Garmin City Navigator South Africa V6

flyjazz

Wondering if any of you have had an opportunity to test Garmin City Navigator South Africa V6? I'm very interested in opinions,especially those based on first hand experience.

Hi Flyjazz

I personally have not seen Navigator version 6. We are Garmin agents and of course our product is better than any one else's :D I am currently using Garmap Southern Africa Street maps version 1 and have found this far better than Navigator version 5.

The maps cover Malawi, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana and Namibia. A large amount of smaller towns now also have street names. Garmap is currently updating their maps and Southern Africa Street maps version 1,5 is now available on DVD for R26-00 for the disk and R228-00 for the upgrade from version 1.

I have found that the local product is updated far more frequently than the City Navigator deries.

...Southern Africa Street maps version 1,5 is now available on DVD for R26-00 for the disk and R228-00 for the upgrade from version 1....

Hi Geoff,

Is V1.5 in the shops already? The last I heard was that it was only going to be released next week sometime. I'm waiting on tenterhooks for the upgrade!

For exact pricing check out Garmap Website. The mid year release is free if your software is up to date.

There's a whole bunch of new products out as well, including the much anticipated combined Streetmaps and Topo.

Available already? And isn't version 1,5 a free upgrade for owners of version 1,0? On Garmap forums they are actually apologizing for the delay in release! :D

Yup, was released today, (or yesterday) but you might have some trouble finding a dealer to give your R26 to.

Received our DVD for Southern Africa Streetmaps version 1,5 today and for those who have Southern Africa Streetmaps version 1 the upgrade is free.

Zastron in the Free State is one of my checks and they now have streets and street names, also the corrections put through from us have been added to the new version.

Just a word of caution - the new install takes version 1 out of the map product select, so there is no comparison of version 1 to version 1,5.

I been to the web site and should be able to upgrade but how does one do that? CAn we not just download from the website? Or what? go into the shop and say hi I want my upgrade and walk out with it for free? or am I missing the boat? I also keen to find out like Global Rat what the Rec and Topo has to offer - Anyone?

The Paviolion in Westville is a KZN Stockest I will try and check there for you Nevile...

I been to the web site and should be able to upgrade but how does one do that? CAn we not just download from the website? Or what? go into the shop and say hi I want my upgrade and walk out with it for free? or am I missing the boat? I also keen to find out like Global Rat what the Rec and Topo has to offer - Anyone?

The Paviolion in Westville is a KZN Stockest I will try and check there for you Nevile...

You can't download it - it all fits onto a DVD! If you already have V1, you only pay about R50 for the disk and register free of charge. If you have an earlier version, or no earlier version, you pay online when you register the software - the price ranges from about R200 to R2,500, depending on what you currently have. If you register with the GARMAP forum (www.garmap.co.za/Forum) you can find out all the details there!

It will be good if you can check out the Pavalion for me! If you manage to get a copy, let me know and I will collect from you (maybe when you come to Hilton later!).

Thank you for all your responses. I had a look at the product infomation for Southern Africa Streetmaps V1.5 on the Garmap website. From what I can see,it indicates this product will auto-route. Do I assume it auto-routes on a PC only,or will it auto-route on compatible Garmin GPS units? Considering I don't own a previous version of this software,it makes it a bit expensive,especially for someone like myself that lives overseas and would only use it on my annual one month visit to South Africa. I could acquire Garmin City Navigator South Africa V6 for R850.00,that's quite a bit less,granted it's not as good as the Southern Africa Streetmaps V1.5.

Did you upgrade to the combined version SOUTHERN AFRICA STREETMAPS, TOPO & REC V1.5?

Yes - it cost me just under R400.

Obviously early days, but would like to hear your comments on the product. Come across any anomolies?

Can one choose to load just the streetmaps or the topo into ones GPSr, or are they integrated as one mapset?

If one mapset, have the mapset objects been categorised so that one can disable some of the objects, for example disable contour detail etc.

In the separate versions, the Topo had all those obscure dirtroads on. Are these roads now routable or are they just included in the mapset as a viewable image?

Obviously early days, but would like to hear your comments on the product. Come across any anomolies?

Can one choose to load just the streetmaps or the topo into ones GPSr, or are they integrated as one mapset?

If one mapset, have the mapset objects been categorised so that one can disable some of the objects, for example disable contour detail etc.

In the separate versions, the Topo had all those obscure dirtroads on. Are these roads now routable or are they just included in the mapset as a viewable image?

No anomolies noted as yet.

You have the choice of loading streetmaps on its own (max size about 100MB), or with parts of topo or topo on its own. Topo includes all the streetmaps detail so, depending on how much SD card capacity your GPSr has, you can load topo (or parts of it) and also have streetmaps functionality included for those parts of topo you have loaded. The entire topo mapset is over 800MB in size! In my case, I only have 256MB capacity on my GPSr, so I've loaded the entire streetmaps mapset, which used up just under half of my capacity, then I loaded the topo mapsets that I require in the foreseeable future, up to the remaining capacity.

