the manual and in the section with the warranty there is a paragraph stating that if you buy your gps off any internet sales you are not covered by the warranty or any rebates. So I guess if I have a problem I'm out of luck. Seems like a company would back there product no matter where it came from. They are the company that made the thing? That's like saying if you bought a Ford but it wasn't from XYZ dealership the warranty is no good. I guess I just have an issue with that. But thought it was a good thing to pass on to anyone thinking about buying a new GPS. Anybody had any dealings with this yet?

I hadn't experienced this situation but it makes sense to me.

Unless you buy from a Garmin dealer i wouldn't expect anything else.

Someone could buy a unit. Use it gingerly for 6 months and then reset it and resell it on eBay as new. If they didn't register it then the new owner would be the first person to register.

I feel for you. But they do say caveat emptor.

Someone else is selling new GPS units on here. The first thing i thought is that it cant really be new because it wouldn't have a warranty.

I think many places have warranties that aren't transferable.

Did you buy from an individual, or a store selling on ebay? Many times stores that sell on ebay are also Garmin dealers, and provide you with a receipt from their main store verses the one listed on ebay. If this is the case, just check with Garmin to see if they are an authorized dealer. If they are, then you are covered.

Edited by ardfarkle

If the unit is brand new, I think you can register it and get warranty service. I'm not sure how they would know where it was sold unless you told them. I think they might be referring to used units that may still be under warranty and sold on the internet. That fine print really doesn't make sense to me.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support

Question: Does Garmin have any authorized dealers on eBay or any other online auction site?

Answer:

Garmin does not have any authorized dealers that sell new products directly on online auction sites. Any purchases made through online auction sites are on a "buyer beware" basis. A copy of the original sales receipt is required as the proof of purchase for warranty repairs. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification and Garmin will not replace any missing components from any package purchased through an online auction.

There is always the possibility that products purchased through eBay or other online auction sites could be stolen merchandise. You assume this risk when you buy through these auction sites. If you buy a Garmin product through an online auction site and later send it to Garmin for service, if the product is determined by Garmin to be stolen merchandise upon receipt at Garmin's facility (through a serial number match), Garmin reserves the right to return the product to its rightful owner or send it to the investigating law enforcement authorities.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/warranty.html

Procedure for Claims Under Non-Aviation and Aviation Limited Warranties

To obtain warranty service, an original or copy of the sales receipt from the original retailer is required. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification, and Garmin will not replace missing components from any package purchased through an online auction. Garmin retains the exclusive right to either repair or replace the unit with a "newly-overhauled" (NOH) unit or new unit at its sole discretion. The same policy shall apply to software.

If a price on ebay is way below what retailers are selling it, it's usually too good to be true.

Ask yourself how an ebayer is able to buy a unit so much below what a bulk buyer can get them for.

There is no free lunch.

Oh how true this is. This is a bigger problem on ebay than most people are willing to admit. There are loads of ways products end up on ebay being sold for less than wholesale, and none of them are kosher. I'll tell you that a lot of product ends up there because people who have access to an employee purchase program or 'pro deal' through their employer end up selling what they buy through that program. Usually, the EP price is less than wholesale, so a profit can be made. Manufacturers and retailers make every effort they can to bust people abusing their EP program, but people still sneak through the cracks.

Yes, receiving stolen product is another possibility. Employees, opportunistic thieves, and even professional thieves sell 'new in box' product on ebay quite regularly...ebay in a way keeps these people in business.

Another big problem on ebay is counterfeit merchandise. It's not such an issue with electronics, but don't ever go on ebay looking for North Face or Arc'Teryx apparel expecting to get what you think you're buying. After having worked in outdoor retail, I've seen some of this stuff come through. Customer buys TNF jacket on ebay. Jacket rips, knows that my store deals in TNF and can handle warranties/repairs, brings in said jacket to be sent to TNF. Looks like a TNF jacket to me, so I send it off. TNF gets jacket, notices jacket is not one of their products, and sends it back without repairs to a rather disgruntled customer.

Garmin I'm sure has some sort of stipulation in their authorized dealer program that prohibits stores from selling their merchandise on ebay. By having that prohibition, they can isolate ebay sellers from their warranty program because they KNOW that none of their authorized dealers sell there...so the merchandise MUST be stolen or obtained through other shady means. This is how they protect the dealers who legitimately sell their products (and themselves) from fraud.

One of the major problem Garmin had with Ebay sellers was when they occasionally have mail-in rebates. The seller would get the rebate and hence sell the unit for less than retail and the buyer assumed they would be getting one too on top of the good price. Nope, one rebate per unit.

Bought GPS76cx on the internet, got rebate, am happy.

There is always the possibility that products purchased through eBay or other online auction sites could be stolen merchandise. You assume this risk when you buy through these auction sites. If you buy a Garmin product through an online auction site and later send it to Garmin for service, if the product is determined by Garmin to be stolen merchandise upon receipt at Garmin's facility (through a serial number match), Garmin reserves the right to return the product to its rightful owner or send it to the investigating law enforcement

I wonder if you request a serial number prior to purchase from the eBay seller if Garmin will tell you if it is stolen or not. Of course i doubt most users who have their GPS stolen report it to Garmin.

Well I just bought a new Garmin map60csx off Ebay that came brand new in the box. I was looking in the manual and in the section with the warranty there is a paragraph stating that if you buy your gps off any internet sales you are not covered by the warranty or any rebates. So I guess if I have a problem I'm out of luck. Seems like a company would back there product no matter where it came from. They are the company that made the thing? That's like saying if you bought a Ford but it wasn't from XYZ dealership the warranty is no good. I guess I just have an issue with that. But thought it was a good thing to pass on to anyone thinking about buying a new GPS. Anybody had any dealings with this yet?

I think that you may be misinterpreting what it says.

Buying electronics from an e-tailer is nothing new.

Also, many online sellers are Ebay Express sellers.

As long as they are authorized Garmin resellers you're OK.

Register your unit with Garmin ASAP and enjoy the benefits

that Garmin gives their customers.

I wonder if you request a serial number prior to purchase from the eBay seller if Garmin will tell you if it is stolen or not. Of course i doubt most users who have their GPS stolen report it to Garmin.

I doubt if Garmin would even have such a database of stolen GPS. Think about, how many police departments are going to call Garmin about one of their units being stolen? If they did this for everyone stolen electronic device on the market, the police would have no time to do anything else.

If you are expecting to get a used unit on Ebay, you can get some great bargains. The keyword is USED.

Ebay Express or it's sister, Amazon are fine but I don't see any too good to be true deals there either. In fact, I see some way over priced units there like the $349 Explorist 500. I also suspect some units might be refurbished but still covered under Garmin's warranty. I guess emailing or phoning Garmin to find out if they honor their warranty on Ebay express would be the best option.

Myself if I were to buy online, I like Walmart. Fair prices and 90 day return policy at any store, no questions asked.

And yes, a $349 Explorist 500 on Ebay express

http://item.express.ebay.com/__GPS-Devices...cmdZExpressItem

I doubt if Garmin would even have such a database of stolen GPS. Think about, how many police departments are going to call Garmin about one of their units being stolen? If they did this for everyone stolen electronic device on the market, the police would have no time to do anything else.

They have a database for sure.

Whether or not they share it is a different story.

Its not about police departments calling Garmin. If a unit gets sent in for repair and it has been reported stolen then Garmin can give it back to the rightful owner.

Myself if I were to buy online, I like Walmart. Fair prices and 90 day return policy at any store, no questions asked.

Ummmm....I used to work at WalMart...I can assure you, Walmart RARELY has anywhere NEAR the best prices online. Do some research online before buying, and you'll find that out yourself.

Also, YES, knight2000 is correct, RETURNS FOR ELECTRONICS at Walmart is NOT 90 days. I thought it was 30 or 45 days, but I KNOW for sure its definately NOT 90.

How will the manufacturer know whether you got the unit off ebay or not?

If you look at most warranty cards, they require you to send in an original, or at least a copy of your sales receipt WITH the warranty or registration card, to be covered by warranty.

THATS how they know.

Also, as retail technology improves, you'll notice lots of manufacturers, ESPECIALLY those who make electronics, are putting barcodes on the outside of the packages that contain the serial number to the item. I'm sure they keep a database of where each individual item gets distributed to.

Also, RETAILERS have the ability to log in serial numbers when they receive these shipments from manufactureers or distributors. Then, when these retailers sell the item to the consumer, they keep track of that also. Just look at your sales receipts. Many show the serial number of the item.

So when you send in a copy of the sales receipt to register for warranty coverage, the manufacturer closes the loop on each individual item.

The system is not yet foolproof, and there are holes, but its making it harder for stolen goods, and people who try to scam on warranties, to get away with it.

My first GPS was a GPSMAP 76CS that I purchased from an individual on eBay. It was new, in the box. I registered it with Garmin when I received it. Not too long after I got it I had a problem. I had purchased an external antenna and the plug end came off in the socket on the back of the unit. I utterly destroyed the socket trying to extract the piece.

I called Garmin and told them what had happened. I said that I realized that I had screwed it up on my own and it wouldn't be covered under warranty but asked if they could fix it for me and bill me. They said not to worry and to send it in. They replaced the unit with a new one. No questions asked. Garmin customer support ROCKS.

They have a database for sure.

Whether or not they share it is a different story.

Its not about police departments calling Garmin. If a unit gets sent in for repair and it has been reported stolen then Garmin can give it back to the rightful owner.

Also, if someone tries to unlock new maps to a GPSr reported to be stolen, I would hope it will be flagged. Not sure what would happen from there - perhaps the maps will not be unlocked - hopefully local law enforcement agencies would be notified as well.