As far as I am aware, you cannot disable any of the objects imbedded in the mapsets - you can, however, manage the POI's that you wish to load onto your GPSr.

The topo roads are not routable. However, even in topo, the roads that are routable in streetmaps are routable in topo.

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the prompt feedback Neville. Also spotted Shorty's description on the Garmap forum.

Little concerned about the rumblings of only being able to load on one PC with the new DVD release. There's a workaround at the moment, but if this is a sign of things to come :D

I enquired at Cape Union Mart in Hyde Park in passing over the weekend, they were absolutely clueless. Will check up with the store I normally get from tomorrow.

Edited by GlobalRat

Has anyone opted/tried SOUTHERN AFRICA STREETMAPS, TOPO & REC V1.5?

I upgraded to TOPO & REC V1.5 as well as the free upgrade to Streetmaps v1.5. I use the topo for hiking etc. The topo map is now autoroutable - you don't need to get the streetmap v1.5 as well, unless you are short of memory, or want the maps of the neighbouring counties.

Has anyone opted/tried SOUTHERN AFRICA STREETMAPS, TOPO & REC V1.5?

I upgraded to TOPO & REC V1.5 as well as the free upgrade to Streetmaps v1.5. I use the topo for hiking etc. The topo map is now autoroutable - you don't need to get the streetmap v1.5 as well, unless you are short of memory, or want the maps of the neighbouring counties.

Thanks, I upgraded last week. I've loaded the Topo version which has the same coverage and does include maps of neighbouring countries. The streetmaps only version will be good for those not interested in Topo or have a memory constraint (103mb versus 824mb). If your GPSr can take memory cards, time to buy some, they're relatively inexpensive nowadays (compared to a year ago). I'm considering purchasing a separate microSD card for my other maps. Loading the full sets of maps takes too much time. <_<

If your GPSr can take memory cards, time to buy some, they're relatively inexpensive nowadays (compared to a year ago). I'm considering purchasing a separate microSD card for my other maps.

If you live in KZN, there's a place in Pinetown (Pinecrest Centre) called PC Zone that is selling Kingston 1GB SD Cards for R99. I've loaded the entire v1.5 Topo & Rec mapset onto it. No need to load the v1.5 SM as well, as the topo mapset includes everything that SM has, plus more.

Hi guys,

First post here on the forums, still a newbie with regards to geocaching, but getting there! :)

Thank you for all your responses. I had a look at the product infomation for Southern Africa Streetmaps V1.5 on the Garmap website. From what I can see,it indicates this product will auto-route. Do I assume it auto-routes on a PC only,or will it auto-route on compatible Garmin GPS units? Considering I don't own a previous version of this software,it makes it a bit expensive,especially for someone like myself that lives overseas and would only use it on my annual one month visit to South Africa. I could acquire Garmin City Navigator South Africa V6 for R850.00,that's quite a bit less,granted it's not as good as the Southern Africa Streetmaps V1.5.

Flyjazz,

I received a second hand Garmin GPS V as a gift a while ago, it's one of the first models that came out, with City Navigator v4! Map coverage was very poor. After struggling to out out what the differences between the map products were (GarMAP city select vs. GarMIN city navigator) I had the same problem as you.

Either upgrade to city select v6, buy a new copy of Garmap, or sell the unit and buy a new one.

I opted to upgrade my city select software to v6. it cost me about R530 for the unlock code, and I can tell you that more than 90% of the roads are covered, and are auto-routable. Might not be as good as the garmap product (never used it, so can't comment) but for R500 odd bucks, I'm very happy!

Welcome T-Rex180 to the forums and Geocaching.

Lots of things to do, if you should be in the Jhb. area, there is an Event organized for 9 September near Hartbeespoort dam. I would recommend that you try to attend the Sp"Ring" bash, all welcome and a great group of guys and girls - the warmest welcome I can assure you. Do a search for Sp"Ring" for more info otherwise contact us here. :blink:

Welcome T-Rex180 to the forums and Geocaching.

Lots of things to do, if you should be in the Jhb. area, there is an Event organized for 9 September near Hartbeespoort dam. I would recommend that you try to attend the Sp"Ring" bash, all welcome and a great group of guys and girls - the warmest welcome I can assure you. Do a search for Sp"Ring" for more info otherwise contact us here. :huh:

Thanks LeonW,

There really is a lot of caches in and around Joburg! We're from the Vaal, and I actually work in Joburg, so like you said I've got lots to do! :(

Would love to go to the event on the 9th, just a pity its on a Sunday. Will see what I can do, but thanks for the invitation!

T-Rex180

Can understand that a Sunday may be a problem, but believe me that the spirit in which this game is played does not in anyway try and lessen a religious day. Hope that you could understand this, as it is the first time it will be held on a Sunday. We will attend and enjoy the outdoors as it was intended by the "Higher Hand".

If possible your family will also appreciate this wonderful way that we get to meet new friends. For that we are grateful and I can assure you that we feel completely at ease with the camaraderie and geocaching community. I vouch for them.

It is the first time that we actually got to do an activity as a family, and to help you understand the community better I would say one third of them are parents and over 50ish (count me here), one third are children that help in doing the ground work, and the remainder are the fit and competitive group of 20ish guys and girls.

Please give it a try as a family, you will not regret it.

I sent you a private message.

LeonW

Hi Leon,

Thanks for the private message, really appreciate it, makes one really feel welcome!

Will definitely try to attend the event, permitting there's not anything specific happening at church on that particular Sunday. Will know closer to the time.

Discribing the age groups in the community does help a lot, initially it would've been only me and my girlfriend( we fall into the 20ish category)who would be going, but her parents and uncle are also quite interested in geocaching (they all went along to our first find), so I might get them along aswell!

I'll be in touch!

:):blink: Hi, can anyone help?

Have installed Stretmap V1.5 sucessfully, now trying to install and unlock Topo and Rec 1.5 and it takes me in circles, in order to unlock you either have to register as "registered user", doing this when completing step 2 just show your previous products, not the Topo Rec 1.5. Registering as new user ask for a registration code which does not come with the DVD???

Avnic is not much of help either just telling re-install everything from scratch.

Fed up somehow.

Cache Fan :):D

Hi Cache-Fan

Have you tried the Garmap forums? go to Garmap.co.za , register and then you will be able to post in the forums. Great group of people, very knowledgeable and helpful. :)

Can't remember but I think you should use the second (bottom) option to register for the Ver.1,5 Topo, which will take you through an automated installation and pay cycle. The GPS units serial number is the key here, jot it down from the unit before connecting the unit to the PC and doing the install. Also reboot the DVD each time for a New product install ! Take note !

Otherwise contact Anvic Monday when the guys has recovered from a hectic week.

Greetings

LeonW

Hi Cache-Fan

Have you tried the Garmap forums? go to Garmap.co.za , register and then you will be able to post in the forums. Great group of people, very knowledgeable and helpful. :anicute:

Can't remember but I think you should use the second (bottom) option to register for the Ver.1,5 Topo, which will take you through an automated installation and pay cycle. The GPS units serial number is the key here, jot it down from the unit before connecting the unit to the PC and doing the install. Also reboot the DVD each time for a New product install ! Take note !

Greetings

LeonW

Hi Cache-Fan

LeonW is quite right.

Select the option 'I do not have a 20 digit product key',

Select Southern African Topo and Recreation and streetmaps 1,5

Select 'I want this product'

Connect your GPS and have yor serial number handy,

The wizard will guide through the rest of the installation and payment.

Hi Cache-Fan

Have you tried the Garmap forums? go to Garmap.co.za , register and then you will be able to post in the forums. Great group of people, very knowledgeable and helpful. :lol:

Greetings

LeonW

Hi Cache-Fan

LeonW is quite right.

Select the option 'I do not have a 20 digit product key',

Select Southern African Topo and Recreation and streetmaps 1,5

Select 'I want this product'

Connect your GPS and have yor serial number handy,

The wizard will guide through the rest of the installation and payment.

Still going in circles, AVNIC actually advises the the Topo and Rec maps are to be additional purchased...

"The Topographical map is an additional map set so you will need to pay for the unlock code."...

I really do not belief this anymore, paying in access of R800,00 for the upgrade package for Streetmap V1.5 but not be able to unlock to Topo's.

Still going in circles, AVNIC actually advises the the Topo and Rec maps are to be additional purchased...

"The Topographical map is an additional map set so you will need to pay for the unlock code."...

I really do not belief this anymore, paying in access of R800,00 for the upgrade package for Streetmap V1.5 but not be able to unlock to Topo's.

I had no hassles. Remember that the DVD you have actually has a number of products on.. also has the Africa maps etc. However, these require separate licences.

If you want Topo & Rec and have never had it before you'll need to fork out the full price. Once you have that, you'll not need to bother with streetmaps as it is included in topo & rec.

Doing a bit of a punt i work for an outdoor store that may be a warehouse as well.

I have done many ppls upgrades and dont c any reason why u would not want to upgrade, as mentioned above it is a simple process that just requires the R50 dvd and then following the instructiuons.

Used the new maps in Crystal Faires last race and found them helpful.

Topo maps would be perfecty for caching but do require extra moola. I have not seen the new Topo and road maps but TeamTGF told me that it was not a huge amount above the Normal 1.5 maps

Any more assistance most stores should be able to help, some will even do it for u and load firmware updates and speed cams as well, hope this helps.

Or if ur tech savy DIY